Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I agree that post blanking is bad unless there's a PII issue or something like that. IKs probing people for acting like assholes is a job well done, though, and imo it's extremely bad form to post like that and then run off to complain when you get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

welcome posted:

This is broader than GBS feedback but it's getting talked about here so: why does anyone give a crap about IKs editing posts, let alone call for their immediate death over it.

its a sign of unfunny power tripping and because there is no way to recover edited posts it also makes moderating harder and can be abused to hide away lovely behavior like fritz had done for cinci

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Editing people's posts for any other reason than to remove dangerous or inappropriate content is not okay at all. (and an explanation should be edited in and/or a record made of what was changed) This has been brought up a few times now and the IKs have been informed in the past that this is unacceptable behaviour. I'll discuss with the other mods about possibly writing up some guidelines for current and any new IKs just so we can make sure this doesn't happen again. I hate the idea of having to do it because IKs are supposed to be low stakes but given that post editing can be easily abused; I think it's necessary to set something up.

What do you guys think?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Solefald posted:

Editing people's posts for any other reason than to remove dangerous or inappropriate content is not okay at all. (and an explanation should be edited in and/or a record made of what was changed) This has been brought up a few times now and the IKs have been informed in the past that this is unacceptable behaviour. I'll discuss with the other mods about possibly writing up some guidelines for current and any new IKs just so we can make sure this doesn't happen again. I hate the idea of having to do it because IKs are supposed to be low stakes but given that post editing can be easily abused; I think it's necessary to set something up.

What do you guys think?

make the red warning text even bigger imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

this came up recently in SAD, and the specific text of an edited post isn't saved i think. i do remember that at least jeff and astral can always check who specifically edited the post tho. might have been just admins in general, but that bit came up months ago so i can't remember the specifics from that time.

Admins can see who last edited a post, which means we can see which mod or IK did an edit where most users just see "somebody edited this post", but the actual text of a pre-edit post is not saved.

surc posted:

Also except doxxing/other truly extreme poo poo it's always an extremely blatant abuse of power to go in and change the record of what somebody else said. Like nobody's getting mad at IKs for going in and de-inlining shock images or anything.

Yeah, this is the thing. There are some cases where it's good for IKs to edit posts, like breaking an inline image that should be linked instead, or adding spoiler tags in a thread about a movie or whatever. They should only be fully removing the content of a post if it's really bad, like doxxing, and those cases are really rare. What Nix Panicus posted is very far from the level of needing to be removed, and removing it and then giving a sixer for the post is worse than that because it lets everybody fill in the gaps with something worse than what was actually there, which was apparently just a quote of the other thread IK inviting contributions from posters just like Nix Panicus. You don't have to get into the weeds of whatever politics argument was happening or relitigate sixers to know that blanking the post was a bad decision.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its a sign of unfunny power tripping and because there is no way to recover edited posts it also makes moderating harder and can be abused to hide away lovely behavior like fritz had done for cinci

Just to clarify here, the post Fritz edited had a thread title blaming cinci and post content that accused a different poster (not a mod) of doxxing with no evidence. Fritz left the title referencing cinci intact but removed the post content and replaced it with :cheers:. And that's a perfect example of why you don't edit posts like that, because now nobody remembers that the post and title were different and filling in the gaps based on what's left leads to the wrong answer.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I sympathize for iks with less experience because the rules about when to edit posts aren't made clear to everyone. Depending on how and when and by who you got ik'd maybe the seriousness of that rule was made clear to you or maybe not. I can think back to instances where even full mods abused this.

Anyways, there are always valid reasons to edit posts, like unsafe or nws content, but the one reason I would never edit a post and assume common sense would kick in to stop it is just to punish someone I am personally angry at. Explain the rules better to iks or whatever but come on lol. Should be obvious.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think post blanking isn't a big deal, and the concerns here are overblown.

Are IKs, mods, admins customer service agents, or social media "experts?" If the former, sure, don't gently caress with the paying customer unless they break the TOS. If the latter, they would know best on what posts disrupt the flow of a thread.

Imo it's a bit of both. If i pay 10 bucks for someone's red text, unless it breaks rules, don't you dare blank or remove what I paid for. If a post is dogshit that fucks a thread, blank it.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

speng31b posted:

I sympathize for iks with less experience because the rules about when to edit posts aren't made clear to everyone. Depending on how and when and by who you got ik'd maybe the seriousness of that rule was made clear to you or maybe not. I can think back to instances where even full mods abused this.

Anyways, there are always valid reasons to edit posts, like unsafe or nws content, but the one reason I would never edit a post and assume common sense would kick in to stop it is just to punish someone I am personally angry at. Explain the rules better to iks or whatever but come on lol. Should be obvious.

Oh deffo, when I was made IK I wasn't told anything about rules surrounding post editing and only really knew about it when it blew up a couple of months ago over an IK making a silly edit. Deffo needs to be made more clear going forward.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Solefald posted:

Oh deffo, when I was made IK I wasn't told anything about rules surrounding post editing and only really knew about it when it blew up a couple of months ago over an IK making a silly edit. Deffo needs to be made more clear going forward.

Iirc when I first posted in a particular subforum, i found my posts disappearing. I DM'd a mod/IK about it, and they told me my posts were bad so they removed them. Yeah fair enough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"my posts are so bad that they were removed for the health of the forum" is perhaps not making your side of the discussion sound more reasonable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Iirc when I first posted in a particular subforum, i found my posts disappearing. I DM'd a mod/IK about it, and they told me my posts were bad so they removed them. Yeah fair enough.
they should keep doing this to this guy specifically

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it's not fair to anyone who isnt posting messed up stuff to have their words altered or wiped. im more than certain THIS USER WAS MADE TO gently caress OFF under a problem post is more than enough for most issues and im surprised to read some in this thread argue it doesnt matter

probe me, kill me, release me, but leave the history

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Solefald posted:

Yes, but commie was a mod before. They know it's not okay.

E: this isn't even about the content, it's just blatant poo poo stirring for no reason except a power trip. The precedent has been set numerous times.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 21, 2023

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

cumpantry posted:

it's not fair to anyone who isnt posting messed up stuff to have their words altered or wiped. im more than certain THIS USER WAS MADE TO gently caress OFF under a problem post is more than enough for most issues and im surprised to read some in this thread argue it doesnt matter

probe me, kill me, release me, but leave the history

Pretty much this, just edit in a big disclaimer saying anyone quoting or talking about the post is gonna get hit by twice the probe the original post earned.

The entire point the post in question got wiped was becsuse it was trying to stoke gbs/cspam rivalry to some extent (i didnt see it so dont know to what level) and the iks understandably didn't want that to blow up in the Ukraine thread again.

So it was wiped with good intentions but in doing so the reason it was removed was also wiped.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
At least they signed their name to it instead of the anonymouse somebody hosed arount with this message thing

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm shocked a former toxic D&D mod did this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Not going to litigate any of the politics poo poo, but an IK blanking a post because they personally didn't like it should be, and historically has been, immediate removal of buttons. Especially when the IK in question is a former mod who definitely knows better.

Going back but yes this is bad and we will be removing him for this

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fluffdaddy posted:

Legitimate thank you.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Good call, that was extremely lovely and I was gonna type a big effort post about it lol

Also def don't do the buttons for every OP thing whoever suggested upthread since that's just likely to encourage a pursuit of superstardom but I think the ik shuffle on thread reboot that was also mentioned is a legitimately good idea

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 21, 2023

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Steadiman posted:

At least they signed their name to it instead of the anonymouse somebody hosed arount with this message thing

Pretty sure IKs and mods can't do the anonymous version - just admins.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Fluffdaddy posted:

:toot:

iwentdoodie posted:

Yes, but commie was a mod before. They know it's not okay.

E: this isn't even about the content, it's just blatant poo poo stirring for no reason except a power trip. The precedent has been set numerous times.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound dismissive of people's concerns regarding what Commie did (although, I wasn't aware they'd been a Mod before! Not good.). I was just saying what I would like to go going forward to avoid any issues with future IKs as in my experience it had never been communicated properly. :3:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Complete_Cynic posted:

Pretty sure IKs and mods can't do the anonymous version - just admins.

All cases are anon from the poster standpoint, but admins can tell who edited it I believe. If you want to sign your work for the public, you have to remember to type "ik edit: (reason goes here)" into the post while editing it. And the standard practice for mods is to keep a copy of the pre edit post for records in the mod forum, but since IKs can't access that we just keep a screenshot or something usually (assuming someone bothered to tell us about that policy, which most IKs don't know about)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So who is going to replace commiegir in the ukraine thread? Its already been shown fairly consistently it does need a few IKs to keep coverage of it consistent to stop it getting shitted up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I will be taking over with immediate effect.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Fluffdaddy posted:

A mod just indicated they were never told they can't do that. And none of the mods who commented said he needed to be removed. It seems pointlessly drastic to remove him over this.

Also they didn't remove it "because they didn't like it" but presumably to avoid drama/derailing the thread etc. Whether that is right or wrong policy is a different matter but it wasn't some nefarious reason.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 21, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont think you should have to be told to not abuse your power

but i also dont post in that thread

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Schweinhund posted:

A mod just indicated they were never told they can't do that. And none of the mods who commented said he needed to be removed. It seems pointlessly drastic to remove him over this.

No. I said I wasn't told when I first became an IK but was made aware once it first was brought up in SAD a couple of months ago, I'm pretty sure all IKs were told after that and AGAIN more recently as I'm sure there had been another concern about it. CommieGIR should have known what the policy was at the point of him making that edit.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Schweinhund posted:

Also they didn't remove it "because they didn't like it" but presumably to avoid drama/derailing the thread etc. Whether that is right or wrong policy is a different matter but it wasn't some nefarious reason.

Losing an Idiot Crown is not and never will be drastic

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

congratulations to Lovely Joe Stalin on their new role as thread IK

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I will be taking over with immediate effect.

I don't think Joe here has the best history with Ukraine.

[This is not a forums war comment, but a history joke]

Solefald posted:

No. I said I wasn't told when I first became an IK but was made aware once it first was brought up in SAD a couple of months ago, I'm pretty sure all IKs were told after that and AGAIN more recently as I'm sure there had been another concern about it. CommieGIR should have known what the policy was at the point of him making that edit.

It also came up in the last feedback thread when Smugworth edited a post, I think.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Schweinhund posted:

if you have to be told you shouldn't edit other peoples posts because you dont like them then you shouldn't have power over anyone or anything

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

Also they didn't remove it "because they didn't like it" but presumably to avoid drama/derailing the thread etc.

Even if the intentions were good that is not really an IK's job. Erasing the posting record to prevent future drama crimes is out of bounds, and if that isn't clear enough to people now we should do an announcement or something.

As an IK or even mod the worst attitude you can have is that somehow you are personally accountable to control the behavior of posters. You need to just post normally and use probes or bans for bad posts. That's it.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Yeah at most add a little IK/mod note at the bottom of the offending post but outside of stuff like doxxing or something just leave it be (and even then make a note of that reason in the edit so there's no ambiguity on why it was edited). I feel this shouldn't be a difficult guideline to implement.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Fluffydaddy I'll PM you about suggestions for a replacement IK in the Ukraine thread. The other mods and forum-wide IKs do a good job in general with helping but it'd be nice to have another dedicated IK

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

Why are you removing them? They were a good IK for that thread and blanking the post wasn’t done for any malicious reason. Did they say they were going to keep blanking posts?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why are you removing them? They were a good IK for that thread and blanking the post wasn’t done for any malicious reason. Did they say they were going to keep blanking posts?

Because you don't blank posts? This isn't hard to understand. If this was a mod they would be demodded and if this was an admin they'd be deadminned.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

they should keep doing this to this guy specifically

What's your problem then?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

cumpantry posted:

i dont think you should have to be told to not abuse your power

but i also dont post in that thread

If a post was blanked to avoid a derail or drama, it wasn't abuse. Why the hyperbole? None of this is a big loving deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's better to let posts stay as a historical record so long as it's not illegal. The post that got blanked was sort of targeting me but it was stupid, not illegal. Let the stupid post show.