Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

my feeling with megathreads is that they kinda turn into subforums of their own with local characters and moderation that make them unfriendly to new posters and also produce behaviour that would probably be unacceptable outside those threads. they just make moderation harder and turn general bullshit into piles of specific bullshit

yeah i basically totally ignore megathreads unless i got in at the ground floor. but the sub thread is a good exam,ple of why they need regular reboots. they should be constantly re-assessed to see if this really needs another megathread, and indeed the local thread culture should be broken up and re-examined in case they're getting a little too "weirdo freaks" as som emight put it. as has happened often with gbs megathreads......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

my feeling with megathreads is that they kinda turn into subforums of their own with local characters and moderation that make them unfriendly to new posters and also produce behaviour that would probably be unacceptable outside those threads. they just make moderation harder and turn general bullshit into piles of specific bullshit

sounds like you might make a pretty good moderator

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

b mad at me posted:

as has been proven, I would not

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

b mad at me posted:

don't insult and slander posters itt please

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, my issue isn't the rebooting but the time table, especially with how many megathreads there are right now - that's a lot of turnover pretty often

To me it should probably be more of a case-by-case thing. If they start getting insular and weird, absolutely reboot 'em fast, but others could be fine barring things like info in the OP needing updated.

There definitely needs to be something done to reduce the weird tribalism that keeps cropping up in certain threads in GBS.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Cthulu Carl posted:

the weird tribalism that keeps cropping up

that IS GBS, unfortunately

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

b mad at me posted:

that IS GBS, unfortunately

and my own opinion on it is that if you stifle and snuff out that "weird tribalism"

you kill the very thing that makes these forums alive and vibrant

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ewwww light mode.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sorry in advance for the long post but I'd like to propose the following, after reading all this stuff since the start (and not contributing much, because I'm moving, but that's by the by)

*GBS is still a web 1.0 forum but is gradually becoming a kinder and more welcoming place. Schoolyard insults like gay and aids shouldn't be blanket banned but if you post it in a thread and someone is upset enough to report it, you're gonna get a sixer and if you keep posting where you're not wanted you'll eventually get ramped up and lose $10. Read the room.

*Mods should try to understand actual instances of ableism, racism, homophobia, transphobia etc and gradually learn to get a read on them. In the meantime if an instance of something serious is reported, mods should take it seriously without assuming some posting vendetta is going on, google around or reach out, then act on it quickly. This is a lot worse than word filter poo poo. If a mistake is made apologize sincerely and do better. If mods aren't willing or able to do this they can't moderate a community.

*GBS is a big open forum and is the first place people who come to the site will really see. Smaller subforums are more like friendship groups and know who each other are, and can moderate themselves wrt to language, slurs and such. Just because another forum does something doesn't mean GBS can do it. We need to be at a standard that allows anyone to post here and mods need to clamp down not just on instances of rule breaking but also lovely posting that makes GBS a less user friendly place. If this means more mods and IKs to keep an eye on this forum then ugh so be it.

*Connected: Forum wars aren't happening, posters are concerned that the main part of the forums they post in is lovely and it's ok to try to fix it.

*As an aside, megathreads should be tolerated because people love them for some reason but they go rotten and can be unwelcoming to new posters. They should either be rebooted monthly or, in the unlikely occurance that they turn out to be actually good could be moved to the subforum they are better suited for, to allow posters to find new and cool friends and places to post.

I'd really like to assume good faith with the mods, and that they will try to handle issues they don't directly understand a bit better in the future. If a mod is repeatedly making terrible calls and doubling down on mistakes, they should be removed. Anyway I care about these dumb forums I hope we can fix them.

:thanks:

iawtp minus the megathread thing. I don't have a dog in that fight.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

rydiafan posted:

Ewwww light mode.

... there's a dark mode?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

b mad at me posted:

and my own opinion on it is that if you stifle and snuff out that "weird tribalism"

you kill the very thing that makes these forums alive and vibrant

If getting weirdly aggro at other goons simply for having the temerity to post in other forums on this site is what makes GBS "alive and vibrant" then it deserves to die.

That poo poo makes things worse not better, dude.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

... there's a dark mode?

Yup. It's in your user control panel under edit options.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im a new...ish poster and came to sa because of a megathread, and it was very illuminating um, eye opening LOL when i posted outside that thread for the first time and found that the rest of the site was... not like the mega. which turned out to be a good thing, because that was the thread that was by that point crucifying itself to defend italians and had just had new rule changes to ban "crazy" and "psycho", and that was making me rethink this site. so i think thats what can happen when these mega threads just go on and on and on and the only set of eyes left on the thread are their regulars, trigger happy iks, and new impressionable users

the rest of them feel near impenetrable except weed and making GBS threads and pissing i guess

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Anyone who doesn't like megathread culture is just an Everest climber who's mad they're being put on blast, actually.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
on the plus side, some threads have stricter standards than the rest of gbs

wizard master will not be tolerated in the UK thread for example

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Cthulu Carl posted:

If getting weirdly aggro at other goons simply for having the temerity to post in other forums on this site is what makes GBS "alive and vibrant" then it deserves to die.

That poo poo makes things worse not better, dude.

That is not what I meant, and I thank you for responding.

I meant that all goons should feel free to post anything they want in this thread.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in an environment where good megathread moderation is lacking/isn't as practical as some other slower subforums, a periodic reboot of megathreads sounds like a good idea I think. monthly might be too frequent, depending on time of year and events etc, but maybe every other month, with an added "or as soon as something big blows up/too many people start acting weirdly" just to give it a quick reset. the mods of the sagas/legends threads did the latter, and it worked out pretty nicely (regardless of how you, the reader of this post, might feel about the sagas thread/the image you have of the sagas thread personally. this is not an invitation to bicker about that thread or air your grievances)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think GBS is good except for the megathreads i don't have an interest in but i guess that's what page 2 is for. I can always just not check any subforums page 1 and navigate only to my bookmarked threads and only post there.

I think these feedback threads invite confused crusaders and bad faith agitators, who aren't viewing the forums through the lens of comedy, but suspicion and resentment.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Sorry in advance for the long post but I'd like to propose the following, after reading all this stuff since the start (and not contributing much, because I'm moving, but that's by the by)

*GBS is still a web 1.0 forum but is gradually becoming a kinder and more welcoming place. Schoolyard insults like gay and aids shouldn't be blanket banned but if you post it in a thread and someone is upset enough to report it, you're gonna get a sixer and if you keep posting where you're not wanted you'll eventually get ramped up and lose $10. Read the room.

*Mods should try to understand actual instances of ableism, racism, homophobia, transphobia etc and gradually learn to get a read on them. In the meantime if an instance of something serious is reported, mods should take it seriously without assuming some posting vendetta is going on, google around or reach out, then act on it quickly. This is a lot worse than word filter poo poo. If a mistake is made apologize sincerely and do better. If mods aren't willing or able to do this they can't moderate a community.

*GBS is a big open forum and is the first place people who come to the site will really see. Smaller subforums are more like friendship groups and know who each other are, and can moderate themselves wrt to language, slurs and such. Just because another forum does something doesn't mean GBS can do it. We need to be at a standard that allows anyone to post here and mods need to clamp down not just on instances of rule breaking but also lovely posting that makes GBS a less user friendly place. If this means more mods and IKs to keep an eye on this forum then ugh so be it.

*Connected: Forum wars aren't happening, posters are concerned that the main part of the forums they post in is lovely and it's ok to try to fix it.

*As an aside, megathreads should be tolerated because people love them for some reason but they go rotten and can be unwelcoming to new posters. They should either be rebooted monthly or, in the unlikely occurance that they turn out to be actually good could be moved to the subforum they are better suited for, to allow posters to find new and cool friends and places to post.

I'd really like to assume good faith with the mods, and that they will try to handle issues they don't directly understand a bit better in the future. If a mod is repeatedly making terrible calls and doubling down on mistakes, they should be removed. Anyway I care about these dumb forums I hope we can fix them.

:thanks:

This is good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm sure there are some bad megathreads that are too esoteric to get into, but I don't see how things like "post pictures of bad food" or "post videos of people humorously getting hit in the groin" are unapproachable or how restarting those threads is helpful.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sure there are some bad megathreads that are too esoteric to get into, but I don't see how things like "post pictures of bad food" or "post videos of people humorously getting hit in the groin" are unapproachable or how restarting those threads is helpful.

eh it's more the current event ones tbh, anyone can post 5 words or talk about lunch or whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the megathreads that are tagentially related to politics should be destroyed. the megathreads for simpsons quotes can stay.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Endorph posted:

the megathreads that are tagentially related to politics should be destroyed. the megathreads for simpsons quotes can stay.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

lol yep

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

goons dont dont turn into psychopaths in threads about simpsons memes its mock and politics threads that drive them insane

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Endorph posted:

The trump lol thread is good, though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goons dont dont turn into psychopaths in threads about simpsons memes its mock and politics threads that drive them insane

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

if you want to know when a mock thread needs to be gassed its when goons run out of things to talk about and start posting someone who is only tangentially related to the thing being mocked social media accounts or once the posters start accusing outsiders of being supporters or fans of the subject being mocked at that point theres no value in keeping it around because its turned toxic

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you want to know when a mock thread needs to be gassed its when goons run out of things to talk about and start posting someone who is only tangentially related to the thing being mocked social media accounts or once the posters start accusing outsiders of being supporters or fans of the subject being mocked at that point theres no value in keeping it around because its turned toxic

What about an all purpose schadenfreude thread? I seem to recall those existing at various periods on various subs.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The general schadenfreude thread tends to be a bit more resistant to the mock thread descent into madness because it’s not endlessly recycling the same subject until all content is inevitably exhausted

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There ya go, all the threads that are crucifying some dumb piece of poo poo can just be a dozen pages in one big "laugh at these dumb assholes getting theirs" thread. I think everyone can get behind that.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The schadenfreude thread isn't a mock thread, its more like a PYF that doesn't fit in PYF due to its content. I dont think trying to roll every mock thread into that would work, like, at all.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i think the schadenfreude thread has had to be rebooted at least once because goons started posting videos of people dying or getting mutilated in it lol so it should have someone keeping an eye on to make it doesnt turn into that poo poo again

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'd bet that if you were to put it to a vote, the majority of GBS posters would be in favor of the mega thread status quo. But because they're satisfied with the status quo, they're unlikely to show up in a feedback thread to defend them in the way that the discontented will to attack them. And, as the posters above demonstrate, it can be hard not to read such attacks as a backdoor way to achieve the longstanding goal of some to kill the politics threads they disagree with.

Feedback threads and forums are inherently going to be poor representations of the broader interest of the forum because folks who are content are going to see the vitriolic drama in them and :yikes:. Making sweeping changes because a handful of posters are vocal about certain things isn't the way to go and the forum needs a democratic mechanism to get broad input from its constituents.

And maybe I'm wrong and GBS posters actually don't like mega threads and want to kill the politics threads! Seems unlikely given how popular they are, but I guess we'll never know unless the forum gives voice to those who likely don't even know there are folks campaigning for such drastic change.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think the schadenfreude thread has had to be rebooted at least once because goons started posting videos of people dying or getting mutilated in it lol so it should have someone keeping an eye on to make it doesnt turn into that poo poo again

An IK wouldn't be a terrible idea tbh, just had a post which wasn't turbo great and definitely wasn't schadenfreude in the last few pages and some of the derails stretch off for pages - nothing a quick housekeep wouldn't sort.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd bet that if you were to put it to a vote, the majority of GBS posters would be in favor of the mega thread status quo. But because they're satisfied with the status quo, they're unlikely to show up in a feedback thread to defend them in the way that the discontented will to attack them. And, as the posters above demonstrate, it can be hard not to read such attacks as a backdoor way to achieve the longstanding goal of some to kill the politics threads they disagree with.

Feedback threads and forums are inherently going to be poor representations of the broader interest of the forum because folks who are content are going to see the vitriolic drama in them and :yikes:. Making sweeping changes because a handful of posters are vocal about certain things isn't the way to go and the forum needs a democratic mechanism to get broad input from its constituents.

And maybe I'm wrong and GBS posters actually don't like mega threads and want to kill the politics threads! Seems unlikely given how popular they are, but I guess we'll never know unless the forum gives voice to those who likely don't even know there are folks campaigning for such drastic change.

i don't think the megathreads should change but i also don't know how much credence we should give the There's Thousands Of Posters Who Agree With Me Nothing Should Change, They're Just Not Posting arguement

react to the feedback given. if it prompts more feedback, react to that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

forums parliament + also mandatory forums referendums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

a forum senate, 2 members from each forum to represent their ideals, their goals, their noble pursuits to post the goat. NO mods allowed btw