Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I watched the DVD commentary (god I miss those) for World's Finest and I guess Tim Daly (Superman) recorded his dialogue, at least in the scenes they shared, along with Kevin Conroy and Bruce Timm said he thought working with Conroy really elevated Daly's game.

He's nowhere near as iconic as Conroy's Batman, but Daly is still the Superman voice to me. To the point I had a hard time getting into Justice League at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is there any difference between the movie and TV versions of World’s Finest besides the latter being split up into parts?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

In technically-DC animation news, I'd like to recommend Phantom 2040. Sure, I can appreciate that a 1994-96 animated series based on a fairly obscure comic character might not be instantly appealing but hear me out. It had a good budget, which combined with character designs by the same person who did Aeon Flux, it's going to look good. The voice acting talent is stellar, Margot Kidder, Ron Perlman, Pamela Adlon (Bobby from King of the Hill), Leah Remini (Carrie from The King of Queens) and a bunch more people with really solid resumes. Oh yeah, and Mark Hamill in one of his craziest roles. The show runner is probably best known for the Flash Gordon animated series, so I don't know how he managed this.

The series tag line is "In the year 2040, one hero fights to save our dying planet". A powerful megacorp is plotting to destroy the environment, withdraw into a protected enclave, and then take over once the dust settles. It's amazingly cyberpunk; cloned organs, androids on the verge of self-awareness... and over it, cops in powered armor, ongoing ecological catastrophe and breakdown of society, computer hacking in VR, AI assistants, sentient programs, and of course a megacorp bent on loving over the planet for a profit. It's also not afraid to go over the top and play it straight; if you want to hear Margot Kidder make a Ren and Stimpy reference, step right this way. The writing is actually really solid, there's some great characterizations and episode plotlines.

The whole thing is on YouTube in good quality, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgkKj2n1LjA_VzcrpMQ8l_NszGmxAA1d0

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Air Skwirl posted:

I watched the DVD commentary (god I miss those) for World's Finest and I guess Tim Daly (Superman) recorded his dialogue, at least in the scenes they shared, along with Kevin Conroy and Bruce Timm said he thought working with Conroy really elevated Daly's game.

He's nowhere near as iconic as Conroy's Batman, but Daly is still the Superman voice to me. To the point I had a hard time getting into Justice League at first.

Daly's Superman is good but I think Newbern gets the juicier material on account of Superman getting into all those hijinks in Justice League stemming from the massive chip on his shoulder from the events of Legacy

Also Newbern was Sephiroth for a long time, which I continue to be amused by, despite the role being recast to some other guy who is also Superman sometimes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Defenders of the Earth is probably not as good as Phantom 2040, but Stan Lee wrote the lyrics to the very literal theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblpob8gyzs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Harley Quinn Season 4 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIznYOb2uI

How is the show out of curiosity? I was thinking of finally checking it out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Show kicks rear end

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

It's legit funny and goofy. I had no expectations about liking it, and just watched the first couple episodes with my wife and was hooked. It's also a delightful rom-com.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WHERE'S MY ELECTRIC CAR, BRUCE?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In related news apparently the Kite Man series got renamed from "Noonans" to "Kite Man: Hell Yeah!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So it’s (Haley Quinn) primarily a comedy series featuring Batman characters then?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Holy poo poo, it's Snowflame!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

So it’s (Haley Quinn) primarily a comedy series featuring Batman characters then?

Yeah. I think the first season is kind of rough personally, but it gets better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Larryb posted:

Its a comedy about Harley deciding to break away from the Joker and become her own woman and also trying to figure out if she's a hero or a villain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Its a comedy about Harley deciding to break away from the Joker and become her own woman and also trying to figure out if she's a hero or a villain.

Works for me then

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

muscles like this! posted:

WHERE'S MY GODDAMNED ELECTRIC CAR, BRUCE?

FTFY

But seriously I use that frequently to my wife to make her laugh

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And in the latest My Adventures episode Lois has already figured out Clark’s secret and she’s not happy about it

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Larryb posted:

Harley Quinn Season 4 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIznYOb2uI

How is the show out of curiosity? I was thinking of finally checking it out

First 2 seasons really good. 3rd season lost a step.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
MAWS

This could be Lex

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

MAWS

This could be Lex

I’d say he has too much hair but then again there have been other incarnations of Lex in the past that weren’t bald

Also he looks like Seto Kaiba

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 21, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also wigs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

I’d say he has too much hair but then again there have been other incarnations of Lex in the past that weren’t bald

Also he looks like Seto Kaiba

He needs to lose his hair and blame it on Superman.

Although classically he was supposed to have bright orange hair.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Where did the whole Bald Lex trend start then?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

It looks more red in other lighting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

He was originally bald without explanation and later in the 50s his revised origin story was that he was friends with Superboy until he performed a risky experiment that Superboy had to rescue him from, and he went bald as a result and swore revenge on Superboy because of it.

Sometimes he’s balding but not there yet, like in Byrne’s Man of Steel. Gene Hackman showed the world that there could be a Luthor with hair.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I AM GRANDO posted:

He was originally bald without explanation and later in the 50s his revised origin story was that he was friends with Superboy until he performed a risky experiment that Superboy had to rescue him from, and he went bald as a result and swore revenge on Superboy because of it.

Sometimes he’s balding but not there yet, like in Byrne’s Man of Steel. Gene Hackman showed the world that there could be a Luthor with hair.

Also I believe him being bald was actually due to an artist mistaking him with Ultra humanite

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

As previously mentioned, in most versions he used to have red hair but then lost it in a lab accident. And that's where we get into the always tricky comic book problem of alternate universes and continuities. Sometimes the accident is vaguely Superman related, sometimes not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

As previously mentioned, in most versions he used to have red hair but then lost it in a lab accident. And that's where we get into the always tricky comic book problem of alternate universes and continuities. Sometimes the accident is vaguely Superman related, sometimes not.

Did STAS use the lab accident story out of curiosity? I know he was already bald when he first met Superman at least

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Luthor originally had Red Hair in his early appearances, and an artistic error made him bald which just stuck. It was guessed he was mixed up with Ultra Humanite the first supervillain who was a balding elderly man.

This is what Luthor looked like in his first two appearances.

Also fun fact, Luthor did not get his first name until 20 years after he first appeared.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 21, 2023

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Isn’t the modern explanation that he had hair and wearing a kryptonite ring over time gave him cancer, and then his hair fell out from chemo?

Imagine hating a guy so much it gives you cancer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s also the fact the new guy’s name is Alex (Luthor’s full name is Alexander Luthor) and as mentioned in another thread he’s also shown assisting in active supervillainy (and enjoying it):

Ivo usually works for him as opposed to the other way around though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 21, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it was the newspaper strip that forgot that Lex had hair first, and then Superboy put in the origin. Nothing is ever really "canon" in Superman because there's been multiple continuities from the start and the comics have had multiple big complicated multipurpose retcons, but it's a fun bit.

I hope he steals some pies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Isn’t the modern explanation that he had hair and wearing a kryptonite ring over time gave him cancer, and then his hair fell out from chemo?

Imagine hating a guy so much it gives you cancer.

Nah, he was bald before that. It gave him cancer and then he lost his hand and then he faked his death and came back in a clone body and pretended to be his own son

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

There’s also the fact the new guy’s name is Alex (Luthor’s full name is Alexander Luthor) and as mentioned in another thread he’s also shown assisting in active supervillainy (and enjoying it):

Ivo usually works for him as opposed to the other way around though

Yeah. That's Luthor. In a lot of recent continuities, Ivo has been older than Luthor. And considering the main characters are all in the early 20s, it makes sense that Luthor is working for Ivo this time.

I have to say, though. That character model just looks like they designed Lex and slapped a wig on it. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Don't forget the period in the 90's where after getting cancer from wearing a Kryptonite ring for a while he transferred his mind into a fresh clone body(that had not only a full head of hair but also a beard), let everyone think he died and in his new body pretended to be his own long lost son from Australia and was loving Supergirl* for a while

*mind you because of a policy the comics had at the time Clark was the only living Kryptonian allowed to be around so this Supergirl was instead a shapeshifter created by the Lex Luthor of an alternate pocket dimension, she later on would merge with a teenage girl and become an Angel because comics

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wish they'd have found a role for the Humanite. He deserves acknowledgement as the first true supervillain ever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

I wish they'd have found a role for the Humanite. He deserves acknowledgement as the first true supervillain ever.

Yeah outside of the DCAU using him a couple times and some Elseworlds uses like The Golden Age or Batman & Superman Generations, he pretty much only ever shows up these days for them to do cheesy brain swapping stories

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

catlord posted:

See, I saw The Batman when I was a bit too old for the toys so I only vaguely remember seeing ads for them and I have no idea how they worked. I'm curious what specifically activated them.
Ultrasonic signals in the shows broadcast, iirc.

My wife won one of the Batmobiles randomly and we had fun seeing when it activated during the shows. It added "villains" to the roster of games or activity things the led game screen thing had which was cool but stopped working once it was in syndication or rebroadcast or something.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was a weird thing to stick into a cartoon, but the episode is also all about trying to exonerate somebody else being threatened with the death penalty.
One of the really interesting things about StAS Metropolis is just how many levels there seems to be to the city. Like Gotham has tall foreboding buildings but Metropolis just has enormous skyscrapers and elevated walkway connectors and multi-layer expressways. It's a great landscape for Superman to navigate.

Re: the cartoon ending. It seems like a lot of 90s TV wanted to have a kind of twist/cliffhangery ending to make the end of an episode feel more abrupt and less closed off. Tons of the S1 episodes of Buffy have a weird twist (leftover lizard eggs in the pool, Invisible Girl classmate recruited into Evil Government X-men). And the X-files had a few episodes that didnt quite resolve. It comes back big in Batman Beyond, with really gruesome or unsettling ends to people's stories. Maybe the popularity of The Outer Limits remake having an influence?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They probably take those ultrasonic signals out for rebroadcast because they have no way of knowing whether it will mess with some piece of future technology and make the recliner crush grandpa in 2043 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FilthyImp posted:

Re: the cartoon ending. It seems like a lot of 90s TV wanted to have a kind of twist/cliffhangery ending to make the end of an episode feel more abrupt and less closed off. Tons of the S1 episodes of Buffy have a weird twist (leftover lizard eggs in the pool, Invisible Girl classmate recruited into Evil Government X-men). And the X-files had a few episodes that didnt quite resolve. It comes back big in Batman Beyond, with really gruesome or unsettling ends to people's stories. Maybe the popularity of The Outer Limits remake having an influence?

I think that was more a function of how shows were funded, never knowing whether they'd get another season. Being more episodic than serialized even if the better shows had serialized elements.