Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

We might as well say They Live is problematic at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol i watched it recently and i forgot he just started shooting them all the second he put the glasses on. barely had a plan. just gently caress it, gonna shoot up all the aliens in the bank. it'll work out

They Live rules. also it's not at all the same because all the humans are like "what the gently caress are you doing dude" and they dont keep the heads of the aliens as trophies anywhere. and the aliens dont turn out to be pals later on. if xcom2 had the plot of they live it'd be perfect

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They live depicts the correct response to finding your society infiltrated by capitalists but sadly most of us will never have the moral courage of 'rowdy' Roddy Piper

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

lol i watched it recently and i forgot he just started shooting them all the second he put the glasses on. barely had a plan. just gently caress it, gonna shoot up all the aliens in the bank. it'll work out

They Live rules. also it's not at all the same because all the humans are like "what the gently caress are you doing dude" and they dont keep the heads of the aliens as trophies anywhere. and the aliens dont turn out to be pals later on. if xcom2 had the plot of they live it'd be perfect

Making the aliens pals in xcom cops might have been a mistake

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

They live depicts the correct response to finding your society infiltrated by capitalists but sadly most of us will never have the moral courage of 'rowdy' Roddy Piper

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KomradeX posted:

yeah the sequel makes xcom2 weird as hell. i mean i guess killing future cops is good? but they're people. so that's bad. and either way decorating your official military lounge with skulls of the people you kill is pretty fuckin liberal.

ff would anyone notice if you started mounting skulls in your office

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Minenfeld! posted:

Weird way to spell Pharaoh.

I never played those ones. The Caesar games were great though in that your patricians would instantly revert to mud huts and making GBS threads in the gutter any mishap happened to disrupt the pattern the walkers you needed for their lifestyle. it's very reminiscent of what people do today with a slight delay in an Amazon order

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'm surprised we discussed why xcom is problematic and didn't mention that your head scientist's personality seems to be a weird pastiche of Mengele

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah the sequel makes xcom2 weird as hell. i mean i guess killing future cops is good? but they're people. so that's bad. and either way decorating your official military lounge with skulls of the people you kill is pretty fuckin liberal.

ff would anyone notice if you started mounting skulls in your office

Ifnhe said they were Russian or Afghan it'd probably be fine

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'm surprised we discussed why xcom is problematic and didn't mention that your head scientist's personality seems to be a weird pastiche of Mengele

thats in the first new xcom, in xcom 2 the scientist is a burger guy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Megamissen posted:

thats in the first new xcom, in xcom 2 the scientist is a burger guy

oh yeah i forgot she is written out

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Regarde Aduck posted:

oh yeah i forgot she is written out

i vaguely remember they imply she is working with the aliens or something

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

i mean yeah that is the case. the aliens are totally evil in xcom2 even though they're humans and are fine in the next game because you uh... did the thing. they're so fine they're actually all just normal regular people. and you had their heads mounted in your lounge

The Japanese were the bad guys in WW2 and the US took skull trophies from them and showed them off. Now the US and Japan are best buds. I think there's even dialogue in the game that basically goes "You remember the past? Things were pretty hosed up back then".

KomradeX posted:

Letting you equip your alien cop pals with incendiary ammo and acid grenades also made the game feel kinda weird.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Jul 20, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i played a game of the new xcom 1 when it was released on the highest difficulty level but i didn't really care about my crew and i renamed all my soldiers after sci fi/fantasy authors and any character i named iain m banks was always killed by panicked friendly fire from a character named benedict jacka. i posted summaries of each deployment on twitter after each play session and that happened 4 or 5 times before benedict jacka the author asked me to not name characters iain m banks anymore and benedict jacka the character never panicked again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fermun posted:

i played a game of the new xcom 1 when it was released on the highest difficulty level but i didn't really care about my crew and i renamed all my soldiers after sci fi/fantasy authors and any character i named iain m banks was always killed by panicked friendly fire from a character named benedict jacka. i posted summaries of each deployment on twitter after each play session and that happened 4 or 5 times before benedict jacka the author asked me to not name characters iain m banks anymore and benedict jacka the character never panicked again

You touched the noosphere

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fermun posted:

Lol

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Megamissen posted:

i vaguely remember they imply she is working with the aliens or something

It's in the Alien Hunter DLC thing. It's a weird character thing. She does a bunch of evil stuff that could have really hosed up the planet, but there's a slight indication that she was maybe subverting things that I don't think went anywhere :shrug:. Her whole character is a weird plot thread that doesn't quite fit right.

I guess the sequel was always going to be weird because they never really get into what it was like living in the cities during XCom 2. So it's strange to just acknowledge that all the alien soldiers you were fighting probably had hopes and dreams that didn't involve getting skewered with a sword.

Tropico 2 should have been a lot more fun than it is. I like that they tried to genuinely mix up the gameplay rather than just remake it 5 times like they ended up doing. The pirate island aspect is neat because your economy is almost entirely pirate based. I think you can make a little money smuggling rum, but the economy is based on sending your pirate ship(s) out, loading up with loot and captives and hauling it back to your island. Then you make your money by watching your little pirates wander around and spend all the loot at your restaurants and gambling places...and brothels staffed with captives...which seemed hosed up even when it came out.

Ethical issues with a fully fleshed out slavery system aside, the gameplay problem came down to it being weirdly repetitive and having some really weird decisions. The biggest was that in order to build just about any good buildings you had to get an expert from a nearby colony. Which required a full mission that tied up your ship and required direct expense. So a ton of the game was spent doing things like kidnapping a cook so that you could divine the secret knowledge of a restaurant. Also it was right before they thought of making your island permanent so you wind up building the same stuff and doing mass kidnapping over and over again and it gets really old.

I think the recent Tropico's have been fun, but the camp wears really thin pretty fast and it's weird that they haven't cut out the more racist stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The genetically altered alien troops were mind controlled by the elders iirc, in that sense it's basically the same as killing Nazi soldiers - yeah they were brainwashed by their society but they still need shooting

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

the narrator guy with a chip in his head was trained to fight aliens, lost, blacked out for 20 years, and was then told he was the baddy, time to murder all the aliens

It's not the narrator, it's literally first person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Ojshd-_dA&t=182s

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i dont remember any of this from Terror from the Deep

are lobster men problematic?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i dont remember any of this from Terror from the Deep

are lobster men problematic?

Lobster appropriation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TFTD is problematic because you save the cruise ship industry

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Regarde Aduck posted:

there are a lot of games that have mengele doctor sidekicks. edf: iron rain has a doctor sidekick named doctor mengel. frankly im kind of disappointed if a doctor sidekick isn't a little mengele'd up. a game going full mengele would be pretty problematic but otherwise a german nazi doctor is just a stock character. no need to think about that

it is weird how many mengele game doctor references there are though. wtf

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

there are a lot of games that have mengele doctor sidekicks. edf: iron rain has a doctor sidekick named doctor mengel. frankly im kind of disappointed if a doctor sidekick isn't a little mengele'd up. a game going full mengele would be pretty problematic but otherwise a german nazi doctor is just a stock character. no need to think about that

How are things in the pastry corp, Nimdock?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

BearsBearsBears posted:

The Japanese were the bad guys in WW2 and the US took skull trophies from them and showed them off. Now the US and Japan are best buds. I think there's even dialogue in the game that basically goes "You remember the past? Things were pretty hosed up back then".

Letting you equip your alien cop pals with incendiary ammo and acid grenades also made the game feel kinda weird.

if xcom2 made it so that people just took skulls against technical laws because they were hosed up that'd be a different scenario. the xcom2 soldiers are unambiguously "the good guys" fighting bad guys who are also humans or sentient aliens and they are allowed and encouraged to get all the skulls they want and display them. and also eat the aliens sometimes. even though they are just like normal people

even america had the decency to try to pretend it cared about having its soldiers not put skulls everywhere and keep the war crimes down a bit. it's a very low bar and it's very funny how xcom2 just walks into it because it treats skull trophies as a totally normal thing to collect and hang up. seems like a pretty clear difference to me but im also just kinda having fun making GBS threads on xcom2. i do like xcom2 though.

KomradeX posted:

How are things in the pastry corp, Nimdock?

rip never played it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bip Roberts posted:

I never played those ones. The Caesar games were great though in that your patricians would instantly revert to mud huts and making GBS threads in the gutter any mishap happened to disrupt the pattern the walkers you needed for their lifestyle. it's very reminiscent of what people do today with a slight delay in an Amazon order

If you want to eat dragon meat you have to go out and get it yourself!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cuttlefush posted:

Keep your friends close, and possible genetic clones of Adolf Hitler closer

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
my favourite Problematic XCOM Thing is that in Enemy Unknown there were little voiced blurbs for each mission in the loading screen based on where the mission was, like Central would describe your destination as "rural France" or "the Chinese coastline". they were all pretty generic like that but one of the only African countries represented in the game, Nigeria, was always described as "deep in the Nigerian interior". since it was always how Nigeria got described it really felt like a Dark Continent thing lol

although it's still better than Firaxis' African Union in Civ Beyond Earth where one of the leader's three diplomacy lines was "A village was never ruined by trade", which came across both as orientalist and also the total opposite of how trade has historically affected Africa

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
xcum 2 is about you being terrorists.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Tankbuster posted:

xcum 2 is about you being terrorists.

you barely do any terrorism. you blow up like one statue and that radio thing. the xcom2 guys do not know how terrorism works. you're just operators

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cuttlefush posted:

you barely do any terrorism. you blow up like one statue and that radio thing. the xcom2 guys do not know how terrorism works. you're just operators

same with the guerrilla war thing, it's very underbaked

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

John Charity Spring posted:

same with the guerrilla war thing, it's very underbaked

the classic terrorist guerilla war zombie guantlet experience. i mean its fun its just... not terrorism. xcom2 needed more terrorism

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cuttlefush posted:

the classic terrorist guerilla war zombie guantlet experience. i mean its fun its just... not terrorism. xcom2 needed more terrorism

yeah everything in XCOM2 (especially War of the Chosen) is pretty fun but it just doesn't work thematically for your supposed guerrilla terrorist war. the zombie cities, the alien kings, the chosen hunting you. I mean your base is a gigantic UFO that you slowly fly around the world, it's hardly inconspicuous

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I always thought of it as more of an ISIS/brotherhood of nod situation where the aliens just can't bring their overwhelming force to bear everywhere at once

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah i just dont think the firaxis guys know what guerrilla warfare is. they thinks it's not wearing uniforms and attacking enemy strongholds but from the side. i forgive them. still fun

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

If the terror missions were reversed once in a while in XCOM 2 and you got to raid alien camps just mowing down alien civilians while ambushing their heroic alien rescuers, that would be problematic.

But then again, is turnabout fair play??? :thunk:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

palindrome posted:

If the terror missions were reversed once in a while in XCOM 2 and you got to raid alien camps just mowing down alien civilians while ambushing their heroic alien rescuers, that would be problematic.

But then again, is turnabout fair play??? :thunk:

*as the Skyranger descends into a crowded city square*

"remember, no alien"

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm just saying, let them drop their skyranger once in a while as you spring out of the 2nd story buildings unexpectedly, or assault your cool compound where you're experimenting on 1,000 alien corpses. The scenarios are fairly fun although the pod system is samey and gamey. Just flip the script and try to get your train laden with explosives through the alien blockade occasionally.

*entire team burrows into sand like chryssalids*

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

palindrome posted:

I'm just saying, let them drop their skyranger once in a while as you spring out of the 2nd story buildings unexpectedly, or assault your cool compound where you're experimenting on 1,000 alien corpses. The scenarios are fairly fun although the pod system is samey and gamey. Just flip the script and try to get your train laden with explosives through the alien blockade occasionally.

*entire team burrows into sand like chryssalids*

desert power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Dune tactics would be lit, that's a great idea.

Nope, marvel superheroes or whatever!