Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

oh good! i thought things were happening for a second. back to what actually matters
I accidentally opened the thread without having read today's comic, saw this, and an image of the most recent page flashed into my mind with genuinely eerie accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gunnerkrigg Court: i thought things were happening for a second.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Gunnerkrigg Court has actually managed to make Coyote suck so honestly who gaf what happens from here on out

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GunnerJ posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court has actually managed to make Coyote suck so honestly who gaf what happens from here on out

I give a gently caress. I want this trash fire to fill the heavens with toxic smog. I want it to get bad

Hilariously bad. Only then will my dread curse on webcomics be broken.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GunnerJ posted:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

GunnerJ posted:

I'm predicting a Dragonball Z fight between Loup and Coyote, with every other character in the comic going :o in the background. Annie will make at least one comment on Loup's skyrocketing power level.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Dammerung posted:

I'm predicting a Dragonball Z fight between Loup and Coyote, with every other character in the comic going :o in the background. Annie will make at least one comment on Loup's skyrocketing power level.

oh my god

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Tiny Myers posted:

oh good! i thought things were happening for a second. back to what actually matters

I really thought today would show a bit more of Coyote/Zimmy. I'm not sure why I believed something interesting would happen.

Dammerung posted:

Loooool

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This page slowly shoves Annie out of the page with every frame and it really drives home how irrelevant she's become in her own comic.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

coyote arming the anime grief bomb

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I’d love to see Kat’s reaction to one of her new humans getting eaten by an ether god and how that interacts with her prior no-sell interpretation of magic, her budding technogod status, and her hostile relationship to the forest. It’s a shame she had to return to her home planet.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I give a gently caress. I want this trash fire to fill the heavens with toxic smog. I want it to get bad

Hilariously bad. Only then will my dread curse on webcomics be broken.

ZEHAHAHAHAHAHA

i was legit wondering if coyote was just gonna become a FULL mediocre anime villain mad about the idea of love

i had a flash of him just going around to all the relationships we've seen form through the comic (hey remember when it has characters?) eating one of them and flying off

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aggretsuko had more expressive facial expressions than this

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Whenever Annie is on the screen, all the other characters should push her away.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Have Zimmy or Gamma any reason to fight Loup except as a plot resolution device? They have had literally no interaction in over a decade of narrative prior. The A-plot resolution is through a misunderstanding? And where's the other demigod, you know, Renard, during the Coyote-whips-out-his-scouter scene?

The end! No moral.

(wait, Gunnerkrigg Court started eighteen years ago? God, what a way to end such a journey)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Cavelcade posted:

Oh my God, I'm really supposed to care about his sadness.

I hope the next panel is coyote coming back to eat him.

Nah, the next panel will be him turning around and angrily blaming Annie for this happening. He'll go Angry Anime Wolf and attack her and Renard will show up out of nowhere just in time to give her the tooth so she can kill him in self defense.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

Whenever Annie is on the screen, all the other characters should push her away.

Whenever Annie's not on screen, everyone should be asking "Where's Loup?"

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
the only way this can ever be redeemed is if loup ends up getting yamcha'd. big smoking crater and all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You know, even if I liked Jarrek and Lana, this would still suck and be dumb. There's never a good time for Women in Refrigerators. Like, when Cio got got in K6BD, people were pissed at Abaddon even if they were willing to give him some slack to play with. If one of the best webcomics running can't pull off the trope without friction, then what the hell chance does Tom have? Just don't do it.

Niavmai posted:

the only way this can ever be redeemed is if loup ends up getting yamcha'd. big smoking crater and all.

This, on the other hand, is a good trope. I too hope Loup gets yamcha'd.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Kill Six Billion Demons updated today and all I can think of is

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Patware posted:

ZEHAHAHAHAHAHA

i was legit wondering if coyote was just gonna become a FULL mediocre anime villain mad about the idea of love

i had a flash of him just going around to all the relationships we've seen form through the comic (hey remember when it has characters?) eating one of them and flying off

ngl i would laugh really hard if, having been absent from the comic for like ten years or something, coyote just flies up to janet and winsbury and eats one of them randomly and then flies off

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons updated today and all I can think of is

Yeah same, that was my first thought.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

DontMockMySmock posted:

ngl i would laugh really hard if, having been absent from the comic for like ten years or something, coyote just flies up to janet and winsbury and eats one of them randomly and then flies off

Coyote just Thanos'ing the universe by chomping out romantic partners.

And Yamcha'ing Loup at the end of it all, that's the most important part.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Skippy McPants posted:

You know, even if I liked Jarrek and Lana, this would still suck and be dumb. There's never a good time for Women in Refrigerators. Like, when Cio got got in K6BD, people were pissed at Abaddon even if they were willing to give him some slack to play with. If one of the best webcomics running can't pull off the trope without friction, then what the hell chance does Tom have? Just don't do it.

This, on the other hand, is a good trope. I too hope Loup gets yamcha'd.

At the very least, K6BD (spoilering cus this isn't the K6BD thread, but everyone should go read that comic anyways) gave Cio a shitton of spotlight and development - she was a real character with real depth and nuance. I still wish she hadn't died, but at the very least she got plenty of time to be a real person. Lana on the other hand pretty much existed ONLY for Loup's character development and nothing more.

I'm still not convinced either Lana or Cio are really well and truly gone forever, though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The thing with K6BD Cio was she lived a life of incredible violence and was drawn right back into it by Allison. Her death was the direct result of her life choices and the overall themes of the story about how much violence kind of really loving sucks even if it lets you punch real good

What's Lana done by comparison?? She fell "in love" with an unstable weirdo and was just friendly with the wrong person at the wrong time? Her entire narrative purpose is to be acted upon based on how that will make her bf feel.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

God this is just ... so stupid

I think of everything Gunnerkrigg used to be, all the incredibly nuanced, lovingly-established foreshadowing and tone, and I just truly don't understand how it got here. Was this really what he envisioned as the ending back when he was writing beautifully-executed chapters like The Coward Heart? I understand it's his job and all and he recently got married and had a kid, but even if he's just phoning it in at this point, as a creative I would be so ashamed to have something I made wind up this way. It's so weird and sad.

Man.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

I feel gross and disappointed that yet another thing I thought was creative, complex, and full of intriguing contradictions was actually just British.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So, where do we all agree the comic really ended?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

coolusername posted:

So, where do we all agree the comic really ended?

The final print volume ended with chapter 77, the one where they resolve the robot birds plot thread. Two chapters later the Annies are merged and then the one after that is The Mind Cage. That's probably a decently satisfying place to stop knowing what came after.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Alternatively you could just stop after Red tells Annie to gently caress off forever

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Maldraedior posted:

Alternatively you could just stop after Red tells Annie to gently caress off forever

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, if someone is behind and catching up my advice is to stop reading at whichever page they’re currently on and go find something better to do.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Maldraedior posted:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr.Radar posted:

The final print volume ended with chapter 77, the one where they resolve the robot birds plot thread. Two chapters later the Annies are merged and then the one after that is The Mind Cage. That's probably a decently satisfying place to stop knowing what came after.
Just scribble "Kat reverse engineered the time phone and used it to solve everything" on the last page.

But really in retrospect 77 is the beginning of the end. It's the first unsatisfying speedrun wrapup of a longstanding arc to make way for everyone's new favourite main characters.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mr.Radar posted:

This is probably where the downfall got really bad, but stopping there leaves a lot of plot threads left dangling and isn't really anything close to a real conclusion. I think stopping sometime shortly after beating Jeanne is good cus then at least there's a somewhat satisfying end, even though many questions are left unanswered. But hey then you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the best time to stop reading gunnerkrigg court is immediately

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Maldraedior posted:

This is basically my pretend ending. I felt the Jeanne arc had a good resolution. I really enjoyed the extra touch of Annie getting her hairclip back. I also think Red telling Annie to gently caress off could have opened her eyes to the fact that her actions have serious consequences (only to be immediately undone next chapter, as others have pointed out).

Splicer posted:

But really in retrospect 77 is the beginning of the end. It's the first unsatisfying speedrun wrapup of a longstanding arc to make way for everyone's new favourite main characters.

I looked at an old conversation about Gunnerkrigg with a friend, and I posted a screenshot of chapters 76 - 80 (Down That Road to Mind Cage) as "where poo poo started majorly sucking" lol.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Jeanne stuff was the last time a plot thread was resolved in a satisfying way, so yeah that's where I'd tell people to stop reading.

The Tic Toc resolution was the last straw for me, and where I stopped caring about GC in general. It retroactively made the comic less interesting.

I remember that my first major sticking point was the lack of fallout to The Torn Sea. As far as we know no adults ever reacted to what happened on a school sanctioned trip, which seemed sustained only by accepting "kids on adventures without adult interference" as a genre convention that shouldn't be overthought, except the very next chapter (The Tree) deliberately disavowed that convention as part of making Tony's introduction feel sufficiently traumatic. It's part of a pattern I'll dub The Quantum Donlans: Annie has adults in her life other than her dad, if-and-only-if they're needed for a specific plot beat. (This was all pre-Jeanne-ending, but acceptable compared to what came later.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I miss Doctor Disaster. I wonder what he's up to now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

The Jeanne stuff was the last time a plot thread was resolved in a satisfying way, so yeah that's where I'd tell people to stop reading.

The Tic Toc resolution was the last straw for me, and where I stopped caring about GC in general. It retroactively made the comic less interesting.

I remember that my first major sticking point was the lack of fallout to The Torn Sea. As far as we know no adults ever reacted to what happened on a school sanctioned trip, which seemed sustained only by accepting "kids on adventures without adult interference" as a genre convention that shouldn't be overthought, except the very next chapter (The Tree) deliberately disavowed that convention as part of making Tony's introduction feel sufficiently traumatic. It's part of a pattern I'll dub The Quantum Donlans: Annie has adults in her life other than her dad, if-and-only-if they're needed for a specific plot beat. (This was all pre-Jeanne-ending, but acceptable compared to what came later.)

yeah one of the things that i thought was really interesting about the donlans was they had a huge tony blindspot. they're responsible and caring but they did jack poo poo about the trauma tony was heaping on annie, and donald's attempt at "helping" her was nothing but trying to give her tony's side of the situation.

at the time i thought it was really good subtle characterization about the donlans having real bad bias about how tony used to be, rather than how he is now. "oh that's tony he's just weird and has a tough time communicating, he means well!" when he was abusing his daughter.

in retrospect that characterization may not have been intended by tom, lol