Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Funniest thing he could do is win though.

What is his path to victory? Someone accidentally leaving a banana peel in the cage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Scapegoat posted:

What is his path to victory? Someone accidentally leaving a banana peel in the cage?

Izzy getting hurt and getting Brad Tavares as a replacement for an interim championship.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Scapegoat posted:

There has been skateboards and ice in the cage before, banana peels aren't unreasonable.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I feel like Strickland/Izzy could end up a bit like Bisping/Silva which worries me.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my second part on the history of VACANT is available if you want to see how y7ou can get cte from just watching the sport

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037048&pagenumber=1#post533328125

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brut posted:

You can be mad at individual people for their specific behavior and the words they say, but please cut this poo poo out.

lmao, just lol @ this

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Scapegoat posted:

There really isn't one that I can see. Israel really is playing chess when it comes to striking and everyone else is playing checkers.

The only thing I can see is if Strickland went full rediculous heel and got izzy just that worked up he tries to go punch for a punch and gets starched with a lucky one.

But for all his stupidity and cringe nature and dumb bigoted ranting Izzy is petty good at remaining calm and focussed despite everything around him on game day and I don't see it going that way.

I think adesenya drops him a couple times in the first and puts him out cold in the second and I'll probably chuck a tenner on it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Fights in 30 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCnpaPe4Z5E

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

thought of this and laughed

this too
https://twitter.com/TheArtOfWar6/status/1681688650046754818

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Another fun ONE Friday fights card is on right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCnpaPe4Z5E .

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Cartoon car zoom as that ref goes past

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

lmao I've never seen than, that's great.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Cyber Dog posted:

Another fun ONE Friday fights card is on right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCnpaPe4Z5E .

Siasarani / Satanfah was a wild first round

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Glover and Pereira wrestled in a river for some reason. Besides this being generally strange, Pereira is also so much bigger than Glover.

E: forgot the link https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cu2Y4wktn-7/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 21, 2023

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I know Thailand does child fights or whatever, but just curious about the ages in this fight. 17 vs 27. Not sure if there's a month cutoff or if 17 is an adult there or it's just a big shrug and that's muay thai baby

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Siasarani vs Satanfah was a banger.
Be sure to catch that one

coathat
May 21, 2007

moctopus posted:

I know Thailand does child fights or whatever, but just curious about the ages in this fight. 17 vs 27. Not sure if there's a month cutoff or if 17 is an adult there or it's just a big shrug and that's muay thai baby

The youngest i've seen on ONE was 16 and he beat the poo poo out of the 19 year old he fought

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trillhouse posted:

thought of this and laughed

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
drat I love Muay Thai, this is great.

coathat
May 21, 2007

4 ounce muay thai is the greatest combat sport

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

coathat posted:

I don't want to just empty quote, but goddamn is this true

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

coathat posted:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I don't want to just empty quote, but goddamn is this true

empty quoting isn't a crime

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's the link to the best fight in case you missed it:
Mohammed Siasarani vs. “The Southern Assassin” Satanfah (112-27) (MT 155) 1:46:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCnpaPe4Z5E&t=6370

And here's the post on the rest of the show: https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-26-2023-07-21

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

coathat posted:

The youngest i've seen on ONE was 16 and he beat the poo poo out of the 19 year old he fought

Wasn't there like a 15 year old girl who fought a woman? I think that's where we got the incredible "she is a fairly strong child, so I will defeat her without mercy" thread title

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

chaleski posted:

"she is a fairly strong child, so I will defeat her without mercy"

'cellar door' or whatever can go gently caress itself

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

When I was in Thailand they had kids as young as like 10 fighting on the undercard. Then teenagers and then actual adults. I think the main event was a french dude who got knocked dead by an Australian. It's like soccer or rugby over there and kids competing is as normal as any other sport.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I knew I had written something about this previously, just had to find it. In my preview for RISE 164 back in January, I wrote this based on what I found in my research:

Both RISE champions are taking on Thai fighters from the Boomdeksian gym, Osaki facing Mangkon and Tamaru facing 17-year-old Khunsuknoi. The Boomdeksian gym was founded by Boom Dek Sian, who is described as a “veteran gambler” and appears on the Netflix Muay Thai documentary series “Hurts Like Hell” in the gambling episode. The gym also appears in articles talking about the many fighting children it produces, most famously twin boys Yodpet Ek and Yodpet Oh, who started boxing at age 7. Yodpet Ek, by the end of 2022 when he was 13 years old, had a record of 70-9-2.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

BlindSite posted:

When I was in Thailand they had kids as young as like 10 fighting on the undercard. Then teenagers and then actual adults. I think the main event was a french dude who got knocked dead by an Australian. It's like soccer or rugby over there and kids competing is as normal as any other sport.

Except a lot of those kids have to fight to make money for their families and research shows children Thai fighters have significantly lower cognitive function than Thai children who don't get punched in the head 3 times a week

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Except a lot of those kids have to fight to make money for their families and research shows children Thai fighters have significantly lower cognitive function than Thai children who don't get punched in the head 3 times a week

I wasn't endorsing it as a great way to get your kids active. I was pointing out it's common in Thailand in response to someone asking about it. My phrasing in my last sentence could have been better but I'm phone posting in bed after waking up and not exactly 100% alert.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

quote:

Yamazaki, currently riding a streak of two consecutive losses, is hoping to bounce back with a win over her seventh-grade opponent – obviously making her MMA debut. “I think that it is a fairly strong child, so I will defeat her without mercy,” Yamazaki wrote. “Thank you for your support.”

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

lmao I stand corrected, she was literally 12 :wtc:

Marching Powder posted:

'cellar door' or whatever can go gently caress itself

I have no idea what this means

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

chaleski posted:

I have no idea what this means

Tolkien put “cellar door” up as the most poetic/lyrical phrase in the English language.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
:siren: UFC card tomorrow is at noon EST/9 AM PST :siren:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Tolkien put “cellar door” up as the most poetic/lyrical phrase in the English language.

Nah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonaesthetics#Cellar_door

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1682553194004529152?s=20

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 22, 2023

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yeah I'm usually borderline-unconscious after a second or so on OnlyFans too

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

I actually thought he was going for the glove touch there for a second.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yeah, definitely bit of a fake glove touch there, but personally I think you've got plenty of time to touch gloves before the round actually starts, don't like seeing it during the fight anyway (especially every loving round like some fights)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Since we're used to winding down with it each Friday morning, I want to note that there is on ONE Friday Fights next week 7/28 because it's the King's Birthday holiday in Thailand.