Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ro5s posted:

I say that not caring about word bearers.

How rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That video is a good guide, it's what I used to pick the books I wanted to ready prior to the Siege.

I loved the First Heretic/Know No Fear/Betrayer arc, I may not have read them if it wasn't for the suggestion.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think Ian is definitely one of the best Warhammer content creators, his focus is more on Heresy than anything but any of his videos are a good use of 20 minutes of your time. His Badab stuff is also great.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 20, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kitchner posted:

The idea that the 40K universe is completely sexless is clearly not true. However I think the problematic thing is if you say "well sexual excess and depravity is a part of Dark Eldar and Slaanesh" inevitably there's a lot of people who exclusively focus on that. Which is why I expect they are trying to move away from it as much as possible.

"Slaanesh is the god of six of the Seven Deadly Sins but Warhammer fans only care about the one because its the one they have the least experience with."

40k has an entire faction that propagates through mind control and rape, though you can hardly argue anything involved with them is sex.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Space Marines can and should be extremely homoerotic.

It would make them a bit more grounded by emulating real militaries.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Casual Encountess posted:

yeah tbqh reading all of these books like its an extended top gun volleyball scene makes it a lot more fun and takes away some of the tedium and i absolutely want to live in an extremely homoerotic space marine timeline.

also is there a guide to which books i can skip? i dont think ill even read half of the heresy books but is there a list of “the good ones” ?

Horus Rising is excellent
False Goods is okay
Galaxy in Flames is dull
Flight of the Eisenstein is dull
Fulgrim is okay
Descent of Angels is bad
Legion is great
Battle for the Abyss is bad
Mechanicum is okay
Tales of Heresy is dull
Fallen Angels is bad
A Thousand Sons is okay
Nemesis is dull
The First Heretic is great
Prospero Burns is great
Age of Darkness is dull
The Outcast Dead is okay
Deliverance Lost is bad
Know No Fear is good
The Primarchs is dull
Fear to Tread is good
Shadows of Treachery is dull
Angel Exterminautus is bad
Betrayer is great
Mark of Calth is dull
Vulkan Lives is okay
Unremembered Empire is good
Scars is great
Vengeful Spirit is good
The Damnation of Pythos is great
Legacies of Betrayal is dull
Deathfire is bad
War Without End is dull
Pharos is okay
Eye of Terra is dull
The Path of Heaven is good
The Silent War is dull
Angels of Caliban is bad
Praetorian of Dorn is good
Corax is dull
The Master of Mankind is excellent
Garro is dull
Shattered Legions is good
The Crimson King is okay
Tallarn is okay
Ruinstorm is good
Old Earth is bad
The Burden of Loyalty is dull
Wolfsbane is okay
Born of Flame is bad
Slaves to Darkness is good
Heralds of the Siege is good
Titandeath is excellent
The Buried Dagger is okay

I would recommend the first three, them any specific storylines/characters you are interested in and then the last four or five before moving to the siege.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AnEdgelord posted:

An explicit part of the SoB backstory is Goge Vandire renting them out as concubines to favored lieutenants, celibacy has never been a thing with them.

That would be a good reason for them to be celibate, actually. They weren't "Sisters" then they were "Brides" and they hate Vandire. "He whored us out, so never again will we blah blah blah."

Obviously they didn't go that way, but I don't think that part of their history is useful in proving they bone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

40k has an entire faction that propagates through mind control and rape, though you can hardly argue anything involved with them is sex.

Nobody's loving Genestealers, it's literally the Quiverfull movement with a cooler religion and an actually-achievable end of days scenario.

You get implanted with alien DNA but it throws your paternal/maternal into overdrive and then your kids get extra arms and your don't care because you're tripping balls on xenos religion and hormones.

The skeevy thing IMO was choosing the one army that co-opts your bloodline as the place to finally include a broadly diverse array of skin tones in the studio scheme and painting guide.

But the inclusivity continued into Guard and then Marines, so I think it was just a case of particularly unfortunate timing.

E: I've lost one family member and one very dear friend to two separate WHITE BABBYS FOR CHRIST cults, so I might be seeing valid but unintended parallels.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 20, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Genestealer Cults are very much Fear Of The Other, which is appropriate given the heavy Lovecraft influence. Creepy foreigners aliens polluting our pure bloodline, worshiping their weird gods, having far too many babies, underminding our authority! It will all lead to ruin!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Know No Fear is good

Imagine not thinking the book with the line "It was raining Land Raiders" is not the greatest thing ever. :colbert:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Casual Encountess posted:

yeah tbqh reading all of these books like its an extended top gun volleyball scene makes it a lot more fun and takes away some of the tedium and i absolutely want to live in an extremely homoerotic space marine timeline.

also is there a guide to which books i can skip? i dont think ill even read half of the heresy books but is there a list of “the good ones” ?

Made myself read em all over the last two years ago. There's not a whole lot of actually good stuff in there but most of it is readable, just skip anything involving salamanders or dark angels. Should go back and update this but:

The siege of terra books have been considerably better on average, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Genestealer Cults are very much Fear Of The Other, which is appropriate given the heavy Lovecraft influence. Creepy foreigners aliens polluting our pure bloodline, worshiping their weird gods, having far too many babies, underminding our authority! It will all lead to ruin!

Definitely this, but it's also a healthy mash-up of UFO religions, fun conspiracy theories, and doomsday cults.

And they've managed to keep it all from collapsing into a pile of antisemitic tropes! It's an impressive feat, since they're walking at least four different tightropes.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

moths posted:

Definitely this, but it's also a healthy mash-up of UFO religions, fun conspiracy theories, and doomsday cults.

And they've managed to keep it all from collapsing into a pile of antisemitic tropes! It's an impressive feat, since they're walking at least four different tightropes.

They got a little close to that with Leagues of Votann too. Ever since Tolkein, Dwarves have been somewhere between a callback to and a stereotype of Jews. So far I think GW has stayed on the right side of the line, and as long as they do I appreciate what feels more like representation than appropriation or stereotyping. I'm actually doing my custom League as a more overt reference, the Assembly of Yavneh, with lore about wandering after the loss of a home world.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Imagine not thinking the book with the line "It was raining Land Raiders" is not the greatest thing ever. :colbert:

That is an excellent bit

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Leagues of Votann are actually a little more explicit about the Jewish influences than normal what with enclaves of Diaspora living as second class citizens in the Imperium.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
What is the consensus on best way to paint strip plastic minis? I sprayed a bunch of custodians with Retributor Gold, and it came out grainy and more orange than gold colored.

I live in the states for product availability.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

AnEdgelord posted:

Leagues of Votann are actually a little more explicit about the Jewish influences than normal what with enclaves of Diaspora living as second class citizens in the Imperium.

Lol what? Theyre Norse miners and dwarves

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What is the consensus on best way to paint strip plastic minis? I sprayed a bunch of custodians with Retributor Gold, and it came out grainy and more orange than gold colored.

Simplee green or 90-100% isopropyl alchohol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
People read too hard into this stuff now because theres been a lot of very subtle hatred in America and we're only recently starting to be aware of it. Once burned twice shy, or something.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Al-Saqr posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarves_in_Middle-earth#Jewish_history

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Al-Saqr posted:

Simplee green or 90-100% isopropyl alchohol

I'll give it a shot!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'll give it a shot!

Seconding the Simple Green. I just have a small bucket, buy a gallon, dump it in there, then toss in minis I want to strip and come back a day (or a month if I forget) later when I remember. Water rinse to get the big chunky stuff off, tooth brush bath for the details, good to go.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

bird food bathtub posted:

Seconding the Simple Green. I just have a small bucket, buy a gallon, dump it in there, then toss in minis I want to strip and come back a day (or a month if I forget) later when I remember. Water rinse to get the big chunky stuff off, tooth brush bath for the details, good to go.

I find toothbrushing it while in the simple green before you rinse it off to be the most effective way to remove stubborn paint. I've had great results everytime I've used it so I will also recommend it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished the trophies yesterday at last. Made me wish I knew someone with a bandsaw or something as trying to get the shields done right with only a figure saw was not fun I should say. Took me more attempts than I would admit to do it.
In comparison the painting was easy, even if I made too much wash that I don't know what to do with.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What to use to strip was already said but just to add, Retributor is a very finnicky paint. Humidity effects it quite a lot and as with all metallics you really have to shake the absolute gently caress out of it before spraying.

I just had the same issue the other day with some Aquilons and it was because it was too humid. I've seen good results from people priming with a light coat of Chaos Black and then using Retributor but I'm in too deep to go changing now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

Finished the trophies yesterday at last. Made me wish I knew someone with a bandsaw or something as trying to get the shields done right with only a figure saw was not fun I should say. Took me more attempts than I would admit to do it.

Are these life-sized?!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

In comparison the painting was easy, even if I made too much wash that I don't know what to do with.

I am not sure where you live/what your friend circle is, but a glowforge or Xtool or Omtech laser would make the wooden parts of the trophy very easily, easier than a bandsaw. If you have a maker space nearby sometimes they have lasers cutter/engravers you can use.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

To make sure no one is giving the benefit of the doubt, ot wasn't merely crassly sexual like the strippers hanging off of that Duke Nukem-esque space marine; it was rape, sexual violence was the motif. Disgusting poo poo, I'm getting mad all over again just thinking about it.

What makes it worse is that the painting and modelling was Golden Daemon level. It was executed with an extreme amount of skill and a complete lack of taste.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

Are these life-sized?!

Oh hell no. It's just the regular model heads mounted on shields I made myself.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am not sure where you live/what your friend circle is, but a glowforge or Xtool or Omtech laser would make the wooden parts of the trophy very easily, easier than a bandsaw. If you have a maker space nearby sometimes they have lasers cutter/engravers you can use.

Yeah, I have no loving clue if anything like that is available in my small sized town. Have absolutely no idea if there's any makerspaces or anything here. Might be at the tech uni for all I know, but no idea if anyone can used them or it's just for students there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

What makes it worse is that the painting and modelling was Golden Daemon level. It was executed with an extreme amount of skill and a complete lack of taste.

Yes, absolutely.

Did anything come of it, by the way? Like was the creator mocked and shunned or does he swim in circles where it wasn't a problem?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh hell no. It's just the regular model heads mounted on shields I made myself.

Yeah, I have no loving clue if anything like that is available in my small sized town. Have absolutely no idea if there's any makerspaces or anything here. Might be at the tech uni for all I know, but no idea if anyone can used them or it's just for students there.

Yeah I could imagine that being an issue; I live in a small town as well. I ended up buying some 3d printers and a laser machine and I am in hobby heaven now, can produce practically anything. The only thing I am lacking is 3d CNC capability and a water jet, but cannot quite convince myself to pick up those things yet. The laser is amazing for miniature hobbyists though, makes it so very, very easy to make a ton of helpful little bits and accessories. Custom acrylic tokens for your army, customized display stands or movement trays, templates, all sorts of things. You can make things that are very didactical to totally impractical. I made a little device I call the "Quick mover", which is a modified measuring stick of sorts, it has one long side and two shaped ends, one end goes up against the minis base, and the other end has a bulbous area that the mini will fit in to exactly that is perfectly their move distance away, so it makes it super quick to move guys. Only problem is they need to be custom made for each base size and movement range, but since I have a ton of cheap mdf to cut, its no issue!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Did anything come of it, by the way? Like was the creator mocked and shunned or does he swim in circles where it wasn't a problem?

Pretty sure nothing really came of it. Especially considering it came out like early 00's or something like that. I mean these days it obviously wouldn't fly, just look at the Pimp Dorn someone made a year or two ago. But back then I doubt it would cause that much of a reaction.
Now it's just used an example of what really shouldn't be done.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Did some searching and he's still around. He is a no-poo poo god tier painter. His gallery looks like the Warcom Golden Daemon winners page.

To be perfectly fair 99% of his stuff is perfectly normal, just a couple of questionable pieces which is probably when his kink slips the leash.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Tolkien's Dwarves, which is what informs modern depictions of Dwarves, were based on Jewish culture/stereotypes.

It starts to get a little iffy when they're characterized as obsessed with gold & treasure.

Similarly, a lot of modern conspiracy theories are based on older anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and it's a hard needle to thread with GSC but they've managed it so far.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Did some searching and he's still around. He is a no-poo poo god tier painter. His gallery looks like the Warcom Golden Daemon winners page.

To be perfectly fair 99% of his stuff is perfectly normal, just a couple of questionable pieces which is probably when his kink slips the leash.

Feel free to name and shame.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Feel free to name and shame.

https://instagram.com/story1000suns

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

He looks like I can smell him through the screen

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Soviet Commubot posted:

It would make them a bit more grounded by emulating real militaries.

way back during the height of Iraq some goon called deployment something like "a roman bath house with xbox" and that image always stuck with me

Al-Saqr posted:

JRR Tolkien posted:

I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue...

The dwarves of course are quite obviously, wouldn't you say, that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic, obviously, constructed to be Semitic

now as a jew I don't think he hated jews or anything, he told Hitler to gently caress off when he wouldn't allow the german Hobbit to be published by his jewish publisher, but he was from the 1890s

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 20, 2023

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Did you remember to follow him on Binance NFT to keep track of his NFT drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cynic Jester posted:

Did you remember to follow him on Binance NFT to keep track of his NFT drops?

:shrug: who knows. I literally googled him 10 mins ago.