Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

PerniciousKnid posted:

I saw a clip of Nate Bargetze talking about watching Teen Mom and thinking those girls have life figured out, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I'm pretty much rooting for my kids to have teen pregnancies so I can enjoy time with my grandkids before I'm 80.

Weren't the teen moms making like 60k a year from the show? It's definitely not representative of what a real teen mom experiences. That's more than I was making at my first job out of college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

in clown world, you build a semiconductor factory, noted industrial process contingent on large supplies of water, in the loving desert

I hate to do a fact-check, but the reason they do this is because the desert tends to be rather geologically stable, and you don't want earthquakes rattling around your nanometer-precise lithography machines

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

i found a sub forum last night that made me think of you https://www.reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/

Wait, a datascience job that pays minimum wage and all communication happens with chicken puns? Lovely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the data scientists one has to be feeding garbage into AIs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

i found a sub forum last night that made me think of you https://www.reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/

yup i look at recruitinghell at times to try and stay sane

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

A brewery that makes a good product should never fail unless bad management comes into play. Hopefully the workers salvage that one.

Also I'm not particularly familiar with them so I'm just assuming they make a good product.

Modern corporations do this by design.

You take a profitable product, use the money to build an elaborate team of executives that take all of the profit they aren't wasting on their stupid dumbass decisions to try and chase the dream of having your company valued at 50x it's actual worth which completely ignores the physical realities of your profitable product.

A lot of companies fail at the last stage because overpaid executive incompetence only ever works accidentally and the stupidity and greed usually digs deeper than the actual profit.

You don't want to be the chump with infinitely sustainable moderate profits. You need to be the new Tesla valued at half the earth's GDP so the executive salaries can hit 9 figures.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1682011251038208005

disney getting desperate. maybe we can pool our resources and buy an IP.

that’s budenomics

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

build an elaborate team of executives that take all of the profit they aren't wasting on their stupid dumbass decisions to try and chase the dream of having your company valued at 50x it's actual worth which completely ignores the physical realities of your profitable product

my favorite is when non-profits also do this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Extract value for the shareholder

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Fednow is live. American banks are slowly approaching the same capabilities that everyone else has had for decades

https://twitter.com/redboxwire/status/1682028340436426754

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anonumos posted:

I thought new commercial airliners CAN fly themselves, and usually do for 90% of the average flight.

90% of the flight is just following the route but the remaining 10% is landing and takeoff which is the actual hard part

Burn Zone posted:

::wrong::

we had boston dynamics out last summer demoing the dog for us.

they made a whole platform out of it. BD makes plug-and-play modules and they have an SDK so you can make your own. it legit uses a DB-25 serial connector for the modules.

as for uses, imagine an environmental sensors package and an arm to open doors or close valves combined with an environment hazardous to humans (industrial accident type poo poo).

it actually feels inhumane to kick the thing, but they let us do it to show how self-stabilizing it was. at one point a group of us boxed it in to test its obstacle avoidance. it freaked out and started bouncing its feet and glitching out in kind of a dance. the rep made us stop lmao

also rich people use them as guard dogs, BD told me they refuse to make it into a weapon so it will only report back on an intruder not attack them.

"search and rescue robots" is a euphemism for military robots

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

webcams for christ posted:

Fednow is live. American banks are slowly approaching the same capabilities that everyone else has had for decades

https://twitter.com/redboxwire/status/1682028340436426754

a brief search says that this means my paycheck could clear faster but lmao I’ll never see it a day earlier

gently caress you Bank of America

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hate to do a fact-check, but the reason they do this is because the desert tends to be rather geologically stable, and you don't want earthquakes rattling around your nanometer-precise lithography machines

Seems like they could do better, then.

Though I'll concede that it's the least likely earthquake area that's close to California.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

we are not a dying in the streets levels yet in most cases in the USA

Medicaid will still get you a room somewhere to die

Paradoxically, usually the only LTC places that accept Medicaid assignment are the for-profit ones & they are incentivized to cut costs such as nursing care to please their shareholders.

The non-profit & well-run places are those that cost around $100k/year & up, depending on level of care needed. Round-the-clock home-based caregiving usually will run about twice that after covid, when caregivers finally had the upper hand in demanding better wages.

And both scenarios are highly reliant upon having a pool of immigrant healthcare workers.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1681763491265249281

skeptical.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Jul 20, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DancingShade posted:

I've always wondered what motivated people to spend multiple thousands per year on an overseas holiday to [insert destination here], every year. Like I get you want to have fun but can you not "have fun" on a slightly more modest budget ideally closer to home?

going somewhere completely different is cool :confused:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just spoke to my UPS delivery guy.

They've already had rehearsals for the strike, and they've got their picket signs in their trucks ready to go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when is their contract over ?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

when is their contract over ?

July 31, 11:59PM

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hahah chaos reigns

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1681931949638656000

https://twitter.com/tEconomics/status/1681918345518501888

uh oh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

and yeah lots of locals around the country have been holding "practice pickets" which is like an hour before their starting shift, they hold a rally + picket line. Strike captains practice their coordination, workers get to learn the chants, etc. you should join if you live near one and have the time, go practice some solidarity in anticipation of the potentially largest coordinated US working class action of most of our lives

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Nothing says "adventure" like flying to a tourist trap where you don't even need to pretend to stumble over the local language to ask for a bathroom.

Just like Magellan.

I'd rather have a $1500 Transformer.

poemdexter posted:

Weren't the teen moms making like 60k a year from the show? It's definitely not representative of what a real teen mom experiences. That's more than I was making at my first job out of college.

He was more talking about how being a teen sucks anyway so might as well get a head start on your kids and then when they finally move out you won't drop dead minutes later.

PerniciousKnid has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Jul 20, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1682011251038208005

disney getting desperate. maybe we can pool our resources and buy an IP.

ABC? ew no thank you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

a strange fowl posted:

the thing here is, i love my parents. a lot of people have this problem.

I love my parents as well, and hope they get the mental help they so desperately need.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Seems like they could do better, then.

Though I'll concede that it's the least likely earthquake area that's close to California.

I’d just build my chip fab near the Great Lakes

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

thank goodness I saved sixteen cents on my July 4th cookout featuring unseasoned ground beef and cheese slices

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bob Goner

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao down 9%+++ so far today....... apparently because of sag + wga strikes

keep up the good work!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm putting this down as the thread being right about the netflix puts call, just a month too early

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1682063085681491985

thanks comrade shopify

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lmao down 9%+++ so far today....... apparently because of sag + wga strikes

keep up the good work!

Why the hell would the strikes effect Netflix stock? They don’t produce anything that even remotely worth watching because they pay their writers and actors like poo poo.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

sounds great but I'd rather they install some kind of implant into the cashiers eyeballs to scan me and make it even easier

https://twitter.com/ajassy/status/1682020069088575488

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you need your Id to buy booze tho

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What is a palm signature and how does it make Amazon One more secure?

While your palm and vein patterns are permanent, the digital palm signature we use for identification is not. Unlike a credit card or password, your Amazon One palm signature can’t be replicated to impersonate you. This is because Amazon One does not use raw palm images to identify a person. Instead, it looks at both palm and underlying vein structure to create a unique numerical, vector representation—the palm signature—for identity matching. This allows us to delete palm signatures and generate new ones, at any time.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

we are not a dying in the streets levels yet in most cases in the USA

What do you think the current mainsteam demonization of the homeless is about

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

you need your Id to buy booze tho

Amazon One helps businesses speed up their identification and payment processes, enable customers to easily link to and access their loyalty programs, verify age, and provide secure access to sports and entertainment venues, office buildings, and more.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We are a few years away from physicians being for the top 5% and everyone else getting a lovely chat bot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mistermojo posted:

sounds great but I'd rather they install some kind of implant into the cashiers eyeballs to scan me and make it even easier

https://twitter.com/ajassy/status/1682020069088575488

how is this easier than telling a cashier your phone number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What do you think the current mainsteam demonization of the homeless is about

And the fastest-growing demographic of the unhoused are old people.