Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think one advantage this version of Superman has is that his super-speed can make his transformations impossibly fast, and the world is sufficiently unfamiliar with his powerset that they don't know he can do that. He can almost be in two places at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I never saw the final seasons of the CW show It's kind of funny that Supergirl kind of has an out if Lana Luthor ever found out, just like "I'm sorry? Did I ever lie? I don't wear a mask, Kara Danvers is my real name so THAT's not fake, it's not my fault you never put the obvious clues together. I didn't think it needed saying, it was kind of obvious."

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
People being simply unable to connect Clark Kent and Superman has more to do with psychology and ideology than physicality or micro-movement superpowers. When people see Superman in the flesh, it's so inspiring it's near-supernatural, an uncontrollable rush of hope, optimism and idealism. Good exists and you're looking right at it.

But when people meet Clark Kent they don't get any of that. He's too meek, too humble, too submissive. The absence of that special feeling is immediate 100% instinctual proof to every human alive that Clark Kent has nothing in common with Superman and it bears no further consideration.

But Superman isn't real. Superman is secretly Clark Kent. Clark Kent is the genuine person, Superman is the outward facing symbol - an act to encourage and better the world. This works to Clark's advantage as far as keeping a private life goes, because in a non-insidious way he's playing to mankind's expectations, the "way of the world" as it were. True good is Clark Kent, the meek Christ-like lamb. The world's perception of good is this conquering dominant warrior, and they choose the fake. That's a moral immaturity on humanity's side, but Clark is patient among his many quiet virtues. He's ready to provide for their short-term needs, including the symbol they crave and understand, while softly suggesting a fuller future.

But these two conceptualizations of good seem to be magnetically divergent, and to suggest they are one and the same is fiercely dismissed, and perhaps even offensive (ask Lex Luthor). And so Clark Kent walks among the world, invisible in plain sight. No technology or clever look will discern his secret identity, it's only when the gentle goodness of Clark Kent is appreciated and valued on a moral fundamental level will he be truly recognized. And that doesn't happen too often... but there's still hope for mankind.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I AM GRANDO posted:

He doesn’t invite speculation about a secret identity because he doesn’t wear a mask, he’s always out doing stuff during the day, and he has a house at the south pole.

North Pole

For the longest time, I thought the Savage Land was the North Pole too, but that is Antarctica.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I was reading through a massive backlog of posts in the “Media that did not age well” thread in PYF, and this post seems relevant to the discussion at hand:

hard counter posted:

i'll never think the kent disguise is stupid again

Both these pictures are a young Drew Carey

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

I still think the funniest answer to this question was a comic where another superhero asked Superman if people ever noticed he looked like Superman when he is Clark Kent. Because Superman just looks at the guy and went "yeah, all the time. And, do you know what I say when someone points that out? I just go 'Yeah, I get that a lot.'"

"Honestly it's why I stopped wearing contacts" *winks at camera*

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I was reading through a massive backlog of posts in the “Media that did not age well” thread in PYF, and this post seems relevant to the discussion at hand:

Both these pictures are a young Drew Carey

Dolly Parton once lost a Dolly Parton look-alike contest to a drag queen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Junpei posted:

Knowing Dolly Parton, I assume she was delighted.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Captain Oblivious posted:

Knowing Dolly Parton, I assume she was delighted.

She was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not surprising, people's idea of what a famous person 'looks' like is based on what has been shown to them rather than actually being familiar with the person. Someone dressing up to look like Dolly Parton is actively trying to be recognisable and going all out, while Dolly Parton is just out and about doing her thing and happens to be Dolly Parton.

Secret identities are something that a lot of adaptations downplayed or quietly dropped after years of works kinda overdoing them as plot elements, especially the MCU. With a handful of exceptions like Batman, Superman and Spider-man, since those identities are so key to the characters. And even then there's the frequent theme that if you know both identities closely enough, chances are you'll figure it out sooner or later, which is the big difference from Silver Age Superman where they went to ridiculous plot lengths involving how no one can know Superman's secret identity... even if they're married to him.

Lex Luthor also has once figured out Clark Kent is Superman, but then didn't really bother much with it because he assumes it's just a cover identity Superman probably has lots of.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Junpei posted:

Now I want Clark Kent to lose a superman look-alike contest.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Twibbit posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Netflix has apparently canceled the second live action He-Man movie

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/masters-of-the-universe-movie-dead-netflix-1235673281/

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Have there been any Superman stories that play into “the antagonist of the week wants to kill Clark Kent for being a pain in the rear end with his reporting” hijinks?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Have there been any Superman stories that play into “the antagonist of the week wants to kill Clark Kent for being a pain in the rear end with his reporting” hijinks?

I vaguely recall an animated episode where someone attacks the Daily Planet, I think because of their reporting, while Clark is there and he gets trapped with people while everyone’s going “geez where’s Superman???” and Clark’s just “uhhhhh maybe he’s uhhhhhhhhhhhh busy” until he can manage to get separated from them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Regalingualius posted:

I think I remember someone here posting about someone planting a car bomb in Clark's car that obviously doesn't work but it greatly inconveniences Clark cause now he has to come up with a plausible enough explanation to how he survived a car bomb.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, there was a story called The Death of Clark Kent which got its start because a guy named Kenny Braverman (heh) had a grudge against Clark since they were young and was sending all sorts of stuff after him and Kenny himself became the supervillain Conduit.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I remember seeing a comic where the Joker was about to his Clark in the head with a giant hammer, and there was like, 3 or 4 panels of Clark trying to think of the best way to sell this while believably surviving the blow as the hammer slowly got closer and closer.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think secret identity stories can still be plenty good even now despite how modern superheroes seem to have been drifting further and further from them. I think that may have been more of a function of the big superheroes being 50-80 years old so that it's hard for audiences to see them as a person or believe that the secret's never come out.

Although maybe the rise of social media and people giving up on personal privacy may also weaken people's sympathy for the idea of any public figures having private lives.

Twibbit posted:

I feel like it's a common gag for superheroes in costume to be judged unfavorably at costume contests. Peter Parker's gotten away with being caught dressing up as Spiderman a number of times.

Regalingualius posted:

The whole Late Mr. Kent episode in the animated series about a guy blowing up Clark because he was investigating too hard, and then Superman has to figure out how to deal with Clark being apparently dead.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The whole Late Mr. Kent episode in the animated series about a guy blowing up Clark because he was investigating too hard, and then Superman has to figure out how to deal with Clark being apparently dead.

We were just discussing that in the BSS animation thread. It's one of the best Superman: TAS episodes and has a super dark ending where the killer is sitting in a gas execution chamber after being convicted wondering how the hell Clark survived the car bomb when he realizes Clark's Superman right as they pull the lever.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Catching up on the thread, but just wanted to drop this here from the occasional Bluey discussion I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ItBzc61Cy0

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If I had a nickel for every beloved kids show starring a titular blue dog named after the color I would have two nickels which isn't a lot, but it's weird there's two of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bluey and his dad, Bandit, are Aussie Cattle Dogs known as Blue Heelers. The mom is a Red Heeler.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Can't believe Bluey was secret copaganda all along.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heelers and Kelpies are Australia's two signature dog breeds. (The character Rusty, who was originally going to be the main character, is a Kelpie)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Up until fairly recently, Superman *didn't* have a secret identity anymore. He revealed his identity to the world so everyone knew Lois was married to Superman and the now 18 year old Jon Kent was their son. This, of course, infuriated Luthor who in the meantime became a lead character in a crossover event and became like a god (its weird and dumb).

Currently the status quo has returned though as Luthor, through the unwilling assistance of Manchester Black, has now put a psychic block on the world in regards to his identity so only superheroes and Clark's family and Luthor know his identity.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qpAEB4xQlQ

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, this finally has a release date. Do we know how much if any of the original Adventure Time staff is involved with this?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Huh. I'm curious if this is like, another alt universe or if this is an origin story for the original. I'm curious because there are shots of Simon and Marceline in that trailer, specifically Simon with white eyes so he's starting to transform.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, the 1987 TMNT series is going to be rerun on Nickelodeon:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-nickelodeon-comic-con-1235675090/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Watch it quickly before it's deleted to save Warner Bros. on residual payments to its cast and crew!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

We were just discussing that in the BSS animation thread. It's one of the best Superman: TAS episodes and has a super dark ending where the killer is sitting in a gas execution chamber after being convicted wondering how the hell Clark survived the car bomb when he realizes Clark's Superman right as they pull the lever.

also the episode makes it seems like the governor of whatever state Metropolises is in just fast tracks the dirty cop's execution.

Gov : oh drat he tried to kill Clark! Kill him!
Perry : Hey Clark! Wanna write the front page article about that guy getting executed tonight?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Harley Quinn Season 4 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIznYOb2uI

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh hey, that's in a week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How is that show anyway? I haven’t actually watched it but I’m considering it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Larryb posted:

I've only seen the first two seasons but it's pretty strong. It makes clear that Harley was actually a fantastic therapist before the Joker got into her head because she did work with Poison Ivy and before they met Ivy was a total misanthrope. By the start of the series though, Ivy is able to be around humans without feeling physically ill, even managing to have a stable and cute relationship with Kiteman across the first two seasons, and she says that that was entirely because of Harley's help.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, it looks like another show focusing on quirky young adults dealing with the ennui of adult life in a quirky city. My first reaction was "aren't there like a million of these?" But I guess the peak of that was like over a decade ago, and most of the things in that kind of niche have died out, so I guess there's a bit of a void for it to fill? It very much seems like it's trying to evoke the vibe of all those things. I guess I hope it's self aware about it?

It very much does not look like it captures the feeling of the original Adventure Time, don't think I'll like what it is much either.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PhazonLink posted:

also the episode makes it seems like the governor of whatever state Metropolises is in just fast tracks the dirty cop's execution.

Gov : oh drat he tried to kill Clark! Kill him!
Perry : Hey Clark! Wanna write the front page article about that guy getting executed tonight?

There's no indication of time passed between arresting him and executing him. That said, if it really was like a real life death sentence where you're on death row for years before being put in the chair, that makes the final realization even funnier.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

First season is great. Second season meanders a bit but it pretty good. Third season's first half is kind of dogshit but quickly regains its footing for the back half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is it primarily a Batman themed comedy series or is there more to it than that?