Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

forums parliament + also mandatory forums referendums

the time of the ombudsgoon is nigh

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd bet that if you were to put it to a vote, the majority of GBS posters would be in favor of the mega thread status quo. But because they're satisfied with the status quo, they're unlikely to show up in a feedback thread to defend them in the way that the discontented will to attack them. And, as the posters above demonstrate, it can be hard not to read such attacks as a backdoor way to achieve the longstanding goal of some to kill the politics threads they disagree with.

Feedback threads and forums are inherently going to be poor representations of the broader interest of the forum because folks who are content are going to see the vitriolic drama in them and :yikes:. Making sweeping changes because a handful of posters are vocal about certain things isn't the way to go and the forum needs a democratic mechanism to get broad input from its constituents.

And maybe I'm wrong and GBS posters actually don't like mega threads and want to kill the politics threads! Seems unlikely given how popular they are, but I guess we'll never know unless the forum gives voice to those who likely don't even know there are folks campaigning for such drastic change.

I don't people wanna kill all the politics threads, just to break up the megathread status quo so stuff isn't as static, i think

like, i don't think anyone's suggested actually banning discussion of any of the megathread topics just that they get rebooted more than every 2 new presidents and/or can make space on the forum front page for new conversations about things if there's not really anything happening about [topic] for 8 months or whatever, that's the read i have of it at least?

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

decorum should dictate that in any negative megathread (trump, elon, groversub, etc), for each mocking post you must also post one compliment about the subject. should balance out the tone and make everyone happy i think.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

note the compliments can be backhanded

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If we take the Star Citizen mock thread as an example, it really needs mods willing to ban regulars who are being weird. No mod warning threads ban the goon being weird immediately.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Terrible Opinions posted:

If we take the Star Citizen mock thread as an example, it really needs mods willing to ban regulars who are being weird. No mod warning threads ban the goon being weird immediately.

Wait, what are the examples of people being weird in the Star Citizen thread? I've casually followed that thread for a while now and I can't recall anything like that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

Wait, what are the examples of people being weird in the Star Citizen thread? I've casually followed that thread for a while now and I can't recall anything like that.

i dont know about the gbs mock thread but the star citizen forum when it existed went from something that was supposed to laugh at a stupid video game kickstarting scam to doxxing random people related to the game and being weirder than the star citizen stans they were obsessed with the thread in games also recently had a blow up related to transphobia lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

attempts to bring attention to the problems with the star citizen forum would be met with very normal people accusing the outsiders of being star citizen backers if this sounds familiar this is ebcause that is how the mock thread cycle ends

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Fairly recently someone was a weird transpobe. Got banned less than a day later.

edit: There are a weirdly high number of people who only post in the Games version of the Star Citizen thread and nowhere else on SA

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 20, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

destroying a thread and self destructing due to transphobia is an all time classic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the submarine thread has been gassed good job :cheers:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

didnt the star citizen thread dox a 16 year old in a wheelchair

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't read the games one, but i check the gbs star citizen thread from time to time and i don't think there are major problems right now. it's just that there's no news with the game anymore so the only content is quoting stuff like the very weird monocle cat posts from the official forums

i do enjoy reading those sometimes, but when that's the only thing happening in the thread it's not great. don't know if it needs to be closed or gassed because it's also not super active or occupying a slot of the first page of gbs at all times.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The biggest problem with political threads - especially on heated topics - is a lack of news and control tends to result in people trying to go after other perceived enemies.

God help me for bringing it up, but the Ukraine thread had that happen last night and they started going all "Tankies :argh:" out of nowhere apparently, including the IK talking about renaming the thread to a reference of a CSPAM thread they would constantly try to litigate.

Thankfully someone posted news and things moved on.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

The biggest problem with political threads - especially on heated topics - is a lack of news and control tends to result in people trying to go after other perceived enemies.

God help me for bringing it up, but the Ukraine thread had that happen last night and they started going all "Tankies :argh:" out of nowhere apparently, including the IK talking about renaming the thread to a reference of a CSPAM thread they would constantly try to litigate.

Thankfully someone posted news and things moved on.

sounds like an ik should have their buttons removed

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Endorph posted:

didnt the star citizen thread dox a 16 year old in a wheelchair

Not the GBS thread, that happened when it was its own forum iirc

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fairly recently someone was a weird transpobe. Got banned less than a day later.

edit: There are a weirdly high number of people who only post in the Games version of the Star Citizen thread and nowhere else on SA

I used to lurk it when Star Citizen was funny but that thread is weird in that it's been the same circular conversations rehashed for several years because there's not really anything new to talk about and the main characters in CIG to safari all stepped out of the public eye. It should probably be in cccc to be honest. Anyways Games isn't gbs so I'll leave it at that.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

sa has a long history of doxxing children - hell, one of the culprits was even a mod! Who tried to force women to send him pics!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, maybe feedback on the Star Citizen megathread in the Games forum can go in that forum's feedback thread. I don't see anyone banned in the GBS Star Citizen thread since at least April (which was as far back as I cared to check).

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

FirstnameLastname posted:

the time of the ombudsgoon is nigh

I don't people wanna kill all the politics threads, just to break up the megathread status quo so stuff isn't as static, i think

like, i don't think anyone's suggested actually banning discussion of any of the megathread topics just that they get rebooted more than every 2 new presidents and/or can make space on the forum front page for new conversations about things if there's not really anything happening about [topic] for 8 months or whatever, that's the read i have of it at least?

Endorph posted:

the megathreads that are tagentially related to politics should be destroyed. the megathreads for simpsons quotes can stay.

Emphases mine. That's the closest example within a page or two, but calling for politics threads to be purged from GBS isn't something new, I feel like I've seen it show up in most threads discussing issues/"issues" in GBS. Disagree with it, personally.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Sorry in advance for the long post but I'd like to propose the following, after reading all this stuff since the start (and not contributing much, because I'm moving, but that's by the by)

[list]*GBS is still a web 1.0 forum but is gradually becoming a kinder and more welcoming place. Schoolyard insults like gay and aids shouldn't be blanket banned but if you post it in a thread and someone is upset enough to report it, you're gonna get a sixer and if you keep posting where you're not wanted you'll eventually get ramped up and lose $10. Read the room.

*Mods should try to understand actual instances of ableism, racism, homophobia, transphobia etc and gradually learn to get a read on them. In the meantime if an instance of something serious is reported, mods should take it seriously without assuming some posting vendetta is going on, google around or reach out, then act on it quickly. This is a lot worse than word filter poo poo. If a mistake is made apologize sincerely and do better. If mods aren't willing or able to do this they can't moderate a community.

*GBS is a big open forum and is the first place people who come to the site will really see. Smaller subforums are more like friendship groups and know who each other are, and can moderate themselves wrt to language, slurs and such. Just because another forum does something doesn't mean GBS can do it. We need to be at a standard that allows anyone to post here and mods need to clamp down not just on instances of rule breaking but also lovely posting that makes GBS a less user friendly place. If this means more mods and IKs to keep an eye on this forum then ugh so be it.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd bet that if you were to put it to a vote, the majority of GBS posters would be in favor of the mega thread status quo. But because they're satisfied with the status quo, they're unlikely to show up in a feedback thread to defend them in the way that the discontented will to attack them. And, as the posters above demonstrate, it can be hard not to read such attacks as a backdoor way to achieve the longstanding goal of some to kill the politics threads they disagree with.

Feedback threads and forums are inherently going to be poor representations of the broader interest of the forum because folks who are content are going to see the vitriolic drama in them and :yikes:. Making sweeping changes because a handful of posters are vocal about certain things isn't the way to go and the forum needs a democratic mechanism to get broad input from its constituents.

And maybe I'm wrong and GBS posters actually don't like mega threads and want to kill the politics threads! Seems unlikely given how popular they are, but I guess we'll never know unless the forum gives voice to those who likely don't even know there are folks campaigning for such drastic change.

anyway I mostly agree with these two posts, sans the mandatory megathread reboot thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This new megathread must be allowed to last forever: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037276&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I like politics threads existing here because I do not want to post in or read D&D, I do not want to post in or read cspam either, but I like there being a thread I can skim here to at least vaguely catch up on what's going on. The actual politics forums just aren't my vibe at all, no hate to them they just aren't for me. id rather there be some threads about it here

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the submarine thread has been gassed good job :cheers:

https://youtu.be/DfLL7CTRNQQ?t=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

general politics threads in gbs are w/e but i dont think gbs needs a thread just about the ukraine war for instance

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
I mean, that's been repeatedly litigated in SAD, and afaik the last decision was that it got rebooted and got to stay? It's been running more or less smoothly since March 5th with the new set of rules, seems like a solved issue :shrug:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cugel the Clever posted:

Feedback threads and forums are inherently going to be poor representations of the broader interest of the forum because folks who are content are going to see the vitriolic drama in them and :yikes:.

Actually SAD disproved this. When it was at its most openly dramatic and vitriolic a lot of lurkers came out to give their feedback on topics they read but don't post in. They did that because they cared. If people aren't posting in feedback spaces it isn't that they automatically agree with the status quo, it is that they don't care enough to speak up. Or they don't exist and are an imaginary 'silent majority' construct being used to try and win an argument that is otherwise unsupported.

Either way, the imaginary and the disengaged don't get a say in decision making.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lord Awkward posted:

I mean, that's been repeatedly litigated in SAD, and afaik the last decision was that it got rebooted and got to stay? It's been running more or less smoothly since March 5th with the new set of rules, seems like a solved issue :shrug:

Yeah, I'm not saying it needs gassed - gently caress, I post in it - but it might need those rules reiterated. The slip last night was temporary, and I hope it doesn't start more often.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

general politics threads in gbs are w/e but i dont think gbs needs a thread just about the ukraine war for instance

The cspam Ukraine war thread is full of wierd racist takes and genuine tankies (in the sense of "ukraine bad because us imperialism is bad") and the "serious" war threads in for instance GIP or D&D don't tend to like joking about the war. GBS is the perfect blend of war updates and lampooning the russian state and its leaders.

The holodomor thing in thre thread was wierd, jokes about genocides aren't really that funny

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Endorph posted:

That's a terrible idea. The first attempt to close down the GBS Ukraine War thread was pushed primarily by people who actively supported Russia's genocidal invasion and wanted the only discussion of the invasion to happen in the forums where people who agreed with them had mod powers. (These posters also tended to focus on disingenuous concern trolling about "bloodlust" in that thread, when you could go into their post history and see them giddy for any chance to share the most violent footage they could find during the old COOL ZONE megathreads.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

anyone else see a rapidly growing anvil-shaped shadow on the ground

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat it's crazy that actually happened

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

That's a terrible idea. The first attempt to close down the GBS Ukraine War thread was pushed primarily by people who actively supported Russia's genocidal invasion and wanted the only discussion of the invasion to happen in the forums where people who agreed with them had mod powers. (These posters also tended to focus on disingenuous concern trolling about "bloodlust" in that thread, when you could go into their post history and see them giddy for any chance to share the most violent footage they could find during the old COOL ZONE megathreads.)

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Oh good we're doing this again

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Jesus Christ, stop trying to re-litigate this poo poo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i dont have any major complaints about the current ukraine thread so long as the iks arent trying to stoke forum grudges

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cthulu Carl posted:

Jesus Christ, stop trying to re-litigate this poo poo.

this is your comment while you obsessively re-litigate yourself?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

so how about that weather, it’s a hot one eh?

catch the game last night?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dick Fontaine posted:

What am I trying to re-litigate? Please show me in my posts.

I pointed out an issue I saw in a thread I post in regularly.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Dick Fontaine posted:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it needs gassed - gently caress, I post in it - but it might need those rules reiterated. The slip last night was temporary, and I hope it doesn't start more often.

:dafuq:

Counted
Apr 28, 2023
I know this was now a dozen of pages ago(I woke up and it looks like this thread exploded) but I wanted to saying something about the transphobic shitposts brought up earlier

It is exceptionally hosed up to shitpost around someone or even a group of someones when it's about something really loving personal to them already like orientation or gender identity without, at least - I'd say as a bare loving minimum - thinking about it long enough to know it's a bad idea and deciding not to do it.

The problem is that something in your brain didn't go "wait, maybe posting something critical of members of the trans community is a bad idea if I'm not under the same tent" to begin with. Even if they were in the same tent, let's say, we shouldn't eat our own unprovoked. C'mon. Common sense.

There's no running interference and "correcting the record" on that, no one should even try, especially the people that made those posts and already apologized for them. If you're truly sorry, don't get involved in conversations involving these subjects because your presence is no longer constructive nor welcome, that's common sense imo - yes, even if people bring you up, no point in defending the indefensible

As for the political threads, I don't care either way but I kinda like parts of the Trump one and the Musk one, although there was a convo in one of them I vaguely remember seeing while lurking about Dave Chapelle that almost got into "erasing his transphobia" territory by one poster. I'm glad other goons set that poster straight, but maybe less talking out your rear end when it comes to stuff like that please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Sorry in advance for the long post but I'd like to propose the following, after reading all this stuff since the start (and not contributing much, because I'm moving, but that's by the by)

*GBS is still a web 1.0 forum but is gradually becoming a kinder and more welcoming place. Schoolyard insults like gay and aids shouldn't be blanket banned but if you post it in a thread and someone is upset enough to report it, you're gonna get a sixer and if you keep posting where you're not wanted you'll eventually get ramped up and lose $10. Read the room.

*Mods should try to understand actual instances of ableism, racism, homophobia, transphobia etc and gradually learn to get a read on them. In the meantime if an instance of something serious is reported, mods should take it seriously without assuming some posting vendetta is going on, google around or reach out, then act on it quickly. This is a lot worse than word filter poo poo. If a mistake is made apologize sincerely and do better. If mods aren't willing or able to do this they can't moderate a community.

*GBS is a big open forum and is the first place people who come to the site will really see. Smaller subforums are more like friendship groups and know who each other are, and can moderate themselves wrt to language, slurs and such. Just because another forum does something doesn't mean GBS can do it. We need to be at a standard that allows anyone to post here and mods need to clamp down not just on instances of rule breaking but also lovely posting that makes GBS a less user friendly place. If this means more mods and IKs to keep an eye on this forum then ugh so be it.

*Connected: Forum wars aren't happening, posters are concerned that the main part of the forums they post in is lovely and it's ok to try to fix it.

*As an aside, megathreads should be tolerated because people love them for some reason but they go rotten and can be unwelcoming to new posters. They should either be rebooted monthly or, in the unlikely occurance that they turn out to be actually good could be moved to the subforum they are better suited for, to allow posters to find new and cool friends and places to post.

I'd really like to assume good faith with the mods, and that they will try to handle issues they don't directly understand a bit better in the future. If a mod is repeatedly making terrible calls and doubling down on mistakes, they should be removed. Anyway I care about these dumb forums I hope we can fix them.

:thanks:

This is pretty great and I especially agree on the point about moderation - if they want to repair things at this point, they need to stop being charitable in how they read posts that come off as phobic to people who know best how to recognize what that looks like, listen to people who are telling you something's wrong if they're the ones with more experience with it

You don't have to be an expert at spotting things if you listen to other poster complaints and reports, even if you think there's bad faith in it maybe the goal should be to see if they're right anyways, motive doesn't matter when it comes to fixing these problems, what matters is making sure posters with the most reasons to care about this kind of thing are heard and responded to because doing otherwise is not only the wrong thing to do, but a very bad look