Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lol that Titania is still taking heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ibblebibble posted:

Lol that Titania is still taking heads.

Proud of her, more of the game needs to put that sort of fear of god into whoever dares fight it.

It's why variant dungeons are great, even without going into criterion those bosses don't gently caress around.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Robo Reagan posted:

SE needs to turn their poo poo down a bit because ShB story 8mans were tough but the first 8 man is going so badly that everyone keeps dropping or voting to abandon. poo poo like this is why I just use trusts now because at least they're programmed to drag you over the finish line

Which fight do you mean exactly?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yeah difference is that stuff is optional and outside of story content

honestly if zenos get all the time to menacingly walk at you in story mission fights i feel the trial dudes should be a solo at this point then add in something else for trials

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fear the King of the Fairies.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Maybe they meant the EW 1st trial. And that fighter is a banger (the EX not so much).

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah the Titania fight is still pretty easy to fail for new folks because there's lots of overlapping mechanics and a dps check that can still be tough if people are dying all the time.

It's a great fight though, so screw changing it or watering it down.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah difference is that stuff is optional and outside of story content

honestly if zenos get all the time to menacingly walk at you in story mission fights i feel the trial dudes should be a solo at this point then add in something else for trials

Yeah, it doesn't matter if you're talking about the ShB or EW first trial, you can manage this, all you have to do is actually pay attention. I would rate the hardest MSQ/trial/raid content as like, a 3/10 tops. (And I'm not sure I'd put the first EW trial at 3.)

If anything the game needs more things that roll in that 3-6/10 range where it's not a sleepwalk, but doesn't breach the 'Homework Zone' where you're reasonably expected to be watching guides and doing prog runs before you've got a chance of winning.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Do potsherds drop from the extreme variants as well? or just the normal mode?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Criterion rather than Variant dungeons drop a different currency, if that's what you mean.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The fact that story trials still have a shred of difficulty should be applauded and protected.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I agree. Like I'm not gonna sit here and be like "earn your fun, scrub" but like the bar on completing MSQ difficulty content is so low that I feel like by the point you're in shadowbringers you should be expected to demonstrate you have a pulse and can push your buttons more than once every 5 seconds or have like the slightest amount of pattern recognition.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They should halve the HP of the Nier raids and double the HP of LotA/Syrcus, I wanna see the platforms again. Also bring back old TGC.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the biggest killer in titania is generally the tanks not tanking the correct adds, then the healers get smacked and it spirals from there. if you just tell them explicitly to tank puck and peaseblossom and ignore mustardseed things usually go pretty smoothly.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I do think the difficulty of MSQ content increases at 71 and again at 81. But by then the game has spent a lot of time trying to teach you how to do mechanics.

Edit: I used to think the Nier raids had too much HP too but that is entirely a player skill issue. The problem is half the dps spending half of every fight dead. When those raids were part of the last moogle tomestone event I ran them every day and by week 4, nobody was dying and the raids were fast and smooth. Good luck finding 23 people who remember what to do!

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 20, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not an unreasonable leap, it's not like you're suddenly having to do Extremes level content, just a bump in difficulty, maybe you have to pass a DPS check not designed for braindead cats.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

They do not; I did it yesterday with friends on a 620-ish WAR that had less HP than our upper 640s DNC.

I did a little bit of testing with this last night. It'll scale you up to the HP of a tank at your item level.

Went in on my 645 BLM, had something like 100k HP.
Went in on my 625 PLD, had ~95k.
Scrounged around for gear to get my BLM to 625, and ended up ~95k.

Main stats didn't change though, so it's just an HP bump to let you take tankbusters raw if you don't want to run Rampart.

I thought about testing if the mobs HP scaled based on your stats but I don't think they would - if you're solo it'd be easy enough but once you start throwing more people into the mix I don't think they have a way to average out those iLvls especially since you can change gear and jobs mid-instance. So they only scale to the number of players who enter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I died to Titania earlier this week because we went in with Blu Only and one of the guys who said he was going to tank couldn't, but it was resolved by my swapping to a tank set.

I discovered that unlocking spells is so much easier if you just go in as tank.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I died to Titania earlier this week because we went in with Blu Only and one of the guys who said he was going to tank couldn't, but it was resolved by my swapping to a tank set.

I discovered that unlocking spells is so much easier if you just go in as tank.

It sure helps with the issue of the tank role guy saying "oh, I didn't know about Frog Legs" after the boss nukes somebody else (you) with a tank buster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It sure helps with the issue of the tank role guy saying "oh, I didn't know about Frog Legs" after the boss nukes somebody else (you) with a tank buster.

Yeah I found my life was a lot easier when I decided to just go through the spell list and find the spells that matched up the closest with common skills and fill them in and then just fill the rest in with unique utility or Primal damage spells.

Admittedly we're reaching the point now where there are so many primal/unique cooldown spells that you gotta drop something.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah after this tier I'll have to make some hard choices about my general use blu hotbars because there's a few more things that feel like must-have abilities than there is room to slot them. And while I hate dropping Primal abilities, something like Suzaku's kick is gonna be the most likely thing to go.

I will never not use Matra Magic on my DPS role hotbars though, it's just too satisfying to watch those numbers fly. Everything else can go before that does.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thundarr posted:

"I just say I'm tank, suck one of them in Limsa, and equip all abilities that do something special in tank stance right?"

I need to take a fresh look at my loadouts and make sure they make sense. Jokes aside it can be really easy to overlook something when you're building your own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speaking of which has anyone actually spaded out what gives Sea Shanty its boost? Like does it work in trials like Susano or Ramuh?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Awesome! posted:

the biggest killer in titania is generally the tanks not tanking the correct adds, then the healers get smacked and it spirals from there. if you just tell them explicitly to tank puck and peaseblossom and ignore mustardseed things usually go pretty smoothly.

Second biggest killer is tanks tanking the adds too much and not coming back to the stack markers, which can lead to some really spicy damage if a DPS or healer is dead or just refusing to stack.

It's fine to get away from your add after you have aggro, it will continue to hit you, I promise :eng99:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i had a titania the other day where the second tank seemingly could not parse the idea of him having to tank something no matter how much we explained it to him

we had to literally trick him into it by having the tank shirk puck onto him and then running as far away as possible and not hitting it until the other two were dead. and then he happily popped tank cooldowns. :psyduck:

the only thing i can think of is that someone got really mad at him for having tank stance on when he wasnt the main tank once and he misunderstood it as turning it on at any point is a sin

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

the only thing i can think of is that someone got really mad at him for having tank stance on when he wasnt the main tank once and he misunderstood it as turning it on at any point is a sin

Speaking of which, I've had a couple of times recently where I'm tanking, the other tank's threat will spike and they stay standing in the dps pack. I'm not talking about them doing more damage than me and pulling ahead naturally, I'll drop from red to yellow which means they either threw a Tomahawk (or other tank's equivalent, none of which are in a normal melee rotation) if it's early in the fight or they taunted. In either case, you're actively trying to add threat so why wouldn't you move accordingly?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sounds like compulsive "Always Be Casting" when they moved out of a danger zone and a bit of auto pilot. I have to be mindful not to reflexively throw two +threat ranged out every single time I move out as off tank.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

some tanks think provoke should be pressed on cooldown

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I mean, if they want to take it they can have it, I'm in the "both tanks attack and find out who has enough dps to hold" it school of roulette tanking, but position accordingly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah if you're gonna big dick measuring tank you need to be positioned appropriately, ie away from the DPS and healers. Honestly unless there's a cleave off tank should just stand right next to main tank

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
ShB is where bosses consistently dole out vuln stacks if you miss a mechanic, on top of whatever else you get hit with, making it more likely that the next miss or a raidwide will kill you, so that is definitely a bump up in difficulty. That pops up earlier in a few cases but I believe that’s when it consistently becomes “pay close attention to what the boss is doing or else listen to party chat”.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Having said that I do largely play tank so I am used to accumulating vuln stacks like delicious candy

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Oneiros posted:

some tanks think provoke should be pressed on cooldown

They're right

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I used to think one tank(MT) should have stance on at pull and the other(OT) leave it off until a tank swap, but after aggro issues with my various OTs during ex6 I discovered my aggro issues were due to my dps being absolutely dogshit. so I learned how to play drk better!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dumb question - I want to mine some Raw Onyxes. Yet whenever I go to the timed nodes, they are always saying "You can collect a collectible here!" I don't want to collect a collectible, I want to mine raw onyx. I must have something set to "grab collectible," but how do I turn it off?

Or is this why Raw Onyxes seem to be really valuable? :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are you mining normal Raw Onyx or Rarified Raw Onyx? Collectables are separate items from normal ones with their own nodes and schedules

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

YggiDee posted:

Are you mining normal Raw Onyx or Rarified Raw Onyx? Collectables are separate items from normal ones with their own nodes and schedules
I am trying to get normal raw onyx but the stuff I find all points at what is now the Rarefied Raw Onyx node.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Normal Raw Onyx is The Caliban Gorge in The Tempest, X 15.9 Y 21.6, it's between 00:00 and 02:00, and 12:00 to 14:00 Eorzea Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

YggiDee posted:

Normal Raw Onyx is The Caliban Gorge in The Tempest, X 15.9 Y 21.6, it's between 00:00 and 02:00, and 12:00 to 14:00 Eorzea Time.
No wonder I wasn't finding it! At least it's not hideously inaccessible save to legacy accounts.