Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It also sucks that the Captain mode in multiplayer is decent fun but uncustomizable. So your options are to head to public lobbies where some sweatlord will literally shithouse you so hard that you lose all the troops while they lose none, or you can not play.

There's no way to create a private server where I get to play 2 buddies versus 2 buddies, or against AI or anything. Wasted potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have fond memories of warband lan Captain battles with my friends. It's crazy that with this much development time they haven't created something similar for bannerlord.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, it’s a bit disappointing how little they’ve improved the game since it came out in early access. I guess wait a year for all the interesting mods to be polished.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

"Siege weapons are OP" - Medieval peasant, probably

Edit: What did they do to the workshops in the beta patch? I'm making almost no profit off any of them, and for the ones I do, it's pretty much just because I've supplied all the raw materials manually.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 20, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Broken Cog posted:

"Siege weapons are OP" - Medieval peasant, probably

Edit: What did they do to the workshops in the beta patch? I'm making almost no profit off any of them, and for the ones I do, it's pretty much just because I've supplied all the raw materials manually.

I love dropping the fire pot things on people trying to climb ladders in sieges.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you can line up a mangonel shot on the stream of guys following behind a siege tower or battering ram it's like 20-30 kills per shot. Fun if you can pull it off but I generally suck at using siege weapons and usually just end up sniping dudes with my bow.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Throwing axes are still pretty garbage damage compared to Javelins, but it's really funny watching a line of Heavy Axemen completely destroy an advancing shieldwall since they destroy shields in 2-3 hits if you stack all the shield damage captain perks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the other thing re: declaring yourself king or whatever is i'm curious how buying fiefs works while independent (e.g., the 300 trade perk)

however:

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Yeah, it’s a bit disappointing how little they’ve improved the game since it came out in early access. I guess wait a year for all the interesting mods to be polished.

this also 100% applies to the way the game progresses. trying to do Trade "legitimately" will ensure that your character is in their 40s before they hit 300, so literally the only way to get that high without wanting to cut your own eyes out is - surprise! - use Smithing to do an exploit with materials.

at this point i am kind of considering turning the game on again, but the literal only way i can see tolerating it is if i install an XP gain mod and just crank it all the way to 100x so i instantly hard cap. genuinely, there are MMOs in existence with less grind than bannerlord.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 20, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Coolguye posted:

the other thing re: declaring yourself king or whatever is i'm curious how buying fiefs works while independent (e.g., the 300 trade perk)

however:

this also 100% applies to the way the game progresses. trying to do Trade "legitimately" will ensure that your character is in their 40s before they hit 300, so literally the only way to get that high without wanting to cut your own eyes out is - surprise! - use Smithing to do an exploit with materials.

at this point i am kind of considering turning the game on again, but the literal only way i can see tolerating it is if i install an XP gain mod and just crank it all the way to 100x so i instantly hard cap. genuinely, there are MMOs in existence with less grind than bannerlord.

Pretty sure you could just console command yourself those points.

Trade is fun early game but yeah does drag once you start getting into the higher skill levels. The pugio / caravan exploit is the fastest way to get high up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWx2Azqu5g

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

Trade is fun early game but yeah does drag once you start getting into the higher skill levels. The pugio / caravan exploit is the fastest way to get high up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWx2Azqu5g
imho it is the only way to get high up. doing it legitimately is so loving dumb i can't understand why they haven't patched it yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eeeeeeeh, if you have points in it, move around a lot and always buy and sell green tradegoods in bulk, trading isn't that bad to level. You'll often get 2-3 levels off a big enough bulk sale, even on higher levels. Kinds tedious, but at least you're making money while you do it.

Now try levelling medicine lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Eeeeeeeh, if you have points in it, move around a lot and always buy and sell green tradegoods in bulk, trading isn't that bad to level. You'll often get 2-3 levels off a big enough bulk sale, even on higher levels. Kinds tedious, but at least you're making money while you do it.

Now try levelling medicine lol

genuinely much easier.

1) get many dudes. lots of dudes. 100+ dudes. quality doesn't matter. bandits, peasants, who cares.
2) go sell all your food at a town.
3) walk out of the town and wait for a day.
4) note that many dudes are "injured" from starvation.
5) return to town, buy food. wait for another day.

go to #2. medicine will level very, very quickly because you are generating shittons of injuries very quickly and at no real threat to yourself. what are your starvation lads gonna do? desert? who cares.

trade XP does not scale very well past level 100-125 or so. the problem is that you actively cannot do the "bulk" part of what you are talking about very well. even if you traverse the entire map and bring tons of goods to a place that never sees them, you will saturate local demand pretty much instantly. you can get around the demand portion by selling to other caravans but by that point you are just doing the quoted caravan exploit with extra steps.

trade XP not scaling wouldn't be an issue in many cases but the capstone perk at trade 300 has the potential to be one of the most powerful abilities in the game if it works the way it says on the tin. which is one of the things i'm curious to figure out.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 21, 2023

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You don"t have to sell everything at one place, just stop by every big settlement and buy/sell stuff until it's not bright green anymore. With stuff like grain and fish you can usually transfer hundreds of units before it makes a dent in the price.

The 300 perk works as avertised, but be prepared to pay many millions for a big settlement

Edit: The medicine leveling method you posted is a pretty obvious exploit, which I tend to try to avoid doing. It already feels cheesy enough to get 80k from a single smithing order.
Though that's another annoying part of workshops being busted right now, once again crafting is the only real non-combat moneymaker.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 21, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Lol I love getting a castle that I will do absolutely nothing with and cap its garrison wage at like 500 a day. Take it back I don't care!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You don"t have to sell everything at one place, just stop by every big settlement and buy/sell stuff until it's not bright green anymore. With stuff like grain and fish you can usually transfer hundreds of units before it makes a dent in the price.

The 300 perk works as avertised, but be prepared to pay many millions for a big settlement

Edit: The medicine leveling method you posted is a pretty obvious exploit, which I tend to try to avoid doing. It already feels cheesy enough to get 80k from a single smithing order.
Though that's another annoying part of workshops being busted right now, once again crafting is the only real non-combat moneymaker.
which also means that you make only a few thousand in profit, and means you still don't make that much money, and therefore not that much trade xp. the last time i did it all this way i was genuinely in my late 30s before i got to 300, doing literally just that and only that. apparently i wasn't the only person who had this happen this way either, since as i was asking around on reddit and the steam forums people said they were surprised i got there before 40. it's an absolutely ridiculous grind, to the point where you might as well not have the skills at all.

so like. i get where you are coming from on the whole 'that's an exploit' thing but the vanilla game is balanced like such utter poo poo right now that i don't see a choice in the matter. you either exploit or you functionally can't use it at all. used to be that you gained Trade by just owning caravans that ran around and made money, if that was the case still it might be another matter. but they changed that years ago and show no interest in reverting that terrible decision. so until they provide a way to get stuff up WITHOUT exploiting, at least from where i sit exploiting is what we are stuck with.

more to the point though, can you buy fiefs as an independent and functionally found your own faction that way? have you messed with that at all?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't tried doing it as independent, but I'd imagine it would work essentially the same as if you'd taken that fief by force.
Also yeah, I'd be all for caravans and workshops giving trading experience. Would give some incentive to keep them running, since they don't generate much profit nowadays.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't tried doing it as independent, but I'd imagine it would work essentially the same as if you'd taken that fief by force.
Also yeah, I'd be all for caravans and workshops giving trading experience. Would give some incentive to keep them running, since they don't generate much profit nowadays.

They were supposed to give trade xp, it just wasn’t implemented I don’t think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

downout posted:

They were supposed to give trade xp, it just wasn’t implemented I don’t think.

Just in case you for some reason still felt bad about consoling xp onto yourself

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I just use the cheats mod to give my character a 3x xp multiplier

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of, the "Smuggler" quests you sometimes get from nobles give an abnormally large amount of charm exp atm. Worth looking out for. Doing one gave me around 25 levels early on.

They're also very easy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

I just use the cheats mod to give my character a 3x xp multiplier

currently experimenting with XPTweaks and i'mma be honest even 10x doesn't feel too out of place for anything you don't use in combat. for combat skills yeah you cap out like instantly but failing that i just don't feel the need to exploit any more.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I skipped to the end of the thread.

I suck, and I lost my entire army.

Is there a way to recover without using cheat editors?

Also, I suck, and was struggling anyways before I joined a kingdom.

am i just delusional?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

turns out a city is worth a little less than 8MM denars

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Coolguye posted:

turns out a city is worth a little less than 8MM denars

I think you just got taken in by this guy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I think you just got taken in by this guy

homie looks super loving pissed to be making that much money

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

blight rhino posted:

I skipped to the end of the thread.

I suck, and I lost my entire army.

Is there a way to recover without using cheat editors?

Also, I suck, and was struggling anyways before I joined a kingdom.

am i just delusional?

The game tries to be a realistic early medieval simulator, but it doesn't have seasons, or water transport, or more than two levels to its feudal structure, or more than one currency, or any clerics; the castles are situated away from choke points, the roads don't do anything, the villages lack defences, and bridges sit in the middle of nowhere instead of being the heart of settlements.
And you can trade a dozen polearms for a city. If they're really nice polearms.
I love this game, but I've long since given up on playing it in a "fair" fashion!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

And you can trade a dozen polearms for a city. If they're really nice polearms.
I love this game, but I've long since given up on playing it in a "fair" fashion!
surprisingly i found this not to be the case, i tried rolling up to homie up there with the polearms and i was surprised to find that he did not value them fairly; he actually weighed them at about 1/3rd of their value at an open market, which is why i am trading him a hysterical amount of money instead of a bunch of polearms.

castles seem to go for between 1 and 1.5MM, which is pretty cheap really. the other super nice thing about buying a place vs conquering it is that the garrison and militia come over to you whole cloth rather than needing to be rebuilt. also, the country in question doesn't immediately go into a hellwar with you, which gives you way more time to use your new facilities and stuff.

now i need to figure out ways to train recruits that don't involve chasing down the very limited resource of juicy bandit parties and we'll be in good shape.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can leave recruits in garrisons, and they will rank up over time.

Other than that, look for Caravan Ambush or Army of Poachers missions in towns, Extortion by Deserters in villages, or the smuggler mission from lords. All of which have lots of easy enemies to level your army on.

For leveling characters, look for the town and village bandit hideout missions, and do those.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Coolguye posted:

homie looks super loving pissed to be making that much money

lmao for real

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You can leave recruits in garrisons, and they will rank up over time.

Other than that, look for Caravan Ambush or Army of Poachers missions in towns, Extortion by Deserters in villages, or the smuggler mission from lords. All of which have lots of easy enemies to level your army on.

For leveling characters, look for the town and village bandit hideout missions, and do those.

so the first part makes sense, good reminder

for the second part, how does that help? do you just get a flat payout of xp for being part of that or what's the deal there

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Bandit hideouts lets you take with you a small band against spread out groups of enemies, so they are great for training combat skills for companions or clan members without them getting knocked out immediately. Just let them do the fighting while you hang back.

You don't really need to pick up the missions to do them, but it's basically free money/charm exp, and if you don't have the hideout discovered, it'll note it on the map for you.

Edit: Oh! And I completely forgot about the armor/weapon donation perks (under leadership, I think), that give you tons of exp based on what you leave behind after a battle. Can really let you powerlevel your troops if you're willing to forego some profit.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 25, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Oh! And I completely forgot about the armor/weapon donation perks (under leadership, I think), that give you tons of exp based on what you leave behind after a battle. Can really let you powerlevel your troops if you're willing to forego some profit.
ah ha! yep, i forgot about this too, that's what i need to build toward. none of that stuff registers for me since i took the loving 1.5 yrs in game to get good at making polearms and 2 handed swords anyway.

e: it's under stewardship

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 25, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

"I wipe my rear end with 7 million denars!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the greatest thing is that outside of battle armor the guy basically looks like if shaggy from scooby doo kept letting his hair grow after college

though now that the thread made me go do this i can't help but notice his wife died a year back. he's 10 years older than my character but it's hard to argue with those skills.

e: i love these perks

i don't have the slightest clue why many aserai cities have 250+ copies of plain old "javelin" but by god am i happy they do

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 26, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Coolguye posted:

the greatest thing is that outside of battle armor the guy basically looks like if shaggy from scooby doo kept letting his hair grow after college

CAV ON PARADE!!!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Pennywise the Frown posted:

CAV ON PARADE!!!

:hmmyes:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Some of those that raise forces / are the same that ride horses

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this is just ridiculous

a castle with 2 villages attached to it, 310k denars

e: i want it on record, i still have neither declared myself a kingdom nor gone to war with anyone. as far as i can tell, the aserai literally cannot declare war on me until i do declare myself a kingdom, because in any other circumstance they should basically go "oh hey an enemy with a few towns and poo poo, we should stomp them with 1200 dudes and take their land"

i am basically just running around, forcing bandit parties to join me with Roguery, turning them into real troopers with Leadership, and then turning them into elites with Stewardship. i have hundreds of imperial legionnaires that all used to be random looters i yelled at until they joined me. i am losing like 2k denars a day because i have 1200 mostly tier 5-6 soldiers in garrison between my town and the two castles i own.

i cannot gain influence nor recruit new people like this, so i'm getting close to the limit of what i can do soon, but it's absurd how well this works.

ee: on a somewhat related note after like 150 hours in game i'm finally having a shitload of fun, 10/10 would change nothing about this run.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 27, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bgreman posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bgreman posted:

:golfclap:

I started a steppe horse archer campaign and while I did fine it just didn't work for me the same way that being a 7 foot tall Amazon riding fools down and hacking them in half with a two handed axe did. For one thing, battles take a bunch longer even with fairly high level horse archers. I still get a lot of kills, but I feel like I have to work for it a lot more.

I've had campaigns where I've explored the unit trees of pretty much all of the factions except for the Aseri at this point, think I might have to go with them next time.