Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, train-hopping has been around as long as trains. But it’s also been killing and injuring people the whole time. One friend of mine has permanent spinal damage and has to walk with forearm crutches because he misjudged the jump off of a train during his crust punk rail-hopping days. It’s extremely dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR5jwxJcEGc&t=994s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CzarChasm posted:

This just triggered a long repressed memory of an early summer job. My next door neighbor's college age son worked in some capacity at the nearby racetrack the next town over. Good kid, nice guy. I was maybe 12 or 13, and always looking for ways to earn a little cash. He mentioned that he could probably get me and my best friend jobs cleaning up/pulling weeds and doing basic outdoor grunt work. Nothing too taxing, but stuff kids growing up in the boonies could handle. $5 an hour, which I think was a bit above minimum wage. This was all going to be paid in cash, under the table because of course. What better way to exploit youth.

So the two of us get dropped off at the track, and fill up a couple big water bottles and get to it. There's the track, get weeding. It's early summer, May in Wisconsin, so not super hot, but very warm and sunny. Water is cool enough, and plentiful, and we were kind of dumb so when we were too hot we'd splash each other with some water and cool off. However, we did not plan for as much sun as we encountered and didn't properly sunblock, so we got pretty burned up. Dumb, but whatever. We're kids, but pretty well motivated and we managed to get the weeding job taken care of in about 5 hours, which was also agreed upon ahead of schedule.

We head up to the main office, and meet with the race track boss. I think our ride, friend's mom had shown up at this time and went with us. I'm probably misremembering but I seem to recall him looking and sounding like a fat Sam Elliot. We hadn't met before, but he had (apparently) agreed with the $5/hour pay. We were also directed to see him directly for payment, not Debbie in HR or my neighbor or anyone else. So us being dumb-ish kids we talk a bit and he basically goes "So, what did we agree to? $5 an hour?" And we nod along, and say, yup, that's right. He goes, "OK, 5 hours, at $5, that's $25 each." Yup, uh-huh. Keep nodding. "Ok boys here you go." And he reaches into his wallet and pulls out a $50. Cool. Didn't seem too off put by having to give some kids $50 in cash. And before he hands it over, he pulls it back and goes "oh, wait." He then proceeds to tear the bill in half and gave one to me the other to my friend and basically ended it with "There you go." He may or may not have added "Pardner"

We're stunned and probably slack jawed. It felt like all the other adults minus mom had huge smiles all around. Right about then my friend's mom is better able to read the room than we are, and just gets us out of there. She manages to make a detour to the closest bank, and with what was way more haggling with a teller than I thought would have been necessary, gets the $50 broken down into smaller bills.

I learned my lesson that day and never went back to work for that rear end in a top hat. My friend on the other hand kept working there over the summer. This was the first in what I would later recognize was a long, long list of poor decisions on his part.

A couple of guys I was in high school with had something like that happen with a $100 bill to them at a motor speedway, also in Wisconsin coincidentally. They were farm boys that both played freshman football and beat the poo poo out of the owner and three others. There was a long discussion at the County Sheriff's Office which boiled down to, Gee Hank, I guess you hosed around and found out, didn't you? The guys were put on community service for six months but when I asked Jeff about it later, he said it was so loving worth it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
How was I to know that putting 9000 pounds of pressurized aerosol cans into a dumpster would create a bomb? Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

https://www.nj.com/union/2023/07/nj-warehouse-owner-charged-with-creating-fatal-firebomb-by-trashing-aerosol-cans.html

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rrmjo2Bzwh1tki7xk.mp4

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

no one seemed to catch on to how insane this is

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I didn't notice he wiggles it Wtf

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Sex symbols were made different in the 50s.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

It's up there with the 'twelve vice grip strut remover' picture. It's stupid, it works, and if you're lucky it'll just break some*thing* instead of some*one*.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nice of them to get a frame from when they still had all the fingers on that hand.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/KWE03BU.mp4

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Who needs eye protection when you have 600 eyes and only live for a few days anyway?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

canyoneer posted:

Who needs eye protection when you have 600 eyes and only live for a few days anyway?

we can't keep living in fear! lasers are endemic!

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

what is the use for this thing they created, which from the little i understand is basically a bomb?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

thehandtruck posted:

what is the use for this thing they created, which from the little i understand is basically a bomb?

Looks like they used a floor jack to compress the giant fuckoff spring that supports your car. It isn't a bomb, it is a missile that will fire in a random direction.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nomad2020 posted:

Looks like they used a floor jack to compress the giant fuckoff spring that supports your car. It isn't a bomb, it is a missile that will fire in a random direction.

then they loving wiggle it

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It really depends on just how much tension it's under. If it is compressed any significant amount, it's a goddamn bomb. If it's just compressed enough to hold it in position so it can be wiggled for a video, then it's just stupid.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Yeah the top bolt is still on it seems so there is no real danger... yet.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Taeke posted:

Flying more like lol

Car was deflected by that strong house.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/O42RKXv.mp4

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
like a glove!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone post the pic of the car suspension spring held compressed haphazardly by a bunch of monkey wrenches, that one's worse.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

That seems more difficult than just building the wall correctly

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone post the pic of the car suspension spring held compressed haphazardly by a bunch of monkey wrenches, that one's worse.
no no, the zip ties one! post the zip ties one!!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a thousand little nylon strips make light work

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Several times now i've had wasps (or some random big stingy poo poo) fly directly into my tig torch while i'm welding.
Not sure why big stingy things are so attracted to tig welding, but but it leaves some nasty inclusions.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Inspection failed. Reason: presence of Lepidoptera sp. carapace in weld

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/ZkR4Ldw.mp4

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

PurpleXVI posted:

A "classic" way to exploit your teenage workers is to tell them what a good job they're doing, and then offer them a "management" position where they're paid a salary rather than an hourly wage. Due to a combination of their feeling appreciated, and like they have a responsibility, you can make them work way more than a standard work week, but because they're salaried, you won't actually be paying them any more. Just work them hard until they break down from stress and then repeat with the next one.

I'm in IT, but this is my current situation, minus the management bit. Used to get overtime man. Thanks to the last CEO, not anymore.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

thehandtruck posted:

Before my time at a shop I worked at a guy didn't have the spring set correctly in the spring compressor it launched when he was putting the new shock into it, it cut open his abdomen and he bled out to death before emts arrived. poo poo is no loving joke. Most guys will hook a chain to the spring and tie it to the compressor which is wall mounted to avoid such things.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Goddamn do I love videos of awful masonry.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kenning posted:

Goddamn do I love videos of awful masonry.

Unexpected OSHA/conspiracy thread crossover

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I'm in IT, but this is my current situation, minus the management bit. Used to get overtime man. Thanks to the last CEO, not anymore.

You should check your state labor laws, because your job might not qualify as Exempt even if your employer claims it is.

For example, in Michigan, IT people are not Exempt unless you're a supervisor.

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 21, 2023

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

Unexpected OSHA/conspiracy thread crossover

:golfclap:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

chrisgt posted:

Several times now i've had wasps (or some random big stingy poo poo) fly directly into my tig torch while i'm welding.
Not sure why big stingy things are so attracted to tig welding, but but it leaves some nasty inclusions.

Wasps and bees can see into UV wavelengths, might have something to do with it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hornets? In my cockpit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf1JWjDVIWs

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

You should check your state labor laws, because your job might not qualify as Exempt even if your employer claims it is.

For example, in Michigan, IT people are not Exempt unless you're a supervisor.

Yea, wage theft is the single largest theft in the country and this is one of the big ways they do it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tezer posted:

These are the ones I typically recommend, they're tall so they can be levered off the wall cleanly and the coating reduces the chance that the wall gets marked up:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D8APC-BLK

Wrap it in a microfiber cloth and tie it off with a zip tie. Now there’s a zero chance of it marking anything, and it has a handle.

Stores neatly on the wall.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/Ocfd46x.mp4

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Radio Paranoia posted:

Underground gas pipe explosion in downtown Johannesburg this morning. Remarkably only 1 fatality.

https://i.imgur.com/xS2bzlv.mp4

It’s just a jump to the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/P6QoOn9.mp4