Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

This is not under warranty consideration because it is still functional, and thus, not defective 💩

edit: I may have mis-interpreted.
"Per our policy, we are able to send replacements and replacement parts for defective units and parts. However, the cable that you received was fully functional without wear and tear. Therefore unfortunately the cable would not fall under warranty."

It's considered wear and tear.

So if the cable is functional when the customer receives it, you can never do a warranty claim? Am I reading this correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

This is not under warranty consideration because it is still functional, and thus, not defective 💩

edit: I may have mis-interpreted.
"Per our policy, we are able to send replacements and replacement parts for defective units and parts. However, the cable that you received was fully functional without wear and tear. Therefore unfortunately the cable would not fall under warranty."

Looking at some of these, I'm pretty sure it'd take like 5 minutes to jam that cable back into the strain relief.

This is the general layout of the inside of a J1772 handle.

If you break it I can lend you my off-brand L2 charger until you get the new cable, it's a NEMA 6-50 on the end, bit I can change that.

Good to know Grizzl-E's warranty is "if it worked at all at any time, it's not covered by the warranty"

Bone Crimes posted:

Please make a thread on this! I'm in your general area, and would really interested on what you end up thinking/doing.

I will, but it'll be a few years, lol.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Uses tamper resistant screws, but I have the bits. It does not appear to have any mechanism to hold the outer insulation. That seems to be the grommet's job. :iiam:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

To be fair, it is clearly torn.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I have a Grizzle evse that outright died within a year but they sent me a full replacement units after asking me about the color of the light on it. The second unit seems to be holding up better at least.

A break in the strain relief does sound unusual since the thing is tough enough even outdoors. They still should've offered to at least send the replacement strain relief if possible.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I test drove an Ioniq 5 today - it was quite an upgrade on the Bolt that we have now. Test drove a Polestar 2 as well a couple weeks ago - very familiar driving experience to our Volvo, but the rear visibility is miserable. I think the Ioniq is the one when our Bolt’s lease is up. I know there is at least one recent Ioniq buyer in the thread - how was the dealer experience? I’ve heard horror stories about Hyundai.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I test drove an Ioniq 5 today - it was quite an upgrade on the Bolt that we have now. Test drove a Polestar 2 as well a couple weeks ago - very familiar driving experience to our Volvo, but the rear visibility is miserable. I think the Ioniq is the one when our Bolt’s lease is up. I know there is at least one recent Ioniq buyer in the thread - how was the dealer experience? I’ve heard horror stories about Hyundai.

There are a few recent Ioniq buyers here, myself included.

It really depends on the dealership. I went to three Hyundai dealers, each with vastly different experiences:

- First dealer was charging a $5k markup and was "not negotiable" on another $4500 of dealer-added aftermarket add-ons. They didn't even want to let me test drive an EV unless I verbally committed to buying that day :lol: -- I said okay, I'll head home then, so they let me test drive two different Ioniq 5's (the 6 wasn't out yet). They tried to pressure me into buying immediately, and I noped right out. I won't go back there.

- Second dealer I was specifically looking at the Ioniq 6, which they were a little hesitant to let me test drive (they sent a salesman with me and after a couple of miles he said "we really should get back"). They did a hard-sell with add-ons, but relented when I pushed back. I asserted that I wasn't going to pay more than MSRP, they said they couldn't do that, so I replied "well call me if you come to your senses". They called about an hour later and said they could do MSRP if I bought in the next two days (by month-end). It wasn't my favorite experience but pretty par for the course for car dealerships.

- Third dealer I called after getting the offer from the second place, because they had the same Ioniq 6 trim in a better color. I told them I'd gotten an offer from another dealer at MSRP, and if they'd beat that offer I'd come buy it that day. I mentioned that I wasn't interested in dealer add-ons, and they said "We don't do stuff like that". I went down, and holy poo poo, they were friendly and honest. Got the car for just slightly less than the other place, in a better color. I'd definitely buy from them again.

Check what's nearby and look at the Google ratings. The ones for dealerships here are extremely accurate; the scumfuck dealers tend to have 3.5 stars or less, while the better ones have 4+.

I'll mention that this was back in late April, the first week Ioniq 6's had arrived in the US, which is why I was willing to go at/near MSRP. A lot of dealers now have surplus inventory -- when I went to get my new car serviced for a warranty issue a couple of weeks ago, the latter dealer had two Ioniq 6's and half a dozen 5's, and some of those had a marked down sticker price. Don't pay MSRP.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm also considering an Ioniq 5 - especially given the incentives they've got running. I'm in CO so a lease buy-out is apparently a PITA but they have 0.99% financing and are throwing cash to get under MSRP. Coming down to a Model Y LR and the Ionic 5 - going to see if I can test drive both next week.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm also considering an Ioniq 5 - especially given the incentives they've got running. I'm in CO so a lease buy-out is apparently a PITA but they have 0.99% financing and are throwing cash to get under MSRP. Coming down to a Model Y LR and the Ionic 5 - going to see if I can test drive both next week.

Test-drive an AWD 5 if you can. Pop it into Sport Mode. It's real fun to drive.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Thankfully my local carmax had a 2022 Ioniq with 1200 miles on it for my test drive so I didn’t have to even deal with any dealer bullshit. I’m in LA so I’m sure there are quite a few dealers around I guess I need to figure out exactly the trim I want then start calling around.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I have dealer opinions, but for a Kia EV6 instead of Hyundai though it shouldn't be far off. Short story, one dealer was probably doing borderline illegal poo poo and was the worst I've ever dealt with ever. I then I ended up buying from the local dealer which was the postcard of an optimal dealer experience. It was fast and easy: 10 minutes negotiating with fair outcome, 20 minutes with finance, then drive off. In conclusion, dealers are a land of contrasts.

I think it's up more to the individual dealers to perform well compared to most brands but you're not necessarily screwed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsGaKuSWBKU

Fully Charged can be, not great, but the EX30 is US bound and actually looks, kind of great for what it is, I don't even know what you would call it, a premium economy car?

Reminds me a lot of the i3 at a lower price point, selling certain cost cutting as "premium" just by virtue of being unique. I like it, I could see some one cross shopping an entry level Kia with it.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Lowness 72 posted:

I’m extremely biased but I’ve been loving my Ioniq 5 so far. The lease buy out process was actually extremely painless in WA, not sure if CO is significantly different.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Apparently in CO you have to do the buy out through the dealership so they can be huge dicks about it (at least this is what I've read). You can't just mail in to the finance office requesting a buy out.

What trim level did you get? The features on the limited sound really cool. That said I've never owned a car under 10 years old so I'm also just excited for a back up camera to be honest.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

You can bet a significant chunk of Model 3 owners will absolutely have to have the updated car when it comes out and so will flood the used car market with their current M3s

There will be a few bargain secondhand M3s at that point but who knows exactly when the new car will be released

Tesla just said you can transfer Autopilot to a new car but only until September. So apparently Tesla thinks this is going to happen, too.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Just finished the entire EV6 lease+rebate and buyout scheme today ending with the car titled and registered in my name. I waited 2 weeks to request the buyout quote then sent the check and heard back 3 days later from Kia saying that they just needed a bill of sale signed and returned. Once I did that, the next day the title tracker showed it in progress and a few days later it was in our mailbox. From quote to title in hand was 2 weeks and I never had to do anything except fill out a super short buyout agreement page and sign the BoS.

A+, would do all the bullshit again

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Just finished the entire EV6 lease+rebate and buyout scheme today ending with the car titled and registered in my name. I waited 2 weeks to request the buyout quote then sent the check and heard back 3 days later from Kia saying that they just needed a bill of sale signed and returned. Once I did that, the next day the title tracker showed it in progress and a few days later it was in our mailbox. From quote to title in hand was 2 weeks and I never had to do anything except fill out a super short buyout agreement page and sign the BoS.

A+, would do all the bullshit again

You have 24 hours to post a photo. Thread rules. :colbert:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Solar company #2 came by: this was the same people who put on the first panels. The dude lives just up the street and assured me that, no, the utility will not allow you to install a system larger than 10kW. I mentioned the rules, and he called out section E-5 by name, so I'm inclined to believe him, since, you know, that's what's published. Which means that first company was either making stuff up, or doing illegal installations. Maybe both.

The guy thinks the battery doesn't make a lot of economic sense right now, but explained where it could go and what a kilowatt hours is (which was cute). You know what else didn't make economic sense when we did it? The heat pumps. And then the cost of natural gas went through the roof, and suddenly it was a really smart thing to have done. He also mentioned that Albuquerque was having rolling blackouts/brownouts already. I hadn't realized that.

Anyway, we covered whether the roof would support the weight, things I could do to make the engineering step faster (cut a hole in the cieling and figure out the depth of our joists, which would be a great time to install hardwired smoke detectors), whether our 100A subpanel in the basement would be able to support the battery without upgrading the Romex to the main panel (probably), how microinverters interact with a combiner, and just generally felt a lot more like an engineering-focused planning discussion. Pretty happy with these folks, and I don't even have an estimate yet. Oh, but they won't do the roof. They'll take the panels off so the roofer can do their thing, but roofing is on me. That's... maybe actually better. Not sure I want a solar panel installation company deciding who replaces my roof.

He did tell me that because of the (almost flat) pitch of the roof, they'd be using ballast to anchor the panels. So I'm going to have to ask them to remove the old tar and gravel roof, in order to save weight. Another thing I'm considering here is when would be the best time to make sure the roof is actually fastened to the walls. Some University in Texas or Oklahoma figured out that houses tend not to collapse as easily during high winds like tornadoes if the roof is actually nailed to the walls. Go figure.

Tesla is being kind of sluggish, and in a not-inspiring-confidence move, is now on day 3 of me trying to merge the account I unknowingly created for a Solar estimate with the account I already have for the car. Earlier today, they emailed me with instructions about how to transfer a car to a new owner. This doesn't bode well, but we'll see!

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 20, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Good call going with an actual roofing company, flat roofs give me hella anxiety, because they're so prone to leaking over even a minor defect.

The roof being nailed down thing is probably more related to hurricane ties, strips of metal that keep the roof anchored in the case of strong uplift forces, like those caused by severe winds or earthquakes, rather than the roof simply not being attached. You probably already know that though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My father was interested in a Telsa solar install, and it took a year for him to get tired and go with a different company.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

He did tell me that because of the (almost flat) pitch of the roof, they'd be using ballast to anchor the panels.

I'm assuming we're talking tub and ballast because of your flat roof? No mention of going with metal frames instead?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm assuming we're talking tub and ballast because of your flat roof? No mention of going with metal frames instead?

We're pretty far off course from EVs here and I'm out of my depth. The things the panels are on are made out of metal, but they're held down onto the roof with heavy concrete blocks. I think you're asking about a big ol' pitched angle thing like half of an A-frame roof. The ones I saw on an image search for "solar panel metal frame" look a whole lot like a sail to me. I'd be nervous as hell about that when the wind hits 75MPH, even if it were bolted to the house. That looks like the sort of thing that needs sunk concrete pylons.

Anyway I'm not an architect or anything so I don't know why nobody's brought them up, but nobody has.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

Good call going with an actual roofing company, flat roofs give me hella anxiety, because they're so prone to leaking over even a minor defect.

The roof being nailed down thing is probably more related to hurricane ties, strips of metal that keep the roof anchored in the case of strong uplift forces, like those caused by severe winds or earthquakes, rather than the roof simply not being attached. You probably already know that though.

Do you get uplift forces in an earthquake? I know for foundations, you want to use seismic ties, and not hurricane straps...or maybe both if you're subject to both. I am not an engineer though!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not sure, but seismic ties do a similar thing to hurricane straps, hold the structure on the base when forces act on it in directions that aren't down. Simpson sells them side by side on their site.

Seismic ties are meant to get installed a little loose, I think with the idea that the structure can move a little on the foundation, while still being retained.

Or something, I dunno.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

You have 24 hours to post a photo. Thread rules. :colbert:

I've already posted a couple earlier but since it's a nice day on a Friday, here's a few minutes ago.

The car continues to be incredible and I've made peace with blowing through a set of tires a year because I'm never going to stop driving it like a gocart and racing to the speed limit. The usual car functions are all top tier with the only mild let down being the stereo but I came from an LS460 with the ML system so it's not a fair comparison. It reminds me of the general composure of my old B8 S4 with how it's civilized or brutal depending on drive mode but it's just unimaginably fast, especially at backroad speeds, and I'm pretty used to fast cars.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Frans Timmermann, the main driver for the fit for 55 electrification package is out. He's going back to Holland for the national elections under the Greens flag. Low confidence on the package not being gutted like a fish in a few months.

EDIT: EcoBest 2023 is out https://ecobestchallenge.org/challenges/ecobest-challenge-2023/

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 21, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just found the most unforgivable UI design on my Bolt.

If you hit the "set" Cruise Control function switch at 5MPH or greater, the car automatically sets the cruise to 15MPH, and begins accelerating to that speed.

So if you hit that switch, when you're, say, palming the wheel to park, the car starts accelerating towards the car you're trying to park next to.

I hit the brakes immediately, and if I hadn't I'd imagine auto collision avoidance would have taken care if it, but still, yikes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I never tried using cruise control at such low speeds in any car I ever owned, so not sure if it's the norm. But I think allowing something like this to function below at least 25 MPH is just stupid.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Maybe you should just make sure it's off when you're not on a highway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nitrox posted:

I never tried using cruise control at such low speeds in any car I ever owned, so not sure if it's the norm. But I think allowing something like this to function below at least 25 MPH is just stupid.

Until recently cars would disable it under 25 MPH, but some modern cars with ACC have traffic jam modes meant to let you activate cruise control at low speeds with a button press or tap of the accelerator.

Setting the speed to 15 MPH when you enable it is a real head-scratcher, though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe you should just make sure it's off when you're not on a highway.

It wouldn't really make sense to, the way it works is the ACC is always ready to go, it's not like an older style CC where you have to enable it and then select the speed.

It just shouldn't come on at a default speed that's different than the speed one is currently traveling, that's inane, and only applicable to the 5-14MPH range.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This is obviously your fault somehow, Elviscat, and not yet another terrible user interface design by an automaker.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Elviscat more like ElviSCAT

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been binging aircraft crash investigation videos. So many of these happen because the pilot momentarily forgets how autopilot works. In the air they usually have many minutes to regain their bearings.

We’re all gonna die, is what I’m saying.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You remember when Bill Gates said the reason his software crashed was because people were using it wrong? At least Word doesn't crash in a way that can kill people.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just tested on my Kia. It won't do anything until 15mph. It is a non smart cruise control.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

cruft posted:

You remember when Bill Gates said the reason his software crashed was because people were using it wrong? At least Word doesn't crash in a way that can kill people.

Look, I know this is basically impossible to prove, but I am certain that a Word crash has been a major a significant component in the cause of the death of dozens of people. Like, I'm not even kidding, a crash and auto-recovery oversight has to be dozens of fatal medical errors alone.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 22, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Calibri font alone brought down a government in Pakistan

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I just found the most unforgivable UI design on my Bolt.

If you hit the "set" Cruise Control function switch at 5MPH or greater, the car automatically sets the cruise to 15MPH, and begins accelerating to that speed.

So if you hit that switch, when you're, say, palming the wheel to park, the car starts accelerating towards the car you're trying to park next to.

I hit the brakes immediately, and if I hadn't I'd imagine auto collision avoidance would have taken care if it, but still, yikes.

I'm sorry are you saying you use cruise control on city streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm sorry are you saying you use cruise control on city streets

I believe they are saying the cruise control is always ready to go and does not need to be turned on and off and then fiddled with. Touch one button and it proceeds to act, in unexpected ways