Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I enjoyed this one a lot for a superhero movie, but I didn't go into it with any expectations. There are clearly some very different tastes that have developed over the decade that the genre has been dominant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean it’s not a masterpiece or anything but for as much poo poo as it gets you’d think it tried to kill their family or something. It’s not even the worst superhero movie this year. If it had come out 3 years ago or whatever before all the drama I don’t think anyone would care at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I give it a bit more poo poo than it deserves because it just feels like the culmination of big budget reworked to hell nonsense.

It’s not the worst movie and definitely not the worst dceu movie honestly. But it’s still just real jank

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Definitely, it’s got CEO meddling all over it.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Yeah but there's also loads of really weird demented poo poo in here, like the babies (almost) falling into acid for some reason and surgical knives and a baby being placed in a microwave that goes "ding", even Flash's weird rictus grin when he takes the baby out of the microwave. I actually can't get over that whole scene, it's just amazing. There's lots of other weirdness too, like the way Flash pokes his head out into new timelines at different points like he's putting his head through the anus of space time. Or the frantic sawing off of the bat ears on the suit. Or the way Micheal Keaton emerges from a closet (?) and has the whole hobo kung fu fight in his kitchen. It's so good in a batshit way, it's just a shame the final 30 minutes is so boring and takes place on a featureless stretch of CGI nothingness (like Ant Man).

EDIT: Flash's weird ridiculous skating run when he loses his powers is also great. Ezra Miller is genuinely really good in this, shame they seem to suck as a human. Snyder picked a bunch of wrong 'uns honestly - Gal Gadot is clearly terrible in multiple ways, and even Henry Cavill was weird with his reactions to the MeToo stuff. Nerds love him though because he plays with toys and likes lovely books and is also super buff or whatever. Ray Fisher is awesome however and I look forward to seeing him in Rebel Moon.

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 20, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rabelais D posted:

Yeah but there's also loads of really weird demented poo poo in here, like the babies (almost) falling into acid for some reason and surgical knives and a baby being placed in a microwave that goes "ding", even Flash's weird rictus grin when he takes the baby out of the microwave. I actually can't get over that whole scene, it's just amazing.

It's moments away from being a poser Captain America comic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rabelais D posted:

Yeah but there's also loads of really weird demented poo poo in here, like the babies (almost) falling into acid for some reason and surgical knives and a baby being placed in a microwave that goes "ding", even Flash's weird rictus grin when he takes the baby out of the microwave. I actually can't get over that whole scene, it's just amazing. There's lots of other weirdness too, like the way Flash pokes his head out into new timelines at different points like he's putting his head through the anus of space time. Or the frantic sawing off of the bat ears on the suit. Or the way Micheal Keaton emerges from a closet (?) and has the whole hobo kung fu fight in his kitchen. It's so good in a batshit way, it's just a shame the final 30 minutes is so boring and takes place on a featureless stretch of CGI nothingness (like Ant Man).

Yeah that’s Andy. Same vibe as the It movies but more so with chapter 2

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rabelais D posted:

EDIT: Flash's weird ridiculous skating run when he loses his powers is also great. Ezra Miller is genuinely really good in this, shame they seem to suck as a human. Snyder picked a bunch of wrong 'uns honestly - Gal Gadot is clearly terrible in multiple ways, and even Henry Cavill was weird with his reactions to the MeToo stuff. Nerds love him though because he plays with toys and likes lovely books and is also super buff or whatever. Ray Fisher is awesome however and I look forward to seeing him in Rebel Moon.

Henry was just removed because he gets treated like a woman in attention in every day life and can't really relate or understand since hes also a giant nerd (until he was told it and figured it out). He did well with everyone but Gail and Ezra, really.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
His suit looks like he's covered in fruit rollups. He looks so hideous and uncanny in every single frame. Absolutely dire and just overall an embarrassing effort.

Some shades of an ok movie and I don't even really think the story and plot are even bad at their core, it's all just executed so poorly.

Ghastly loving movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I have not seen this movie, not sure if I can bring myself to watch it, but I appreciate that it gave us this:

and Nic Cage vs The Giant Spider

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At least that gif is going to last a long time. More than you could say about a lot of the recent Marvel movies.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DC movies produce the best gifs, it's true

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 20, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aquaman is really good

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

Aquaman is really good
Hell yeah it owns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NmareBfly posted:

When you have a character whose whole thing is that he's obnoxious, why would you team him up with another him who is MORE obnoxious?

In a multiverse movie like spiderverse or even spiderman no way home, they used the references and cameos to do SOMEthing like resolve emotional arcs from years old movies or poke fun at tropes from them, which was a sort of cynical cash in on some ways but I prefer it to what this movie does, which is literally just 'hey remember these actors???" The crashing multiverse sequence has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the plot and was hugely ugly to look at.

Almost none of the humor landed. I almost laughed twice, I think? Clooney and the tape measure. Keaton at least seemed to be having a good time too.

You can have a premise that's basically a cynical cash in and still do it well. Given MCU Spider-man basically was a cash-in from the start inextricable from the legal and story weirdness of the previous movies, and as a result quite divergent from them, it was actually pretty fitting to bring in the other ones with meta-jokes about all three. At this point, jokes about era-specific character depictions and adaptations have been a thing in media for decades, Fairly Odd Parents was making them over a decade ago at least.

Basically this is what happens when WB's crazy-rear end suits see that and completely miss the point of why people liked those things.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Aquaman was like an Uncharted movie setpiece done right

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I watched it in the background did they ever explain who killed flash's mum

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

wow rhino you can't expect them to put everything in one film!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's the one meme they didn't put in the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Assepoester posted:

Hell yeah it owns

My favorite shot in the whole movie

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i said yeah i'll watch this because i was expecting all kinds of silly flashes

but we just got flash, teenage "uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh" laugh flash, and flash covered in mold armour? and we got a bunch of disconcerting supermen looking directly at the screen going, hell yeah, we are so cgi, and it feels like the filler clipshow episode of an anime? this film is so weird

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The film is pretty much the Monty Python joke about not going to Camelot wrt to what you might call 'multiverse stuff'.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lol at CTE Sonic with the boxing glove

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

josh04 posted:

The film is pretty much the Monty Python joke about not going to Camelot wrt to what you might call 'multiverse stuff'.

Obviously we’re all rightly cynical about this, but I was surprised that the movie does straight-up say that the multiverse trend is bad. Keaton’s like “gently caress multiverses!”, and then a main character kills themselves to prevent a multiverse from happening. “DO NOT mash up Donner Superman with the Kevin Smith version! Just leave it be!”

It’s not illustrated very well, but the joke is that each of those bad-CGI spheres is being generated by that universe’s version of The Flash as he fucks with time and ruins things for everyone. I actually do largely agree with the director’s stance that all the frozen statues are beneficially grotesque and offputting.

Again, from the perspective of Young Barry, he’s just living in a terrible Batman Returns sequel that’s being invaded by an insane rear end in a top hat version of himself. At the same time, Young Barry never witnesses Man Of Steel and is consequently never made to accept that you can’t save literally everyone. It really is a repeat of BVS in that regard.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 20, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Assepoester posted:

DC movies produce the best gifs, it's true

Octopus on the drums is the best thing in the shared universe comic era.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Darko posted:

Octopus on the drums is the best thing in the shared universe comic era.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again, from the perspective of Young Barry, he’s just living in a terrible Batman Returns sequel that’s being invaded by an insane rear end in a top hat version of himself. At the same time, Young Barry never witnesses Man Of Steel and is consequently never made to accept that you can’t save literally everyone. It really is a repeat of BVS in that regard.

CBMs gunna be chasing MoS and BvS for the rest of time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol at CTE Sonic with the boxing glove
I like that there are 3 Sonics with little moustaches, presumably all French

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Stoned wizard sonic

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I without irony enjoyed how hosed up those ps3 graphics Henry cavill, floating baby, zod etc were although I'm sure they wanted us to be in awe of them as much as we should do at those alt supermen. Sometimes it do be like that

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's depressing that the low budget Titans show did the multiverse cameo thing better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEZfkalJTR8

I ate that batman 89 poo poo right up, so much so that two obnoxious ezra millers didn't even bother me. Was it weird af seeing that batman running around doing john wick choreography? Yeah for sure, but they played danny elfman loudly over it and I'm dumb enough to like that

Also, this movie shows you that seeing the justice league batman outfit in broad daylight is a terrible idea. They went for frank miller and ended up on playdough man.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

It's depressing that the low budget Titans show did the multiverse cameo thing better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEZfkalJTR8

It had Grant Morrison; there's no way to top that in a multiverse.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Darko posted:

It had Grant Morrison; there's no way to top that in a multiverse.

missed opportunity to texture swap all the cgi babies with cgi tiny grant morrisons

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MacheteZombie posted:

CBMs gunna be chasing MoS and BvS for the rest of time.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

zer0spunk posted:

Also, this movie shows you that seeing the justice league batman outfit in broad daylight is a terrible idea. They went for frank miller and ended up on playdough man.

Depends on which JL. Josstice League? Yeah, don't do it. ZSJL? It works.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
translating this:

into this:

is some real what the? energy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

zer0spunk posted:

translating this:

into this:

is some real what the? energy

Yeah, whoever is responsible for that design is pretty awful. That's why the BvS and ZSJL ones are so good. They kept the Miller design and made it work in live action.

That one is pretty yikes.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
end of the day my real complaint..they should have made clooney get in the bat nipple suit again

oh you want to cameo? you know what you have to do buddy..no complaining!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

zer0spunk posted:

end of the day my real complaint..they should have made clooney get in the bat nipple suit again

oh you want to cameo? you know what you have to do buddy..no complaining!

They missed out on bringing this into the new canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I love that even cryptobros are making GBS threads all over it.