Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FreudianSlippers posted:

To save money it's massively understaffed.

Compare to Imperial Star Destroyers which per canon have 37,000 crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How else do you suggest you get the power for a laser cannon if not tens of thousands of people on bikes?

How do you thing the turret turns? Five thousand people pushing around a big capstan.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

How else do you suggest you get the power for a laser cannon if not tens of thousands of people on bikes?

How do you thing the turret turns? Five thousand people pushing around a big capstan.

No wonder they track too slow to shoot snubfighters.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I figured Star Destroyers have boarding parties so the crew numbers are inflated.

Also their turbo lasers are all manned units so there's that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OwlFancier posted:

Makes sense to me. The Empire relies on droid labor for many tasks, so they know droids are unreliable little shits. The more automated systems you put in your ship, the closer it gets to becoming a giant droid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Android Apocalypse posted:

I figured Star Destroyers have boarding parties so the crew numbers are inflated.

Also their turbo lasers are all manned units so there's that.

I mean yeah think of that scene when you see a hangar full of storm troopers lined up - those aren't starship crew, why would they be wearing blaster armor

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are they boarding? How many MC-80s are there kicking about? Sounds to me like palpatine is just pork barrelling the navy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

What are they boarding? How many MC-80s are there kicking about? Sounds to me like palpatine is just pork barrelling the navy.

No troop ships attacked Hoth. That ground force and attendant walkers were all organic forces within each star destroyer.

Oh god I'm nerding out. Yeah each SD is a MIC contractors wet dream.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe it's a jobs program. The ship doesn't need 37,000 people. The empire doesn't need 37,000 soldiers on that ship.

What the Empire needs is for every young man who isn't gainfully employed to be recruited into the military to keep him out of trouble. In a deleted scene Luke and Biggs worry about being drafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9z5Ths7WSU&t=88s

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
drat, Lando wore that outfit so much better.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

drat, Lando wore that outfit so much better.

It's not really fair to compare anybody else to Lando in terms of style.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gort posted:

She can still loving write, though. She just doesn't, 99.99% of the time. For no good reason I can think of.

adult illiteracy is not mockworthy, be ashamed of your words and deeds

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Byzantine posted:

It's not really fair to compare anybody else to Lando in terms of style.

Then he shouldn't have tried. Even his mustache sucks.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Troll
They are flying around a huge troll in helicopters and the bells are working. For no reason the guy says they need to get closer and then the troll fucks them up for being within reach. It was already dropped to a knee covering it's head.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While sci-fi numbers are always lol, Star Destroyers are basically battleships plus carriers, designed to be mobile force projection and carry things like AT-ATs and TIE squadrons. Having basically a mobile garrison of troops makes sense, not to mention support and service crew for them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While sci-fi numbers are always lol, Star Destroyers are basically battleships plus carriers, designed to be mobile force projection and carry things like AT-ATs and TIE squadrons. Having basically a mobile garrison of troops makes sense, not to mention support and service crew for them.

The part in return of the Jedi with the 8 million tie fighters is how every space battle scene should actually look based on the numbers given

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Star Destroyers' complement was written by a dude really active on Star Wars vs Star Trek forums, and he inflated the numbers so he could argue that Star Wars would beat Star Trek.

TaurusTorus has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Jul 18, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I paid money to see the movie in a theater with broken ac.

I was already disconcerted by that but the whole section you spoilered kept me feeling that way for a long long time. The ending was fairly disturbing. I think the writers wanted to wrap it up in a single movie and not worry about budget.

If she got loose and slept with some other guy that would already be bad as they'd have to find her and catch her plus deal with the dad, but when she swaps sexes and kills the lead and the... offspring? gets sold to the company shuts down any mystery of what would happen if she/he got out or possible sequel leads.

Good movie but there's a ton of what the gently caress and the ending is gonna stick with you and not in a good way.

according to tvtropes, the ending actually made the actress who played the female scientist stop acting entirely.

Species was similar but at least that movie didn't end with such a bad note. Yeah the rat poo poo went nowhere and could have and should have been cut, but Sil was cool and everything in the movie was pretty cool. I remember seeing it in theaters and cracking up when the empath saw a bedroom full of blood splatter and goes, "Something bad happened here."

In terms of AI and ships, I am always reminded of Transformers Prime, a rather underrated transformers cartoon, where the Decepticon warship becomes sentient; it takes no poo poo from Megatron and pretty much knocks all the Cons unconscious so it can do what it wants without being yelled at, or beaten, or threatened. I imagine a sentient ship stocked with Stormtroopers would do something similar.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cowslips Warren posted:

In terms of AI and ships, I am always reminded of Transformers Prime, a rather underrated transformers cartoon, where the Decepticon warship becomes sentient; it takes no poo poo from Megatron and pretty much knocks all the Cons unconscious so it can do what it wants without being yelled at, or beaten, or threatened. I imagine a sentient ship stocked with Stormtroopers would do something similar.

I think there was a star wars expanded universe story where IG-88 or some other assassin droid thing figured he needed to be the baddest droid in the universe, so he comes up with a plan to sneak onto the death star and upload himself to its hardware. He succeeds, too, right before Luke blows it to hell.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, that was IG88. He was feeling smug as hell about it too.

Not for long though :haw:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Not to be confused with the other IG88s, who all got beaten by Boba Fett in various ways because apparently the old EU Boba Fett was the Star Wars Batman.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cowslips Warren posted:

according to tvtropes, the ending actually made the actress who played the female scientist stop acting entirely.

Species was similar but at least that movie didn't end with such a bad note. Yeah the rat poo poo went nowhere and could have and should have been cut, but Sil was cool and everything in the movie was pretty cool. I remember seeing it in theaters and cracking up when the empath saw a bedroom full of blood splatter and goes, "Something bad happened here."

Looking at her Wikipedia it sounds like she was already pivoting into directing so I think maybe Tvtropes might not be super accurate

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Randalor posted:

Not to be confused with the other IG88s, who all got beaten by Boba Fett in various ways because apparently the old EU Boba Fett was the Star Wars Batman.

Or the one that you clown on as Dash Rendar in Shadows.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They weren't exactly top of the line. Hell, one gets taken out in the first episode of Mando.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like any weapon made by fascists, they're about intimidation first, utility second. A distant second*.

Having a kilometre long ship park itself right over a capital city with not only thousands of troops, but thousands of bureaucrats ready to audit your planet's finances while blockading the entire world and the whole shebang run by officers only interested in backstabbing each other to move up the ranks even if it means they burn your world to the ground would be pretty terrifying.

But, yes, sci-fi numbers never make sense. Distance, speed, people, writers give no shits and know even less.

* viz: AT-ATs

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Having a kilometre long ship park itself right over a capital city with not only thousands of troops, but thousands of bureaucrats ready to audit your planet's finances

I wish we could rewind back to the first movie to find out the Sith were just space chartered accountants.

"Commander, you failed to provide appropriate receipts for your expense account for the last time."

<force choke noises>

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arrath posted:

i was gonna say how do you forget Dash Rendar! but i think Fett also clowns on that same IG unit in the Shadows of the Empire pop-up book before it gets to Dash.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

christmas boots posted:

Looking at her Wikipedia it sounds like she was already pivoting into directing so I think maybe Tvtropes might not be super accurate

She got married and had three kids at that time as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah Polley quitting acting also had something to do with her turning 30 and still being best known for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which she made when she was eight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm picturing the AI sparing the maintenance crew just because they were nice to it.

Also funny thing is while it's not pointed out in the show, the loosely related Fall Of Cybertron game gives a ready reason why the Nemesis can so easily turn sentient and brutal: it used to be Trypticon, forcibly reformatted and mode-locked.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Man, Transformers is like when you start to wonder why Goofy gets to wear pants and talks while Pluto is just a normal dog, or how Huey, Dewey and Louie can feed regular ducks in the park. Like, what would they order in a Chinese restaurant?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
If we're descended from ducks then why are there still ducks? Checkmate, atheists

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arrath posted:

Hell, I was just referring to IG-88's story where he uploads himself into the Death Star. 4 IG-88s, 3 get punked by Boba Fett, and the last completes his goal just to get vaporized.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not the first to wonder, won't be the last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpCGIvKNO30

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Grendels Dad posted:

Man, Transformers is like when you start to wonder why Goofy gets to wear pants and talks while Pluto is just a normal dog, or how Huey, Dewey and Louie can feed regular ducks in the park. Like, what would they order in a Chinese restaurant?

Wonton soup?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Actually, they're not allowed in the local Chinese restaurant any longer since they were caught spying on other customers in the restrooms. They refuse to serve peeking ducks.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Cowslips Warren posted:

You might enjoy the book series Ancillary Justice, a revenge opera starring a murdered AI warship. It's intelligence was distributed across thousands of lobotomized prisoners of war, and a single talking corpse survived. Now it's alone against the fascist empire that built it, stranded on the worlds it helped conquer.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah Polley quitting acting also had something to do with her turning 30 and still being best known for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which she made when she was eight.

The actress from Dawn of the Dead and Go? I'm learning some poo poo today.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/XDProtag/status/1672448583746957314
https://twitter.com/theRealCappyM/status/1671722206722764800

This kicks rear end.

It's just not fair that Judge Dredd is the one character that can maintain wearing a mask all the time but everyone else is desperate to take theirs off like its a hydraulic press. I'm just waiting for someone in a Marvel movie to get sniped mid helmet-free banter scene.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RareAcumen posted:

https://twitter.com/XDProtag/status/1672448583746957314
https://twitter.com/theRealCappyM/status/1671722206722764800

This kicks rear end.

It's just not fair that Judge Dredd is the one character that can maintain wearing a mask all the time but everyone else is desperate to take theirs off like its a hydraulic press. I'm just waiting for someone in a Marvel movie to get sniped mid helmet-free banter scene.

Watch Starship Troopers for exactly this (and also the whole movie whips rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What does it mean when something is a "a hurricane moment ever"?