Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

i use a 32" 1440p but i sit far enough away, and also haven't been using windows for a while now lol

microsoft, the gorillion dollar company: gently caress you, bitch, you can just overspend on a screen
a few dudes in their spare time: yeah, sure, we can do this

:thunk:

it's been a while since i've dipped into linux as a desktop daily driver, but the last time i did the subpixel rendering situation was pretty bad

ubuntu was the only distro i found with a decent implementation out of the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that page is specifically excluded from any settings, at least for me, presumably so one can unfuck any settings they broke? idk

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ah that makes sense i guess

microsoft has kept subpixel AA going much longer than apple at least, they dropped it years ago and low-DPI monitors look absolutely terrible on macs now

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

repiv posted:

ah that makes sense i guess

microsoft has kept subpixel AA going much longer than apple at least, they dropped it years ago and low-DPI monitors look absolutely terrible on macs now

This isn’t completely accurate - macOS still looks fine if the dpi is around 110 ppi (or obviously 220 ppi for retina).

The more you diverge below 110 ppi, then it starts to look bad; it’s similar but not quite as bad when going up from 110 ppi. Probably the “worst case” is a 4K display that’s in-between 110 and 220 and is being scaled to a non-native resolution. Which leads to…

The other factor, which is scaling: if you’re on a high resolution display, like 4K, you can scale it to get quasi-Retina quality. This is where macOS’s revised integer scaling comes into play, where it scales a display up to say 5K and then back down to your target resolution. I believe this only applies if you’re using a resolution in between what’s “recommended” (2:1) or native. At native resolution, text appears fine.

So if you’re on a 4K display and you want to use 1440p, you’re going to have macOS scale the 4K to 5K, then apply 2:1 scaling for the target resolution. It will still look “ok”, but not as good as true Retina or native. It also uses a bit more resources to do so, but the actual impact of doing so has been overblown by a few YouTube channels.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I bought the LG 42 C2 to replace a 27" IPS 1440P 165Hz panel about 8 months ago.

Primary reason was I wanted an OLED display and 4K for gaming on consoles at my desk setup, along with PC gaming. I've since gotten away from the latter (moved the PS5 back downstairs to my living room 55" OLED, and PS5 patched in 1440P support), and use the C2 exclusively for PC gaming. I'm considering downsizing back to 27" now that OLEDs are available in that size and at 1440P. I've begun to get back in to online FPS games and while W40K Darktide has been a pleasant, casual experience, Hunt: Showdown makes me think the display might be too big for my desk. I don't have any specific requests here, I'm just musing. I'll play around with setting a custom 1440P resolution with integer scaling and get a feel for if I'm crazy or I'm just poop at games and its a me problem.

fake edit: TLDR; bought a 42 LG C2 not for the size, but for the display tech. Considering going back to 27".

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 17, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I bought the LG 42 C2 to replace a 27" IPS 1440P 165Hz panel about 8 months ago.

Primary reason was I wanted an OLED display and 4K for gaming on consoles at my desk setup, along with PC gaming. I've since gotten away from the latter (moved the PS5 back downstairs to my living room 55" OLED, and PS5 patched in 1440P support), and use the C2 exclusively for PC gaming. I'm considering downsizing back to 27" now that OLEDs are available in that size and at 1440P. I've begun to get back in to online FPS games and while W40K Darktide has been a pleasant, casual experience, Hunt: Showdown makes me think the display might be too big for my desk. I don't have any specific requests here, I'm just musing. I'll play around with setting a custom 1440P resolution with integer scaling and get a feel for if I'm crazy or I'm just poop at games and its a me problem.

fake edit: TLDR; bought a 42 LG C2 not for the size, but for the display tech. Considering going back to 27".

Asus, Corsair, LG and a few others are all offering a 27 inch oled at 240hz

LG makes the panel itself, but they might not have the best monitor due to cooling and brightness.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
I'm looking for a 4K monitor to go along with my new PC and this one seems pretty good to me:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012040?Item=N82E16824012040

Reviews seem pretty positive on the whole. A few of the reviews mention dead pixels but I don't know how common that is.

I haven't shopped for a monitor in years so I thought I'd run this by the thread and see if I could be doing better. I don't need the absolute best monitor out there but if spending more money on another monitor is the better decision I can do that. Or if there's some red flag here I missed and this monitor is actually bad or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Get the Gigabyte M27U instead. Better response times, with no inverse ghosting at low refresh rates unlike the M28U. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m27u

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
x-post from mac hardware

my 1440p 144hz monitor has an hdmi 2.0 output and a display port output I already use my for my gaming pc. Would I be able to get that refresh rate by running an hdmi->usb-c cable into a closed macbook air m2? I’ve seen that’s possible with a displayport -> usb-c cable, but it’d rather keep my displayport dedicated to my rig.

I see some anker docks support hdmi at 4k at 60hz, so would that mean I could get 120hz at 1440p? Ideally I could run an hdmi cable from my monitor into a dock instead of a dedicated line

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know anything about mac hardware, but based on the specs of the HDMI 2.0 interface alone, it should be possible. HDMI 2.0 is theoretically capable of 8-bit 1440p 144hz, but 10-bit color is too much for 120/144.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Head Bee Guy posted:

x-post from mac hardware

my 1440p 144hz monitor has an hdmi 2.0 output and a display port output I already use my for my gaming pc. Would I be able to get that refresh rate by running an hdmi->usb-c cable into a closed macbook air m2? I’ve seen that’s possible with a displayport -> usb-c cable, but it’d rather keep my displayport dedicated to my rig.

I see some anker docks support hdmi at 4k at 60hz, so would that mean I could get 120hz at 1440p? Ideally I could run an hdmi cable from my monitor into a dock instead of a dedicated line

You should be able to, but double check what the USB4 port supports video-wise for the MBA. Apple used to limit the output on their TB3 ports but I think they’ve changed it since then.

I’ve been able to hit 3840x1440p at 120hz on my 14” MBP M1 Max using a USB4->HDMI adapter.

Handles Are Dumb
Jul 22, 2003
Title text
I just upgraded to a new 4090/7800x3d system and plugged in my old Dell S2417DG 1440p.

I'm worried somebody is going to come arrest me for having such a criminally unimpressive monitor on a top end system.

I'm looking for an upgrade in the $500-$1000 range. I'm undecided on 1440 vs 4k. I want a 27" monitor because of space limitations. I'd primarily use I for gaming, but I'd like it to have a good display for text since it will double as my work from home monitor.

I want something as visually impressive as I can get with the work/size limitations.

Any recommendations?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Handles Are Dumb posted:

I just upgraded to a new 4090/7800x3d system and plugged in my old Dell S2417DG 1440p.

I'm worried somebody is going to come arrest me for having such a criminally unimpressive monitor on a top end system.

I'm looking for an upgrade in the $500-$1000 range. I'm undecided on 1440 vs 4k. I want a 27" monitor because of space limitations. I'd primarily use I for gaming, but I'd like it to have a good display for text since it will double as my work from home monitor.

I want something as visually impressive as I can get with the work/size limitations.

Any recommendations?

If speed is your thing: $1050

ASUS ROG Swift 360Hz 27” 1440P HDR Gaming Monitor (PG27AQN) - QHD (2560 x 1440), Fast IPS, 1ms, G-SYNC, Eye Care, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB, Ergonomic Design, VESA Wall Mountable, HDR10, DisplayHDR600 https://a.co/d/bXaHroD

Trading a little speed for OLED: $900 (sale!)

Corsair XENEON 27QHD240 27-Inch OLED Gaming Monitor - 2560 x 1440, 240Hz, 0.03ms, NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible, AMD FreeSync™ Premium, DisplayHDR10, HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4, USB-C 3.1 - Black https://a.co/d/6tD6T0F

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Asus, Corsair, LG and a few others are all offering a 27 inch oled at 240hz

LG makes the panel itself, but they might not have the best monitor due to cooling and brightness.

Thanks! The Corsair looks intriguing. I’ll keep that in mind if I decide to make a change.

Last night I deliberately pushed myself farther back and it was more comfortable. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so I should take advantage of their mobility and move more forward or back depending on my use case!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

The other factor, which is scaling: if you’re on a high resolution display, like 4K, you can scale it to get quasi-Retina quality. This is where macOS’s revised integer scaling comes into play, where it scales a display up to say 5K and then back down to your target resolution. I believe this only applies if you’re using a resolution in between what’s “recommended” (2:1) or native. At native resolution, text appears fine.

So if you’re on a 4K display and you want to use 1440p, you’re going to have macOS scale the 4K to 5K, then apply 2:1 scaling for the target resolution. It will still look “ok”, but not as good as true Retina or native. It also uses a bit more resources to do so, but the actual impact of doing so has been overblown by a few YouTube channels.

I'm disappointed something similar isn't offered for Windows. Scale up the screen using 2 x 2 pixel addition, then use a shader that is aware of the output displays subpixel layout to scale everything back down with nice anti-aliased edges. There are already ways to pass video or other non-scalable data directly to the output layer, so you aren't going to end up with much jank, especially if it can reference Microsofts compatibility layer which already tracks hi-dpi compatibility in applications. Even the lowest end laptop gpu should be able to manage this with very low power use and nowdelay.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Handles Are Dumb posted:

words

Any recommendations?

Be cool, go ultra wide, get the alienware aw3423dwf qd-oled, marvel at its beauty.

edit sorry just noticed you said you need 27"

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 19, 2023

Handles Are Dumb
Jul 22, 2003
Title text

spunkshui posted:

If speed is your thing: $1050

Trading a little speed for OLED: $900 (sale!)

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't need that kind of crazy refresh rate. I've never been good at Counter Strike.

I also don't think OLED is a good option with the amount of burnout from Excel and Word being open 8 hours a day.

Can you point me towards a high-end IPS that isn't over the top on refresh rate? I'm not eager to pay for rates above 165. I'd rather run games at higher settings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 4090 is kind of wasted on 1440p 165hz. When paired with a 7800X3D, it's a good candidate for ultra high refresh rate gaming. But if you don't care for that, then I think you should consider an ultrawide or 4K instead.

If you want a high-end LCD, there's the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7. Unfortunately, you just missed a recent sale where it was $850 (or under $700 if you qualified for the samsung offers program). The mini-LED backlight enables "local dimming," a feature that lets the monitor dim certain parts of the screen independently of others, which when done well allows for an excellent-quality HDR experience. There are other 4K LCDs with mini-LED backlights for under $1000, though there aren't any that come without some caveats. There's backlight flickering with many when using VRR at the same time as HDR, some of them have dog-slow response times (including some "premium" monitors that cost $2k+, embarrassingly), and then there's the Innocn 27M2V which seems promising, but it has mediocre build quality, a frustrating OSD, and even a chance to brick your monitor if you try to use some of its usb functionality. The Acer X32 FP seems okay, but it has some calibration issues, and it's hideously overpriced.

So uh, I really like my Neo G7. The curve isn't for everyone, the local dimming can cause some distracting blooming when using it alongside dark-mode windows apps (a problem inherent to mini-led backlights), and there is some panel lottery when it comes to whether you get noticeable flickering or not when using VRR, but that seems pretty rare and it's a really good high-end HDR monitor overall in my opinion. You could try waiting for another sale, though it may be a few months before it drops down to $850 again.

Or if you just don't care about HDR at all, then get either the Gigabyte M27U or M32U, in my opinion. They're great high-refresh 4K IPS displays. They don't do anything fancy with HDR, but their SDR picture quality is fantastic.

edit: Sorry, only now noticed you wanted a 27" monitor. I suggest an M27U in that case.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2023

Geek Icon
May 8, 2006
Hello.
I'm in the market for a new monitor too after upgrading to a massive silly video card.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 4090 is kind of wasted on 1440p 165hz. When paired with a 7800X3D, it's a good candidate for ultra high refresh rate gaming. But if you don't care for that, then I think you should consider an ultrawide or 4K instead.

If you want a high-end LCD, there's the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7. Unfortunately, you just missed a recent sale where it was $850 (or under $700 if you qualified for the samsung offers program). The mini-LED backlight enables "local dimming," a feature that lets the monitor dim certain parts of the screen independently of others, which when done well allows for an excellent-quality HDR experience. There are other 4K LCDs with mini-LED backlights for under $1000, though there aren't any that come without some caveats. There's backlight flickering with many when using VRR at the same time as HDR, some of them have dog-slow response times (including some "premium" monitors that cost $2k+, embarrassingly), and then there's the Innocn 27M2V which seems promising, but it has mediocre build quality, a frustrating OSD, and even a chance to brick your monitor if you try to use some of its usb functionality. The Acer X32 FP seems okay, but it has some calibration issues, and it's hideously overpriced.

So uh, I really like my Neo G7. The curve isn't for everyone, the local dimming can cause some distracting blooming when using it alongside dark-mode windows apps (a problem inherent to mini-led backlights), and there is some panel lottery when it comes to whether you get noticeable flickering or not when using VRR, but that seems pretty rare and it's a really good high-end HDR monitor overall in my opinion. You could try waiting for another sale, though it may be a few months before it drops down to $850 again.

Is there a reason you went for the Neo G7 instead of the G8? How bad are the scanline issues? I've narrowed my choices down to the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7/G8 and Alienware AW3423DW (AW3423DWF isn't available where I am) and they also seem to be the highest recommended 4K and UW monitors on rtings and Monitor Unboxed, so which one would be the best to spring for?
I'm thinking for the next 3-4 years at least and I'd definitely want either a 4K monitor or 34" ultrawide to get the most out of my hardware. For some very odd reason the Neo G8 is also cheaper than the Neo G7 in my local Amazon store. Even that OLED G8 ultrawide one is cheaper.

I underestimated how massive the 4090 is. Now I have to tear apart my reservoir/pump and fit in a decent AIO. I also have to get a new monitor because I'm dumb. You all provided me with great advice a few years ago so I'd like to run it by again after doing my research.

For reference I currently have the 2020 model 27" Odyssey G7 which has been pretty nice so far.

edit: after further reading I'm actually also leaning quite heavily towards the Neo G7 or G8, I've never had a 4K monitor before.

Geek Icon fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 19, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm currently looking for everything the Alienware OLED is but without ultrawide. What's the best approximation? I have a 3080 so driving 4K >60Hz games will be a bit much, but if a few years from now I can pick up something capable of that a 27"-28" 1440p could turn into a second screen if it's light enough for my monitor arms.

As I've been posting in this thread for >12yrs I still have 1200p60Hz in 3x1, and I'm thinking of going 1x2 or a main monitor with two of those displays sitting above it and angled down for static content like Discord / maps / etc.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I'm currently looking for everything the Alienware OLED is but without ultrawide. What's the best approximation? I have a 3080 so driving 4K >60Hz games will be a bit much, but if a few years from now I can pick up something capable of that a 27"-28" 1440p could turn into a second screen if it's light enough for my monitor arms.

As I've been posting in this thread for >12yrs I still have 1200p60Hz in 3x1, and I'm thinking of going 1x2 or a main monitor with two of those displays sitting above it and angled down for static content like Discord / maps / etc.

LG made a 27 inch OLED panel that runs at 240 Hz and you can buy it from them, corsair, and Asus.

I am unaware of any 32 inch OLED screens, but they are on the way.

https://www.pcgamer.com/upcoming-32-inch-4k-oled-gaming-monitors-from-samsung-and-lg-look-pretty-much-perfect/

The corsair flex OLED has a killer sale, but I think that is wide.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/mon...r-cm-9030001-na

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Geek Icon posted:

Is there a reason you went for the Neo G7 instead of the G8? How bad are the scanline issues? I've narrowed my choices down to the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7/G8 and Alienware AW3423DW (AW3423DWF isn't available where I am) and they also seem to be the highest recommended 4K and UW monitors on rtings and Monitor Unboxed, so which one would be the best to spring for?
I'm thinking for the next 3-4 years at least and I'd definitely want either a 4K monitor or 34" ultrawide to get the most out of my hardware. For some very odd reason the Neo G8 is also cheaper than the Neo G7 in my local Amazon store. Even that OLED G8 ultrawide one is cheaper.

I underestimated how massive the 4090 is. Now I have to tear apart my reservoir/pump and fit in a decent AIO. I also have to get a new monitor because I'm dumb. You all provided me with great advice a few years ago so I'd like to run it by again after doing my research.

For reference I currently have the 2020 model 27" Odyssey G7 which has been pretty nice so far.

edit: after further reading I'm actually also leaning quite heavily towards the Neo G7 or G8, I've never had a 4K monitor before.

Driving frame rates over 165 at 4K is difficult even for the 4090. Given the higher cost along with the potential for the Neo G8 to exhibit the scanline issue, I figured it wasn't worth it and got the Neo G7 instead. I also used a 240hz display before and was generally not super impressed with the results when going above 165.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Am I right in thinking that 1440p@144Hz is the sweet spot for monitors these days?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
depends on what you want

i'd really like a 4k or even 5k 32-34" screen, but decent ones cost $1000+ so i went for a $300 1440p@165

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does 5K even come in >60Hz / VRR?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Truga posted:

depends on what you want

i'd really like a 4k or even 5k 32-34" screen, but decent ones cost $1000+ so i went for a $300 1440p@165

My current monitor is a Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor from 2014. Still works fine but I wouldn't mind a bump in resolution and refresh rate. Are high DPI screens still a mess on Windows or is that a thing of the past?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

High DPI works fine with any remotely modern apps. It's only apps using the older windows apis that can be a bit blurry when using high DPI scaling.

That said, the "sweet spot" for gaming performance is definitely high-refresh 1440p. 4K sets you on a pretty aggressive GPU upgrade treadmill, as you get roughly half the frame rate at that compared to 1440p. This is mitigated by how good upscaling is these days, but 1440p is still the obvious choice for a long-lasting system.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hey Dr. Video Games, were the ultrawide OLEDs out when you got your G7? If so what made you decide to go with 4k over OLED? I’m Hemingway and hawing and curious about your reasoning.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The AW3423DW was out at that point, yeah. I went with the Neo G7 partially because I wanted the higher resolution and partially because I knew my usage habits would almost assuredly lead to burn-in. And even with burn-in protection in the 3-year warranty, that's not something I wanted to deal with.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I like having a wallpaper and taskbar pins, both of which I would miss with an OLED, but maybe not so much if the colour and VRR really is that much better than top-end IPS / micro LED backlight.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I got like a grand to drop on a new monitor. I'm thinking I want an ultra wide, I'm on a 2 monitor set up right now, one 24 and one 27 inch. It seems like everyone likes the 34" alienware quantom dot OLED one mentioned a couple posts above, is that a good one?

Some concerns I have:
-I play a really big variety of games. First person stuff is probably fine but is it bad for things like RTS, platformers, MOBAs? If so can it be set back to a 16:9 ratio easily with black bars?
-It is gonna work on a standard monitor arm?
-Is doing work (excel/word/pdf mostly, some IDEs) on it annoying with the curve?
-Movies, other media work OK on it? Again probably fine if I can just force it to 16:9 with bars easily.
-Do you goons that have made the plunge like the ultrawide in general?

I also have the most neckbeardiest set up, a recliner with my computer next to it and monitor arms that swing the monitor(s) out in front of me, if that's gonna be an issue.

I like the monitor but nervous to take a plunge into a new thing for that cost.

e: also what's just the height of it compared to a "27?

vaginite fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I had an ultrawide at work and the curve most likely will not bother you after a few minutes. I have to curve my 3x1 setup for it to be evenly visible; a curved ultrawide is doing the same thing (especially if it's PVA and trying to spare you awkward viewing angles).

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Am I right in thinking that 1440p@144Hz is the sweet spot for monitors these days?

It’s pretty sweet that what was considered top-of-the-line gaming hardware five years ago is now extremely affordable, but the top of the line has moved up.

$900-1000 will get you 100 more frames per second and OLED.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "sweet spot".

1440p 144hz+ is definitely the sweet spot.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

so I noticed on the AW3423DWF in diablo 4 I get a pretty annoying and distracting flickering that seems to bounce between like a +/- 10% brightness whenever I have g-sync on and open any menu, upon further investigation I'm reading that this is an OLED thing that actually happens in EVERY game because something to do with the gamma loving up whenever the oled isn't at like 60/90/120/144/165hz, I tried turning g-sync off and it seems to go away, but the immediate screen tearing is awful. so am I'm just poo poo out of luck on ever using VRR on this thing?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a more graceful workaround would be to leave gsync on but cap your FPS at the highest number your system can sustain consistently

it's not ideal though, yeah

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

repiv posted:

a more graceful workaround would be to leave gsync on but cap your FPS at the highest number your system can sustain consistently

it's not ideal though, yeah

Very much not ideal, I already have it capped at 10 below my refresh to get 10 bit color, the idea of going even lower, maybe I'm being a baby but seems like the kind of compromise I shouldn't have to make at $1000, also I kind of wish this issue was more covered, I watched so, so, so many c1-2 and qd-oled reviews since the original aw3423dw came out over a year ago, and I can't recall anyone ever mentioning this, not even hardware unboxed, who complain about the nonstandard sub-pixel layout in EVERY oled video mentioned it, so it's not like it's an issue of I missed the one episode where they talked about it, yet I'm able to find a fair number of reddit threads about it so clearly it's an issue. I'm not mad, I can still return it, just really really bummed.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 23, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i've seen it come up in the context of OLED TVs, but not in the context of monitors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfl3UdWZIUQ

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

repiv posted:

i've seen it come up in the context of OLED TVs, but not in the context of monitors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfl3UdWZIUQ

Just goes to show, that no matter how much research you think you did, it's never enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's also not just an OLED thing, it happens with mini-LED backlit monitors too. Plus or minus ten percent, only in some games, and only in menus is similar to my Neo G7, though apparently some mini-LED backlit monitors get much worse flickering that can happen during regular gameplay too. The Cooler Master/KTC ones are known for this.

I definitely recall at least some reviewers mentioning it with the AW3423DW and DWF. Prior to release, I recall some people suggesting that the G-Sync Ultimate module in the DW was necessary to fix the issue, but then when it came out it still happened anyway. And the DWF is actually a little better about it despite the lack of the module? (So basically, the module does nothing regarding VRR flicker.) I can't remember if it was HUB/MUB that talked about this or not.

edit: Vincent mentions it in this part of his AW3423DW review (timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNG2s0yPIDY&t=412s

He says the VRR flicker is less noticeable when the refresh rate is set to 144hz.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 23, 2023