Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Skippy McPants posted:

I just wanted to make a joke about Better off Dead cause that switch comb-wielding paperboy has been livin' in my head for the past thirty years.

I always want to rewatch it whenever someone calls cocaine snow or says two dollars, and then I remember Ricky and totally lose interest.

Do I need to be concerned that Savage Steve Holland moved to kids tv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skippy McPants posted:

I just wanted to make a joke about Better off Dead cause that switch comb-wielding paperboy has been livin' in my head for the past thirty years.

I like how the titular theme of that 80s black comedy was sung by EG Daily aka Tommy Pickles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylZKZ0cAlCE

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like how the titular theme of that 80s black comedy was sung by EG Daily aka Tommy Pickles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylZKZ0cAlCE

I totally didnt know that Thank you

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I totally didnt know that Thank you

This remix of it slaps, frankly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6j0VPUNRpw

She does have a successful recording career, too, and her albums are good. It's just funny hearing Tommy Pickles/Buttercup the Powerpuff Girl singing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Dawgstar posted:

So basically he's making half whatever he actually makes before other expenses he has to pay out of pocket?

it truly sucks to freelance lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Kamrat posted:

Maybe not give money to people that are making enough already and spread it around to people that need it more.

people are purchasing entertainment. its not charity.
e: sorry im still catching up and now im loling bc that guy really thought he was making 80k a month

fun hater fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 20, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"entertainment"

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

"entertainment"

look, im not excited about having to defend the honor of the man whose presentation style makes me physically cringe. but that is ostensibly what ppl are paying for

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
y'all need more people in your lives that are willing to roll their eyes at you when you start pontificating on stuff.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The idea of Dan Olsen making money comparable to Amouranth but by talking about WOW is too good for this world.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

mycot posted:

The idea of Dan Olsen making money comparable to Amouranth but by talking about WOW dunking on NFTs and Meme Stocks is too good for this world.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

thank you for changing the post to be less funny

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Patreon just displaying all currencies as $ or even just ones it doesn't have a pre-existing symbol for as $ sounds like exactly the kind of dumb thing that Patreon would do. It does explain the bizarre belief so many people seem to have in rich patreon users. The people so misinformed are all Swedes or from similarly low value currency lands.

...this might genuinely be the case, I sure as hell didn't know Patreon did that. It's probably not common knowledge. Hopefully this thread will somehow spread that info around like how it cancelled Scott Cawthon

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh my god who gives a poo poo about any of this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive heard rumors that the old lady youtuber who really likes hyperdimenson neptinia makes $99999999 a year

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm obviously morally superior to all of you because I don't give money to anyone. mostly because I'm poor and can't afford to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even aside from whatever else they get (ie easy to manage premium content delivery), a big factor in “why patreon” is that once you’re in the ecosystem is very easy to add another sub. Don’t need to add a credit card, make a new account, anything. Just log into your existing account, pick a tier, and subscribe. You’re making it a lot easier to access a user base.

Having to make an account on a website and set up recurring payments is more than most people are willing to do to toss someone 2$ a month.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

quote:

Aint paying no rich guy 2 dollars a month so he can post 1 video a year.

So I want to go back to this post because I was reminded of what Hbomb is actually doing with his excess Patreon money: Giving it to BIPOC and LGBTQ creators to make stuff.

I don't know Hbomb, maybe he's a giant jerk in his personal life. But honestly this whole discussion and people saying they're not going to support a creator because he's already "rich" just feels really rotten to me. It's hard enough to be an internet creator these days, we all live in a capitalistic hellscape, the last thing we need is this crab bucket poo poo where we're dragging people down because they're slightly more successful than somebody else. I like Hbomb's videos and appreciate the production values that go into them, I like the bonus content he's put out, I'm happy to spend the equivalent of buying him a subway sandwich twice a year, and even if his videos are infrequent I always look forward to them. That's all that should matter about whether to support someone on patreon, not whether they're making slightly more than the average salary jesus christ

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
hbomb more like hbag

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

I always want to rewatch it whenever someone calls cocaine snow or says two dollars, and then I remember Ricky and totally lose interest.

Do I need to be concerned that Savage Steve Holland moved to kids tv?

Nobody remembers Eek the Cat! anymore, but it was great.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Nobody remembers Eek the Cat! anymore, but it was great.

Eek was awesome, thunderlizards sucked, I liked Lizzie McGuire, now he does live action Nickelodeon movies and a series of 3 live action fairy odd parents films?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

crabs in a bucket rear end thread

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Nuebot posted:

I'm obviously morally superior to all of you because I don't give money to anyone. mostly because I'm poor and can't afford to.

:hfive: Me too!

:smith:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I think it's a bit mean to say Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are awful; they had some pretty good and broadly speaking conclusive storylines that, IIRC, were pretty big for the time they were written. The biggest problem with them is entirely that they keep getting brought back, almost spitefully so against their popular and beloved successors. DC is obsessed with turning Hal Jordan into the rainbow jesus of space light, and Barry Allen is just the goodest fastest guy in the universe now. And it sucks because neither of them are even really the characters they used to be, they're just generic borderline interchangeable Heroes now.

And it's wild because Flash Point was so weirdly angry about Wally West existing. First it wipes him from existence, then when people complain about it they bring in the wally west from the show which only makes fans madder. So they bring him back and make them both wally west, but not any of his supporting cast and just destroy the character and make him sad and broken because his family doesn't exist anymore. So they turn him into a crazy serial super hero killer for a bit. Like, it's one thing for the obnoxious worship of the golden age characters to supersede everything else; but it's another when they actively just destroy fan favorite characters who threaten those top billing heroes in popularity.

I blame Geoff Johns. Its fun, its easy, and its always right!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I want to go back to this post because I was reminded of what Hbomb is actually doing with his excess Patreon money: Giving it to BIPOC and LGBTQ creators to make stuff.

I didn't know Hbomb did that. That's super cool :unsmith:

Yhara Zayd talks about The White Gaze of Hairspray, John Waters and his love of the Buddy Dean show. Really good watch. I finally saw Hairspray this year for the first time and it was a really fun time! But also...yeah, everything she says in the video. It's a fun movie/show but the blindspots are really hard to ignore in 2023. It jst ends up being another White Savior Girl Solves Racism story

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I blame Geoff Johns. Its fun, its easy, and its always right!

Now, that may not be entirely fair! It could as easily be Dan DiDio, who was finally given the boot a while back.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i remember asking this before but what caused geoff johns to be dropped by wb? i only vaguely know him as a writer who was super into flash villains like cap cold

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Now, that may not be entirely fair! It could as easily be Dan DiDio, who was finally given the boot a while back.

It’s the incredibly petty fanboy poo poo that makes me think it’s Geoff Johns, but the crazy serial super hero killer is the kind of sleazy edgy shlock DiDio likes, so that was probably his editor note.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I really don't want to cause another Snyderverse derail (not to be confused with a Schneiderverse derail) but divorced from everything else it is really funny that as soon as Geoff Johns leaves the Green Lanterns that aren't Hal Jordan get let out of jail.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It’s the incredibly petty fanboy poo poo that makes me think it’s Geoff Johns, but the crazy serial super hero killer is the kind of sleazy edgy shlock DiDio likes, so that was probably his editor note.

Yeah, Sean McKeever said a while back that on Titans he was basically just doing scripting and editorial was writing the book which made sense because he was honestly pretty good with teenage superhero stuff and this was just awful. Editorial pulling this appears to have been pretty common under DiDio's tenure.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Geoff Johns becoming as bad as he did is a little depressing because I loved his JSA run.

Also, I looked him up to see what he was currently working on and the man is only fifty. I would have pegged him for being at least 55 considering his reverence for all these older characters he's into

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most comic writers or at the least the ones that write superhero comics hate change and will go to great lengths to undo character development or entire storylines to bring their favorite characters back to to the status quo that the writer likes best spiderman has gone through this a lot but it happens to the flash and green lantern a lot too

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 21, 2023

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

most comic writers or at the least the ones that write superhero comics hate change and will go to great lengths to undo character development or entire storylines to bring their favorite characters back to to the status quo that the writer likes best spiderman has gone through this a lot but it happens to the flash and green lantern a lot too

That is the Tragedy of Darth Geoff the Wise in a nutshell. He bade his time and worked his way up the ladder all for a grand restoration that nobody really wanted anymore once he was finally in the driver’s seat.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 21, 2023

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Kunster posted:

Remember last year when a guy went around to every single Rainforest Cafe in the US? He went to every single MargarittaVille this year!

Next year he could visit every Roy Rogers.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The Fixin's bar alone would provide enough variety for at least 5 videos.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Eddie should go to every Rax next

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kunster posted:

One is harder to pirate.

Remember last year when a guy went around to every single Rainforest Cafe in the US? He went to every single MargarittaVille this year!

Same as last time, Ted's posted his own video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9Oy2Jx2dM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clip-On Fedora posted:

That is the Tragedy of Darth Geoff the Wise in a nutshell. He bade his time and worked his way up the ladder all for a grand restoration that nobody really wanted anymore once he was finally in the driver’s seat.

His slavish devotion to the Silver Age and trying to restore those particular characters was always a mystery because he didn't grow up reading those or anything, Johns just somewhere decided he wanted the most boring Flash and Green Lantern back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mraagvpeine posted:

Next year he could visit every Roy Rogers.
he could make a series surviving on nothing but dunkin donuts while he travels to every single dunkin donuts in the US :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Johns is unusual amongst big comic book creators in that almost everything he's written was for DC and Marvel as a part of existing franchises. It's only in the last few years that he's really branched out. It just adds to the feeling that he's a bit unimaginative.