Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Cover has a real choose your own adventure vibe, I think both the art and choice of font/style.

Really adds to the vibe for me. Will human beings be the next victims? You decide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Charles Ford posted:

Cover has a real choose your own adventure vibe, I think both the art and choice of font/style.

Really adds to the vibe for me. Will human beings be the next victims? You decide!

the hilarious thing is that the answer is a resounding no and the book's argument is that the whole thing is a con job by grifters and fanatics but the publisher still had to push that angle

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

cattle mutilation stories always seem a bit "humans surprised by behavior of scavengers" to me

the organs have been removed, you say? the soft delicious parts?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

cattle mutilation stories always seem a bit "humans surprised by behavior of scavengers" to me

Lmao right?

All the damage was concentrated around the face and anal+genital reasons? Freaky, spooky! Until you learn that orifices are the easiest way into the body so scavengers get into them first.

What gets me is the absolute refusal to learn fairly well understood and easy to find out facts about the natural world.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
SURGICAL PRECISION.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Yeah, cattle mutilations were ~99% just cattle dropping dead and getting their bits et by scavengers and maybe ~1% degenerate weirdos killing stuff to get off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

But what if those degenerates....were aliens :tinfoil:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
one time a cow's butthole just did that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I have a feeling many farmers wouldn't rule out anything a cow's butthole might do.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Today’s movie recommendation is Endangered Species (1982) - easily the best cattle-mutilation-centric conspiracy thriller.

If you wish, double-feature it with the scrappy schlock-horror Mutilations (1986).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

If it happened to a cow it could just happen to anyone of us :ohdear:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cattle mutilations are done by Lee Harvey Oswald.

He didn't have anything to do with Kennedy though that was a psychic attack.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Zelia Edgar is cool and has been making videos for ages with no love and deserves it.
https://www.youtube.com/@JustAnotherTinFoilHat/videos

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a trailer for an upcoming movie about a famous cryptozoological case, Gef the Talking Mongoose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUa8R9oRu0

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ok that looks terrible, but a bunch of fun. Simon Pegg doing his best Christophe Waltz impression! Christopher Lloyd! Neil Gaiman?!

Gef the talking mongoose is such an odd case, because on the face of it, it’s clearly a fraud. But people seemed so willing to believe in it despite all the obvious to the contrary. I remember reading about it as a kid and even then I was “how did people fall for this??”

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The_Doctor posted:

Ok that looks terrible, but a bunch of fun. Simon Pegg doing his best Christophe Waltz impression! Christopher Lloyd! Neil Gaiman?!

Gef the talking mongoose is such an odd case, because on the face of it, it’s clearly a fraud. But people seemed so willing to believe in it despite all the obvious to the contrary. I remember reading about it as a kid and even then I was “how did people fall for this??”

The same way people fall for anything else: gaslighting themselves into believing there is wonder/intrigue in the world as an escapist fantasy from the brutal hell of a banal, pointless existence.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

SkeletonHero posted:

The same way people fall for anything else: gaslighting themselves into believing there is wonder/intrigue in the world as an escapist fantasy from the brutal hell of a banal, pointless existence.

And the void has stared back at me.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

Hell, I prefer this fraud to another movie lionizing the loving Warrens at least.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

mycatscrimes posted:

Hell, I prefer this fraud to another movie lionizing the loving Warrens at least.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
ABC (Alien Big Cat) spotted in Germany

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1681899247803703296
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66254908

None of the local zoos or circuses are missing a lion, it could just turn out to be a large, tan-colored dog :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

ABC (Alien Big Cat) spotted in Germany

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1681899247803703296
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66254908

None of the local zoos or circuses are missing a lion, it could just turn out to be a large, tan-colored dog :shrug:

I was just thinking of trying to track this story down to post here. I'm definitely not wanting to claim what it is or isn't, but its head looks way more like a lion at the end of that video than I would've expected. I wonder if there's any chance some rich large animal owner could've lost one somehow, hopefully they'll actually find it to have some closure.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

Police spokesperson Daniel Keip told RBB that "in the summer you often hear reports of crocodiles in swimming lakes and then it turns out all it was, was a big duck."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Strange how it cuts off on the exact frame before you'd be able to identify it :raise:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean it's not like pet lions are unheard of, especially unreported ones.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean it's not like pet lions are unheard of, especially unreported ones.

One of my dad's friend lived in a trailer with a 10 foot backyard fence they kept a full grown lion in. I wish I had a copy of their epic family photo of a large redneck family in denim with a bigass lion laid out in front of them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cryptids & Conspiracies: turns out all it was, was a big duck

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cryptids & Conspiracies: turns out all it was, was a big duck

No wonder it's so big, eating all those tourists and what not.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

At least in the American south there are a huge number of legally and illegally cages pet lions. Not sure about Germany.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's also a slight chance it could be a CG hoax, there's a computer animation college in Canada where one of the course projects is to create a fake viral video such as the video of a golden eagle snatching a baby in a park from a few years back

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah i was going to say it does look off to me but i am not really a CG person so i dunno if I am just reading into things.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

2 cops have seen it, too, according to the news yesterday. It's definitely a lioness

The Berlin suburbs are literally in lockdown

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Amphigory posted:

2 cops have seen it, too, according to the news yesterday. It's definitely a lioness

oh yikes lol.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The_Doctor posted:

Exactly. It's such a lazy, low energy fraud. And it's not like Gef had any inspirational or clever message to impart, had a dramatic story, or aligned with any appealling beliefs. It's an unconvincing mongoose that talks rubbish. Why this case embedded itself in forteana is a mystery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Amphigory posted:

Don't forget that the good ol' Loveland Frog was originally sighted & reported by a police officer, it turned out to be an iguana with a missing tail

There's also been several instances in the UK where the police have mobilized dozens of officers and helicopters in response to a report of a tiger on the loose only for them to discover it was a stuffed toy or a lifesize garden ornament

Of course sometimes they actually turned out to be a big cat that someone had secretly been keeping as a pet which escaped

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Jul 21, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

That video is the perfect cryptid video. Dark, partially covered by vegetation, just vague enough that it could be a lion or any animal of similar size.

I'm pretty sceptical, the tail of the critter in the video looks too short. I know some cops said they saw it, but cops aren't renowned for their animal identification skills.

I don't have a good guess for what it could be, though. Maybe a big calf based on the tail?? So many people armed with so many cameras should have turned up something at this point.

Winklebottom has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Jul 21, 2023

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

nonathlon posted:

Exactly. It's such a lazy, low energy fraud. And it's not like Gef had any inspirational or clever message to impart, had a dramatic story, or aligned with any appealling beliefs. It's an unconvincing mongoose that talks rubbish. Why this case embedded itself in forteana is a mystery.

It's because gef owns

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

nonathlon posted:

I'm gonna tell Gef you said this, and he'll kick your rear end.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Boring news, I’m afraid. They’ve called off the lion search. They haven’t found anything but suspect it is a boar based on the tail and curve of the back.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't forget that the good ol' Loveland Frog was originally sighted & reported by a police officer, it turned out to be an iguana with a missing tail

There's also been several instances in the UK where the police have mobilized dozens of officers and helicopters in response to a report of a tiger on the loose only for them to discover it was a stuffed toy or a lifesize garden ornament

Of course sometimes they actually turned out to be a big cat that someone had secretly been keeping as a pet which escaped

I believe in the Loveland Frog wizards, they obviously cast disguise self to look like iguanas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Don't take the Berlin Lioness away from me!

Boooo!