Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

well, you have to be more specific, I'm sure as gently caress not watching videos people post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fair enough lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

we just had someone visit us who rented a car through Turo which is apparently like Airbnb for cars.

and, just like Airbnb, there are folks who just own dozens of cars strictly for the purpose of renting them on Turo (where they expect you to clean and wash it before returning it?)

I wonder why stock of new cars is so low.

there's a big debate in honolulu about this because apparently people bought dozens of cars to rent on turo and park them all on the street in their neighborhood and their neighbors are pissed because now there's no street parking

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stereotype posted:

there's a big debate in honolulu about this because apparently people bought dozens of cars to rent on turo and park them all on the street in their neighborhood and their neighbors are pissed because now there's no street parking

Lol. Humanity amazes me. Astounding.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao of course city planners were just kinda guessing when they made the rules during suburbanisation. That explains a lot

here's some fun reading that i've carefully excerpted from the best book on this topic :shobon:

it's a 750 page tome but it's probably the best critical perspective on north american parking and land use available

The High Cost of Free Parking, Donald Shoup posted:

[...]

Planning education provides no instruction on how practicing planners should set parking requirements, and textbooks offer no help. Consider the four editions of Urban Land Use Planning by F. Stuart Chapin and his coauthors.12 This distinguished text is the bible of urban land-use planning, yet no edition mentions parking. Most texts in regional science, transportation planning, and urban economics also ignore parking.13 I have asked many professors of urban planning if their departments offer any instruction on how planners set parking requirements, and the answer is always no. Perhaps planning students learn almost nothing about parking requirements because their professors know almost nothing to teach them. Somehow, the urban land use with the biggest footprint and a profound effect on the transportation system has been invisible to scholars in every discipline.

[...]

Despite their lack of professional training, practicing planners in every city must set the parking requirements for every land use. Zoning codes throughout the country contain thousands of different parking requirements—the Ten Thousand Commandments for off-street parking. Planners set parking requirements almost as if they were physicians prescribing drugs, but they have no theory, no training, and often no data to help them. No textbook explains the theory of parking requirements because there is none. Professors cannot teach their students how to set parking requirements because no one has carried out research on how to do it.

Without clairvoyance, how do practicing planners predict how much parking every land use needs? To find out, Richard Willson surveyed planning directors and senior planners, and asked, What sources of information do you normally use to set minimum parking requirements for workplaces? Forty-five percent of the respondents ranked “Survey nearby cities” as most important, and “Institute of Transportation Engineers handbooks” came in second place at 15 percent. More planners responded “Don’t know” (5 percent) than responded that they commissioned parking studies (3 percent).18 According to Robert Dunphy of the Urban Land Institute, “Local codes typically are based on either someone else’s requirements or on the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) parking data.”19 I will explore these two strategies—copy other cities, and consult ITE data—and the problems they cause.

[...]

Although ITE’s parking generation rates are hardly scientific and can seriously overestimate even the peak demand for free parking, planners who consult Parking Generation act like frightened supplicants bowing before a powerful totem. ITE’s stamp of authority relieves planners from the obligation to think for themselves because simple answers are right there in the book. ITE offers a precise, off-the-shelf number without addressing difficult public policy questions, although it does warn, “Users of this report should exercise extreme caution when utilizing data that is based on a small number of studies.”53 This sounds suspiciously like the Surgeon General’s warning on a pack of cigarettes. Users have an obligation to be cautious, but planners nevertheless rely on ITE’s parking generation rates to set the minimum requirements for their communities. For example, the median parking requirement for fast-food restaurants in the U.S. is 10 spaces per 1,000 square feet of floor area—almost identical to ITE’s reported parking generation rate of 9.95 spaces per 1,000 square feet.54 Because parking lots occupy about 330 square feet of land per parking space, a parking requirement of 10 spaces per 1,000 square feet of floor area leads to a parking lot over three times the size of the restaurant itself.55 Planners expect minimum parking requirements to meet the peak demand for free parking, and parking generation rates predict this peak demand precisely! When ITE speaks, urban planners listen.

[...]

Cities require parking spaces during the permit application process when planners, developers, and tenants know the least about the future demand for parking. The inevitable uncertainty about parking demand helps explain why cities often require more than enough spaces to meet the peak demand. An office building, for example, may first be used by a corporate headquarters with 300-square-foot offices for executives, and then by a telemarketing firm with 30-square-foot cubicles for sales personnel. Squeezing more workers into a building can greatly increase parking demand. In a survey of 57 employment centers, Robert Cervero found that the building occupancy rates ranged from 0.5 to 6 persons per 1,000 square feet (a ratio of 12 to 1).56 In a similar survey of 33 low-rise office buildings, Gruen Associates found occupancies ranging from 1.6 to 17 persons per 1,000 square feet (a ratio of 11 to 1).57 And in the Seattle region, a survey of 36 employment sites found densities ranging from 0.5 to 5.6 persons per 1,000 square feet (a ratio of 11 to 1).58 Given this broad range of possible building occupancy, no one can accurately predict the demand for parking at an office building throughout its useful life.

ITE’s format for presenting data helps explain why cities require too much parking in response to uncertainty. Figure 2-2 shows the report for nonconvention hotels in the second edition of Parking Generation. (The parking generation rates for the four observations have been added to the data plot.) Four observations may seem too few to estimate a parking generation rate, but half the ITE parking generation rates are based on four or fewer observations.

Given the variation in observed peak demand (ranging from 0.29 to 0.68 parking spaces per room), what is a planner to say when asked to set the parking requirement for a hotel? ITE reports that average peak parking occupancy is 0.52 spaces per room. Transportation engineer Steven Smith points out that if a city requires only enough parking spaces to satisfy the average parking generation rate, about half of all sites will have a peak parking demand higher than this average, and the required parking supply may be inadequate.59

To be safe in the case of a hotel, why not require 0.68 spaces per room, the highest demand observed? Maybe 0.75 spaces per room would appear less arbitrary. One space per room also seems plausible. PAS reports eight cities’ parking requirements for hotels: two cities require 0.75 spaces per room, two require 0.9 spaces per room, and four require 1 space per room. When they set parking requirements, planners appear to take the arbitrary and uncertain estimate of the maximum parking demand and then revise it upward to set the minimum parking requirement.

[...]

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hubbert posted:

here's some fun reading that i've carefully excerpted from the best book on this topic :shobon:

it's a 750 page tome but it's probably the best critical perspective on north american parking and land use available

Donald Shoup is the mad prophet of the urbanist movement, and has been right about this poo poo for decades.

I want to read this book someday, but it is loving intimidating.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat Shoup ftw. My library doesn't have his parking bible sadly but it does have both of Charles Marohn's books

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hubbert posted:

This is a lot of what the climate town video cites.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
THCoFP is not a compelling read. You're better off just reading summaries and write-ups of it and, if you need it for your work, having a copy on the shelf with the dollar amounts bookmarked for easy use when engaging with people who might be convinced by the numbers.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
i can't believe you don't support the leftist approach of screaming "READ THEORY" while palm-slamming down a massive academic tome in front of your victims with the expectation they read it front to back smh

DaysBefore posted:

drat Shoup ftw. My library doesn't have his parking bible sadly but it does have both of Charles Marohn's books

i liked his Confessions book more than his first piece :shobon:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Maed posted:

time for some vigilante bollards, the best kind of bollards

passive aggressive bollards are also a good genre of bollard.

https://twitter.com/JCBelfast/status/1681626892082769920?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Horace posted:

that's awesome

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Horace posted:

Nice.

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.

Horace posted:

I took a college class once where another student casually told the story of how he went to his ex's house in the middle of the night and cemented in a pole behind her parked car. Glad to hear that he's on a public council or whatever now

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
its been carnage lately in Puget sound and Seattle area lately, the corpses will keep pilling up until the entire state is paved

Apr 7, 2003

aaahhghghhlhglhg

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Horace posted:

"couple's new driveway unusable" is an interesting spin on "couple thwarted after destroying their own front yard and creating a non-compliant hazard for people on the sidewalk"

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQF7FDeUePA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the bumpy curb cut for the blind? oh thats just my new driveway bitch

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

the bumpy curb cut for the blind? oh thats just my new driveway bitch
Public infrastructure is for drivers, and only drivers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
2016: Donald Trump

2023: Donald Shoup

SHOUP!
*click*

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

it looks like they installed some sort of speed camera or red light camera in the intersection outside my apartment. so far its probably made about 20k its basically a strobe light lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hubbert posted:

i can't believe you don't support the leftist approach of screaming "READ THEORY" while palm-slamming down a massive academic tome in front of your victims with the expectation they read it front to back smh

Telling people to read theory is praxis

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CW: cyclist seems okay, but is violently driven into for some perceived sleight:

https://twitter.com/alexchaealex/status/1681758655702614016?s=46&t=IHGiP0BxsMUqB_wBkrqGQw

poo poo-for-brain reply:

https://twitter.com/66Stang/status/1681776644975894529

Longer video clip showing "the preceding 10 seconds" (mostly an extra minute of slow traffic):

https://twitter.com/andrewe/status/1681858535540310016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

teethgrinder posted:

CW: cyclist seems okay, but is violently driven into for some perceived sleight:

https://twitter.com/alexchaealex/status/1681758655702614016?s=46&t=IHGiP0BxsMUqB_wBkrqGQw

poo poo-for-brain reply:

Longer video clip showing "the preceding 10 seconds" (mostly an extra minute of slow traffic):

Alright but what about the ten seconds before that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the driver was donating to strong towns on the phone while driving. a sad irony

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

poo poo-for-brain reply:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

look just bike with a spike strip dragging behind you on chains so they have to go around
its called adaptation.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Real hurthling! posted:

look just bike with a spike strip dragging behind you on chains so they have to go around
its called adaptation.

i actually only propel forward anymore from the recoil of my rearward suppressing fire

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
that might only work for us rollerskaters though

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

i actually only propel forward anymore from the recoil of my rearward suppressing fire

genius.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus, how is he not dead? it looks like his head got run over

Apr 7, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

poo poo-for-brain reply:

I've seen other similar clips and the answer is that drivers get incredibly pissed off when cyclists move faster than they do through traffic. That's it. All it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JUf7rldXw

This assault happened because the cyclist passed the jeep driver at a red light.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

jesus, how is he not dead? it looks like his head got run over

I think the car was low enough that he got pushed forward instead of run over.

If it had been a truck, he would have been crushed.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

semi-automatic transmission

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
what is the thread stance on drunk biking?

i assume most people have had one experience where they thought they were good to drive a few hours after a drink or two, then half a mile down the road realized they were wrong. everything about it feels awful.

drunk biking on quiet roads is like the complete opposite in my experience, it feels loving great. i bike to bars mostly for the fun of biking home after. i'm talking buzzed here; too drunk to drive but just fine for 15 mph.

imo common sense serves you well - don't endanger pedestrians or ride in a way that makes drivers even worse. i just wonder how many people take the same zero tolerance policy they would in a car

e: also a big fan of open carry biking, but never together obviously

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

orion project gun bicycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

go for a stroll posted:

what is the thread stance on drunk biking?

i assume most people have had one experience where they thought they were good to drive a few hours after a drink or two, then half a mile down the road realized they were wrong. everything about it feels awful.

drunk biking on quiet roads is like the complete opposite in my experience, it feels loving great. i bike to bars mostly for the fun of biking home after. i'm talking buzzed here; too drunk to drive but just fine for 15 mph.

imo common sense serves you well - don't endanger pedestrians or ride in a way that makes drivers even worse. i just wonder how many people take the same zero tolerance policy they would in a car

e: also a big fan of open carry biking, but never together obviously
I don't think it's a great idea, but in the grand scheme of things, as far as potential dangers to other people, it's probably less damaging than being a smoker, though getting yourself hit or severely hurting yourself in front of someone else can be pretty traumatizing, which is lovely.

But it isn't anywhere close to drunk driving, not by several orders of magnitude. It's a kind of lovely thing to do.