Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Create is, like:

Me reaping laying out my machine: ha ha yes!

Me sowing running mechanical power to all the bits, and routing inputs and outputs: what the fuuuuck

I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arrath posted:

Create is, like:

Me reaping laying out my machine: ha ha yes!

Me sowing running mechanical power to all the bits, and routing inputs and outputs: what the fuuuuck

I love it
Yep. Hands down the hardest part for me is redirection mechanical energy in tight spaces. There's only three possible directions it can orient (okay, clockwise/counterclockwise matters a significant amount of the time) and I'm out here stumbling through 40 gearboxes just trying to get two machines on the same power source.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It's really really cool to make a compact machine whose mechanical routing and item movement is done in a real slick way

It's also very difficult to tell just how big the eventual machine will be. I almost find myself spending too much time with an outline of my base floor plan in creative to make a schematic that works on a server

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around setting up my ore processing on a subnetwork with AE2 on GTNH. My main network has a 3 long controller block with p2ps all over it that has a dense cable they all go into coming off of it that feeds into a single controller block where that transports the p2ps.

Do I setup another controller by itself and hook a cable with an me interface to a storage bus that is hooked into my main network? And then the controller by itself with the me interface also has p2ps(to get more channels from this controller) and storage busses that go into the busses of the ore processing machines?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around setting up my ore processing on a subnetwork with AE2 on GTNH. My main network has a 3 long controller block with p2ps all over it that has a dense cable they all go into coming off of it that feeds into a single controller block where that transports the p2ps.

Do I setup another controller by itself and hook a cable with an me interface to a storage bus that is hooked into my main network? And then the controller by itself with the me interface also has p2ps(to get more channels from this controller) and storage busses that go into the busses of the ore processing machines?

Your ore proccessing subnet probably doesn't need P2Ps. ME P2P is mostly just for skimping on cable costs and stuffing large numbers of channels through quantum bridges or wireless connectors. For a subnet that's largely contained to a small physical area, such as a typical ore processing subnet, you don't need them.

I like to put dedicated storage on my oreproc subnet.

In terms of making the oreproc subnet accessible to the main net, you're basically on track -- a subnet ME interface should be read by an extract-only storage bus on your main network. This will expose the storage of the oreproc subnet to the main net, making its resources available for autocrafting. Set the storage bus to a priority like 1 or 10 -- something that's higher than the default of 0, but not too high. This will make it so that any autocrafting in your ME network will preferentially consume resources from your main network storage before the oreproc subnet.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Your ore proccessing subnet probably doesn't need P2Ps. ME P2P is mostly just for skimping on cable costs and stuffing large numbers of channels through quantum bridges or wireless connectors. For a subnet that's largely contained to a small physical area, such as a typical ore processing subnet, you don't need them.

I like to put dedicated storage on my oreproc subnet.

In terms of making the oreproc subnet accessible to the main net, you're basically on track -- a subnet ME interface should be read by an extract-only storage bus on your main network. This will expose the storage of the oreproc subnet to the main net, making its resources available for autocrafting. Set the storage bus to a priority like 1 or 10 -- something that's higher than the default of 0, but not too high. This will make it so that any autocrafting in your ME network will preferentially consume resources from your main network storage before the oreproc subnet.

Oh I was using the p2ps on the oreproc controller to just get more channels in that network. Regarding the inventory are you saying when the ore is done being processed it never enters the main network storage when it's done? It just sits in the ore proc storage? Also if you set the storage bus to a higher priority wouldn't the main network try to pull from that first over its own storage?

Also I presume I can use this same logic for fluid storage? But instead of setting up a inventory for the fluid I just hook in fluid storage busses to its own controller then do the me interface to storage bus thing?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Oh I was using the p2ps on the oreproc controller to just get more channels in that network. Regarding the inventory are you saying when the ore is done being processed it never enters the main network storage when it's done? It just sits in the ore proc storage? Also if you set the storage bus to a higher priority wouldn't the main network try to pull from that first over its own storage?

Also I presume I can use this same logic for fluid storage? But instead of setting up a inventory for the fluid I just hook in fluid storage busses to its own controller then do the me interface to storage bus thing?

You can place dense ME cables directly on a controller to get the 32 channels per side. (You'll need to use cable anchors or need to paint the dense cables to separate them, though.)

Yes -- when the ore processing subnet is finished with the ore and outputs dust or gems, they come to rest on dedicated oreproc subnet disks. The logic here is that if the oreproc subnet goes berserk and starts filling disks due to something that got screwed up with the processing pipeline, it won't clog your main network.

AE2 priority works like this:
* If you are requesting items from storage devices, empty out the lower priority sources first.
* If you are storing items to the network's storage devices, fill the higher priority sources first.

You can subnet fluid storage like that, yes. What I like to do with fluid disks is use ME Chests. You can output items and fluid directly to an ME chest with an appropriate disk inside, like you were piping the materials into a chest or tank. The benefit of this is that you only ever store items from a given machine in that disk only, allowing the machine to naturally shut off if the disk fills up. It's a good way to limit setups without having to resort to laggy level emitters.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Create: Astral

So I just learned this exists. On a scale of vanilla Create to GTNH, where Create: A&B is maybe about a 6.5, how spergy is the structure of quests and mechanics for this one?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My small friends-only minecraft server needs a new modpack to play, since the one we just started has various problems. Can somebody recommend a modpack featuring a good amount of magic stuff (particularly Ars Nouveau and its addons) resource generation (mystical agriculture, resourceful bees, or something) and quality of life/storage stuff like botany pots, danks, etc. Preferably 1.19.

Kitchen sink is fine but I wouldn't turn up my nose at something with more of a theme going on.

edit: We do not like gregtech style stuff, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ATM8

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No that's what we were having problems with. :negative:

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So I just learned this exists. On a scale of vanilla Create to GTNH, where Create: A&B is maybe about a 6.5, how spergy is the structure of quests and mechanics for this one?

I've not yet tried Create A&B, but have been to HV a few times in GTNH. Create Astral is my first time delving into Create.10/10 so far (just built moon portal.) Pack feels extremely polished, and I'm finding that it scratches the same itch as GTNH but has been much friendlier so far. Like, I'll need to make a thing, and then lookup the components of that thing and go "oh, I can make that no problem" (or sometimes "oh, I have a bunch of those I looted/got as a quest reward.") Where my memory of GTNH was more like "Oh, that thing needs an arm, which needs screws, which I'm almost out of... oh man, I'm also low on rods, and the lathe is currently tied up doing something else, I guess today is more of a stockup day then a progression day.")

I might be in the honeymoon phase because this is my first create pack, but I'm really loving it so far. You should play it!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

My small friends-only minecraft server needs a new modpack to play, since the one we just started has various problems. Can somebody recommend a modpack featuring a good amount of magic stuff (particularly Ars Nouveau and its addons) resource generation (mystical agriculture, resourceful bees, or something) and quality of life/storage stuff like botany pots, danks, etc. Preferably 1.19.

Kitchen sink is fine but I wouldn't turn up my nose at something with more of a theme going on.

edit: We do not like gregtech style stuff, though.

What problems exactly?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I've been on ATM8 for about half a year now and I'm doing all sorts of dumb automation/farming poo poo now as I chase infinite storage and I haven't had any real issues. Like everything you specifically mentioned (ars noveau, mystical agriculture/bees, storage) is literally the bulk of what I've done. Ars Noveau in particular is fantastic to get going on ATM8

Speaking of, my crafter are currently bottlenecked by my unobtanium furnace. Is there a different furnace that'll work better with RS's crafters?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of, my crafter are currently bottlenecked by my unobtanium furnace. Is there a different furnace that'll work better with RS's crafters?

Either change it to a bank of furnaces (e.g. RS Crafter -> chest -> Pipez connected to a bunch of furnaces in round-robin mode -> Pipez connecting to another chest -> RS Importer) or switch to a Mekanism Elite Smelting Factory with all the Speed upgrades and Auto-Sort turned on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven't had any problems, but you do need an RS importer to slurp finished product out of the furnace. Getting to a Creative Importer shouldn't be too rough if you've enough infrastructure for an unobtanium furnace.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'll look at mekanism. Had a fun one last night where I left things running overnight and my furnace drained my base's power entirely. So my simple 2 gas generator setup got an upgrade

I had this very unoptimized at the time so everything got speed upgrades, all pipes got ultimate upgrades, and I stacked elite chemical tanks on top of the generators to build up elethyne reserves. way overkill but I rather not run out of power again because kinda hard to access storage to fix power when storage has no power. I borrowoed a few things from a friend's base to get myself kickstarted again.

Crafting area. Im trying to keep things clean (missing a few covers/facade) and I've been expanding as I go. Only one big furnace right now which I'll look into upgrading to something else. Or adding more because my current work queue looks like this

And that's just 2/3 of the disks I need to get to the final infinite disk. The furnace for smelting chips is the one giant bottleneck for it all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

I haven't had any problems, but you do need an RS importer to slurp finished product out of the furnace. Getting to a Creative Importer shouldn't be too rough if you've enough infrastructure for an unobtanium furnace.

I'm at the ultra level on exporter/importers for my setup. Haven't pushed further because I thought my bottleneck was on the furnace itself (if the crafter's info is any indication). I'll look into bumping these up as well.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I juiced it to Creative because it's what, four blocks of netherite and a nether star? Chump change by midgame tbh.

E: What the 6x limit it's talking about is - at least as far as I can tell - the number of slots on the furnace. Especially since it's unobtanium, adjust your crafting patterns to do 64x raw -> smelted (at least for the ones you can afford to do this on) to get the most out of the fact that the unobtanium furnace does full stacks in 5t.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 24, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I juiced it to Creative because it's what, four blocks of netherite and a nether star? Chump change by midgame tbh.

adjust your crafting patterns to do 64x raw -> smelted (at least for the ones you can afford to do this on) to get the most out of the fact that the unobtanium furnace does full stacks in 5t.

oh my god this is so simple and i completely overlooked. all my patterns are 1x

EDIT: oh baby we are MOVING now on this furnace.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 24, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

What problems exactly?
Well, there's been lag issues, the main Ars users are annoyed at the lack of Too Many Glyphs, I personally am mildly annoyed at Tetra not having integration of many materials (I know I made a Refined Obsidian sword in some other modpack once with it)...

But the actual dealbreaker is, uh, https://imgur.com/a/FQZbh7a apparently the devs are transphobes and at least one player has said they'd prefer not playing at all to playing a pack by them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zereth posted:

But the actual dealbreaker is, uh, https://imgur.com/a/FQZbh7a apparently the devs are transphobes and at least one player has said they'd prefer not playing at all to playing a pack by them.

Ah yes, the old "we are not transphobic, we just refuse to acknowledge trans people as actual people".

Jesus loving christ, guess that entire set of packs can go gently caress themselves.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The makers of a popular modpack having poo poo for brains is nothing new.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Cotton candy bee sounds pretty sick(cool) tbh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus loving christ, guess that entire set of packs can go gently caress themselves.
Yep. If I'm understanding those screenshots the dev team just got a bit smaller, though.

dragonshardz posted:

We'd still rather play something else.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Vault Hunters might be up your alley? Similar difficulty with regards to mods as ATM8 but you have to run vaults to unlock the stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah I was going to say. Looks like they’ve addressed the issue to an extent and the mod is back too

https://twitter.com/allthemods/status/1682488123064713217?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That doesn't address poo poo from that imgur, lmao

E: Like, unless that "thevortex" clown isn't part the ATM team but I somehow doubt that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Immersive Engineering and Hex Casting both have a bunch of LGBTQ stuff, and some mod added the full suite of pride banners to the treasure loot tables; none of which they’ve touched.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I mean that can be the case and Maddy/thevortex can be transphobic shitheads.

Hell, if anything, there's plenty of ostensibly-queer groups that are completely happy to throw trans people under the bus and discussion in those groups pretty much looks exactly like how Maddy/thevortex are behaving in that discussion. That poo poo's TERF 101.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Holyshoot posted:

Vault Hunters might be up your alley? Similar difficulty with regards to mods as ATM8 but you have to run vaults to unlock the stuff.

It's more wanting a kitchen sink pack with a quest book to help people figure them out, and a bunch of magic mods.

Like FTB One fits all of those, except for the quest book.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 24, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finished my infinite storage disk :woop: I feel free to let my bees and mystical farm be. My mob farm is out of control I went overboard with the spawner modifiers. Now I gotta go hunt mobs for DNA to make spawn eggs and change my spawners for even more loot.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I've been getting the itch to play some MC again...and thinking of playing GT:NH again. But my question is if anyone has opinions on whether to just play single player, or try and find a server to play on for it. Any recommendations?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
That ATM stuff looks like fear to me more than hate. They're afraid to put the word trans into the modpack because it'll stir up drama from transphobes. Little did they know they were stirring up drama by excluding it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Faldoncow posted:

I've been getting the itch to play some MC again...and thinking of playing GT:NH again. But my question is if anyone has opinions on whether to just play single player, or try and find a server to play on for it. Any recommendations?

The official servers are mostly just singleplayer-but-with-a-community and strict no-griefing rules. If you want to stay up on the bleeding edge updates and tinker with the pack yourself with mods then true singleplayer is the way.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 25, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

Unless you have friends who will commit to it on a private server, definitely play single player. I play single player exclusively. This lets you work around bugs and questbook limitations, if you can trust yourself not to wantonly cheat.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
There are performance advantages to playing on a small/private server, though, if you're in it for the long haul.

Whitelisting for the officials has been closed for awhile now anyway because they're approaching playable levels of TPS fuckery already and they don't want to make it even worse. You can try the LFG forum on the GTNH discord, too. There are always a ton of people in there trying to get a server up and running.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 25, 2023

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You are entirely right. Nothing should be brought up about this topic anymore.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 25, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

SugarAddict posted:

trans, gay, hitler

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Whole lotta transphobic bullshit to defend some transphobes.