Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Read After Burning posted:

My favorite is the opposite, when the animal mascot is like "Hell, I'm killing my own species, we're delicious". :stare:

See:

I remember this logo from a butcher shop that had a crying cow and a little girl standing next to it and saying "Don't cry, cow, you will be sold by X", which is kind of the worst of both options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rocko's Modern Life's opening joke had a great take on it - a Chicken (that we find out the name of during the scene, let's go with Gladys for now) goes to a job interview, is interviewed by another Chicken and is given a uniform. The next day, a machine spits out a ready made fast food chicken dinner, that happens to contain a nametag that says "Hello, My name is Gladys!" It's the perfect way to show that O-Town is a literal dog-eat-dog world where capitalism has gone so far out of control that the citizens see nothing wrong with eating friends and neighbours. They know EXACTLY where their meat comes from, they may have even spoken to them the day before, and they just don't care. Virginia Woolfe, Heffer's mother, is a very sweet woman who'll happily take you up on giving her a driving lesson, but if her family is hungry and you are any kind of ruminant, you may be on her table a few hours later. It's an almost perfect satire of just how cruel that system is. The Woolfe family even Adopted Heffer with the goal of fattening him up and eating him one day, but they just grew attached and changed their minds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dialhforhero posted:

In my own personal experience I believe this is an AI image as I refuse to believe there were any other figures than the styrofoam chicken nugget container and the fries.

:colbert:

I have a vague recollection of getting the burger.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen chickens kill and eat their own young, nature is super hosed up.

*Makes notes* I see. That's interesting. Now, reaction time is a factor in this test, so please pay attention.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BioEnchanted posted:

Rocko's Modern Life's opening joke had a great take on it - a Chicken (that we find out the name of during the scene, let's go with Gladys for now) goes to a job interview, is interviewed by another Chicken and is given a uniform. The next day, a machine spits out a ready made fast food chicken dinner, that happens to contain a nametag that says "Hello, My name is Gladys!" It's the perfect way to show that O-Town is a literal dog-eat-dog world where capitalism has gone so far out of control that the citizens see nothing wrong with eating friends and neighbours. They know EXACTLY where their meat comes from, they may have even spoken to them the day before, and they just don't care. Virginia Woolfe, Heffer's mother, is a very sweet woman who'll happily take you up on giving her a driving lesson, but if her family is hungry and you are any kind of ruminant, you may be on her table a few hours later. It's an almost perfect satire of just how cruel that system is. The Woolfe family even Adopted Heffer with the goal of fattening him up and eating him one day, but they just grew attached and changed their minds.

Similar energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4xytsouUYo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ben shapino posted:

how are there this many pathetic loving losers on the planet lol can we really not do any better as a species
No, crying about the literal, actual Barbie(TM) movie is in fact very manly and alpha, I think you'll find.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I appreciate that they animated a shadow of the talking decapitated chicken head on the bathroom wall next to the toilet. Someone took pride in their work.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I seriously can't believe the poo poo they got away with back in the day. Even as a grade schooler I remember being surprised that some of the gags (Rocko working as a phone sex operator, Heifer getting "milked", the infamous bear teste pinch, etc.) were allowed on TV, especially a "children's" show.

poo poo was wild.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Oh bay-bee, oh bay-bee, oh bay-bee.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Heath posted:

Oh bay-bee, oh bay-bee, oh bay-bee.

Someone out there has a kink where they want to speak with a phone sex worker who reads that script to them in their best Rocko voice and is always left unfulfilled because no one ever gets it right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I seriously can't believe the poo poo they got away with back in the day. Even as a grade schooler I remember being surprised that some of the gags (Rocko working as a phone sex operator, Heifer getting "milked", the infamous bear teste pinch, etc.) were allowed on TV, especially a "children's" show.

poo poo was wild.

I love the recurring thing that Rocko is basically as his name implies a Rock for other characters - a beacon of stability, overall a kind person who has a very long fuse and is a positive influence on the town's inhabitants. But if you gently caress with him or his dog directly that fuse will be cut short. He will explode and it will be VERY ugly for you, as seen in the 99% off sale episode where he nearly starves to death due to not being able to avoid groceries, and the episode where he lets himself get bullied by a lovely stray dog on Garbage day, UNTIL Spunky gets hurt, at which point it's over for that dog. In the episode where Flecko moves in with him and starts taking advantage on a recent rewatch I was actually thinking "No, Flecko, don't do this. If Rocko snaps because you are taking the piss it will end VERY badly for you" and my fears were confirmed when he puts all the bugs in a vacuum cleaner and practically hand delivers them to his insectivore neighbours. He changes his mind at the last minute, but Rocko when angry or defensive can go to VERY dark places.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/dilettanterypod/status/1681951859702116353?s=46&t=LuWlVigXSHv3TXi-WVRPYA

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cower before your great and terrible lord.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still to this day use GAH-GAH-GAH-GOOEY as an all-purpose expletive of wonder

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

dialhforhero posted:

Yeah and they are the chicken nuggets and fries, yes?

I NEVER saw the others:

Burger, Drink, and Big Breakfast

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dewgy posted:

The King in Yellow Mustard

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Inceltown posted:

Why would you think it gets any better? There is nothing about this guy that will ever get better.

Did you read the whole thing flynn replied to? It's very sad.

:words:

quote:

Why Me? by Catturd.

I'm exhausted - mentally and physically. This Catturd thing has been a 5 year rollercoaster ride. I basically work 7 days a week; no days off, no vacations. I don't even know how I got here. I often ask, why me?

I have no idea how I've gained such a large following - sometimes I think it's mostly luck. Most the larger accounts on the conservative side have lived a very different life than me. In short, they did most everything right in life, and I did almost everything wrong - lol.

You couldn't get a more flawed and imperfect person than me. Although I've never been in trouble with the law, arrested, and only had one traffic ticket in my life - I was aimlessly adrift for many of my early years.

I joined the Army at 17-years-old, once my service was over - I basically started immediately screwing up. I was so lost. I had several failed marriages when I was way too young and had no idea what love was. Then I spent over a decade as a hippie musician, growing my hair, carefree, smoking weed, drinking too much, and even using some hard drugs. (I even had a VW hippie van - lol ) I was homeless at one point, living in a tent beside a lake for months. I fought alcoholism pretty hard during these times and still have to watch myself today.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret a moment of my life, because I strongly believe it takes lots of failures to become successful at anything.

I finally seemed to get my poo poo together around the age of 40. It took me long enough - lol.

At the age of 54, I decided to join social media for the first time because I suddenly got arthritis in my fingers where I lost the ability to play guitar. I was lost again and needed some kind of artistic outlet. Sometimes I think Catturd saved me in a way.

With this reach and when you truly speak your mind, The Left will viscously try to destroy you. YOU MUST BE SILENCED and it never ends.

For just giving my honest opinions, I've been doxxed, harassed, 100 hit pieces written about me, people come by house and scream obscenities, tons of death threats, and on and on. Everyone I've known for 40 years and many of my family members have been bullied and relentlessly harassed for years.

Sometimes I don't know why a screw-up like me was give this much reach. I pray every night I'll use this opportunity the right way to help as many people as possible - and pets. I'm always struggling in which direction to go.

I can honestly say, however, the love I get from my followers pushes me through the hard times, when I'm exhausted or down. Whether it's on social media or on our podcast, I try to make people laugh every day to ease the pain of what this country is going through.

In closing on this novel, I feel so blessed to have the support and love from so many of you. I don't claim to be perfect, but I'll always give you my raw and unfiltered opinions, right or wrong. I'm not afraid and I'm fighting for this country as hard as I can.

All of you saved me - I love you all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bugsy posted:

"Viscuously"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

My point was, being judged for not caring about the bush in front of my rental house that's surrounded by rocks in the city seems pretty loving weird, but also:

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

loving holier than thou "you're not living your life correctly" rear end attitude

lol you don't have to take it personally

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol you don't have to take it personally
Hmm yeah can't imagine why someone who was directly told

Heath posted:

You could just say you're uninterested in the world and uninteresting
would take things personally. Turns out people don't appreciate being called vapid and boring; what a shocker.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Jul 21, 2023

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ahecow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Elysiume posted:

Hmm yeah can't imagine why someone who was directly told

would take things personally. Turns out people don't appreciate being called vapid and boring; what a shocker.

i didn't do that

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

i didn't do that

Didn't you?

I am of the opinion that anyone that isn't at least a little interested in learning about the plants and animals that are around them every day is incurious to a startling degree and should be studied by scientists to they can be prevented from infecting the rest of the population with their condition.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

i didn't do that
I was addressing why it wasn't unexpected that she'd take the discussion personally rather than saying that was you, but being called "incurious to a startling degree" and saying you should be studied by scientists isn't all that different from what I quoted.

A lot of people put there are incredibly understimulated in their daily lives and interacting with nature is a healthy way to stimulate your brain. I am of the opinion that anyone that isn't at least a little interested in learning about the plants and animals that are around them every day is incurious to a startling degree and should be studied by scientists to they can be prevented from infecting the rest of the population with their condition.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There was a neat shrub growing behind my apartment and for years I didn't think about it, then one day I looked it up on a whim to finally find out what it was and my reaction was "oh, it's ambrosia salsola" and I do not feel my life was enriched in any way from knowing that.
Why are plants the thing you have to be curious about or else be a boring person? Why is being incurious about what some random plant is named so much worse than being incurious about light fixtures or sidewalk paving or specific car makes and models? Who cares, why are we gatekeeping curiosity.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Elysiume posted:

I was addressing why it wasn't unexpected that she'd take the discussion personally rather than saying that was you, but being called "incurious to a startling degree" and saying you should be studied by scientists isn't all that different from what I quoted.

IL didn't address that sentiment to Riot Carol Danvers, she just jumped in front of it to make sure we all knew she was represented by that remark of being incurious and took it personally, hence my remark to her

The original plant blindness post is written in such a way to draw that kind of insecurity out of people, which is why it's an excellent troll, since it does have that line of truth to it that taking a keener interest in the natural world that surrounds you is on a level above mere hobbyist interest because it forms such a large part of our shared surroundings in a way that is more primal than unnatural things like models of cars and such. The plants keep us and everything else alive on a visceral, moment to moment basis and have intricate networks of being all their own, and for the vast majority of people they form a simple green element of the static backdrop of life, which is a very normal thing but probably shouldn't be, given they've been with us longer than we've been human and will outlast us far beyond anything we create, but for the most part we just walk on them or ignore them. So when someone leaps out of the proverbial bushes to declare how judged they feel for not being interested, or completely misses the point by distilling the sentiment down something completely masturbatory and punctuates that thought by posting the jack off emoticon 3 times in a row just to drive it home, well, they've taken the bait and run with it

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bugsy posted:

I’ve seen plenty of people conflate their posting with activism, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen people conflate it with martyrdom before. Getting banned, sure, but not the simple act of posting.

It was fun how it seemed that Elon thought the world was a simulation and the people in it existed to stimulate him (Didn’t he reportedly say this to Grimes, the mother of one of his children?). NPCs to use and abuse as he pleased, except for the one single other real person in the universe with feelings he cared about : catturd2.

And now we know that Elon was stewing about it this whole time and has finally found a way to get his revenge.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Posting is serious business. If you ever stop posting, you end up dead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rather Dead than Red (texted)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Heath posted:

IL didn't address that sentiment to Riot Carol Danvers, she just jumped in front of it to make sure we all knew she was represented by that remark of being incurious and took it personally, hence my remark to her

The original plant blindness post is written in such a way to draw that kind of insecurity out of people, which is why it's an excellent troll, since it does have that line of truth to it that taking a keener interest in the natural world that surrounds you is on a level above mere hobbyist interest because it forms such a large part of our shared surroundings in a way that is more primal than unnatural things like models of cars and such. The plants keep us and everything else alive on a visceral, moment to moment basis and have intricate networks of being all their own, and for the vast majority of people they form a simple green element of the static backdrop of life, which is a very normal thing but probably shouldn't be, given they've been with us longer than we've been human and will outlast us far beyond anything we create, but for the most part we just walk on them or ignore them. So when someone leaps out of the proverbial bushes to declare how judged they feel for not being interested, or completely misses the point by distilling the sentiment down something completely masturbatory and punctuates that thought by posting the jack off emoticon 3 times in a row just to drive it home, well, they've taken the bait and run with it

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You can't understand the circle of life and the consequences of climate change unless you can tell me the name of that tree over there. Something being "primal" makes it inherently important and good. The natural is more worth your time than the artificial, no matter how irrelevant it may be in your day to day life. Knowing about how society, industry, transport, communication, and technology work? "Mere hobbyism". Memorizing how many leaves a Hooker's Lily has on each stalk? Sublime. And remember, if you're not interested in the things I have decided are important, you must be a dull and incurious person.
What? You think my point is stupid and belittling? Wow, must've struck a nerve! Every thing you're insulted by has a grain of truth to it. A hit dog will holler, after all. :smugbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't want my enjoyment of nature in my daily walks in the park gatekept by what Latin names some white dudes I've never met slapped on 'em.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Heath posted:

Speaking as someone who has a better than average knowledge of the plants around me, Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cleretic posted:

I don't want my enjoyment of nature in my daily walks in the park gatekept by what Latin names some white dudes I've never met slapped on 'em.

Too late. The bridge keeper wants you to give the scientific name of a native shrubbery.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Vib Rib posted:

You can't understand the circle of life and the consequences of climate change unless you can tell me the name of that tree over there. Something being "primal" makes it inherently important and good. The natural is more worth your time than the artificial, no matter how irrelevant it may be in your day to day life. Knowing about how society, industry, transport, communication, and technology work? "Mere hobbyism". Memorizing how many leaves a Hooker's Lily has on each stalk? Sublime. And remember, if you're not interested in the things I have decided are important, you must be a dull and incurious person.
What? You think my point is stupid and belittling? Wow, must've struck a nerve! Every thing you're insulted by has a grain of truth to it. A hit dog will holler, after all. :smugbert:

tl;dr

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I didn't address that sentiment to you, you just jumped in front of it to make sure we all knew you were represented by that remark of being incurious and took it personally.

The original post blindness post is written in such a way to draw that kind of insecurity out of people, which is why it's an excellent troll, since it does have that line of truth to it that taking a keener interest in the online world that surrounds you is on a level above mere hobbyist interest because it forms such a large part of our shared surroundings in a way that is more primal than unnatural things like models of cars and such. The forums keep us and everything else alive on a visceral, moment to moment basis and have intricate networks of being all their own, and for the vast majority of people they form a simple goon element of the static backdrop of posting, which is a very normal thing but probably shouldn't be, given they've been with us longer than Lowtax and will outlast us far beyond any threads we create, but for the most part we just post and ignore them. So when someone leaps out of the proverbial leper's colony to declare how judged they feel for not being having a custom avatar, or completely misses the point by distilling the sentiment down something completely masturbatory and punctuates that thought by posting the :awesome: emoticon 3 times in a row just to drive it home, well, they've taken the bait and run with it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bugsy posted:

I will never click show more.

---

Community notes are here to clear some things up for everyone too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I can name literally every plant in my garden, and I've been involved in seasonal sales at various nurseries, and I have over 300 confirmed seedling-to-plant growths. I am trained in gorilla gardening and I'm the top plant-namer in the entire Horticultural Society. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out like kudzu creeps over open earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am harvesting patches of skunk cabbage across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the stink storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can garden anywhere, anytime, and I can till dirt in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in watering and planting, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Department of Agriculture and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in my premium-grade natural fertilizer. You're loving dead, kiddo.