Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

[in a thread about the Sackler family] I respect hustle,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I respect Fu Xuan

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meowywitch posted:

I respect Fu Xuan

Because she'll let me drop Gepard, and also Sarah Wiedenheft is excellent

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
i feel like if youre trying to justify or explain your spending habits on the something awful forums youve already lost

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Saw the leaked Fu Xuan animations. She will be mine.

I can't decide whether I like her animations more, or Bibi's. 1.3 really power creeping the character animations.

someone awful. posted:

yeah this, i thought about buying gems but the pay-to-pull ratio is just so incredibly bad

i know the model for this kind of game is to target whales and all, but i would probably definitely have impulse-bought gems at least once if it wasn't such a hilariously bad deal.

That just means that some market research guy ran the numbers and decided that you aren't the demographic they should try to target.

My personal mantra for F2P spending is 'Do I want to support this company? If so, was it a $20 type of gaming experience? $60? $120?' While I'm not rabidly anti-gacha, I do dock a point or two out of principle.

I actually did think of putting some money down on Genshin for their sheer care, effort, and production value. I do respect that, as rich as the founders must be nowadays, they never seemed to lose sight of being gamers at heart. But in the end, I decided that Mihoyo is doing more than fine financially as a company.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm thankful that they seem to be staggering the banners I give a poo poo about with ones I couldn't care less about.

Silver Wolf (must have), then Luocha (zero interest in the physical manifestation of :geno:). Blade (edgy white boy jumpscare), then Kafka (must have). Dragon Dan (ehhh, could take or leave), then Fu Xuan (must have), if you believe the leaks.

Helps me keep my discipline re: spending. :v:

Thats a rather roundabout way of say alternating male and female 5 star character banners.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

[in a thread about the Sackler family] I respect hustle,

Me, looking at 2022 opioid death statistics: "well played Richard Sackler, well played..."

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Hahaha so I just imported my warp history out of curiosity. I had a feeling I have been kind of unlucky, though it hasn't really been a problem for me. This is worse than I thought though:

Maybe that's the real reason I'm inclined to spend all my money on Legos instead of gachas...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kale posted:

Thats a rather roundabout way of say alternating male and female 5 star character banners.

If they wanted me to get invested in the dudes they need to have compelling dudes.

Like Sampo, for instance.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

JTJaguar, I didn't mean to suggest that you could not handle your own stuff. I was probably being too Internet lovely. I think the word "caved" carries an implicit suggestion that you did not want to submit to a negative behavior. And regardless of the fact that you are able to weather it, there are a lot of people out there who when they "cave" are spending money they need to survive. So when I say "don't spend money" I am not talking to people like you. I am talking to the people are going to be influenced by stories of spending just a bit more and hitting a jackpot, and who will spend money they don't have.

People saying "support the devs" and "I tossed in twenty bucks of fun money/my entertainment budget" and "it all goes to building pity lols" are rationalizations that, when repeated, can influence people to spend more. And we know some of those influenced people are, or will become, gambling addicts. So I think it's important to talk about. I did not see people do this very much in the first couple months, but as the free jade flood petered out, and people started posting about caving in and spending when they didn't want to... I think the conversation was worth bringing up again. I don't think anyone ITT actually wants to normalize begrudgingly buying more digital anime lotto tickets

Like, we all want our posting friends to be happy, right? We can all talk about this and have a disagreement without people losing their minds. If you aren't a gambling addict, it isn't about you

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm actually kinda curious now. Are there any gacha gamers itt who have spent upwards of say, $200 in another game and are now at this point still thinking "yea, that was money well spent"?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I whaled a bit after I pulled Luocha, specifically because I was trying to pull for some 4 stars. It was to the tune of about 30 bucks, and that includes the battle pass and 3 copies of the Express Pass because I thought it would be additive. It's not.

My personal rule is that if I'm enjoying the game, I will allow myself to buy the battle pass if certain conditions are met. In the case of this game that condition is getting a light cone. I feel that's a decent amount for a weapon to make my characters better along with the other rewards it gives.

Shelling out an extra 10 or 20 on top on occasion is fine by me, because that's money I would have spent otherwise on junk food or other entertainment. There are limits though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I buy the daily jade pass because I'm having fun with the game and it's largely subsidized by google survey bux.

Nothing has compelled me to spend beyond that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

big cummers ONLY posted:

Like, we all want our posting friends to be happy, right? We can all talk about this and have a disagreement without people losing their minds. If you aren't a gambling addict, it isn't about you

i dont even think having to police people talking about spending money is needed. i just assume the vast majority of goons are baseline 30+ and at that point you should have a better grasp on your financial state and or addictive personality under control that some random person's posts on a thread shouldn't sway you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

acumen posted:

I'm actually kinda curious now. Are there any gacha gamers itt who have spent upwards of say, $200 in another game and are now at this point still thinking "yea, that was money well spent"?

One goon itt spent more than that just for e6 Seele and her light cone, but at that point it's just conspicuous consumption rather than gambling, so I assume they knew what they were doing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Futaba Anzu posted:

i dont even think having to police people talking about spending money is needed. i just assume the vast majority of goons are baseline 30+ and at that point you should have a better grasp on your financial state and or addictive personality under control that some random person's posts on a thread shouldn't sway you.

tell me you've never met a gambling addict without telling me you've never met a gambling addict

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm enjoying Blade a lot (I have a soft spot for emo boys, fuckin' fight me) so I whaled a lil and pulled 30x more on his lc banner to get up to the pity. I ended up losing the 75/25, but I got Bronya's lc which is 100% the best harmony cone, and I also got 3x A Secret Vow which is Blade's 2nd best cone so I am actually quite pleased with the result.

That puts my spending at like $120 for this game, but my account feels very strong now with Luocha, Blade, good eidolons on all the 4* I like, and I'll be able to get Kafka no problem for solid lighting damage/alternate team comps. So I feel like I can pretty much stop spending, and this game has been super fun for me at a time when I really needed a chill video game with interesting lore to sink my teeth into.

So I guess I can counter some of the gambling problem talk by saying I don't regret what I've spent, it's fun for me to indulge myself a little and I'm perfectly happy with a month of entertainment budget going into it. I think the only game I resent whaling in was MTG arena, because they promised lots of features that never came and often changed the inherent value of things I had felt I invested in. HSR makes no illusions as to what is going on and what is being provided, and I do feel like it's pretty dang friendly to f2p at the expense of the super whales. Now I might have to get lucky to get Fu Xuan, count me as one of the people swayed by those kickass animations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wait

other then purely being dan heng's dorky adventurer was chicken and legally distinct otto apocalypse just extra padding to reuse fight zones alongside the superfluous fetch quests for the main group

god drat covid did a number on development

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Futaba Anzu posted:

so, that assumption is wrong. addiction can develop after you turn 30.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Dracula Factory posted:

I do feel like it's pretty dang friendly to f2p at the expense of the super whales.

Yeah this is a big reason why I've actually stuck to this game. Despite starting late, playing fully f2p, and having comically bad luck (unluckier than 93.3% of users lol), I can still get characters thanks to the guarantee, and I can still complete all content except the back half of MoC.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

big cummers ONLY posted:

so, that assumption is wrong. addiction can develop after you turn 30.

dont really care, the core of what i meant was dont force people to fight other people's issues. i guess i have to add a disclaimer here since sa loves to operate on absolutes but of course i'm not advocating for everyone to just immediately drop all of their money into the game. this was only because the specific example was someone saying 'so i spent a little money' immediately met with a long dialogue of 'don't ever spend money'

Jabor posted:

tell me you've never met a gambling addict without telling me you've never met a gambling addict

i do lol, that's why i don't gamble

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
^^^ ah yeah, that's fair enough.

Futaba Anzu posted:

I don't see it as policing, as much as we all know how these types of monetization models work. We (and lab rats too, for that matter) are wired to get dopamine hits from pulling the lever on Skinner boxes. It's addictive and it feels good. I'd like to think that in the end, we're all looking out for each other here.

Honestly I see gambling addiction (or addiction in general) as a mental health issue, just like anxiety or depression or whatever. Sometimes life happens that puts us in a more vulnerable position. It can come for anyone, at any age.

At the same time, if they're not seeking help already, I doubt a bunch of goons going 'hey maybe you might be addicted' is going to change their minds much.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 21, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

people going 'welp, i gave in and whaled for a bit' giving themselves some self-deprecating guilt self-acknowledging it, and then getting an essay on gambling addiction is akin to someone making a light post of 'i ordered fast food on grubhubg because i really wanted a cheeseburger and fries' and someone responds seriously with dangers of unhealthy eating.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

facepalmolive posted:

I don't see it as policing, as much as we all know how these types of monetization models work. We (and lab rats too, for that matter) are wired to get dopamine hits from pulling the lever on Skinner boxes. It's addictive and it feels good. I'd like to think that in the end, we're all looking out for each other here.

Honestly I see gambling addiction (or addiction in general) as a mental health issue, just like anxiety or depression or whatever. Sometimes life happens that puts us in a more vulnerable position. It can come for anyone, at any age.

At the same time, if they're not seeking help already, I doubt a bunch of goons going 'hey maybe you might be addicted' is going to change their minds much.

i guess i came off too hard, that is true. a lot of what i meant does sort of hinge on your last point that i don't think chat on a thread should be a huge influence in that regard unless people were unironically pushing for people to gamble like silverwolf does but unironically lol

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

this was only because the specific example was someone saying 'so i spent a little money' immediately met with a long dialogue of 'don't ever spend money'

I have good news then! That person didn't say "so I spent a little money." They said they "caved" and bought more lotto tickets after they lost the lottery. Implying they didn't want to spend, but did anyway. And then said they spent more than they wanted to. Context is important. If they had said "so I spent some money" of course I wouldn't have said anything. But that's not what happened!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

big cummers ONLY posted:

I have good news then! That person didn't say "so I spent a little money." They said they "caved" and bought more lotto tickets after they lost the lottery. Implying they didn't want to spend, but did anyway. And then said they spent more than they wanted to. Context is important. If they had said "so I spent some money" of course I wouldn't have said anything. But that's not what happened!

you're way too uptight about this game, chill out. this aint your therapist's office

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

GateOfD posted:

people going 'welp, i gave in and whaled for a bit' giving themselves some self-deprecating guilt self-acknowledging it, and then getting an essay on gambling addiction is akin to someone making a light post of 'i ordered fast food on grubhubg because i really wanted a cheeseburger and fries' and someone responds seriously with dangers of unhealthy eating.

What? I had a one line response to that post. Then people started arguing about spending and I posted about that. Weird how everyone's objections are conveniently based on misremembering what actually happened on the last few pages

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I just realized that we're not going to get a Hunt MC at all. at the end of the fight Jing swear that Destruction will get the focus of the entire Xianzhou. So in a way its going to make Eiko right, as Kafka said that the power of the Hunt was going to help them in the end

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Well, after messing around with a support Blade and liking how well he plays with my Luocha, I decided to go up to the 50/50 on him. And I continue my streak (JY, Luocha, Blade) of not failing a 50/50. I also managed to avoid getting any copies of Arlan. I'm sure this will bite me in the rear end on ILDan, but what can ya do.

Now I have to do the new story mission so I can actually level him up. That's annoying as heck.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what do people do with bronya's planar relics? i've been using vonwacq but its effect where it boosts first turn by 40% kind of ruins the speed tuning on somewhat of the important first turn since bronya goes first ahead of everyone in this case. do people just deal with that being the case or what?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Futaba Anzu posted:

what do people do with bronya's planar relics? i've been using vonwacq but its effect where it boosts first turn by 40% kind of ruins the speed tuning on somewhat of the important first turn since bronya goes first ahead of everyone in this case. do people just deal with that being the case or what?

Good news, Broken Keel just dropped and it's probably her best set. She has effect res traces so she gets 10% there, and she just needs another 10 from substats to activate it. She appreciates the crit damage herself, and it's a VERY strong buff to just hang out.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 21, 2023

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Eimi posted:

Good news, Broken Keel just dropped and it's probably her best set. She has effect res traces so she gets 10% there, and she just needs another 10 from substats to activate it. She appreciates the crit damage herself, and it's a VERY strong puff to just hang out.

oh yeaa, drat going to suck replacing this err rope but i'll get on that soon

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Futaba Anzu posted:

oh yeaa, drat going to suck replacing this err rope but i'll get on that soon

Yeah I just spent a customizable relic on a fleet of the ageless err rope. :negative:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The more I use Blade the more I love him. Benched Seele for the first time and barely feel it since he does so much damage even against bosses.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How does blade do without his lightcone? Most of the destruction ones look bad for him.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Edit: whoops double post

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 21, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

How does blade do without his lightcone? Most of the destruction ones look bad for him.

you can just use the 4* A Secret Vow and it's almost* as good since his ATK doesnt matter as much

*as usual the limited 5* is still, like, 20% ahead baseline, and even more if you whale the gently caress out and go S5

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 21, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Excelzior posted:

you can just use the 4* A Secret Vow and it's almost* as good since his ATK doesnt matter as much

*as usual the limited 5* is still, like, 20% ahead baseline, and even more if you whale the gently caress out and go S5

Cool, thanks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do the bonuses from relics stack? Like if I run both bronya and Luocha with broken keel do I get both 10% bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

These new adventure quests are pretty weird. Screwing over Space PETA was a ton of fun, but grabbing a twig off a dead abomination was pretty boring. I haven't done the third yet or the new challenge quest.

Speaking of, I never got full marks on the Belobog challenges. I got 30 jades from finishing the Fragmentum quest and I can grab another 20 from the Silvermane Guard one.

67 pulls since Luocha. Hopefully I can grab Blade soon. Losing the 50/50 wouldn't be horrible since I've won 3 in a row now. The only disappointing pull would be Bailu. 2 more pulls as soon as I log in tomorrow. Maybe I can scrounge 3.

I also finally own a copy of Cruising in the Stellar Sea. It's going to be a few days before it can be S2 though.