Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I sense an opportunity to gleefully sow confusion.
Troubleshooter, I demand you change your username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not sure making an EM spectrum based hierarchy that places radium at the top is a very good idea

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

theironjef posted:

Since I assume that just means any Jeff, I am also fairly excited.

Right up until someone asks you how you spell it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not sure making an EM spectrum based hierarchy that places radium at the top is a very good idea

On the other hand, Friend Computer insisting someone has stolen all your trees is an excellent Paranoia mission starter.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pieces of Peace posted:

Right up until someone asks you how you spell it

Who would dare, I have UV clearance. I'll have them flayed.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

theironjef posted:

Who would dare, I have UV clearance. I'll have them flayed.

As a two-f Jeff, I renounce thee, impostor!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dwarf74 posted:

Troubleshooter, I demand you change your username.

No, see: I'm actually a mod already, or I wouldn't have the name, right?. My buttons were lost due to, uh, Radium code issues. So what needs to happen is I need to be a mod... again. Yeah, that's it.

*rolls Spurious Logic*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, see: I'm actually a mod already, or I wouldn't have the name, right?. My buttons were lost due to, uh, Radium code issues. So what needs to happen is I need to be a mod... again. Yeah, that's it.

*rolls Spurious Logic*

So how up there is a kind of grayish-brown.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RFC2324 posted:

just post it in the conspiracy forum

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Your clearance is the primary color on your av

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I appear to be either GREEN or BLUE.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

He11* yeah

*sector

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The Hunger mission is still a work of art that would also be miserable to play, but I maintain that the theory of "Surprise your players by buying all their lies and putting them in charge of the thing they declared is working perfectly" is a great gag. It's like Stealth Train, but you make the players fit themselves for the noose.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Do we ban posters with the Forum Empathy mutation?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

PurpleXVI posted:

Shouldn't Astral be UV since he's clearly a High Programmer? :v:

There is no GAMMA clearance. There has never been a GAMMA clearance. You are mistaken that there has ever been a GAMMA clearance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard in multiple places that talking about Paranoia inevitably turns into impromptu sessions of Paranoia.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

:(

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So are the colorblind just in constant full on Moscow rules because they have no clue what’s classified as what.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

So are the colorblind just in constant full on Moscow rules because they have no clue what’s classified as what.

the colorblind, you say? would you say you might be blind to color? ....mutant?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I would like to pre-emptively welcome back Lemniscate-R-BLU-4 who will be soon be joining us in place of Lemniscate-R-BLU-3. This clone has none of the confusion or - dare I say - traitorous inclinations of their predecessor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard in multiple places that talking about Paranoia inevitably turns into impromptu sessions of Paranoia.
I think i still have it - I had some kind of collection of dinky short stories about Alpha Complex becoming one of the realms of Torg's chaos and such.

I believe the canonical ending is that a couple of INFRARED janitors wandered out and put an end to the big bad evil storm wizard man.

What I'm saying here is that Paranoia may actually be a slightly higher level of reality.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still love how XP starts with a game of dnd Paranoia to explain the game.

Experimental wands, sharing secret society signs with the orc guarding the door…

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It definitely says something to the strength of the premise.

There's also something dreadfully familiar about it. For some reason it reminds me of high school projects.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036535

PARANOIA THREAD.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’ve been running a Monster of the Week game for the past few weeks. The premise is everyone is working in the 1970s FBI as a sort of proto X-Files group that formed in the bureaucratic chaos that happened upon Hoover’s death. My players that regularly show up are the “main characters” and the rest of my group that’s been way less consistent with the litany of other games we’ve tried to schedule can just show up as supporting characters when they can make the scheduled game time.

So far it’s gone really well. The episodic nature of the game keeps the group’s feedback loop tight, and the amount of prep required is great. It definitely takes more than the other PbtA games I’ve tried running but I actually benefit from more up front planning - it’s difficult for me to improv and facilitate on Discord compared to in person. I’ve run similar games like this using CoD 1e and this is miles ahead a better system for the types of situations I’m throwing at the group.

Our first sessions were tracking down the Lizard Man of Petersham, MA. They tracked a series of murders into a swamp near the town and figured out that a recent expansion of the sewer system encroached on its hunting territory, so the Lizard Man started pulling townspeople into its lair. Then they blasted the poor thing with shotguns and pinned the murders on an old trapper that lived in the swamps and had been defending the monster because my players are bastards.

Still working up a meta plot but we’re still getting acclimated, and I don’t want to entirely copy the show’s cosmology.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Missing the corpse of 4e, which originally had rules for that, spinning while attached to an even bigger turbine.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still love how XP starts with a game of dnd Paranoia to explain the game.

Experimental wands, sharing secret society signs with the orc guarding the door…

I just looked this up after reading this. Lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was going to copy/paste that section from a PDF into a post but it came out looking like this which is entirely appropriate

Q+H2QRWNCT(CPVCU[42)Š
YQTMGFNKMG2#4#01+#
)COGOCUVGT;QWŏTGKPCNQPIFWPIGQPJCNNYC[YKVJ
CFKTVƀQQTUVQPGYCNNUCPFCPCTEJKPIUVQPGEGKNKPI
6JGTGCTGDWTPKPIVQTEJGUKPYCNNUEQPEGUGXGT[VGP
HGGV;QWUGGQPGFQQT
9CTTKQTRNC[GT9JCVEQNQTKUVJGUVQPG!
)/5QTVQHQTCPIG
4QIWGRNC[GT#CJ+ŏOQPN[%NGCTCPEG4'&)GV
OGQWVQHJGTG

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’ve been running a Monster of the Week game for the past few weeks. The premise is everyone is working in the 1970s FBI as a sort of proto X-Files group that formed in the bureaucratic chaos that happened upon Hoover’s death. My players that regularly show up are the “main characters” and the rest of my group that’s been way less consistent with the litany of other games we’ve tried to schedule can just show up as supporting characters when they can make the scheduled game time.

So far it’s gone really well. The episodic nature of the game keeps the group’s feedback loop tight, and the amount of prep required is great. It definitely takes more than the other PbtA games I’ve tried running but I actually benefit from more up front planning - it’s difficult for me to improv and facilitate on Discord compared to in person. I’ve run similar games like this using CoD 1e and this is miles ahead a better system for the types of situations I’m throwing at the group.

Our first sessions were tracking down the Lizard Man of Petersham, MA. They tracked a series of murders into a swamp near the town and figured out that a recent expansion of the sewer system encroached on its hunting territory, so the Lizard Man started pulling townspeople into its lair. Then they blasted the poor thing with shotguns and pinned the murders on an old trapper that lived in the swamps and had been defending the monster because my players are bastards.

Still working up a meta plot but we’re still getting acclimated, and I don’t want to entirely copy the show’s cosmology.

The preprints of the Codex of Worlds expansion are out, if you preordered it. It's got a section at the start with "team playbooks" with a shared collection of moves and assets for all feeling that you belong to the proto-X-files, or whatever.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Oh nice, I haven’t preordered it but will check it out when it’s widely available. I loved that concept in FitD.

I sorta did that by giving everyone access to Deal With Bureaucracy from the Professional playbook, but it’d be cool to expand upon that.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Who do you think would be better company Magpie the rogue (Commission I had done) or Sondra Sparkle the bard (Art I found that I like)?
Magpie

Sondra Sparkle

Just a random question cause I love fantasy art.

https://www.artstation.com/tjota
https://www.deviantart.com/kartstudiodigi

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whomever has the most pluses

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Whomever has the most pluses

Haha, man of culture I see!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Calico Heart posted:

Hey goons! It's the PocketQuest 2023 Game Jam. If you're interested in a co-operative worldbuilding game set in a vast space-opera setting, please check out my entry: THE ODDER REACHES!

(All comments/reviews much appreciated)

From a few pages back (and a couple weeks, oops, shows how on the ball I am), but this was a neat little read, especially for the asking price of a buck. The comparisons to Quiet Year are inevitable but it's got a little more structure to make it more game-y, but in a good way. My current group has used this style of game a few different times now to set things up at the beginning and in the middle of campaigns, so I'll be looking for excuses to get them to try this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean these pictures clearly show who's better company, it's not even up to impression

I am picturing them as a Goofus & Gallant duo for Charisma checks

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I am picturing them as a Goofus & Gallant duo for Charisma checks

HAHA that's a great way of looking at it!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, the Break PDF is out to backers.

...oh, it's all in spreads?

I can't exactly read it like this, you know.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aren't spreads good for offset printing and nothing else? It certainly doesn't make them easier to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, the Break PDF is out to backers.

...oh, it's all in spreads?

I can't exactly read it like this, you know.

Kind of surprised we got it. Collecting money before the PDF was out sent out a lot of warning bells.