Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

getting paid to go gently caress yourself for 9 years tho, living the dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hmmm... NYT, was it really necessary to test them for 9 YEARS and 150 hours per vibrator for 30 models before you felt you had enough data to write this article?

Sounds like someone there did a great job convincing their editor that they needed 9 years on this story and has a really great job.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1681385924720984065

8.5 years and 4,350 hours after getting the assignment: "Yeah boss, we've nearly cracked this story. Going to need another... 6 months and 150 hours of testing to really bust this thing wide open. I'll talk to you in June."

You're falling into the trap of reading a tweet and then just blindly reacting to it in here without checking your gut reaction against the actual article, might be time to turn down the "RSS Feed" dial on your keyboard a little.

They didn't spend 9 years writing that one article - they've been writing "Best Vibrators of 20XX" every year since 2014, and they're counting up all the work spent on those nine years of articles here. 150 total hours across 11 volunteers over the course of nine years is about 1.5 hours per person per year. Not that I needed to read the article to know that, because that's how Wirecutter handles all their review articles.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
9 years to find out its the hitachi drat thats some crackerjack reporting right there. hire me to figure out circle is still best tire shape in time for my 2032 article debut

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh so really it's a meta-study like is used in all of academia

makes more sense

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Main Paineframe posted:

You're falling into the trap of reading a tweet and then just blindly reacting to it in here without checking your gut reaction against the actual article, might be time to turn down the "RSS Feed" dial on your keyboard a little.

They didn't spend 9 years writing that one article - they've been writing "Best Vibrators of 20XX" every year since 2014, and they're counting up all the work spent on those nine years of articles here. 150 total hours across 11 volunteers over the course of nine years is about 1.5 hours per person per year. Not that I needed to read the article to know that, because that's how Wirecutter handles all their review articles.

:thejoke:

They obviously haven't been exclusively masturbating for 9 years to write one article.

The New York Times posting an article saying "I spent 9 years loving myself and here's what I learned" and describing masturbating as "research" is funny.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kavros posted:

9 years to find out its the hitachi drat thats some crackerjack reporting right there. hire me to figure out circle is still best tire shape in time for my 2032 article debut

lmao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is also extremely funny to me that Hitachi was an air conditioning and heavy machinery company for most of its existance, released the magic wand as a back massager to try and break into the consumer goods market, was horrified when it started gaining popularity as a sex toy and tried to discontinue the product, eventually had several major divisions fail and went back to the Hitachi Magic Wand to make money, and are now primarily known for their unintentional sex toy that they tried to destroy out of shame.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

jokes are funny

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

jokes are funny

Jeff Dunham and I disagree.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the puppet nonce?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

the puppet nonce?

not even his most unfortunate character to date

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Incredible sex negativity from Leon itt, smdh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

well I was mostly thinking of achmed the dead terrorist

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lowkey's video about Aylan Kurdi, the toddler who drowned off the shores of Greece calls Jeff Dunham out explicitly at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNqum-_5RhY

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
To be honest 9 years is rookie numbers, some folks have been honing the masturbation craft for much longer than that.

Not me tho

e: moooooom don't just barge in here, I'm doin' research! It's for the New York Times!

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 19, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
and men are out here whackin it with their hands like loving cave man times. where's my masturbating article nyt?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it would just be the same recommendation tbh

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

every time leon posts anything anywhere i hear the faint susurrus of a thousand shaken fists. terrifying power

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i shake my fist at every dadchat poster. get off my lawn!

Cease to Hope posted:

it would just be the same recommendation tbh

i'm afraid of what the raw power would do tbh

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i only shake my fist at my own posts

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some college kids are back home from school at their parents' house next door to me and they were having a party out front at 9 pm on a Wednesday last week and I unironically told my wife that those drat kids need to get off the lawn because some people are trying to go to bed at 9.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i will tolerate loud parties after 8pm on weekends, but anyone doing it on weekdays is on track for a good fist shaking

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
like everyone in my household has to be up before 6am, and our old bodies can already barely do it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is also extremely funny to me that Hitachi was an air conditioning and heavy machinery company for most of its existance,

They make semi conductors too.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They still make a bunch of stuff, I see Hitachi equipment all the time

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

where's my masturbating article nyt?
As ever, Avs has you covered

a strange fowl posted:

the faint susurrus of a thousand shaken fists.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
RE: pillowchat, I highly recommend wool-filled pillows. They aren't the cheapest, but they have good firmness and repel dust mites (which a lot of people are allergic to).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cat botherer posted:

RE: pillowchat, I highly recommend wool-filled pillows. They aren't the cheapest, but they have good firmness and repel dust mites (which a lot of people are allergic to).

Are they hot?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Surprisingly not.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

dadchat (he's somehow responsible for this): my brother just suggested i watch made in abyss :catstare:

i turned mistakes into miracles by sending him on a one-way trip to bakshi town. he and dad watched cool world in the cinema when it first came out and neither of them have ever recovered. it's time for healing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a strange fowl posted:

dadchat (he's somehow responsible for this): my brother just suggested i watch made in abyss :catstare:

i turned mistakes into miracles by sending him on a one-way trip to bakshi town. he and dad watched cool world in the cinema when it first came out and neither of them have ever recovered. it's time for healing

for some reason i was utterly convinced that you were an only child

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

V. Illych L. posted:

for some reason i was utterly convinced that you were an only child
i am, but i have several half-siblings thanks to my father's passions

e: i don't actually know how many. between three and five

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 22, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that's the typical cause of siblings

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

families are weird. we only reconnected as adults so we're like... trying to figure out how it all works

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

a strange fowl posted:

i am, but i have several half-siblings thanks to my father's passions

I like to imagine you mean you have siblings because of your father’s interests, his hobbies, free-time activities

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cat botherer posted:

interesting. have you tried buckwheat?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Pirate Radar posted:

I like to imagine you mean you have siblings because of your father’s interests, his hobbies, free-time activities
well, technically,

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
made in abyss is one of those series where i don't know anything about it because the people who do constantly warn you about it with haunted eyes

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

made in abyss is one of those series where i don't know anything about it because the people who do constantly warn you about it with haunted eyes
just from discussions on this site i am afraid to even look up what it's about in case i end up on a list

he brought it up as an example of apocalyptic art produced by a culture that went through an actual apocalypse, so that's fair, and also why i redirected him to bakshi. who is no angel either, but he's resolutely only into mature adults with gigantic knockers (and old men's feet)

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

breaking news

i was observing a sheep paddock with new lambs and a guardian alpaca. one of the lambs went up to the alpaca and they gently booped noses