Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Have we got any software security peeps around? I’ve always been interested in it (decompiling, pen testing, etc) and I’m considering making a pivot to it because I’d like to get involved in more meaningful things. I’d be grateful to hear any takes on the topic, required reading, learning resources etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Actions also has some bizzarre and annoying inconsistencies when you get to trying to make things reusable, and the write/test loop sucks (as do most ci).

Things like the allowed types for parameters of Actions are slightly different to those of sub-actions or whatever they’re called and how they’re invoked is badly documented. Secrets and Environments are super fiddly with sub-actions for reasons that make sense for public repos but just completely suck when you’re entirely inside a locked org account.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
We're using GitHub actions to build firmware in a docker and deploy it to a bunch of local Raspis where it gets loaded into actual hardware and tested. The tests are all functional now but we're adding in power tests very soon.

We're also doing the more standard stuff like running unit tests on code, generating releases, pushing libraries to pypi.

I don't know where all that falls on the spectrum of devops work, but it's been super handy to us, and chat gpt is great at translating a sequence into yml.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Have we got any software security peeps around? I’ve always been interested in it (decompiling, pen testing, etc) and I’m considering making a pivot to it because I’d like to get involved in more meaningful things. I’d be grateful to hear any takes on the topic, required reading, learning resources etc.

I did some blue team stuff for a while. I found it exhausting because I would repeatedly spend my time working with the worst teams who would say things like "well do we have to encrypt that (SSNs)? It will take too long to make that change." And they'd spend weeks ignoring me and trying to get an exception and complain we're making them late.

From talking to various pen testers it takes a very specific mindset to do that. Since you try 10000 things with the expectation that 9999 of them will fail.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Sign posted:

From talking to various pen testers it takes a very specific mindset to do that. Since you try 10000 things with the expectation that 9999 of them will fail.
Good news, that’s how I tackle everyday life.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Sign posted:

you try 10000 things with the expectation that 9999 of them will fail.

Stop talking about my dating life

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Sign posted:

I did some blue team stuff for a while. I found it exhausting because I would repeatedly spend my time working with the worst teams who would say things like "well do we have to encrypt that (SSNs)? It will take too long to make that change." And they'd spend weeks ignoring me and trying to get an exception and complain we're making them late.

InfoSec is certainly interesting. There's innovative technology & techniques, lots of drama, many war stories. But from a job-satisfaction POV it can be disheartening because InfoSec groups are constantly having to cajole unwilling users who just see them as irritating friction. And it's worse in a company where InfoSec have no real teeth to enforce recommendations.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

minato posted:

it can be disheartening because InfoSec groups are constantly having to cajole unwilling users who just see them as irritating friction. And it's worse in a company where InfoSec have no real teeth to enforce recommendations.
Yeah, the places to at I’m currently looking at are AI places that are focused on safety / responsible usage so hopefully they’ll have some sway. That’s a fair warning if I can’t land a job in one of those places, though.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I did this for a number of years. My PhD research work was in the area of dynamic analysis, and I discovered CVEs and published papers on new techniques for finding trouble in software. I wasn't trying to pentest (which is often just running through a set of known vulnerabilities to find an exploitable point), but rather identifying new types of attacks and how to defend against them. I was doing some research work for the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) at the time, so I also had a security clearance and focused on areas of interest to the US military.

I spent a lot of time studying compilers, disassembled binaries, device drivers, OS/kernel implementation and theory, and static analysis techniques being used in linters like clang-tidy. I used tools like IDA Pro (though Ghidra is what everyone is using now) and the Firmware Analysis Toolkit. I instrumented QEMU to provide more information about software being run under emulation so that I could "taint" (mark) data originating from untrusted sources and track it as it propagated throughout the system. I combined QEMU and the AFL fuzzer to find new vulnerabilities. I researched commercial products, downloaded their firmware updates, unpacked them, and examined library versions and directory structure.

You really need to be a fan of this sort of thing to do it for a living. Some people are real fanboys of this stuff and came in to work all excited about the newest CVE they read about the night before. Those people will be your "annoying" co-workers. I focused less on that and more on reading the papers being published at security research conferences (which I enjoyed, since these were often new approaches to the problem). If you're trying to find new vulnerabilities, you'll spend a lot of time banging your head against the wall trying different techniques in an attempt to find something that may not even be there. If you're trying to pentest, then much of your day-to-day is learning the tools and techniques and running through a scripted suite of them one-by-one using something like Metasploit.

Overall, I would recommend against this line of work. It isn't as meaningful as you would think, and it is often a ton of work for what you get out of it. Even if you find something, real-world budget and schedule issues can cause your recommendations to be ignored.

Try picking up a book on Ghidra or Metasploit to get a feel for the topic area.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Yeah, the places to at I’m currently looking at are AI places that are focused on selling ai that is branded as safe / responsible so hopefully they’ll have some sway. That’s a fair warning if I can’t land a job in one of those places, though.

Added to make accurate to what I've seen so far in the space. Lots of places really really wanting to LOOK safe/ responsible, want to have that reputation to help close deals... but God help you if you find any fundamental problem in something the c suite wants done.

Ie, make sure the role is what you think, and not: "your job is to tell us all the reasons why this predetermined path we have planned is safe and responsible now go get us plausible deniability for when it blows up on us."

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
That’s lots of good stuff to think about, thanks!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

jemand posted:

Added to make accurate to what I've seen so far in the space. Lots of places really really wanting to LOOK safe/ responsible, want to have that reputation to help close deals... but God help you if you find any fundamental problem in something the c suite wants done.

Ie, make sure the role is what you think, and not: "your job is to tell us all the reasons why this predetermined path we have planned is safe and responsible now go get us plausible deniability for when it blows up on us."

This just gives me flashbacks to a decade of incident management, and that was at companies that actually mostly gave a poo poo about it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

I advance to the next round, the full day of interviews.

The hiring manager has let me know there is another "quite strong" candidate. :ohdear:

(I already knew this other candidate existed, but it is interesting to hear it from official channels. This is the reason they've been scheduling my interviews so quickly.)

I did 5 interviews on Tuesday, and received this update from the recruiter today:

the recruiter posted:

Happy Friday! I wanted to give you a quick update before the weekend is out - feedback is coming back somewhat positive.

[explanation that hiring manager's boss and director are both on vacation, please sit tight for 2 weeks]

So that's good, I guess? But lol at "somewhat positive".

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Always take what the recruiter says with a grain of salt. On one occasion after speaking to a startups cofounders, a recruiter told me they “couldn’t have been more impressed with me” and I still didn’t get the job.

What’s more important (imo, I am not a recruiter) is how fast they say it. If they respond slow, they’re either not interested or disorganized, and neither are a good sign.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I have 0 insight here but if it was me I'd take "somewhat positive" to mean you're in the running but not their first choice candidate.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering if they're just stringing me along for 2 weeks in case the other guy falls through while waiting for the big boss to show up.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Always take what the recruiter says with a grain of salt. On one occasion after speaking to a startups cofounders, a recruiter told me they “couldn’t have been more impressed with me” and I still didn’t get the job.

What’s more important (imo, I am not a recruiter) is how fast they say it. If they respond slow, they’re either not interested or disorganized, and neither are a good sign.

I once had an internal recruiter tell me that they really liked me but the team was dealing with some deadlines so they didn't have time to do a debrief yet. I didn't get the job in the end, I assume they were waiting for another candidate that they liked more than me to sign and they were just keeping me in reserve.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've found trying to divine the truth behind recruiter statements to be both unproductive and bad for my mental health.

Just keep applying to new positions until you have an offer you want to accept. Worst case, you get two great offers and can leverage them against each other to get an even better compensation package.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, getting emotionally invested in a particular opening is a bad idea, especially right now. Way too much competition for jobs, the odds are against any specific one panning out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ensign Expendable posted:

I once had an internal recruiter tell me that they really liked me but the team was dealing with some deadlines so they didn't have time to do a debrief yet. I didn't get the job in the end, I assume they were waiting for another candidate that they liked more than me to sign and they were just keeping me in reserve.
Yeah, whenever you start getting delays and mixed signals after a seemingly successful interview, it's because you aren't the first choice. They're currently offering/negotiating with their first choice, and they're stringing you along as a backup in case they can't come to terms with their first choice. Just shrug and keep on applying and interviewing.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

FMguru posted:

Yeah, whenever you start getting delays and mixed signals after a seemingly successful interview, it's because you aren't the first choice. They're currently offering/negotiating with their first choice, and they're stringing you along as a backup in case they can't come to terms with their first choice. Just shrug and keep on applying and interviewing.

The one that's annoying is after a coding test. Because either they don't like you for it, or the person they have reviewing it just keeps pushing it off.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There is enough to hiring beyond "are you the best person for the job" that you really shouldn't put any weight on one job. How is the company's internal budget and strategy? Does the posting match what they really want? Can the people in the hiring chain make a decision?

I just had a phone screen get pushed by 1.5 weeks due to a conflict and vacation, which is sure, maybe. If the reschedule gets pushed off its definitely a no thanks.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Hello,

The company I'm working for (mortgage/finance industry) has offered buyouts for everyone/all avenues of business not just engineers. I'd get ~20 weeks of pay, PTO, stock RSUs accelerated, keep health insurance for a bit, and have my last day in August.

Reasons I'd want to take it.
  • Well the upfront money
  • I've been here over a decade and maybe a change would be good for me
  • Hypothetically 17 years in this business might look good and maybe finding a new job won't be so hard

Reasons I wouldn't.
  • No guarantees finding a job and I own a house and it's a bit scary
  • I hate/am a poor interviewer + some self-worth issues has me already doing the thought loops where I defeat myself before I try
  • I have not interviewed in so long I'm not even sure if I have a desirable skill set (strongest in C#, worked on Anular/TS/JS projects but not an expert, I can do a cicd pipeline, all of our projects are in aws or azure, I can write a stored procedure)
  • I currently work remotely full time and that has become so important to me that if I can not find that in a new job it would be preferable to risk not taking the buyout and being let go at a later date if I could not find a fully remote job

I'm not looking for anyone to decide for me, just if anyone has a better idea of the market or has experienced a buyout before.

Argh.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

moctopus posted:

Hello,

The company I'm working for (mortgage/finance industry) has offered buyouts for everyone/all avenues of business not just engineers. I'd get ~20 weeks of pay, PTO, stock RSUs accelerated, keep health insurance for a bit, and have my last day in August.

Reasons I'd want to take it.
  • Well the upfront money
  • I've been here over a decade and maybe a change would be good for me
  • Hypothetically 17 years in this business might look good and maybe finding a new job won't be so hard

Reasons I wouldn't.
  • I hate/am a poor interviewer + some self-worth issues has me already doing the thought loops where I defeat myself before I try
  • I have not interviewed in so long I'm not even sure if I have a desirable skill set (strongest in C#, worked on Anular/TS/JS projects but not an expert, I can do a cicd pipeline, all of our projects are in aws or azure, I can write a stored procedure)
  • I currently work remotely full time and that has become so important to me that if I can not find that in a new job it would be preferable to risk not taking the buyout and being let go at a later date if I could not find a fully remote job

I'm not looking for anyone to decide for me, just if anyone has a better idea of the market or has experienced a buyout before.

Argh.

What guarantee of continued employment or favorable terms of leaving do you have if you don't take the buyout?

The job market is still sorting itself out since the layoffs a bit ago. It's not impossible to get a job, but it isn't as easy as it was 2-3 years ago.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

leper khan posted:

What guarantee of continued employment or favorable terms of leaving do you have if you don't take the buyout?

The job market is still sorting itself out since the layoffs a bit ago. It's not impossible to get a job, but it isn't as easy as it was 2-3 years ago.

None. And they aren't saying what percentage of workforce they want gone or specifics about positions. They have said this is the most generous package they will offer though. Getting the package isn't even a guarantee, you have to apply.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like you’re gonna be job hunting no matter what.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Can you maybe get an offer from somewhere else before you decide?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I can try, but the decision to apply is due Wednesday.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
20 weeks of pay plus the RSUs getting accelerated and you'll probably be fine, maybe even get to double dip that with the new salary. The job market isn't what it was back in 2021, but it isn't impossible. It sounds as others said you might want to be looking regardless.

moctopus posted:

Getting the package isn't even a guarantee, you have to apply.

This would make me antsy to be honest. If it isn't a total bullshit trap where nobody gets the buyout, you'd think an engineer with 10 years at the company would meet whatever qualifications they want for the buyout, but you never know unless they publish that stuff. Personally I'd apply for it and start looking for a new job.

As for your skill set C# and Angular is a very common skill set, there's plenty of jobs with that exact combination as the primary requirements. You could also easily branch to Java since they are very similar languages. Don't be afraid to jump stacks when looking at jobs, in fact it's nice to have at least one switch on there imo. Remote is the only more difficult part, if you've been remote since prior to COVID I'd say it's actually still better than it was back then, but you still face the problem that decent remote jobs tend to get a very large pool of applicants compared to others.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

moctopus posted:

Reasons I wouldn't.

Look at your financial picture and figure out how long your savings + buyout + any unemployment will last. I'd also suggest reaching out to local people in your network and asking if you can get a cup of coffee to talk about your job search. Practicing talking about yourself and getting feedback on how you're presenting your job history and projects will help your interviewing skills in a way posting will not. Plus, putting yourself as a job seeker front and center in their minds will help them think of you if they run across any opportunities.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
20 weeks is a very generous package, C#/Angular is a marketable skillset, and since RSU's are involved, I'm going to assume it's a known company where 10 years in place is not going to be a drag. 10 years also means that you're probably underpaid from market rate by a good bit.

There's no guarantees, but most devs I've talked to with my 2 open positions (mobile), have been on the market for < 4 weeks and have multiple interviews/offers on the table. Won out in one multiple-offer scenario, find out today if we win the other. IC market is still churning pretty well for 5+ YOE.

Biggest risk is if you're on the older side for a goon. Age is a protected class, yes, but that doesn't make it any easier for someone 50+ to land an IC role.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the thought of working in C#.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
When I interviewed with a name-brand fintech a few years back, I ended up doing my interview in C# even though I hadn't programmed in it for a solid 7-8 years by that point. It's just really good at concisely dealing with certain kinds of problems

The company I work for now also does a lot of C#, and I haven't touched it once here :mad:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
C# is my favorite language. I work in Go now and I miss C# constantly when I run into dumb Go BS.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Thank you everyone for responding. Just typing it out and reading the responses kind of makes me feel better I think. I'm beginning to lean towards taking the offer.

wilderthanmild posted:

This would make me antsy to be honest. If it isn't a total bullshit trap where nobody gets the buyout, you'd think an engineer with 10 years at the company would meet whatever qualifications they want for the buyout, but you never know unless they publish that stuff. Personally I'd apply for it and start looking for a new job.

I think this has more to do with them not wanting to lose absolutely-mission-critical-can't-be-replaced type people. Although it would still be crummy to deny anyone for any reason.

Coco13 posted:

Look at your financial picture and figure out how long your savings + buyout + any unemployment will last. I'd also suggest reaching out to local people in your network and asking if you can get a cup of coffee to talk about your job search. Practicing talking about yourself and getting feedback on how you're presenting your job history and projects will help your interviewing skills in a way posting will not. Plus, putting yourself as a job seeker front and center in their minds will help them think of you if they run across any opportunities.

They are also including covering the cost of 3 months of cost for "career transition services" which is supposed to help you with things like interviews/resumes. I could probably survive comfortably for 6+ months.

kayakyakr posted:

20 weeks is a very generous package, C#/Angular is a marketable skillset, and since RSU's are involved, I'm going to assume it's a known company where 10 years in place is not going to be a drag. 10 years also means that you're probably underpaid from market rate by a good bit.

I'm pretty sure I am. Last time I posted in here was about that and it was pretty eye opening.

kayakyakr posted:

Biggest risk is if you're on the older side for a goon. Age is a protected class, yes, but that doesn't make it any easier for someone 50+ to land an IC role.

I'm 37 which I think isn't too bad.

Pollyanna posted:

It's a dream. The only language I like more is F#.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

moctopus posted:

I'm pretty sure I am. Last time I posted in here was about that and it was pretty eye opening.

FWIW I looked at your previous post and yes. I am in a very similar market(Cleveland) and I'm pretty sure you can get at least a 20% bump with minimal effort, more if you're willing to look hard and maybe as much as a 100% bump if you get a job with an out of state employer who doesn't care to adjust salaries regionally. That last one is pretty rare though, especially lately.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
20% minimum effort, doubleish if you move to even a marginal figgieland, 2.5x if you move and try hard

actually getting the job is kinda bad compared to 2 years ago where they were handing out jobs at the job tree for any toucher, but its also not as bad as 6 months ago even

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 24, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the thought of working

thats hosed up pollyanna

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

As a Python dev there's some parts I like a lot better, but boy there's some parts I miss about C#; I'd have zero concerns about working with it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

thats hosed up pollyanna

Oh gently caress you’re right :negative: