Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I get the same scam email every day or two asking me to take a CVS survey from a nonsense email address

Same poo poo, different string of characters. For months now, maybe years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It may not be a scam in the traditional sense but I started blocking Temu ads on YouTube because they were all I saw when watching on mobile. They kept coming and I eventually found the reason: they have over 7,000 different ads set to advertise to everyone so you can't block them all.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ranbo das posted:

It may not be a scam in the traditional sense but I started blocking Temu ads on YouTube because they were all I saw when watching on mobile. They kept coming and I eventually found the reason: they have over 7,000 different ads set to advertise to everyone so you can't block them all.

My good friend please install New pipe and never see another YouTube ad again on your phone.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Only for Android :(

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
If you're on iOS if you use YouTube in Safari with an adblock you only get text ads, which is tolerable

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Brave browser on iOS and windows has never showed a YouTube ad for me. I cannot wrap my head around people who put up with YouTube ads.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Mobile/desktop firefox with ublock will also block youtube ads. There's really no reason to put up with them these days.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I... just pay the :10bux: to subscribe and don't see any ads. Given how much dumb stuff I view, it really does feel worth it, and I'm technically supporting channels I like?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I... just pay the :10bux: to subscribe and don't see any ads. Given how much dumb stuff I view, it really does feel worth it, and I'm technically supporting channels I like?

I VPN’d to Argentina and pay like £2 a month for premium. Used to be even cheaper via India(~70p a month), but they changed their payment verification so it needs to be a card registered in India.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just use Firefox tbh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I’m confused about this one.

It has to be a phishing scam. It’s from a ”real” phone number not a shortener like all these companies would use, and it’s included a company logo in the text, which I’ve never seen before. The location is in the same state as my area code/location, which I’m guessing they do on purpose - make it look nearby but not actually in your area, and to cement it in my gf has also received a really similar one from Venmo tonight - real phone number, location close by, company logo in the text.

But the link… is an actual Amazon shortener one? And when I clicked it, it went to actual Amazon. And my auto password filler kicked in and logged me in, and my 2FA came up (which I then didn’t follow). So… where’s the phish? All I can think of is it takes me to some product page afterwards and it’s just a lovely sales pitch?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it's an affiliate link, they get a cut of anything you buy on amazon

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! So simple, I hadn’t even considered that.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Clever.

It still boggles me that some people use the Internet without addons and router settings to shitcan ads, redirects, cookies, scripts, and referral IDs though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s like, 99% of people.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

poo poo I’m a huge nerd who is running Ubiquiti’s only home router* and I haven’t done any blocking at router level.

*Yes I know the AirRouter tops at 100mbit wired and less wireless. Counterpoint: the last time I had to think about my router was the time my kitten decided he liked cords.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I don't think that URL is "just" an affiliate link, it actually does take you to a signin page that supposedly tries to redirect you elsewhere:

redirect_uri=https://amazon-com-signin-report-id17545.dynnamn.ru/signin

goatsestretchgoals posted:

poo poo I’m a huge nerd who is running Ubiquiti’s only home router* and I haven’t done any blocking at router level.

*Yes I know the AirRouter tops at 100mbit wired and less wireless. Counterpoint: the last time I had to think about my router was the time my kitten decided he liked cords.

I need to see what sort of things modern dd-wrt offers, I've been meaning to set up a pi-hole and maybe a VPN for my phone when I'm not at home

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The plot thickens. I wasn’t aware anyone other than Amazon has access to their shortcut redirect, but maybe AWS customers do? Interesting that it was also able to convince my iPhone to pull my credentials from the Amazon.com password entry too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

I don't think that URL is "just" an affiliate link, it actually does take you to a signin page that supposedly tries to redirect you elsewhere:

redirect_uri=https://amazon-com-signin-report-id17545.dynnamn.ru/signin

I need to see what sort of things modern dd-wrt offers, I've been meaning to set up a pi-hole and maybe a VPN for my phone when I'm not at home

asus-merlinwrt is the current hotness

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Reposting this here after initially posting it in the BFC BWM thread. I honestly can't tell where it best fits.

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's some prime BWM that appeared to me on youtube recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3thYfKCL-os

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9BCJPd3xo

https://www.nextlevelexperience.com/edge

I cannot imagine being insecure enough to find this appealing, especially given that the apparent target audience is relatively wealthy and successful.

...also it looks like a cult.

Discendo Vox posted:

Interestingly, the second video includes a customer/victim who says directly, "I've been in Tony Robbins for 15 years, and it's not even close [to this]". This has a bunch of connotations. First, here's Tony Robbins, who we know is an apparently competing and prominent "life and business strategist"/"life coach"/"leadership psychologist" that this guy wants to be compared favorably to. Second, it says that these people are continuously using the "services" of the gurus over time, so, yeah, it's a sort of dependent culty relationship where the user needs the affirmation and denigration of the guru and the group.

All of this feels very similar to older framings of the after dinner speakers; Norman Vincent Peale et al, who I've been looking into lately. Stuff targeted at a different generation of (exclusively male) businessmen.

Maybe I shoulda posted this in the scam thread...can anyone tell how much these people actually charge?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Are you sedating enough?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Interestingly, the second video includes a customer/victim who says directly, "I've been in Tony Robbins for 15 years, and it's not even close [to this]".

I've heard of soaking but that's ridiculous.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Agents are GO! posted:

I've heard of soaking but that's ridiculous.
I thought the whole point of Tony Robbins (etc.) seminars was to teach and inspire you to be confident and take charge of your life, i.e. the sort of person who doesn't need to attend seminars and pep rallies to feel motivated enough to accomplish their life goals?

After fifteen years of paying for stand-on-your-own-two-feet training, maybe it's time to admit that it isn't working and it's time to try something else?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FMguru posted:

I thought the whole point of Tony Robbins (etc.) seminars was to teach and inspire you to be confident and take charge of your life, i.e. the sort of person who doesn't need to attend seminars and pep rallies to feel motivated enough to accomplish their life goals?

After fifteen years of paying for stand-on-your-own-two-feet training, maybe it's time to admit that it isn't working and it's time to try something else?

That would only happen if Tony Robbins refused to take this person's money, because they're clearly not going to stop giving it themselves.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FMguru posted:

Kind of, but it's still more about collecting money than the benefits of cognitive therapeutic thinking. It's more along the lines of MLM Think Positive Mantras that convince people to hand over their life savings than anything altruistic or meaningful. Tony Robbins is a sham.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't that the whole point of stuff like landmark forum? Really intensive retreats that make you function better?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This is a matter of limited impression for me, but I think what has developed over time to distinguish this generation of gurus and life coaches from people like Norman Vincent Peale, the "power of positive thinking" sales and after dinner and keynote speakers of past generations, is that the old business model was self-destructive because you could really only hit your audience up and "change their life" once. Peale was too big and broadly disseminated to keep selling his message; same with the guy who tried to sell an 8th habit of highly motivated people.

Tony Robbins and his ilk recognize that the longer-lasting model is to sell the image of success, and to make the target dependent on them for access to that self-image. Robbins sells a lifestyle brand; he franchises coaches to different sub-areas, he's got multi-level, uh, programs, and of course, he sells dietary supplements. All of these products are cheaply produced, borderline useless, and are sold at an insane markup because they bear his name and quotations on them, and are effectively selling his image of success. At root, the business model keeps people coming back through all the methods of manipulationthat are possible (and that can be monetized). Graduating to directly induced emotional dependence through cult-style abuse is a natural progression. Villacis is getting his targets to give him money to receive incredibly intense group sessions of denigration and ingroup affirmation; selling the need to buy more.

It's interesting- I just noticed that all the "case studies" on his site are people in real estate investment.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 24, 2023

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Discendo Vox posted:

Tony Robbins and his ilk recognize that the longer-lasting model is to sell the image of success, and to make the target dependent on them for access to that self-image. Robbins sells a lifestyle brand; he franchises coaches to different sub-areas, he's got multi-level, uh, programs, and of course, he sells dietary supplements. All of these products are cheaply produced, borderline useless, and are sold at an insane markup because they bear his name and quotations on them, and are effectively selling his image of success. At root, the business model keeps people coming back through all the methods of manipulation that are possible (and that can be monetized). Graduating to directly induced emotional dependence through cult-style abuse is a natural progression. Villacis is getting his targets to give him money to receive incredibly intense group sessions of denigration and in group affirmation; selling the need to buy more.

Sounds almost exactly like Amway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MightyJoe36 posted:

Sounds almost exactly like Amway.

:thunk:

Interesting!

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So I'm an idiot and didn't look too closely at a deal a friend posted till too late. Bought some magic cards from porklardca, which looking into it will just mail me some trash and then say they can give me a partial refund. I messaged them to cancel the order, though lol there are 3 different emails to "contact" them.

Froze that credit card, anything else I should do?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

So I'm an idiot and didn't look too closely at a deal a friend posted till too late. Bought some magic cards from porklardca, which looking into it will just mail me some trash and then say they can give me a partial refund. I messaged them to cancel the order, though lol there are 3 different emails to "contact" them.

Froze that credit card, anything else I should do?

Issue a chargeback on them? That will hit them harder than basically anything else you can do.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah, if they don't reply to me in a day I'll start a dispute.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Friend of mine is going through a nightmare right now.

She just got scammed. It was one of those things where they spoof the bank phone number and call saying there’s activity that looks to be fraudulent.

She stopped short of giving them the OTP code but prior to that she gave them last four of her social, mother’s maiden name, DOB, and her previous address (she’s now moved and hasn’t filled out a change of address card yet)

:negative:

Since all this happened, she closed the bank account in question, froze her credit with all three bureaus, put a PIN on her IRS account, and put some kind of fraud alert in effect with the three credit bureaus, which I think she says stays in effect for a year.

She also called the social security administration and I’m not really sure what they told her, other than the fact that her SSN will never change.

She also signed up for freecreditreport.com which apparently allows her to pull reports for free weekly until the end of the year.

She’s now afraid to open a new bank account and is extremely freaked out in general.

The bank, IRS, and SSA have supposedly all told her that she has done all she can do.

Should she look into some kind of subscription credit monitoring like lifelock or something, or are those also themselves scams?

Is there anything else she needs to do or think about?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

No verdict on LifeLock but under no circumstances should she install the copy of Norton AV that might come with it. Norton is a great way to turn a fast computer slow.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

She's gone above and beyond what most people would do, or need to do. Just have them keep an eye on their credit report now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

All that info they probably had already, or could find. Literally everything was breached at some point, you should not consider your SSN as private information. Similarly, life lock is a scam; don't spend any money on this whatsoever, best case they'll just pull the same credit reports you do.

Your friend really has already done all the right things, anyone else won't really help, and t mobile is still going to just port your number to anyone who sounds convincing enough on the phone.

E: breaches aren't even necessary for that info. LexisNexis will tell you A LOT if you pay them some money.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 3, 2023

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Absurd Alhazred over in the grad school thread said I should post this here so you guys can laugh at this

Hazo posted:

Hoping this is the right place for this:

I got a letter in the mail from my post-graduate university (I finished my marine science MS/PhD in 2015) announcing that I was "nominated" to join the National Society of Leadership and Success for the one-time low price of only $95!

I've never heard of the group, but as I understand it they're a for-profit honor society and membership is basically just a resume padder. Anybody familiar with it? I can shell out the hundred bucks; but is it advantageous, couldn't hurt, or is it a grift that could be detrimental because potential employers would roll their eyes at it?

I do not think I will be paying the 95 dollars

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hazo posted:

Absurd Alhazred over in the grad school thread said I should post this here so you guys can laugh at this

I do not think I will be paying the 95 dollars

Good. You should not pay the $95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You should pay me $190 instead.