Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i tried to play NS2 again recently, but everyone on my team got mad at me and yelled when i was slightly out of position or didnt react within 2 secs of an enemy push

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

The correct approach is to have communication be a part of it but you can only select from a list of possible messages. This could be on a wheel in combat, and for anything outside of combat like outfit recruitment or organizing it can be a more expansive Souls-like system. A well designed multiplayer game shouldn't have boxes for text input after the password.

Was Gundam Evolution the one where it feels like you're just a regular guy in a dumb suit because they just used bog standard shooter maps and told everybody to theater of the mind that these walls and ramps and boxes are like 10x bigger than they'd normally be?

the souls system of everything being But Hole? lmao what the hell.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

if you play battle bit but have not hosed with a drone it's extremely cool to just chill and watch the battle.

I'll try it out. never did it before.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

if you play battle bit but have not hosed with a drone it's extremely cool to just chill and watch the battle. unfortunately you will get gently caress all points for spotting. but it's fun to chase groups around and pretend you're a bomb drone but never bomb them. that causes irl tick damage from stress

i used to do this a bunch in Battlefield games when i got too stressed and just wanted to smoke and laugh at my dipshit teammates

lotta fun, got to see some wildly dumb ppl but also some really cool rambo poo poo where one guy takes on a tank and 3 guys and still wins

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i used to do this a bunch in Battlefield games when i got too stressed and just wanted to smoke and laugh at my dipshit teammates

lotta fun, got to see some wildly dumb ppl but also some really cool rambo poo poo where one guy takes on a tank and 3 guys and still wins

you were playing metal gear solid

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

:doh:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Lpzie posted:

I'll try it out. never did it before.

it is cool. drones are majestic. thye should never have weapons put on them.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

going on land the first time in Subnautica was cool because it came out of left field and felt like something special. then you get through that segment and you think “wow that sucked rear end glad I won’t have to go back there again”

feel sad every time i realize how many people played subnautica and probably never hosed around with prawn suit dual grapples enoug to realize you can be spiderman and fly around the map like a surf map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nY1ts_Qvqg

this is peak subnautica and so many people probably never got to do it :smith:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you're making a crafting game and you don't put in a thing that autopulls materials from chests gently caress you. If you're worried for balance reasons make it a character upgrade you get about 30% of the way through the game. Having to craft something and needing to run between your item storage places to do it is a war crime. Looking at you Subnautica!!!!

quote="Cuttlefush" post="533332685"]

feel sad every time i realize how many people played subnautica and probably never hosed around with prawn suit dual grapples enoug to realize you can be spiderman and fly around the map like a surf map

[/quote]

I did this and it ruled, I didn't even bother building the cyclops. I was in for a rude surprise at the end of the game when I needed to build the loving thing to get an upgrade off the upgrade station on the ship for the rocket

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just install an aimbot

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Xaris posted:

one of my favorite random bugs is there was a slot 31 (32?) bug where the player in slot 31 had a lagging hitbox super far behind their model. no one believed it and was always hand-waved away as "git gud" but then oops it was a real thing. if you got to play skulk as slot 31 it was magical because you were almost invincible and could take out even the best players. the only time it was ever fun to play alien otherwise i was always a dirty marine stacker, i refused to play alien

Playing as the aliens ruled because when you dropped out of a vent and got a headshot on someone, sometimes all the marines would panic and scatter. Being the gorge was also a lot of fun because the gorges were very cute and you'd frequently be cooperating with another gorge so you're both just waddling around fatly spitting on things

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

skulk all day every day, love setting up ambushes and munchin on some oblivious marine scum

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

can you use the drones in battebit to prox chat with enemies?

would fuckin own flyin around being a mobile poo poo-talking robot

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

unfortunately no but that would own.

also I played NS2 on and off and enjoyed it but after awhile all the players left except a bunch of German guys with like 10,000 hours and they’re very exacting about how they expect the game to be played and get super mad if you like take a jet pack or aren’t building effectively or are just playing in a fashion they deem substandard. seems to be only Germans though I probably can’t tell the Dutch or Danish accents apart enough to say it’s at least all weird Northern Europeans and Scandinavians

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

no you can only make the WHIRRRRR which is now associated with imminent C4ing. you can just zoom around chasing dudes all over with the noise because they usually wont turn to look at it. also the noise is so loud you can just buzz enemy buildings or above them in tunnels and rest assured that you have spooked them.

psychological battlespace control

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

disappointing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Except if they are wildly successful like eso, wow, ff14, fortnite, or apex

i'm a brokebrain who likes online games and i only started trying them out ~2 years after launch, if they're still alive and review real well, it works great

when you start you have like 200 hours of content in front of you from the base game and all the patches, and then it's just about time for the first expansion lol

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

goddamn that is cool and I definitely never did it

there was an fps whose whole thing was this, what was the name of that game? I think you played as a robot spider or something

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

erosion posted:

fix your sig layout please, it's all lovely

tia

lol working as intended

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

last time I used voice chat I was using an insanely sensitive field recording mic setup so everybody could hear every tiny little sound in my apartment. open mic, chow down on chips, watch everybody freak out lol

One time I was playing War Zone with 3 friends and my mic turned on for some reason (I normally use push to talk) when I was getting super mad about the game running like poo poo*. So it sounded like I just suddenly went "god dammit, loving piece of poo poo." One guy goes "uhh, everything okay there." Very embarrassing.

* this was seemingly addressed when they changed to the new map a while back, which I think also involved changing the engine or something, but before that the game ran like complete poo poo despite my PC being good. Constant stuttering and drops to like 10fps, it was downright unplayable

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Buddykins posted:

lol working as intended

I don't get this

it seems very weird

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

I don't get this

it seems very weird

hes a low IQ idiot that only has good looks and even those are fading fast.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ytlaya posted:

One time I was playing War Zone with 3 friends and my mic turned on for some reason (I normally use push to talk) when I was getting super mad about the game running like poo poo*. So it sounded like I just suddenly went "god dammit, loving piece of poo poo." One guy goes "uhh, everything okay there." Very embarrassing.

* this was seemingly addressed when they changed to the new map a while back, which I think also involved changing the engine or something, but before that the game ran like complete poo poo despite my PC being good. Constant stuttering and drops to like 10fps, it was downright unplayable

MW19 would CTD all the time until I upgraded my processor from a 2011 Sandy Bridge to Ryzen 3600.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Lpzie posted:

hes a low IQ idiot that only has good looks and even those are fading fast.

my former posting pal turned posting enemy Lpzie is right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

skooma512 posted:

MW19 would CTD all the time until I upgraded my processor from a 2011 Sandy Bridge to Ryzen 3600.

It was probably some sort of CPU thing (since it resembles other CPU-related issues I've had, like the one below), though I never figured out what. I think I had a 8600k at the time.

I had similar issues with Persona 5 Strikers on PC recently (though with my current 12th generation intel CPU), but was able to address that using Project Lasso. I don't know what less "savvy" people would do, since it was basically unplayable until I used Project Lasso to disable and then reenable hyperthreading (no idea why this made a difference, but I found it online and it worked perfectly). Before the fix there was constant heavy stuttering, where it would flat-out freeze up for several seconds at a time when doing things like accessing menus. Doing the aforementioned Project Lasso fix instantly made it run perfectly at a smooth 120fps (I use some mod that lets it run at 120, normally it's capped at 60 - the stuttering happened regardless of whether I used the mod though, so it wasn't the cause).

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Ytlaya posted:

people getting heated on voice chat is part and parcel. i miss it sometimes!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GTA6 is going to change the world

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I never feel more alienated from the mainstream than when I see how many people buy GTA games.

Hey kids? Wanna play a 150 hour long Scorsese movie penned by a bunch of West Coast techie dullards with room temperature iqs? Do you crave mediocre car races and barely serviceable third person shooting action? WELL I HAVE THE GAME FOR YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

GTA owns, sorry loser and hater

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
Meanwhile I am sipping matcha (tea) and eating from my pinku bento (pink lunch box) in my yukata (bathrobe) while playing Yakuza (gangster) games like an adult :smug:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

GTA on the ps2 was an insane mind bending experience walking around the beautiful detailed world with all of its amazing touches and while that feeling will never be reproduced in the same way it was in the transition to that era I think the more recent GTA games still retain enough leftover novelty to be fun enough to play for fifty or so hours and never beat

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I get the appeal of GTA but I found the experience to usually be annoying. Vice City was easily the best

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gumball Gumption posted:

I get the appeal of GTA but I found the experience to usually be annoying. Vice City was easily the best

theyre going back to vice city but not the fun 80s vice city the boring modern day miami

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

70s Detroit gta or bust

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Al! posted:

theyre going back to vice city but not the fun 80s vice city the boring modern day miami

probably their last chance for obvious reasons

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
gta games are for causing as much destruction as possible before u get arrested or killed

nothing more nothing less

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Al! posted:

the boring modern day miami

Running over several pedestrians = one star

Expressing support for Cuba = two stars, shoot on sight

Putting a dress on your male pc = five stars, SWAT helicopters and tanks en route

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

a small indie team will do GTA but fully destructible environment and sell x10000 what gta6 does.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frog Act posted:

GTA on the ps2 was an insane mind bending experience walking around the beautiful detailed world with all of its amazing touches and while that feeling will never be reproduced in the same way it was in the transition to that era I think the more recent GTA games still retain enough leftover novelty to be fun enough to play for fifty or so hours and never beat

As a kid (pre-PS2) I remember thinking that the coolest thing in the world conceptually was the idea of "free flight" in a video game. I thought it was completely amazing when you could fly around when turning into the bee in Banjo Kazooie. The first time I played X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter on my family's new computer was also completely amazing to me for the same reason.

This is only slightly related, but thinking of the N64 reminded me of one of my favorite and most-played games on it - Diddy Kong Racing. I remember thinking it was *way* better than Mario Kart (and I was correct to think this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

As a kid (pre-PS2) I remember thinking that the coolest thing in the world conceptually was the idea of "free flight" in a video game. I thought it was completely amazing when you could fly around when turning into the bee in Banjo Kazooie. The first time I played X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter on my family's new computer was also completely amazing to me for the same reason.

This is only slightly related, but thinking of the N64 reminded me of one of my favorite and most-played games on it - Diddy Kong Racing. I remember thinking it was *way* better than Mario Kart (and I was correct to think this).

:same: and in many ways GTA3 dialed up that X-Wing on a beige Mac being insanely impressive feeling of innovation to a thousand. it’s kinda sad to think that particular kind of fundamental transition to a more open or powerful medium is unlikely to happen again, VR was the last frontier and it’s hardly vital