Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Horatius Bonar posted:

Saw this in the wild today, a wall mount half pan. You could fit those really big door handles in this bad boy.

It's for dryer ducts, there's a hole in the top. It's even got a UL 1-hr fire rating when installed correctly.

Just for anyone who's unawares, these rock. Big enough that the flex duct from the dryer fits in it and the dryer can fit close to the wall as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I figured it was thrown in that way because an inspector told them they were required to have an outlet on the island, although I guess that doesn't negate what you're saying:

Having never had a kitchen large enough to have islands: why would an outlet be required?
To remove the temptation to string an extension cord through the room when putting a food processor on the island?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Zopotantor posted:

Having never had a kitchen large enough to have islands: why would an outlet be required?
To remove the temptation to string an extension cord through the room when putting a food processor on the island?

Exactly this, to remove the use of an extension cord or connecting the appliance cord across a walking area.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Along the same lines, why do several of my kitchen appliances have a tag on the cord that says don't plug into an island/under counter outlet?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think I've spotted a design flaw with this urinal.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

Along the same lines, why do several of my kitchen appliances have a tag on the cord that says don't plug into an island/under counter outlet?

Drip path? That is, liquid follows the cord to the plug and outlet?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Risk of something pulling on the cord and having the appliance fall on them. Little kids, pets, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Get hanging lamps that can hide outlets and run a second, not-switched circuit into them.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

StormDrain posted:

Just for anyone who's unawares, these rock. Big enough that the flex duct from the dryer fits in it and the dryer can fit close to the wall as intended.

Hardline all the way, but if you're going to use flex this is probably as good as you're going to get. Semi rigid can get hosed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have no idea why anyone would still buy a vented dryer or build or renovate a house around one. I'm sure it somehow makes twisted sense in the USA.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea why anyone would still buy a vented dryer or build or renovate a house around one. I'm sure it somehow makes twisted sense in the USA.

Summers do be hot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Summers do be hot.
Perfect for a heat pump dryer that takes heat from the room and keeps recycling it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flipperwaldt posted:

Perfect for a heat pump dryer that takes heat from the room and keeps recycling it.

Air only, vent into living space, no condenser stage

Now you have a swamp cooler.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Air only, vent into living space, no condenser stage

Now you have a swamp cooler.
My heat pump dryer just pisses out the water where the washing machine does. I don't know what exactly you're describing with that first sentence.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Standard dryers are cheaper and faster than heat pump dryers and if you already have a gas dryer its not as direct of a replacement.

That said, I want to try a heat pump dryer once I have to replace mine, even though I'm worried about the additional emphasis on keeping it clean because I have a corgi that sheds everywhere.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

Hardline all the way, but if you're going to use flex this is probably as good as you're going to get. Semi rigid can get hosed.

I might be an idiot but I'm not sure how to connect a dryer to the wall outlet with rigid duct. That's the only place flex duct should be used so the dryer can be pulled and pushed into place. Everything after the dryer box is steel duct out of the house of course.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I cemented my dryer in place so that it could feel my commitment to the renovation. I plan on shooting it full of .45 rounds if it breaks so that the next dryer knows the score. I am American and my house is built entirely from poorly-informed European snark, this material is sometimes called 'school shootings lmao'.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

StormDrain posted:

I might be an idiot but I'm not sure how to connect a dryer to the wall outlet with rigid duct. That's the only place flex duct should be used so the dryer can be pulled and pushed into place. Everything after the dryer box is steel duct out of the house of course.

If you have the washer and dryer side by side you can push the dryer into place, hook up the rigid duct, and then put the washer in. There are also some situations where you can access the side of the dryer even when both are in place.

It would be pretty trivial for me to do it. I could use either using an elbow at the dryer, a short length of round duct at about 45°, and another elbow or using one of those periscope ducts. Instead I just have a short length of flex duct because gently caress it the total vent run to the outside of the house is barely 3' 6' and using flex makes it trivial to take off and clean.

Maybe next time I clean it I will replace it. Maybe.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 20, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some nationality is going to fight me for posting this, but I don’t know which one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Let's all team up like the Planeteers.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

StormDrain posted:

Elbow off the back of the dryer, pipe to the duct, probably another elbow so they line up. When you push the dryer into place to meet the elbow you just stop an inch or two shy so you can guide them together and then push it the rest of the way there. It's more of a pain to move the dryer but it stays so much cleaner you'll hardly need to clean it anyway.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Some nationality is going to fight me for posting this, but I don’t know which one.

That's a version of a Dutch door, although I haven't seen one where the bottom panel opens before.

Why you'd want it use it for a bathroom is beyond me. Maybe they make huge stinks and have a massive ventilator fan that needs lots of air.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Deteriorata posted:

That's a version of a Dutch door, although I haven't seen one where the bottom panel opens before.

Why you'd want it use it for a bathroom is beyond me. Maybe they make huge stinks and have a massive ventilator fan that needs lots of air.

From the looks of it, that door predates indoor plumbing.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You'd trade the full turd bucket through the lower door and get a new one if you still had more to go

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps the bottom door is to allow the cat to walk in and out of the room while excluding the other humans in the house.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

Elbow off the back of the dryer, pipe to the duct, probably another elbow so they line up. When you push the dryer into place to meet the elbow you just stop an inch or two shy so you can guide them together and then push it the rest of the way there. It's more of a pain to move the dryer but it stays so much cleaner you'll hardly need to clean it anyway.

Oh. Well, I kind of assumed we were using different terminology on the same thing or having a miscommunication. I think the only issue I have with that is not having the ductwork taped together and having lint blow out through the connections. Otherwise that is the smoothest with the least air resistance so good job.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flipperwaldt posted:

If a heat pump dryer is one of those things that was in my flat in Portsmouth that had a little tank of water I needed to empty and never heated the clothes above body temperature and also completely failed to actually get the clothes more dry than 'somewhat damp' despite running multiple cycles for an entire day, I have some ideas.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

If a heat pump dryer is one of those things that was in my flat in Portsmouth that had a little tank of water I needed to empty and never heated the clothes above body temperature and also completely failed to actually get the clothes more dry than 'somewhat damp' despite running multiple cycles for an entire day, I have some ideas.

That's probably a condensation dryer which is related but worse.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

Technology has advanced

moparacker
May 8, 2007

An interesting take on the facebutthugger from Alien.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Plumbing by HR Giger

Edit: Goddammit

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

It was more effort to do that than to do it right.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Phanatic posted:

No, that just sounds like a lovely and/or broken dryer.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Probably don’t take ‘cheap enough a landlord would install it’ as a good example of any technology or appliance.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TwoDice posted:

That's probably a condensation dryer which is related but worse.

Yep.

This is what the airflow in a condenser dryer looks like:

Note that the dryer is simply passing room air over a heat exchanger to cause condensation. That means the system is unable to drop the dew point of the air in the dryer below room temperature.

This is what the airflow in a heat pump dryer looks like:

That evaporator coil is driven to be very cold, just above freezing ideally, so the air going into the drum is extremely dry. The heat extracted by the evaporator is immediately dumped back into the dried cold air to heat it back up, making the system very efficient.

A condenser dryer is like hanging your clothes up in the shade in a foggy swamp, a heat pump dryer is like hanging them up in the shade in the desert.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Shifty Pony posted:

This is what the airflow in a condenser dryer looks like:

I’m so confused that this would be a thing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I don't think I've ever seen a drier that wasn't some variant of heat pump. I can't imagine condenser driers are of literally any use in a climate where the humidity isn't zero.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/O42RKXv.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Pony posted:

This is what the airflow in a heat pump dryer looks like:

O.K. but imagine if instead of squeezing that little bit of moisture out of the recycled air by chilling and immediately heating it, you instead ran it on an open loop, heating room air, blowing it over the clothes, and exhausting this hot, moist air out of the building. Meanwhile, the evaporator exchanges heat with indoor air, cooling the air and yielding heat to dry the clothes.

This would be like having a “portable” air conditioner that dries your clothes as a free side effect.