Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Slotducks posted:

American healthcare is loving weird and cringe imagine paying for medical services

Well yeah it's a terrible system if you're looking for better medical outcomes, but it's a brilliant way to ensure massive wealth transfers to the wealthy with relatively little cost on their part.

You'll also see plenty of Americans who credit Obama's massive handout to insurance companies as a good thing, because in exchange for giving them everything they wanted he made them promise they'd take sick people's money too. This gift was also literally the Republican plan Americans rejected as too trash in the 90's, but somehow is the really amazing thing that Obama spent all his political capital on, so is a valid shield for why he wasn't a monster who only made the world worse and failed to deliver a single campaign promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Coolness Averted posted:

Well yeah it's a terrible system if you're looking for better medical outcomes, but it's a brilliant way to ensure massive wealth transfers to the wealthy with relatively little cost on their part.

You'll also see plenty of Americans who credit Obama's massive handout to insurance companies as a good thing, because in exchange for giving them everything they wanted he made them promise they'd take sick people's money too. This gift was also literally the Republican plan Americans rejected as too trash in the 90's, but somehow is the really amazing thing that Obama spent all his political capital on, so is a valid shield for why he wasn't a monster who only made the world worse and failed to deliver a single campaign promise.

Well that sure taught that ML girl what she gets for turning him down

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ikanreed posted:

Well that sure taught that ML girl what she gets for turning him down
between her and the ethereal bisexual he read Foucault for, we were doomed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

loving love ethereal bisexuals

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That's like 2/3 of the trans girls I know

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Actually nvm, good for her

Professor Shark has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Jul 17, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

Hillary was kind of right. once. I say this begrudgingly.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

but not really right.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Slotducks posted:

American healthcare is loving weird and cringe imagine paying for medical services

My student loan debt is as much as a small house in many areas of the US, this country sucks, I'm relying on a small inheritance in order to pay it off someday

Imagine going bankrupt because of medical debt (number 1 bankruptcy reason in the US) and having $50-$150k non dischargeable student loan debt.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

medical billing shouldn't exist

Agreed.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
I just haven't paid my medical bills in 10 years

Don't imagine they'll send anyone to collect.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Anchor Wanker posted:

what are they gonna do, break your legs

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

what are they gonna do, break your legs

https://features.propublica.org/medical-debt/when-medical-debt-collectors-decide-who-gets-arrested-coffeyville-kansas/

Welcome to Coffeyville, Kansas, where the judge has no law degree, debt collectors get a cut of the bail, and Americans are watching their lives — and liberty — disappear in the pursuit of medical debt collection.

2nd71723
Jul 18, 2023

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Welcome to Coffeyville, Kansas, where the judge has no law degree, debt collectors get a cut of the bail, and Americans are watching their lives — and liberty — disappear in the pursuit of class warfare.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also they misspelled coffee right there in the town name

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Anchor Wanker posted:

That's what I thought until they started garnishing my wages! :kstare:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That guy definitely has a house somewhere safe for when the ocean and hurricanes come

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao that state is so hosed and nobody is going to care

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Every time I think I've nailed down what they mean by "woke" they throw me a curve ball.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Coolness Averted posted:

Weirdly enough 'therapy' is not a suggested treatment for depression by Kaiser Permanente

Though they do offer free access to a mindfulness app and guided meditation app, along with a free trial of a life coach app!

When i first saw this picture, I thought, ok, no therapy, they're going to send everybody to semiannual med checks with a PA. But no, meds aren't on the table either! So basically nothing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wash bucket posted:

Every time I think I've nailed down what they mean by "woke" they throw me a curve ball.

I've been doing a lot of reading about the lead-up to WWII lately and basically you can replace woke with "jewish / bolshevist" and it's the same thing just 100 years later

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

wash bucket posted:

woke just means "new facts" now.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Centrist Dad posted:

When i first saw this picture, I thought, ok, no therapy, they're going to send everybody to semiannual med checks with a PA. But no, meds aren't on the table either! So basically nothing.

A solid 70% of depression support materials are "just don't be depressed" or "just do these things (that get infinitely harder if you're depressed".

The remaining 30% is "have you tried not being poor and spending a shitload on drugs and therapy"

Luckily I'm sure constantly increasing rates of mental illness don't have any bad repercussions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A democracy wouldn't have a thing called GOD drat "Kaiser Permanente" which, coincidentally, is Mitt Romney's current Twitler handle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

tokin opposition posted:

A solid 70% of depression support materials are "just don't be depressed" or "just do these things (that get infinitely harder if you're depressed".

The remaining 30% is "have you tried not being poor and spending a shitload on drugs and therapy"

Luckily I'm sure constantly increasing rates of mental illness don't have any bad repercussions.

I got an ADHD diagnoses and my PCP was like "ok sure but if I prescribe you amphetamines it might help... but amphetamines will help anyone concentrate."

and I'm like "ok meth me up my man"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Funny enough there was only 1 mandatory question on KP's depression screening program a more professionally phrased "Are you a pill head trying to scam your fix from us?"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
imo the most feasible path to universal healthcare in the US is to let KP grow and then nationalize it in a single action

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

imo the most feasible path to universal healthcare in the US is to let KP grow and then nationalize it in a single action

The Catholic Church will gobble them up, first.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Milo and POTUS posted:

lmao that state is so hosed and nobody is going to care

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

wash bucket posted:

i think this is why my dad called me to ask me to explain woke was, which i did but had to add them addendum that right-wing nutjobs like to just use it as a snarl word for anything and everything

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

woke is the store not having the gin that’s on sale (happened this week to me) :mad:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Coolness Averted posted:

Funny enough there was only 1 mandatory question on KP's depression screening program a more professionally phrased "Are you a pill head trying to scam your fix from us?"

Wait hold on what kind of pills can you get from them, so I can avoid those.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

that all works quite well if your baseline is changing, say from medicine

oh look, they didn’t provide you any material that actually requires a medical professional!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
A crazy part about american insurance policies is how good the good ones are, like a public employee with access to a good plan just has functional healthcare for them/their family. I work in a blue collar industry and my access sucks, my boss is going through a nightmare with some awful stuff with his wife, huge deductibles, limited coverage, fighting with insurance reps and having to take her to hospitals in more major cities hours away rather than the good ones we have here. Meanwhile my wife just has a good plan through her uni work that even with the penalty of me having "access to insurance through work" is cheaper to have me on than our cheapest garbage plan and we've gone through some bankruptcy for average americans level treatments that are just covered with no fuss with our local providers. The discrepancy just highlights how awful the for profit system is and how obvious it should be for everyone to be on state/fed plans for the benefit of everyone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PoundSand posted:

A crazy part about american insurance policies is how good the good ones are, like a public employee with access to a good plan just has functional healthcare for them/their family. I work in a blue collar industry and my access sucks, my boss is going through a nightmare with some awful stuff with his wife, huge deductibles, limited coverage, fighting with insurance reps and having to take her to hospitals in more major cities hours away rather than the good ones we have here. Meanwhile my wife just has a good plan through her uni work that even with the penalty of me having "access to insurance through work" is cheaper to have me on than our cheapest garbage plan and we've gone through some bankruptcy for average americans level treatments that are just covered with no fuss with our local providers. The discrepancy just highlights how awful the for profit system is and how obvious it should be for everyone to be on state/fed plans for the benefit of everyone.

protip: work for a multinational. I work for a Canadian company and the HR team that helped with onboarding was in France.

I am on a “high deductible health plan” that has a max OOP less than than the deductible on my last company’s “normal” health plan

I’m just imagining a French person choosing US benefit tiers… “wow, $1500 after premiums? that’s ridiculous!”

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Jul 21, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just got a job at a private company after leaving a state job at a university because I got laid off and my insurance withholding from my paychecks has literally tripled for coverage that is ever so slightly worse, like a dollar and a percent more for every base price for a service. the most frustrating part is the company is based in CA so I can see the special plans only available there - and also one in Hawaii - that are 1/3rd the price of the only one available to me and with better coverage. and this job is technically fairly generous next to other jobs in more profit oriented industries, their other benefits like retirement and stuff are about the same or better than the state.

it’s hard to overstate how much better working life in the United States would be if our healthcare and thus solvency wasn’t just contingent on employment but also full of countless subtle gently caress you Byzantine distinctions on top of that basic rule of horrible coercion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I work in medical billing

:thermidor:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Frog Act posted:

it’s hard to overstate how much better working life in the United States would be if our healthcare and thus solvency wasn’t just contingent on employment but also full of countless subtle gently caress you Byzantine distinctions on top of that basic rule of horrible coercion

all that freedom must make up for it though, surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weatherman posted:

all that freedom must make up for it though, surely

- freedom for dinner again? rats!
- no honey rat is too expensive