Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, the supposedly smart people were saying that prices had to go down when interest rates went up. That hasn't happened at all on a national level. If/when interest rates go back down that will definitely be used as justification to ratchet prices even further into the stratosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not sure it's possible right now to make anything that's not a poor financial decision, unless you bought ten years ago.

how the gently caress is the delta between the ARM and fixed that low? ARMs were like half the rate of fixed last year

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Bastard Tetris posted:

how the gently caress is the delta between the ARM and fixed that low? ARMs were like half the rate of fixed last year

banks like it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm not sure it's possible right now to make anything that's not a poor financial decision, unless you bought ten years ago.

Vomik posted:

yeah although I meant in terms of people without a lot of money trying to use all sorts of rich people financial instruments.

although what is really hosed up is houses are EVEN MORE expensive with no corresponding drop in avg home price but yet - renting with annual inflation and never being able to set it at a constant means those who can’t afford continue to get poorer.

love our vulture based economics :|
hahaha yeah its great you can either reach for the stars and take out an utterly ruinous loan or you can get slowly crushed in the rent increase juicero

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
super glad I bought a house ten years ago. jeez louise those rates are insane.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

super glad I bought a house ten years ago. jeez louise those rates are insane.

Super wish I didn't let my ex wife convince me to sell the house we bought in 2017. I had a great rate with a very low payment, and the house was about 10 years old with a lot of work done by the previous owners. It was gorgeous.

We bought a 40 year old house with foundation problems, though still with a low 2021 rate. Then she began an affair, we divorced a year ago, sold that house in June (finally), and I'm looking for a new divorced dad house near the kids' school. Hopefully I can get something I'll be in for a while. I just want stability, but in this economy, lol.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Jul 21, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
good day to learn that my area is having some of the lowest listings in time and prices jumped 5% in less than a year. houses are somehow selling a week after I see them listed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a week is an eternity. do you live on the South Pole ?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I live in upstate ny. guess I’m suppose to put in the offer on the same day but it’s kinda hard.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Jul 21, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

When rates were low ARMs had to be even lower because they could only go up. Now rates could go either way.

Apr 7, 2003

lol what the gently caress is happening in Iowa when twelve stairs you might climb a few times a week are just too many stairs for people approaching the ripe old age of 40

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all boomers still think they're middle-aged

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why did they build two stairs like that hahah

Apr 7, 2003

Iowa I guess

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
There's nothing else back there so why not. Something tells me it isn't the stairs that's the problem

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lol what the gently caress is happening in Iowa when twelve stairs you might climb a few times a week are just too many stairs for people approaching the ripe old age of 40

70 is middle aged now???

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

"Housing price not always go up?"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Yeah, the supposedly smart people were saying that prices had to go down when interest rates went up. That hasn't happened at all on a national level. If/when interest rates go back down that will definitely be used as justification to ratchet prices even further into the stratosphere.

The problem with housing prices that makes them no longer tied to the old paradigm where interest rates dictate prices by shifting purchaser behavior is that now rich people have all the money instead of just most. So they can still buy investment properties and rent them back to the proletariat.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

The problem with housing prices that makes them no longer tied to the old paradigm where interest rates dictate prices by shifting purchaser behavior is that now rich people have all the money instead of just most. So they can still buy investment properties and rent them back to the proletariat.

yeah it's this. interest rates don't matter if you have a scrooge mcduck vault to just pay cash for everything and then rent them out

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

One house I went into had a broken sewage line in the basement, the floor was soaked and the entire house smelled like poo poo top to bottom. An older person was somehow living there.

This kind of thing is unfortunately pretty common. My friend's mom had a neighbor that was living for years in a house that ended up being condemned and knocked down because of a major sewer leak and a massive mouse infestation that resulted in all the walls being filled with dead mice. Also had some major structural issues, but I bet it wouldn't have fallen down for a while.

Lots of people basically stop being able to afford or maintain their homes once they reach a point where they can't do basic cleaning and maintenance themselves. A combination of reduced income from retirement and needing to pay someone else to do every little thing means that you have zero money to deal with big poo poo and just let problems fester. Even a decade ago, every house we looked at that was owned by an older person had some major, major issues.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Related: everyone who installs solar thinks they're going to get most of the money back when they sell the house, but to buyers 95% of buyers don't give a single poo poo and value it at $0, 4% hate it and give negative value, and 1% wants someone else's installed solar system.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

This kind of thing is unfortunately pretty common. My friend's mom had a neighbor that was living for years in a house that ended up being condemned and knocked down because of a major sewer leak and a massive mouse infestation that resulted in all the walls being filled with dead mice. Also had some major structural issues, but I bet it wouldn't have fallen down for a while.

Lots of people basically stop being able to afford or maintain their homes once they reach a point where they can't do basic cleaning and maintenance themselves. A combination of reduced income from retirement and needing to pay someone else to do every little thing means that you have zero money to deal with big poo poo and just let problems fester. Even a decade ago, every house we looked at that was owned by an older person had some major, major issues.

lol I'm moving into one of these houses (as a rental) and we just discovered the whole downstairs carpet is completely soaked through with mold, which presumably includes the particle board underneath as well

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I'm gonna kick housing prices rear end

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

who wants to help me

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i'm going to kiss housing prices rear end instead

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’d look at that iowa house. those stairs are no big deal to us.

going to look at like 5 houses tomorrow and we’ll see what happens. ours just came on the market today and already have showings lined up this afternoon. hope our native plant pollinator garden in front of our house isn’t a turn off. all you have to do is pull weeds sometimes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

sonatinas posted:

I’d look at that iowa house. those stairs are no big deal to us.

going to look at like 5 houses tomorrow and we’ll see what happens. ours just came on the market today and already have showings lined up this afternoon. hope our native plant pollinator garden in front of our house isn’t a turn off. all you have to do is pull weeds sometimes.

Don't fret.

Our old home was in a (very) local patch blurb on an example to emulate from the native plant society for our state. Had a little brass plaque celebrating our work! We were worried, too. The realtor suggested after a few pre-open house showings that we cut it back a bit, make it less to manage, she could recommend a landscaper, blah blah blah.

It wasn't a mess. It was a very well-manicured northern midwest prairie garden in the front yard, slightly raised up by thatched siding instead of pine blocks of wood, It did cover about 3/4ths of the front yard, which was previously stupid lawn grass, but it was a showcase as much as a habitat. A nearby home kept bees and those bees kept happy.

The eventual buyers were ecstatic, asked for a listing of everything we planted and a quick guide on resources for how to take care of it/expand it. You'll find a buyer who loves the natural world, and they will pester you for details. It will turn off fuddy-duddies but you'll find someone who will appreciate your work.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

grass can eat poo poo, that would be a huge plus for us (if I can ever afford anything lolol)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Crusty Nutsack posted:

grass can eat poo poo, that would be a huge plus for us (if I can ever afford anything lolol)

letting clover take over our back yard has done wonders for our lawn. barely have to mow and decent with drought.

I’m a few houses I’ve been in lately they all have irrigation systems. so wasteful.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

sonatinas posted:

letting clover take over our back yard has done wonders for our lawn. barely have to mow and decent with drought.

I bought a house, front yard was covered in grass, went to jax and bought a big bag of clover seeds and now my front yard is beautiful and full of bees

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

sonatinas posted:

Clover is the best. :3: Bees and bugs love themselves some clover.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

sonatinas posted:

I’m a few houses I’ve been in lately they all have irrigation systems. so wasteful.

My dad is your typical Boomer and giddy at the thought of poisoning all the clover (along with all the frogs that live there) on my side of the property. I told him don't you dare.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

man some of y’all’s parents..

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
My lease says I have to maintain the grass, even if it's only a small strip. If not they will charge $50 per invoice to bring it to compliance.

Renting owns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you should have crossed that section out when you signed the lease

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

euphronius posted:

you should have crossed that section out when you signed the lease

They said they had multiple applications and any modification would get declined.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I truly loved the hidden $1200/yr fee via water bill so much I accidentally broke the water pipes

if you are really nice and smiley to your landlord while sabotaging their house you can sometimes even get your deposit back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cumming in the sink, leftishly

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I remember renting my first house, I was like "damnit I'm tired of renting apartments, I'm renting a lovely 100 year old house, I kind of like going outside and doing yardwork." Well, it wasn't as much fun as I remembered plus there were some cool invasive plant species that were a real bitch.

I almost didn't even get to rent it because I turned in my application later than another couple. But my mom had some solid boomer advice and I went up to the owner, looked him in the eye, gestured white-ishly, and said I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR HOUSE, I WILL TAKE VERY VERY GOOD CARE OF IT. He called me 15 minutes later and was like yeah I'll just rent it to you. At the end of the 1 year lease I was done and he offered to sell it to me for $250k which was about $280k more than I had, so sorry bro. It was kind of a poo poo property all around and it merely doubled in value over the last decade+ so you know it's trash. Now there are 6 micro breweries and taprooms within walking distance instead of two. It was good times in spite of it all though, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow you had double the down payment!!