Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm really disappointed in the frequency of story content and I think I'm done with this. I really don't enjoy team/character building anymore and what I enjoy is presented to me in crumbs.

Honestly Genshin didn't really grab me too much the first time I tried it like the week it came out and I only came back to it like half a year down the line when I think Eula was announced as a character and I realized the characters were going to be my kind of jam and may as well give it another go now that there was more content in the game and a whole new region was coming out in a few months where I was looking to snag Ayaka and quit at the moment of lost interest. Haven't really looked back since, but being 3-4 patches behind whatever the current one is means I've basically always had something to do or engage in story/exploration wise in it. Been thinking of doing something similar with Star Rail. TBH I though it'd have a quicker Honkai 3rd like clip to the pace of story content too where every 6 weeks or so it's about 5ish hours of new stuff dropping.

boredsatellite posted:

genshin also had a lot of people quitting due to a massive drought of stuff and one of the events was the final straw if I recall

Genshin had a lot of uncreative streamers all doing the same "NoOoOoO EnD GaMe CoNtEnT YoU GuYs CoNcErNiNg" bit all at once cause some hack journalist college student intern wrote about his exchange with an automated response system or low level grunt just giving straight PR answers and everybody took it as the gospel of Da Wei, which probably gave it a lot of bad PR, but again see above for a quasi-intentional viable strategy that's worked for me not to have that problem. That games content creator network single handedly gave me a bad impression of content creators and their clickbait economy possibly for life. I only really stick to like one channel at this point anymore about Genshin stuff called Catwiththebluehat.

As for the event in question, I can't be sure of the veracity because people saying they're quitting that game all the time is like a rite of passage on social media, but it was probably last patch where there was an event themed around a Teyvat wide tournament in it's TCG mini-game which is just that, but a lot of people seemed to create a narrative that it's the absolute single worst thing ever and Mihoyo was FORCING people to play this "abomination" of a game mode, when really if you actually bothered to look into it, you could play 4 pre-made scenarios against some in game characters for primogems and you only had to clear it on the easy AI setting. That's it, but the internets version of that event is very different :lol:

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I would love it if I could grind out a week's worth of calyx on a Friday night. While we're at it, Echo of War should be free.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Where do I start that tales of fantastic event? For some reason it's not showing up for me

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's not until 1:00/13:00. Check back in about 4 hours.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hitting E6 right before a big event was probably not the brightest idea I've ever had.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Uh...quick question about the 1.2 storyline , was that the end of Dan Shu? She shows up, doesn't acknowledge her quest line, and then dies?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh nice. Yeah, it's a really good system that I'm puzzled wasn't in Genshin or this game. It also reduces the FOMO a bit, since if you can't play for a day or two it's not two days wasted completely, you can just burn through the excess stamina on another day.

forcing people to log in every day activates FOMO and gets them more stuck to the game. That said Genshin is to the point where it feels like it burns people out more than gets them stuck at this point.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Hypocrisy posted:

Uh...quick question about the 1.2 storyline , was that the end of Dan Shu? She shows up, doesn't acknowledge her quest line, and then dies?

People complained about the Dan Shu quests not flowing well, so they made them skippable this patch. I think a side effect of that is they got completely neutered in the main story.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Hypocrisy posted:

Yeah that was bizarre.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm really disappointed in the frequency of story content and I think I'm done with this. I really don't enjoy team/character building anymore and what I enjoy is presented to me in crumbs.

Something I learned with Genshin was that you need to spread out quests in Hoyo games. Your ability to play through content will always outpace their ability to produce it. I'm slowly working through Space China quests now and am nowhere close to the 1.2 content yet. Hell, I finally started the museum event last night.

But, taking a break and coming back once there's some content built up isn't a bad idea either. If you're not enjoying the grind then there's no sense in making yourself play.

Endorph posted:

forcing people to log in every day activates FOMO and gets them more stuck to the game. That said Genshin is to the point where it feels like it burns people out more than gets them stuck at this point.

Yeah, all I'm doing rn in Genshin is logging in to do my daily commissions, maybe a little TCG, and that's it. Haven't even started the summer event yet. It's not fair to Genshin to compare it to HSR (different genres, Genshin's years old now, etc), but some of the QoL improvements in HSR make doing some things in Genshin a lot more tedious now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think I'm over my honeymoon period with this game. I don't particularly enjoy character building anymore, and the story and sidequests are feeling more like a chore than anything else. That said, I have foolishly committed to getting Kafka and Fu Xuan (I don't even know what I'd do with Kafka, it's not like I've leveled Sampo), so I will be stuck in FOMO-land for another month and a half I guess.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Why not just stop playing? I don't get it.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Because no matter how bad it is, I'll still play that garbage.

Like there isn't that many games out there where I can be comfortable playing while riding the bus and I don't have to worry about what others might think of me if they happens to take a glance at my screen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Walla posted:

Why not just stop playing? I don't get it.

Because I want Kafka.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shinji2015 posted:

Something I learned with Genshin was that you need to spread out quests in Hoyo games. Your ability to play through content will always outpace their ability to produce it. I'm slowly working through Space China quests now and am nowhere close to the 1.2 content yet. Hell, I finally started the museum event last night.

But, taking a break and coming back once there's some content built up isn't a bad idea either. If you're not enjoying the grind then there's no sense in making yourself play.

Yeah, all I'm doing rn in Genshin is logging in to do my daily commissions, maybe a little TCG, and that's it. Haven't even started the summer event yet. It's not fair to Genshin to compare it to HSR (different genres, Genshin's years old now, etc), but some of the QoL improvements in HSR make doing some things in Genshin a lot more tedious now

It's something that they kind of solved in HI3, like HI3's story quests are quite a lot of content for not having an open world and just being a vn. They are released in three big chunks for chapter, each chunk can take 3~ or so hours to play depending, so you get at least 9 hours, give or take, of story content per update alongside events and everything else. It's pretty substantial. Of course it's verbose, so it depends on your tolerance of that kind of style, but I haven't really felt disappointed with a story update in HI3. Meanwhile this game has like that what felt like 2 hour story quest, and then I'll be generous and give them another hour out of Yukong's sidequest. Genshin has less raw story content but it's also got more to do in a new update as well. I dunno I was hoping that without the big zones like Genshin we would get a more substantial story, but it feels like we get less than either game right now, outside of idk the Charibert update in Genshin that was a tiny unsatisfying story update as well. I guess things requiring cutscenes, instead of just being a VN make it take longer? But I'd rather have a more substantial story with VN style than what we're currently getting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like the briefness of the story since needing to spend literal hours upon hours reading in FGO is what made me drop it. I just wish the stuff was a bit more interesting.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like the briefness of the story since needing to spend literal hours upon hours reading in FGO is what made me drop it. I just wish the stuff was a bit more interesting.

:same:

Half the reason I stopped playing arknights is that the story bits felt interminable. That’s as much a pacing issue as a verbosity issue but the end result is the same. HSR (and genshin really) giving me a chance to pause without resetting my progress is welcome.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is a fun game for me to spend 20-30 minutes on every day I don't think about it or engage much deeper than that.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Another thing I just remembered that didn't made sense to me the cloud knights couldn't advance further in the alchemy commission because of the smoke that induced Mara in the solider. There was even a line by one of the knight that mentioned that they were awfully young too. But in the previous patch the theory was that Mara was caused by excessive build up of memories, it was why they said that Vidyadhara was immune to Mara because every time they reborn, they lose all of their memories from their past life. It just doesn't add up unless theyre putting in the groundwork for a big reveal that Fuli was responsible for it in the first place in a future plot but judging by the recent writing, I highly doubt that this is the case

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I've enjoyed the story so far, but I also went in with no expectations since I haven't played any of their previous games. The setting is cool and that's what keeps me interested. That and Simulated Universe-- I love SU and if I'm bored sometimes I'll just run through it for no benefit whatsoever. I'm very pleased that another world got added.

I also have a lot of other games competing for my time right now. FFXIV even had an update at the same time as this, so that's where my focus has been. I appreciate that I can complete my daily tasks quickly and feel like I'm making a bit of progress with my team. The moment logging into a game starts feeling like a chore, I will drop it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

NeonPunk posted:

Another thing I just remembered that didn't made sense to me the cloud knights couldn't advance further in the alchemy commission because of the smoke that induced Mara in the solider. There was even a line by one of the knight that mentioned that they were awfully young too. But in the previous patch the theory was that Mara was caused by excessive build up of memories, it was why they said that Vidyadhara was immune to Mara because every time they reborn, they lose all of their memories from their past life. It just doesn't add up unless theyre putting in the groundwork for a big reveal that Fuli was responsible for it in the first place in a future plot but judging by the recent writing, I highly doubt that this is the case

I think answer is evil juice.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

NeonPunk posted:

Since it was specially made fog to induce Mara, II don't think it necessarily needs to align with theories of how Mara naturally occurs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I can barely stay awake in the evenings enough to play an hour or two of anything, so I'm extremely happy with the pace of content, myself.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

kinda funny to remember year 1 of genshin and how a lot of people were really upset how little content that game had. being a turn based jrpg really keeps the arpg/mmo people away lol.

im actually not really clear why the recent patches have been as small as they are though. i know people have speculated about covid but i think they were pretty far past covid disrupting their workflow when this came out. during the first beta it felt way more like covid had impacted them, since at that point they had only finished belobog and basically nothing was in the game while the final beta had easily 4-5x as much content in it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing they're trying to figure out the best pacing for the story that isn't HI3's Visual Novel style (which I love mind you) or Genshins style.

Edit: I do think they'd benefit a bit from copying FF14 end of patch quest bits where they have the NPC say they're lost track of the bad guy/trail or they need to wait Major characters to rest and recover and will get back to you later. I find the end of the MSQ just a bit too arbubt sometimes

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 21, 2023

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Personally, I’d like one full Express stop at a time. Companion missions and other side content from the previous stops while we’re waiting for the new one.

I’d much rather wait around with limited or even no content then effectively read half of a chapter and then wait a month for the other half to become available.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

vote_no posted:

Personally, I’d like one full Express stop at a time. Companion missions and other side content from the previous stops while we’re waiting for the new one.

I’d much rather wait around with limited or even no content then effectively read half of a chapter and then wait a month for the other half to become available.

I feel like we stopped at 80% of the Luofu, did 99% and are now just missing the lead-in to the next area..it's not even a real cliffhanger.

It's just that I don't really enjoy the Forgotten Hall and the Simulated Universe, while fun, barely got new content. It's just daily login stuff now and..I don't enjoy that anymore

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 21, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Realizing you don't care about Forgotten Hall basically liberates you to play as little as you feel like playing since that's basically where the payoff of all the limited banners and character optimization is. It's still cool to get a shiny new character you've been looking forward to, so knocking out dailies whenever you feel like it isn't bad or anything, but once you start to view the character building stuff as a drag, new characters also kind of just became another thing you have to do, so it's easier to just call it a day when you're feeling burned out and come back when there's new stuff to enjoy.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I feel like we stopped at 80% of the Luofu, did 99% and are now just missing the lead-in to the next area..it's not even a real cliffhanger.
If Genshin is anything to go by, we can expect to see a second weekly boss on the Luofu before we leave. In Genshin, the extra bosses are part of that game's equivalent of companion missions, and are always closely related to the region's backstory. Since the setup is a bit different here, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that as part of the main story instead. And that would be a good time to introduce a new Trailblazer form, too, since they didn't do it in 1.2.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, you're probably right. I kinda wanted to get Fu but..eh I'll take a break. I did spend 50€ on the game so it feels a bit bad,but...it is how it is.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Tree Reformat posted:

People complained about the Dan Shu quests not flowing well, so they made them skippable this patch. I think a side effect of that is they got completely neutered in the main story.

That's a real shame. Reading about Dan Shu's "best friend" getting blown up (along with the hospital she worked at) by Lan and her vowing revenge was probably the most interesting part of Luofu.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hypocrisy posted:

That's a real shame. Reading about Dan Shu's "best friend" getting blown up (along with the hospital she worked at) by Lan and her vowing revenge was probably the most interesting part of Luofu.

That's what I liked about the 1.1 patch. It just made everything more ambiguous and grey but with the 1.2 patch, it's just "nope, Abundance is evil straight up"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Not sure how you get "Abundance is evil" out of "It was actually a Destruction plot all along". Like, one of the big things people are complaining about with this patch is that Phantylia comes out of nowhere and robs the Luofu plot of any attempt at seriousness by coopting the Hunt vs Abundance storyline.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The bit about Tingyun felt really out of nowhere and dumb too.

Did we meet her or didn't we? Does the game explain it in 4 months? Who knows

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The bit about Tingyun felt really out of nowhere and dumb too.

Did we meet her or didn't we? Does the game explain it in 4 months? Who knows

her mask slipped a bit when the tree popped up and she went a bit elastic and crazy for a few lines, wasn’t exactly out of nowhere

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I think the number of people caught off guard by that part suggests they didn’t do a very good job of foreshadowing it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

GateOfD posted:

her mask slipped a bit when the tree popped up and she went a bit elastic and crazy for a few lines, wasn’t exactly out of nowhere

I really barely remember that happening truth be told.
That's probably on me

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

No, she was definitely acting suspicious the whole time, the problem is that the reveal itself is confusing and comes out of nowhere. Like, if Tingyun had actually been an Emanator of Abundance herself, I think that would've gone over a lot better. Her being this fire ghost spirit of Phantylia and maybe a copy of Tingyun or maybe the real one is just... weird and feels off. There was plenty of foreshadowing of Tingyun being not the person she pretends to be, but her exact identity was completely outside the realm of the player to predict.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
tingyun always had suspicious vibes but yeah the dumb part was her being a Destructo Lord instead of a medicus spy/sympathizer or whatever

goofy as hell but whatever, the new area and boss fight were cool at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zurai posted:

No, she was definitely acting suspicious the whole time, the problem is that the reveal itself is confusing and comes out of nowhere. Like, if Tingyun had actually been an Emanator of Abundance herself, I think that would've gone over a lot better. Her being this fire ghost spirit of Phantylia and maybe a copy of Tingyun or maybe the real one is just... weird and feels off. There was plenty of foreshadowing of Tingyun being not the person she pretends to be, but her exact identity was completely outside the realm of the player to predict.

nonsense, with a little deductive reasoning you could have surmised the reason why she gets targeted in battle so much was because she was secretly destruction all this time :v: