Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Mad Hamish posted:

Also, while I'm thinking of it, while I can kind of understand people thinking that the ancient Egyptians were death-obsessed merely because most common knowledge of them comes from their funerary monuments and writings, it's very funny to contrast this grim and dour mental image with a society whose festival in honour of the goddess Bast was sufficiently scandalous that Greek writers were horrified at how loose and carefree the Egyptians were.

Basically the festival of Bast involved a bunch of women boarding a party barge that travelled to Bubastis while they drank and sang and danced, and every time the boat passed through a town the ladies on board would try and cajole other women to join them on their alcoholic pilgrimage, mostly by screaming at them while flashing their tits.

'Death-obsessed society' indeed.

WHO DID THIS TO THEIR MEMORY? Was it the British?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mad Hamish posted:

It's a self-insert version of one of those dumb isekai animes where Dante gets to clown on people he thought were his enemies, and somehow people nowadays think this is what Christianity Actually Believes.

Something that might not be readily apparent is that very early Christians did not share our modern preoccupation with the afterlife, and so the Bible has surprisingly few details on what exactly happens, choosing instead to focus on the Second Coming, the resurrection of the dead, and the coming Kingdom of God, which they believed would all happen on Earth.

Because of that relative lack of concrete information, it left a lot of space for extra-biblical ideas to filter in, the whole idea of Hell as a place of conscious eternal torment being the prime example. The very word Hell doesn't come to us from the original text of the Bible but rather from Germanic paganism many centuries later, so anytime you see that, you'll want to dig into the actual word used, because Sheol, Gehenna, and Hades, the words typically translated as "Hell" don't carry any of the connotations of eternal punishment that "Hell" does.

And on the other side, we get things like Paul in 2 Corinthians talking about someone being taken up to the "third heaven". Critically, we don't have references to a first or second heaven so what exactly that means we just don't know. It's one of those verses where I would love to have a time machine to go back and ask Paul what the heck he meant by that because the whole passage is just bursting with unanswered questions.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

Basically the festival of Bast involved a bunch of women boarding a party barge that travelled to Bubastis while they drank and sang and danced, and every time the boat passed through a town the ladies on board would try and cajole other women to join them on their alcoholic pilgrimage, mostly by screaming at them while flashing their tits.

I mean, I'd be convinced

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A Bad King posted:

I feel like a lot of these religions in the west, especially the ones I've been exposed to, have cross-pollinated ideas and precepts to explain something we all feel.

What matters is that we arrive at the same place: an understanding that this something, which is all encompassing, loves us unconditionally and wants us to do that love thing toward others and would prefer we not do the opposite of that. Kind of how we all want to raise kind, generous children who do good things for others in the world we all share; and, through doing so, find their own happiness.

But it can be a very good and serious mental exercise trying to peg it all down. I want to do some work on this.

I once overheard “People aren’t always right. But right is always right.” I think if we search for it we can all sense that ineffable Truth there, just beyond our senses, but not always beyond our reach. We are all doing our best to grasp it. That’s where Faith comes in: helping you try to sense what is right, so you can make that jump.

A Bad King posted:

I understand the Victorians in particular as having had a lot to do with it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

May I just say, having parsed a connection between ma’at and the Holy Spirit last page is casting the thread title in a whole new light for me and it is giving me a smile, thank you friends.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 20, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A Bad King posted:

And the French, and the Germans.

Edit: to be fair to them, like, a LOT of the stuff in Egypt that was well-preserved was funerary monuments and the literature on those monuments. Like, the Great Pyramid was the biggest man-made thing on Earth for a long time, almost four thousand years! You can see how people would assume that the afterlife was a Big Deal to the Egyptians. I mean poo poo, look at the size of that pyramid, it must have been important to them, right?

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 20, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Something that might not be readily apparent is that very early Christians did not share our modern preoccupation with the afterlife, and so the Bible has surprisingly few details on what exactly happens, choosing instead to focus on the Second Coming, the resurrection of the dead, and the coming Kingdom of God, which they believed would all happen on Earth.

Because of that relative lack of concrete information, it left a lot of space for extra-biblical ideas to filter in, the whole idea of Hell as a place of conscious eternal torment being the prime example. The very word Hell doesn't come to us from the original text of the Bible but rather from Germanic paganism many centuries later, so anytime you see that, you'll want to dig into the actual word used, because Sheol, Gehenna, and Hades, the words typically translated as "Hell" don't carry any of the connotations of eternal punishment that "Hell" does.

And on the other side, we get things like Paul in 2 Corinthians talking about someone being taken up to the "third heaven". Critically, we don't have references to a first or second heaven so what exactly that means we just don't know. It's one of those verses where I would love to have a time machine to go back and ask Paul what the heck he meant by that because the whole passage is just bursting with unanswered questions.

I'm trying, and failing, to not compare this with the Star Wars expanded universe.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mad Hamish posted:

I'm trying, and failing, to not compare this with the Star Wars expanded universe.

there is a good reason that "canon" is used in both

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mad Hamish posted:

And the French, and the Germans.

Edit: to be fair to them, like, a LOT of the stuff in Egypt that was well-preserved was funerary monuments and the literature on those monuments. Like, the Great Pyramid was the biggest man-made thing on Earth for a long time, almost four thousand years! You can see how people would assume that the afterlife was a Big Deal to the Egyptians. I mean poo poo, look at the size of that pyramid, it must have been important to them, right?

From a sheer burden of proof perspective too, far more enormous funerary monuments have survived the test of 5000 years than physical religious or ethical texts for the daily life of the people. Maybe irony, maybe because the funerary monuments were built to physically last, but either way; the funerary monuments tended to survive and tended to have a lot of funerary prayers and spells within them. For contextual reasons.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wonder if the fact that it was only about two hundred years ago when anyone even knew what the writing on Egyptian monuments said had anything to do with it.

The fact that Ancient Egypt had a festival dedicated to cats, boobs, and screaming leads me to think they would have utterly thrived on the Internet.

Azathoth posted:

I do know the intercession of dead saints comes into Christian practice fairly early (at least, in terms of centuries, not years or decades)--there are catacombs where prayers to the dead are inscribed near some skulls. It's also technically biblical--there's a passage in one of the books of Maccabees where the prophet Jeremiah intercedes for Israel. There's also the Apocalypse of Peter, which has one of the earliest depictions of the rewards of paradise and punishments of hell.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Keromaru5 posted:

I wonder if the fact that it was only about two hundred years ago when anyone even knew what the writing on Egyptian monuments said had anything to do with it.

The fact that Ancient Egypt had a festival dedicated to cats, boobs, and screaming leads me to think they would have utterly thrived on the Internet.

I do know the intercession of dead saints comes into Christian practice fairly early (at least, in terms of centuries, not years or decades)--there are catacombs where prayers to the dead are inscribed near some skulls. It's also technically biblical--there's a passage in one of the books of Maccabees where the prophet Jeremiah intercedes for Israel. There's also the Apocalypse of Peter, which has one of the earliest depictions of the rewards of paradise and punishments of hell.

Yeah, it definitely comes into play pretty early. Basically once it became clear Jesus wasn't coming back during the lifetime of the first generation of believers they started asking the same questions we are still asking today.

As for the Apocalypse of Peter, I think there's a useful discussion to be had regarding how the original audience would have viewed the writing there, and in Revelation, as literal vs. poetic/metaphorical descriptions, but regardless it is true that they eventually came to be taken literally and this literalist interpretation echoes down to us today.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I guess what I'm saying is Luther was right when he said Revelation shouldn't be included in the biblical canon.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Azathoth posted:

I guess what I'm saying is Luther was right when he said Revelation shouldn't be included in the biblical canon.

That book looks so different from the rest of the gospels and epistles. It's like, addressed to the folks where its meaning would have import. Now it's just used to make really really bad for-tv movies.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, it definitely comes into play pretty early. Basically once it became clear Jesus wasn't coming back during the lifetime of the first generation of believers they started asking the same questions we are still asking today.

I assume the question they asked about this was "Is Jesus not coming back because of that thing I / Quintus did?"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

fuckin quintus

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
What if, given omnipotence/beyond time, he just forgot how long it's been since he did the bit.

"No stress, I'll be back!"

Couple geological epochs later, sun about to expand due to helium fusion, and oh no.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jesus knows he's been forgetting about something but he's not sure what

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

All these people with personal relationships— it’s a lot.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
He returns and the birds have evolved back into dinosaurs with an advanced post-industrial society.

He has to turn around and double back on the time line.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jesus trying to talk God the Father out of the Second Coming because he didn't have a great experience the last time he came to earth and it brings up a lot of bad memories, y'know.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

You had a perfectly good Son and look at him, now he has PTSD

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Jesus having to practice mindfulness training and exposure therapy.

Gets the courage.

Returns, takes some voice acting lessons on the dl, masters the voice Karl Urban used for Dredd.

Actually returns. Does this for everyone not quite ready for theosis yet:

SENTENCE: THREE MOTES OF TIME IN THE ISO CUBE.

Everyone laughs.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The spittle from saying the line splats against a blind man. Heals him.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

*stallone from judge dredd* i am the way the truth and the life

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I just realized Jesus is a Capricorn

Just like me

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I just realized Jesus is a Capricorn

Just like me

Jesus wasn't born in December. That's just when it's celebrated.

Shepherds stay with their flocks at night during lambing season, which is late February or early March. So he's more likely a Pisces. Rather appropriate.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Deteriorata posted:

Shepherds stay with their flocks at night during lambing season, which is late February or early March. So he's more likely a Pisces. Rather appropriate.
Lambing season actually depends a lot on their breed and their location, and Awassi sheep, which are native to the Middle East, have their lambing season in early Winter in Israel.

FWIW, there's also a reference in Genesis to tending sheep on a frosty night.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

no because then we don't have the same zodiac sign

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Christs ascendant is more important anyway.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nessus posted:

Christs ascendant is more important anyway.

oh I didn't know this. Ascendant huh? I am Libra ascendant, I wonder what this says about

yeah that tracks.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm Capricorn Sun Capricorn Moon Scorpio Rising which every zodiac site summarizes as 'drat you're an rear end in a top hat'

which is fair

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm a Pisces with Gemini Rising, so I can't stop posting, ever.

Unsure if astrology is forbidden though

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The fact the world still allows the stars to hold sway over us means Zeus is a stinted former lover who won't let us go.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know nothing about astrology except that Geminis make the best music, but I told a Co worker once that I was a Scorpio and she said " Yeah, that loving figures" and I'm not sure what that implies but I think it was an insult.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know nothing about astrology except that Geminis make the best music, but I told a Co worker once that I was a Scorpio and she said " Yeah, that loving figures" and I'm not sure what that implies but I think it was an insult.

owned

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what sorta orbs you using on these charts

restrict yr orbs more, you are using orbs too broad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

don't mock my fat orbs

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i pity yorbs (second person possessive orbs)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nessus posted:

I'm a Pisces with Gemini Rising, so I can't stop posting, ever.

Unsure if astrology is forbidden though

absolutely not. you cant coherently discuss religion as a broad topic w/o astrology. mul.apin on the one end, and the ongoing present on the other end, w some highlights like i think it is bardaisan who asserts that yes of fuckin course astrology is real but also free will is and must absolutely be real ergo all of the astrologically relevant bodies will be judged on judgment day for the influence they rendered on the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Deteriorata posted:

I remember an old xmas Carol that states Jesus was born on January 15th. Anyone know what's up with that?