Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello fellow pothead parents. Me and my wife have made a children's board book. The sample from the printer is coming this weekend and then after we bask in its glow we will have to make decisions. I want to print 500 copies and just run through that before pursuing this any further than a hobby-grade vanity project.

This link goes to the Thumbnail File (CLICK). If anyone wants to give it a 2 minute read please I would love feedback. If you have credentials in anything I would love to know that too so I can report that to the grandparent investors. Thank you~

Edidted: Fixed link

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Hello fellow pothead parents. Me and my wife have made a children's board book. The sample from the printer is coming this weekend and then after we bask in its glow we will have to make decisions. I want to print 500 copies and just run through that before pursuing this any further than a hobby-grade vanity project.

This link goes to the thumbnail file (CLICK). If anyone wants to give it a 2 minute read please I would love feedback. If you have credentials in anything I would love to know that too so I can report that to the grandparent investors. Thank you~

I would click but then I'd have to give you my email address apparently

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh gently caress, ok.... um lemmie press buttons and I'll fix that

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
New Link after I pressed button

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

This link goes to the Thumbnail File (CLICK). If anyone wants to give it a 2 minute read please I would love feedback. If you have credentials in anything I would love to know that too so I can report that to the grandparent investors. Thank you~

Your book kicks rear end and if my youngest was 1-2 years younger I would ask about how to get one myself.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
It's very cute, the art is nice, the text seems good! I'll have to read it aloud later and see how it sounds

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That is very cute and I will deffo order a copy if you get it published

My one critique: I have a thing about font size (and contrast!) in children's books and would suggest making it bigger where possible

Edit: looked again and the contrast is fine, but there's deffo scope to increase the font size on most pages

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
book kicks rear end!

normally kid book songs like that are riffs of like nursery rhymes and tell me what tune it's to, otherwise it's not very useful to me

agreed on font size, and contrast was only a problem for me on one of the first pages

it's nice to use simpler vocabulary for these books so they can be used for teaching reading, my only complaint there is the word "language" being used, would love for that to be dumbed down

not a huge fan of how the back cover is worded (like it felt like it needed an edit pass?) but it wouldn't have prevented me from buying it or anything

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mines definitely too old for it now but i bet she wouldve loved it back then, especially the sharp illustrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Tex is at a very high reading level

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 7yo had her tooth kicked out at a birthday party bounce house, luckily another parent asked about her gap coincidentally and she was like, "hey that's new!"

aww :stare:

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
brain altered parent chat, hell yea

I'm a great dad when I'm high or drunk, pretty boring sober. However, I find if I do the mind altering too often then I lose that and start to fall back into routine.

KirbyKhan posted:

This looks great. Books for toddlers that help them understand their emotions are also great. Props to you and your wife!

My youngest is getting her tonsils removed today and has a sleepover at hospital. Me and the 9 year old are gonna stay up late playing portal 2 and eating the brisket I'm about to BBQ

:)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man I absolutely love taking my kids to some friend of theirs who has a trampoline.

I'm never ever buying a trampoline but man I love giving my kids an opportunity to bounce.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Wife and I were regular THC imbibers before starting to try and have a kid a few years ago.

I'd much rather go back to doing that than booze to take the edge off on weekends, but I don't think it's time yet.

Still feels wrong to not be totally "present" with the little toddling suicide machine for one. And I'm guessing I would also fall asleep extremely quickly, even with a nice sativa.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Wife and I were regular THC imbibers before starting to try and have a kid a few years ago.

I'd much rather go back to doing that than booze to take the edge off on weekends, but I don't think it's time yet.

Still feels wrong to not be totally "present" with the little toddling suicide machine for one. And I'm guessing I would also fall asleep extremely quickly, even with a nice sativa.

Yeah, I mean you can't turn yourself into a giggling idiot while the kids are still up for sure. And age matters, too--my youngest has now gotten old enough where I can look away for a few minutes and trust she won't have e.g. stuck a knife in an outlet.

I'd say I'm more "present" after smoking than drinking--more acutely aware of what's happening around me (and more empathetic) than just dulling the sense with beer. But I've also smoked a shitload of weed in my life so I'm used to doing things while baked, half- or wholly.

It's not some panacea I'd recommend to every parent. But it does help me.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
my 6 year old little girl is starting cheerleading next week and she is super excited. her friend sent my wife a video doing some of the cheers so she could learn them. at the end the friend says "you're a really nice friend to have!" and it just melted my heart

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Day 2 of my 5 yr old melting down bc he didn't want to go to YMCA day camp, and I gave in today and I'm pulling him for the rest of the week. He would wake up and be so stressed about it he thought he was gonna throw up and then wail and sob when we got there. He loved it for a week and a half but then one of the friends he made didn't want to play with him one day and I think that's what set this all off.

Lucky I have a hybrid office schedule, so I can move things around but it's really hard to work when this kid is home and I'm on my last nerves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
drat I totally understand that because I've got a mega shy introvert I'm sending to an all-day camp next week and I am not looking forward to making him sad.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
we got lucky and the place my kid does gymnastics at does a day camp 3 days a week for a few weeks during the summer so they're already familiar with the staff, some kids, etc.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
one kid did get sent home for pushing other kids and getting my kid to talk about that was rough

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
We're sharing a babysitter with another family next week and he loves them so things'll get easier but I gotta get some strategies for coping with different environments going with him.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
we got a call from my kid’s ymca outdoor day camp that she kissed her counselor . we got a call and we didn’t freak out which was comforting to the camp. we just talked about feelings and how to interact with grown ups and we were proud of her to tell us before we got a call.

we don’t want our kid to hide anything so we try to make it a transparent environment. we think it was maybe some sort of hero worship thing or maybe some attraction. I don’t know. we’re pretty affectionate in the home and it causes some irritation when she interacts with her cousins because their parents are not like that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Flew down to be with grandparents for daughter's first birthday. Stay with my parents was largely uneventful.

A few hours at my in-laws so far... zero baby proofing (like tons of breakable stuff at baby level), their dog snapped at the baby, and there was a vape pen just lying on the ground under the living room table. Strong start.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah if you leave a vape pen sideways it might leak and that's annoying as hell.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chad Sexington posted:

Flew down to be with grandparents for daughter's first birthday. Stay with my parents was largely uneventful.

A few hours at my in-laws so far... zero baby proofing (like tons of breakable stuff at baby level), their dog snapped at the baby, and there was a vape pen just lying on the ground under the living room table. Strong start.

I can't believe you haven't taught your child to vape yet. That's a 3 month milestone.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

sonatinas posted:

we got a call from my kid’s ymca outdoor day camp that she kissed her counselor . we got a call and we didn’t freak out which was comforting to the camp. we just talked about feelings and how to interact with grown ups and we were proud of her to tell us before we got a call.

we don’t want our kid to hide anything so we try to make it a transparent environment. we think it was maybe some sort of hero worship thing or maybe some attraction. I don’t know. we’re pretty affectionate in the home and it causes some irritation when she interacts with her cousins because their parents are not like that.

how old is your kid?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Local public middle and high schools are planning to install metal detectors ("weapons detection systems" - probably millimeter wave). I had no idea they were considering it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

how old is your kid?

almost 7

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Chad Sexington posted:

my mom put me and my daughter in the spare room when my daughter was probably 7 and she went to bed first and when i came in to check on her there was a loaded shotgun in the corner. she has the sense not to mess with something like that but jesus christ. turns out we were in the wrong spare room.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

this morning my daughter looked at a picture of me and said "papa!". then she looked at a picture of her mom and said "mama!". then she thought for a second and said "mapa!"

so proud of her, not even 2 and she already has a solid grasp of dialectics

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Brandon Proust posted:

this morning my daughter looked at a picture of me and said "papa!". then she looked at a picture of her mom and said "mama!". then she thought for a second and said "mapa!"

Now just get that changed to mapo, and you can start feeding her spicy tofu!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Brandon Proust posted:

mappa? she’s already into anime you hate to see it

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I can't believe you haven't taught your child to vape yet. That's a 3 month milestone.

Well she was a preemie. She'll get there. Starting with edibles first.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Well she was a preemie. She'll get there. Starting with edibles first.

Starting with edibles? drat, that's like starting your five-year-old on a 10 speed.

Whatever happened to smoking brick schwag out of a Coke can pipe?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Brandon Proust posted:

Class reductionism

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Brandon Proust posted:

person letting your kid out of daycare: runnnnnn, gooooooooo.... get to the papaaa

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

drat I totally understand that because I've got a mega shy introvert I'm sending to an all-day camp next week and I am not looking forward to making him sad.

My 5yo said he'd only play soccer if I coached, and now he's like "I just don't wanna do it" I'm like I just finished several hours of sexual abuse training and we start practice next week, you're doing it!

So that's gonna be fun.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 5yo said he'd only play soccer if I coached, and now he's like "I just don't wanna do it" I'm like I just finished several hours of sexual abuse training and we start practice next week, you're doing it!

So that's gonna be fun.

Sounds like someone is learning that their actions have consequences

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

So that's gonna be fun.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just finished several hours of sexual abuse training

Sounds like a pain in the rear end, useless "look, we're doing all we can" bullshit