Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Sounds like someone's trying to 'innovate'. Watch out, Ravus, we got ourselves a Stockton Rush here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Warranty had gotten some equipment sent back here to HQ for analysis. Customer is having erratic, intermittent problems. Warranty guy had a vendor field support guy come in to look at it. They spent all day yesterday trying to duplicate the issue and couldn't. Oh well, it happens with these intermittent issues.

Then a different guy from the vendor, someone from corporate, starts looking at it trying to prove it's not their system. And by looking at it I mean taking things apart, ignoring me when I'm trying to get him to stop, trying to misdirect me when I ask him if he knows how to put it back together. So I call the warranty guy to get him involved. Now the warranty guy is mad at me for pulling him away from his desk. drat dude, sorry, next time I'll just let this guy tear your poo poo into a million little pieces and you can send it back to the customer in a box. Not my loving problem. I'm not the one who has to deal with the angry customer.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Sounds like someone's trying to 'innovate'. Watch out, Ravus, we got ourselves a Stockton Rush here.

So the owners took the "ask for forgiveness, not permission" idea and forgot about the part where eventually you can't do that because that's how you accidentally a while fraud with a side of embezzlement as a treat.

The $100+ on bras on the corp card are totes legit.

Salami Surgeon posted:

Then a different guy from the vendor, someone from corporate, starts looking at it trying to prove it's not their system. And by looking at it I mean taking things apart,

Sounds like he voided the warranty if he's not authorized to inspect or make changes. Even if he is part of the company. Good luck on your double broken product.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Salami Surgeon posted:

Warranty had gotten some equipment sent back here to HQ for analysis. Customer is having erratic, intermittent problems. Warranty guy had a vendor field support guy come in to look at it. They spent all day yesterday trying to duplicate the issue and couldn't. Oh well, it happens with these intermittent issues.

Then a different guy from the vendor, someone from corporate, starts looking at it trying to prove it's not their system. And by looking at it I mean taking things apart, ignoring me when I'm trying to get him to stop, trying to misdirect me when I ask him if he knows how to put it back together. So I call the warranty guy to get him involved. Now the warranty guy is mad at me for pulling him away from his desk. drat dude, sorry, next time I'll just let this guy tear your poo poo into a million little pieces and you can send it back to the customer in a box. Not my loving problem. I'm not the one who has to deal with the angry customer.

literally yes. don't work so hard bro. who gives a poo poo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If it’s not your problem and it’ll never be your problem then gently caress it just sit back and watch it fall over

Only intervene if it saves you a headache down the line

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I would personally care only enough to let the one guy know the other one is taking the equipment apart and maybe creating a headache for him. He can do what he wants with that info though, idgaf if he ignores the warning or not.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It’s hot. We’re an un-air-conditioned manufacturing plant with huge ovens so it’s about 115 on the floor. Also our uniforms are long sleeved.

So yesterday the plant manager got the idea to get popsicles for everybody and called a meeting that started 15 minutes after management is supposed to go home.

The discussion of popsicle logistics lasted close to an hour. It boiled down to Person A buy a chest freezer, person B buy popsicles before work tomorrow. But we took an hour to get there. Long discussions on popsicle types, what times to leave them out (I had to talk them out of their “don’t give third shift popsicles” plan), how often to do this.

I have to say the popsicle distribution has been a success. But at what cost (over an hour of my free time)?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Krustic posted:

Waiting for a a potluck/pizza party thing to start. My cookies will blow everyone’s else’s baked treats out of the water since I am good as gently caress at baking. Ready to flex on these nerds.

I have three cookie recipes that I sometimes rotate through when I bring them to work and they all get devoured unbelievably fast. People just don’t know the art of baking sweets

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i do not eat potlucks because i dont know how any of these people live

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Do it

Live more

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

big trivia FAIL posted:

I don't eat them because I see how they treat the kitchen and bathroom.

We don't have a trash compactor Margaret, and even if we did why do you think that upending your bowl into the sink, rinsing it off, and leaving it in the dish rack is acceptable?

Why is there toilet paper on the ceiling in the bathroom, wht don't you loving animals FLUSH THE TOILET??????

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

big trivia FAIL posted:

I avoided them like the plague at any other job I've had, but my current team does them occasionally and they're all clean freaks who lose it at the smallest about of dirt in our area, so I feel safe eating their creations.

Also my boss and one other co-worker have smokers, so one dish is almost always pulled pork or brisket chili

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you anything other than a white male? Because from where I'm sitting this sounds a lot like "we decided not to hire you once we saw you but no one wants to say why you weren't really hired."
Yeah, but knowing what I know of the guy it is totally in character in general. Picking the famous local hamburger joint was a deliberate choice.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s hot. We’re an un-air-conditioned manufacturing plant with huge ovens so it’s about 115 on the floor. Also our uniforms are long sleeved.

So yesterday the plant manager got the idea to get popsicles for everybody and called a meeting that started 15 minutes after management is supposed to go home.

The discussion of popsicle logistics lasted close to an hour. It boiled down to Person A buy a chest freezer, person B buy popsicles before work tomorrow. But we took an hour to get there. Long discussions on popsicle types, what times to leave them out (I had to talk them out of their “don’t give third shift popsicles” plan), how often to do this.

I have to say the popsicle distribution has been a success. But at what cost (over an hour of my free time)?
What kind of circus plant are you running if you don't just have chest freezers of Squinchers in every cool down area?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
edit: nm

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 3, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
edit: nm

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 3, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

zedprime posted:

What kind of circus plant are you running if you don't just have chest freezers of Squinchers in every cool down area?

In every what now?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Krustic posted:

Waiting for a a potluck/pizza party thing to start. My cookies will blow everyone’s else’s baked treats out of the water since I am good as gently caress at baking. Ready to flex on these nerds.

I signed up to run the grill next week at the summer party. I wonder if my boss is going to micromanage, nitpick, gaslight, lie, and tell me I'm grilling wrong like she does everything else.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My least favourite department keeps trying to gently caress with my team by blaming us for things that are easily and irrefutably proven to be poo poo that they did.

They’re mad that they got some buttons taken away because they kept loving things up with them, they got so salty and pissy about it that eventually my boss relented and gave the buttons back, and now they’re on a mission to prove they never should have been taken away except every time they flag something as wrong the audit trail inevitably shows it was one of their own dipshits that did it.

Hopefully I get the green light to just switch their poo poo off again soon!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

My least favourite department keeps trying to gently caress with my team by blaming us for things that are easily and irrefutably proven to be poo poo that they did.

They’re mad that they got some buttons taken away because they kept loving things up with them, they got so salty and pissy about it that eventually my boss relented and gave the buttons back, and now they’re on a mission to prove they never should have been taken away except every time they flag something as wrong the audit trail inevitably shows it was one of their own dipshits that did it.

Hopefully I get the green light to just switch their poo poo off again soon!

You're also having problems with your security department?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BigHead posted:

I signed up to run the grill next week at the summer party. I wonder if my boss is going to micromanage, nitpick, gaslight, lie, and tell me I'm grilling wrong like she does everything else.

You can gaslight up just as easily as she can gaslight down.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Re recruiting. I once flunked a job interview because my choice of hamburger toppings wasn't adventurous enough. Told me by the old friend who recommended me for the job.

Honestly, any job where my sandwich toppings are scrutinized is no job for me. So no loss.

I've been in work lunches where I saw people pull lettuce off their burgs or pick out and push to the side vegetables in a stir fry or such and I wish a hiring manager had screened them for it cause they were exactly the kind of inflexible person you'd imagine would do such a thing in public.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PoundSand posted:

I've been in work lunches where I saw people pull lettuce off their burgs or pick out and push to the side vegetables in a stir fry or such and I wish a hiring manager had screened them for it cause they were exactly the kind of inflexible person you'd imagine would do such a thing in public.

what is wrong with doing any of this in public or otherwise?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PoundSand posted:

This is dumb

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nah, there's a grain of truth in there. People who don't give a gently caress what they eat are generally easier to work with.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

Nah, there's a grain of truth in there. People who don't give a gently caress what they eat are generally easier to work with.

If they willingly eat the poo poo you put on their plate, they also probably eat the poo poo you send to their email.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There is absolutely zero correlation between not liking lettuce and being hard to work with that is an insane management brain ‘one weird trick to rank your employees teamwork tendencies’ take

I work with a dude who is fussy as gently caress to the point that I hate having to go to work lunches with him because it’s painful watching him put the wait staff through hell with his bespoke order and he’s also one of the most easy breezy no problem co-workers I’ve ever had

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you can't handle lettuce, how are you going to handle a spicy email?

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
that is a completely nonsensical and irrelevant way to judge another person's ability to work well with others

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

PoundSand posted:

I've been in work lunches where I saw people pull lettuce off their burgs
Lettuce on hot sandwiches should be banned, all it does is get soggy and nasty :colbert:

Also, if I want lettuce I'll order a fuckin' salad :colbert: :colbert:

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

SubponticatePoster posted:

Lettuce on hot sandwiches should be banned, all it does is get soggy and nasty :colbert:

Also, if I want lettuce I'll order a fuckin' salad :colbert: :colbert:

alright, nobody hire this guy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

teemolover42069 posted:

alright, nobody hire this guy.
Too late, some idiot already did!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

teemolover42069 posted:

what is wrong with doing any of this in public or otherwise?

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there but the coworkers I was referencing were quite childlike and fussy in their work interactions too. I could somewhat see the argument both ways, like you shouldn't have to put up with stuff you don't want to but if I had to make a venn diagram of "people I like to work with" and "people who turn a celebration work lunch into a logistical nightmare" there wouldn't be a lot of overlap. Flexibility is a nice trait among peers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The last dude I worked with who would get all pissy when he got lettuce and tomat on his burger and would scream "I said NO SALAD" at the waitstaff ALSO was a massive racist, a piece of poo poo to work with, had to leave work early because he poo poo his pants on a regular basis, and had full-blown crying and screaming temper tantrums well into adulthood.

So that system checks out to me, yeah.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
you don't have an issue with his food pickiness, you have an issue with how much of a little bitch he was about it. I physically gag when I sense pieces of tomato in my food, I literally cannot stop it, and so I have to pick tomatoes off my food all the time even though I order everything with no tomatoes because 'no tomatoes' is apparently some strange phrase that every restaurant in the world somehow thinks means "please put tomatoes on what I ordered". but when it happens I just pick the tomatoes off, maybe roll my eyes, move on. if someone has a huge meltdown over something stupid and tiny like that then hell yeah i wouldnt want to work with them

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's mostly an excuse to tell a funny story about an adult man routinely making GBS threads his pants, and not an actual value judgment on anyone with food sensory issues.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My job in January: "We terminated the janitorial contract, take out your own trash"

My job in July: "Why do we have so many fruit flies?"

My dudes, we're all engineers, we don't clean up after ourselves. It's one of the big stereotypes about engineers.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

teemolover42069 posted:

you don't have an issue with his food pickiness, you have an issue with how much of a little bitch he was about it. I physically gag when I sense pieces of tomato in my food, I literally cannot stop it, and so I have to pick tomatoes off my food all the time even though I order everything with no tomatoes because 'no tomatoes' is apparently some strange phrase that every restaurant in the world somehow thinks means "please put tomatoes on what I ordered". but when it happens I just pick the tomatoes off, maybe roll my eyes, move on. if someone has a huge meltdown over something stupid and tiny like that then hell yeah i wouldnt want to work with them

You're totally right people have there own aversions and it's not actually that weird to take a slice of tomato off your burger after ordering it without one, it'd be fully right to send it back at that point too. I apologize for being insensitive about it, I was trying to riff off someone who got job screened for lack of topping adventurousness which is obviously a ridiculous situation I found humorous and wanted to relate it to my own experience with picky eat colleagues but I failed to consider it was a legitimate sore spot for some and that's on me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

History Comes Inside! posted:

There is absolutely zero correlation between not liking lettuce and being hard to work with that is an insane management brain ‘one weird trick to rank your employees teamwork tendencies’ take

I work with a dude who is fussy as gently caress to the point that I hate having to go to work lunches with him because it’s painful watching him put the wait staff through hell with his bespoke order and he’s also one of the most easy breezy no problem co-workers I’ve ever had

I didn't say it was a hard and fast rule. I said generally.

If you had the choice between working with someone who was a fussy eater, and working with someone who was not a fussy eater, and you had absolutely zero additional information, which one would you choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

I didn't say it was a hard and fast rule. I said generally.

If you had the choice between working with someone who was a fussy eater, and working with someone who was not a fussy eater, and you had absolutely zero additional information, which one would you choose?
You're going to get nailed for publicizing MBA curriculum for free.