Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dawgstar posted:

Kind of surprised we got it. Collecting money before the PDF was out sent out a lot of warning bells.

I was getting that vibe too, lots of excuses in updates.

Also they just updated that a single page version is on the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of Kickstarter games with delivery issues...

Has anyone been playing Mothership? I'm waiting on the final release before I run a second game with it, but that seems to still be in limbo for a while. Playtest docs have been out, though, and while I've been mixed on the changes as of the last time I checked in, there's still quite the community around it, it seems.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Mothership is definitely still in active production, but I don’t know much more about the specifics.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Oh yeah, it's in active production, I'm in their discord - it's just over a year late on delivering finished PDFs, let alone shipping physical copies. Just seeing if others had any opinions on the playtests, since it used to have more discussion.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 21, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Anyone else back Old Gods of Appalachia? They distributed the PDFs a week or two ago and looks like they’re about to start shipping physical books.

I haven’t read it yet but I’m thinking it may enter my group’s rotation so we can experience the Cypher system and kill moonshiner monsters.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Anyone else back Old Gods of Appalachia? They distributed the PDFs a week or two ago and looks like they’re about to start shipping physical books.

I haven’t read it yet but I’m thinking it may enter my group’s rotation so we can experience the Cypher system and kill moonshiner monsters.

I got the PDF and am pretty impressed that they provided regional settings for different parts of Appalachia. One of the settings is Boone, NC, which is a nice surprise as someone who moved from near there.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I realize this is irrelevant to 99% of you, but I'm not the only Portlander here.

https://twitter.com/aurorabiggers/status/1682058512028037121

quote:

Guardian Games in Portland has filed for a union with UFCW Local 555. NLRB records show the store has hired Ogletree Deakins — a well known union-busting law firm.

Same company owns Rainy Day Games.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just got a copy of Stealing Stories for the Devil, and it's actually interesting. Monte Cook is making good games now, surprisingly enough.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just got a copy of Stealing Stories for the Devil, and it's actually interesting. Monte Cook is making good games now, surprisingly enough.

It has an interesting idea, but the implementation doesn’t work, like, at all. At least one of the Liar types can’t do anything RAW.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dumb question: anyone have any experience with Full Court or other Descended from the Queen games? I'm tempted to pick it up, but the only options are digital, which isn't great for playing in person like I'd want to. (It looks like it's intended to be played on a VTT on playingcards.io, which I've never heard of before and seems like a pain in the rear end for just playing at the kitchen table.) Do DftQ games usually have oracles to use a regular deck of cards, or decent print-and-play options?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

It has an interesting idea, but the implementation doesn’t work, like, at all. At least one of the Liar types can’t do anything RAW.

The Schemer?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

The Plotter. Most of its printed examples contain contradictions. One actually says “you can’t affect matter, only events. You can’t make a car stop running but you can make the driver have forgotten to fill it with gas.” Apparently gas is not a form of matter.

They also can’t lie about things they can’t see, but at the same time can’t tell any lie that contradicts their senses. Which leaves an incredibly slim range of legal lies for anyone, and confusion about scaling of objects.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

The Plotter. Most of its printed examples contain contradictions. One actually says “you can’t affect matter, only events. You can’t make a car stop running but you can make the driver have forgotten to fill it with gas.” Apparently gas is not a form of matter.

They also can’t lie about things they can’t see, but at the same time can’t tell any lie that contradicts their senses. Which leaves an incredibly slim range of legal lies for anyone, and confusion about scaling of objects.

They are not affecting the gas. They're affecting the motivation of the driver.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

CitizenKeen posted:

I realize this is irrelevant to 99% of you, but I'm not the only Portlander here.

https://twitter.com/aurorabiggers/status/1682058512028037121

Same company owns Rainy Day Games.

Thanks for posting this. I'm not downtown, but RDG's nearby. gently caress that noise, I guess.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Dawgstar posted:

Kind of surprised we got it. Collecting money before the PDF was out sent out a lot of warning bells.
Oh, no, is this looking fucky? I kinda stopped paying attention to Kickstarter project emails because of personal life stuff, but it's depressing how many times I picked the wrong horse.

So many projects with 1,000+ comments, but not the good kind like you want.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AmiYumi posted:

Oh, no, is this looking fucky? I kinda stopped paying attention to Kickstarter project emails because of personal life stuff, but it's depressing how many times I picked the wrong horse.

Nah, the PDF went out although they made the extremely odd choice for it to be in two page spread format so good luck reading it on your phone. They've said a one page is coming out soon, at least, but it does very much feel like a First Time Kickstarter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got ym copy of Aegean the mythic greece rpg and it honestly looks pretty fun.

Although I had a good chuckle when realizing the system is a d10 dice pools game with 8+ being successes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got ym copy of Aegean the mythic greece rpg and it honestly looks pretty fun.

Although I had a good chuckle when realizing the system is a d10 dice pools game with 8+ being successes.

Why is that funny?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sebmojo posted:

Why is that funny?

I think because its effectively White Wolf's StoryTeller system?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

8+ for success on d10s is also pretty dogshit probability, iirc. (I think WoD's base was 7+?)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Whether it's dogshit probability or not really depends more on dice pool sizes and required number of successes for a typical check than the odds on an individual die.

8+ means each die has a 30% chance of generating a success, which roughly averages out to 1 success per 3 dice in the pool--which is fine if average dice pools are in the 5-7 range and most tasks require 1-2 successes, but would indeed be dogshit if pools average 4 dice and the average difficulty is 3, for instance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

It has an interesting idea, but the implementation doesn’t work, like, at all.
monte_cooke.pdf

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

It sounds like it's limited by the manner of causality. I can't say "all the gas evaporated" because that's lying about the gas directly. I can say "they forgot to get gas" which cascades down to "out of gas". I can't say "they get a flat tire" or "they never fixed a flat" because I'm conjuring the flat tire into existence, but cars need gas and they rely on people filling them to have gas so "car runs out of gas" is inevitable unless someone puts more in, so "they forgot to put more in" directly leads to "out of gas".

Maybe not out of gas at this exact moment though? So a good gambit in a high speed chase less so if you're standing in the street Gandalfing it.

hyphz posted:

I'm lying about the car, which I can see, being out of gas, which I cannot confirm or deny. I can't say "greg never gets here because he forgot to get gas" but I can say "greg can't leave because he forgot to get gas"

It does sound extremely mother may I in general, are the other classes similarly narrative bound? Is that the point of the game? Or is this alongside "the mage casts Disrupt Device"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PurpleXVI posted:

I think because its effectively White Wolf's StoryTeller system?

Ah of course sorry being dumb

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sebmojo posted:

Ah of course sorry being dumb

I mean, not really, I'm just guessing. It could be that I'm entirely wrong and the poster in question simply finds the idea of using D10's for anything hilarious, or hates the number 8, or any number of things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

but yeah it's probably that

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
they're not even loving platonic

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
wow a system uses a 1d20 for its resolution roll like about several thousand others, i literally shat myself howling with laughter

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

It sounds like it's limited by the manner of causality. I can't say "all the gas evaporated" because that's lying about the gas directly. I can say "they forgot to get gas" which cascades down to "out of gas". I can't say "they get a flat tire" or "they never fixed a flat" because I'm conjuring the flat tire into existence, but cars need gas and they rely on people filling them to have gas so "car runs out of gas" is inevitable unless someone puts more in, so "they forgot to put more in" directly leads to "out of gas".

It's just the ambiguity of the wording. What it says is "you cannot affect matter". What it probably means is "you can affect matter, but only by changing its recent history so it would be in a different state now". But as written, "you cannot affect matter" means you can't by any means change anything physical.

Likewise, "you can't lie about what you can't see" runs into heavy scaling problems. For example, to lie about the gas is it enough to see the car, or would you have to see the gas, or the gas tank? To lie about a door or safe being unlocked, is it enough to see the body of the door or do you have to see the shackle of the lock?

Mind you, that also has the example of "you could lie that someone has just pulled out of a parking space, so there's a place to park right in front of the Museum". Which absolutely violates the rules about vision - if you can see the car in the space, you can't lie about it because you're contradicting something you know. If you can't see the car in the space, you don't need to lie because the space is already open.

I miss feeling that RP could make me feel energised

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

hyphz posted:

It's just the ambiguity of the wording. What it says is "you cannot affect matter". What it probably means is "you can affect matter, but only by changing its recent history so it would be in a different state now". But as written, "you cannot affect matter" means you can't by any means change anything physical.

Likewise, "you can't lie about what you can't see" runs into heavy scaling problems. For example, to lie about the gas is it enough to see the car, or would you have to see the gas, or the gas tank? To lie about a door or safe being unlocked, is it enough to see the body of the door or do you have to see the shackle of the lock?

Mind you, that also has the example of "you could lie that someone has just pulled out of a parking space, so there's a place to park right in front of the Museum". Which absolutely violates the rules about vision - if you can see the car in the space, you can't lie about it because you're contradicting something you know. If you can't see the car in the space, you don't need to lie because the space is already open.

I miss feeling that RP could make me feel energised

If it's ambiguous, why are you choosing to read it in the most restrictive way possible? Just.. don't. Read it in the more permissive way and enjoy the game.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

You made me double-check whether OVA shipped, since I recalled getting my copy (not that I’ve played it…).

I dunno, it’s certainly not good when stretch goals don’t materialize, but I put that as a lesser sin than just straight up not delivering the core product. I have a bunch of RPGs I kickstarted that got the main book out and some to none of the stretch goals, but I think Mountain Witch 2nd ed is the only one that completely fizzled on me.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The Carbon 2185 expansion product was a huge mess. The developer claimed he almost died from Covid and then got hit with brexit problems. He then apparently made up a fake accounting firm to tell people the company was bankrupt.

Got the PDFs at least but it was like two years late. 5E isn’t great for cyberpunk anyway but it’s impossible for me to not fund things in that genre.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Carbon 2185 expansion product was a huge mess. The developer claimed he almost died from Covid and then got hit with brexit problems. He then apparently made up a fake accounting firm to tell people the company was bankrupt.

Got the PDFs at least but it was like two years late. 5E isn’t great for cyberpunk anyway but it’s impossible for me to not fund things in that genre.

You don’t have to hand your money to them

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That's a shame. I've heard the rulebook is actually pretty good (for a 5E cyberpunk conversion).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't been totally satisfied with a lot of indie cyberpunk games, but the 5e ones I've seen are so :effort: We're back in the D20 glut era, just with even better non-D20 games around

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Megazver posted:

That's a shame. I've heard the rulebook is actually pretty good (for a 5E cyberpunk conversion).

It’s actually pretty solid and an interesting take for a setting. The classes are pretty much reskins of 5E but there’s enough style to make it fun. The biggest problem is healing and a genera lack of lethality, but that’s a 5E thing. That said it’s a decent alternative to RED if you don’t want to learn another system.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parkreiner posted:

You made me double-check whether OVA shipped, since I recalled getting my copy (not that I’ve played it…).

I dunno, it’s certainly not good when stretch goals don’t materialize, but I put that as a lesser sin than just straight up not delivering the core product. I have a bunch of RPGs I kickstarted that got the main book out and some to none of the stretch goals, but I think Mountain Witch 2nd ed is the only one that completely fizzled on me.

Although three years with nothing to speak on is pretty bad, as in the case of OVA's series books. Clay just drop off the face of the earth, I guess?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roll a pool of d10s, 8 or higher is a success is pretty much exactly Storypath. Exalted had TN 7 unless you started having Sidereal catgirls meddling with it, the classic World of Darkness had variable TNs although 6 was a common one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Maybe not out of gas at this exact moment though? So a good gambit in a high speed chase less so if you're standing in the street Gandalfing it.

I'm lying about the car, which I can see, being out of gas, which I cannot confirm or deny. I can't say "greg never gets here because he forgot to get gas" but I can say "greg can't leave because he forgot to get gas"

It does sound extremely mother may I in general, are the other classes similarly narrative bound? Is that the point of the game? Or is this alongside "the mage casts Disrupt Device"

All the classes are like that, but the players get to have as much input on what the obstacles are when the heist is being created and as it is occurring so they have a lot of agency in the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Roll a pool of d10s, 8 or higher is a success is pretty much exactly Storypath. Exalted had TN 7 unless you started having Sidereal catgirls meddling with it, the classic World of Darkness had variable TNs although 6 was a common one.

5E WW led to an interesting difficulty spike in that it's still usually TN 6 but now success comes from how many dice hit that target number so in the old WoD you could usually skate by with a four or even three die pool and usually manage to pull a success but now you need to consider the odds of that are against you and probably want to make a big dice pool as possible if you want to be consistently good at something.