Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Zero. He had a van waiting on him and willingly jumped in. He coordinated this with them somehow.

Are there any sources for that? I haven’t seen this anywhere in the media so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FrozenVent posted:

Are there any sources for that? I haven’t seen this anywhere in the media so far.

I’m phone posting but it was a story linked here or in another thread let me see if I can find it again.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
There was a van that they put him in, I don't think it was necessarily waiting on him. A Democratic People's TMP.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mystery-swirls-us-soldier-entered-north-korea-days/story?id=101531294

quote:

One U.S. official said that after King entered North Korea, he was immediately taken away in a van. But the Pentagon says they see no reason to suspect the soldier pre-planned his crossing with the North Korean government.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If there is one nation you can believe when they say "oh no, this is just our regular people-snatching van, we've always got one there" it's North Korea.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The fact that people think that this Yahoo coordinated his dive into North Korea from a prison cell in South Korea instead of the idea that maybe North Korea just had vehicles parked there for general use it's hilarious

This is starting to remind me a lot of the ambulances don't leave hospitals saga

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CainFortea posted:

The fact that people think that this Yahoo coordinated his dive into North Korea from a prison cell in South Korea instead of the idea that maybe North Korea just had vehicles parked there for general use it's hilarious

This is starting to remind me a lot of the ambulances don't leave hospitals saga

we gotta get Jon Bois to do something with that classic

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

shame on an IGA posted:

we gotta get Jon Bois to do something with that classic

I still wanna see someone animate the f35 canadian air force/CAS marines saga

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Punished Ape posted:

There was a van that they put him in, I don't think it was necessarily waiting on him. A Democratic People's TMP.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mystery-swirls-us-soldier-entered-north-korea-days/story?id=101531294

It wasn't totally spur of the moment when he was dropped off at the airport like I was imagining but yeah.

Days later I'm still laughing out loud randomly when I think of a some tour group member suddenly going "ha HA!" and Leroy Jenkins-ing straight across the border.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
loving :lmao: all i have stuck in my head now is "goddamn it leeroy"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
when he was sentenced for assault he could of paid a $4,000 fine or go to a labor camp instead - he chose the labor camp and was there for 47 days

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

he is unlikely to get fried chicken though

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

I'm surprised, on cursory examination, how many almost entirely homogeneous nations there are. Lesotho and Togo, sure. Albania and Poland, more surprising. There are a greater percentage of Poles in Iceland than non-"Polish" in Poland?

Poland got its ethnically mixed eastern bits yoinked by Stalin after WW2 and was "compensated" with formerly German bits in the west that the German population was removed from and resettled with the Polish population from the east. Also the Nazis had previously killed all the Jews and drafted the German minorities in the prewar Polish areas, effectively partially exterminating them as well. And the Poles currently really don't like immigration. Basically the current situation is the result of multiple sets of nationalist psychos accidentally and often unintentionally working towards the same end. They should have a bunch of Ukrainians nowadays though, even before the war started.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Poland's not entirely homogenous. Kaszëbi, ślōnzŏki and górole are major ethnic groups that often get treated as just "poles" when there's Complicated History and Ambiguous Feelings on the matter

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

`Nemesis posted:

when he was sentenced for assault he could of paid a $4,000 fine or go to a labor camp instead - he chose the labor camp and was there for 47 days

you expect an E2 to be 1.) smart and 2.) have $4000?? they probably had most of their paycheck going to paying off a dodge charger at 32% APR from the deal right off base

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
just set up the same payment plan for the 4000$ fine and then the national budget is basically set for life.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Poland's not entirely homogenous. Kaszëbi, ślōnzŏki and górole are major ethnic groups that often get treated as just "poles" when there's Complicated History and Ambiguous Feelings on the matter

Probably shouldn't ignore the pogrom that happened in 1968 that according to Poles:

1. Didn't happen.
2. They totally had coming.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Polish-Jewish relations are a whole different mess; somehow, not only was Polish conduct during the holocaust impeccable, but also far-right partisans who committed documented atrocities against Jewish people both during and after the war are celebrated national heroes. Even the weakest attempt at the suggestion of a hint that some Poles may have participated in antisemitic violence will cause a great scandal among the political mainstream, especially now that the far-right Konfederacja established itself as a powerful voting bloc; wouldn't want to offend potential coalition allies, now would we?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Also Silesia has Germans and Czechs in it

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Any recs on a good resource for Polish history from 1900 to the 70s?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

"Poland in the Modern World: Beyond Martyrdom" by Brian Porter-Szucs is a good book to start with

e:

Scratch Monkey posted:

Also Silesia has Germans and Czechs in it

right, and in recent years the Ukrainian and Belarussian minorities have also grown.

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 22, 2023

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CainFortea posted:

he is unlikely to get fried chicken though

Wtf

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Another Leroy Jenkins reference. Something he said after the raid went the way you’d expect.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

He dejectedly says ‘at least I got chicken’ at the end

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Every time I'm reminded memes from my youth are lost knowledge my bones get a little dustier :corsair:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TK-42-1 posted:

He dejectedly says ‘at least I got chicken’ at the end

I always thought he said “‘least I’m not chicken”. Makes more sense in the context since their plan was only had a %33.33̅ percentage of survival anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He got chicken because he was the last member of their party to survive, Leeroy was treating it as a battle royale all along.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC he was afk getting the chicken while the raid leader was briefing everyone in the intended tactics. When he got back he performed his famous charge.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Can't wait for a slow Twitter day when some Zoomer discovers Leeroy Jenkins and we get "_______ comes to light" clickbait articles like that silliness with the John Wayne Playboy interview

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC he was afk getting the chicken while the raid leader was briefing everyone in the intended tactics. When he got back he performed his famous charge.

Wasn't the whole thing staged in the end?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

GD_American posted:

Can't wait for a slow Twitter day when some Zoomer discovers Leeroy Jenkins and we get "_______ comes to light" clickbait articles like that silliness with the John Wayne Playboy interview

yes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Explosionface posted:

Wasn't the whole thing staged in the end?

Yeah.

You can seem them practice their lines in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hmgrHohDGM

Some of the jokes would have been obvious to players at the time, like the eggs that “have given us a lot of trouble in the past” being the easiest part of the whole thing, and the leader saying that all their casters need Divine Intervention—DI prevents spellcasting.

Every one of them is wearing better gear than they would have gotten from the raid.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 23, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vengarr posted:

I always thought he said “‘least I’m not chicken”. Makes more sense in the context since their plan was only had a %33.33̅ percentage of survival anyway.

Repeating of course.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Yeah.

You can seem them practice their lines in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hmgrHohDGM

Some of the jokes would have been obvious to players at the time, like the eggs that “have given us a lot of trouble in the past” being the easiest part of the whole thing, and the leader saying that all their casters need Divine Intervention—DI prevents spellcasting.

Every one of them is wearing better gear than they would have gotten from the raid.

Plus the 32.33333~% chance of survival line. How would you even calculate that? It's the kind of thing said by C-3PO and nerds in an 80s college comedy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Now the onyxia wipe was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlLl6bBq584

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
Parachute chat in the Ukraine thread made me remember my own jumps and I wanted to share an idiot story:

During my year of conscription we could complete various civilian weekend courses, if we so desired, at a lower price if we didn't want to go to weekend leave. Being a loser nerd from the boondocks with no social life I completed basic diving, security guard and of course parachuting courses for certs. On the first jump day we rehearsed problem scenarios, landing and ate pizzas. Come boarding time I got mad wobbly knees and naturally countered it by volunteering to be the first jumper. I remember one of the instructors commenting on the wind picking up and seeing, if everything went well, others could jump after us.

So we board the rickety cessna and I go in last since I'm first out. I go to the jump position (hands grip the wing support beam, legs on the stair you climb on the plane. I look to the instructor, he's speaking on the radio and gives me a thumbs up, smiling. I kick my feet off the ramp, hang on the wing beam by my hands for a couple of seconds and let go with what I was later told was the most high-pitched shriek most people present had heard.

The instructor on the ground tells me to do a couple of basic maneuvres (swing feet if you receive me, circle slow to left, circle slow to right, half break towards the wind) and while I'm showing off my sweet moves the winds pick up and the ground controller tells me to half break to the wind so as not to miss the drop zone (we were supposed to land on the air strip the plane took off from). He then proceeds to call the two other jumpers and tell them what to do. I notice that i'm still moving backwards too fast so I stop breaking and just go towards the wind.

Then the wind picks up some more and suddenly the instructor comes to my helmet radio yelling "GO FULL TOWARDS TO WIND! FULL TOWARDS THE WIND!" as if I'm not doing it already. So I slowly glide backwards and realize that I'm going to miss the air strip and the clearing around it, and land to a very dense looking forest. The helmet radio tells me to "STAY RELAXED! AIM FOR A CLEARING! GOOD LUCK!" and stays quiet for the rest of my trip, which I thought was rude.

So I look around while I'm descending towards the treeline and notice a small clearing. I manage to get myself into a goodish position to maybe even land there, so naturally about 50 meters from the ground the wind stop blowing, I fly past my planned landing site into the forest and I suddenly realize how fast I'm going. The spruces whiz by my head and I hit a lonely pine with my feet in perfect landing tug as my chute grabs branches and slows me enough to not have my knees or bones broken. I drop about two meters into the ground on my side and the chute lands next to me. I didn't receive a single scratch, but I was so amped up with adrenaline that I couldn't at first stand and then walk, I was howling laughing too hard.

After a while I gather my senses and my chute, and start walking towards the air strip. I manage about 200 meters before I see a pickup racing towards me. I wave at them and they pull up next to me. There's an EMT next the driver, he gets out and asks if I 'm ok. I start laughing and yell HELL YEAH.

Our jump was the only one that day since the wind had picked up too much. The other jumpers had been told to forego the maneuvres and go full tilt towards to wind. They had both landed safely on the landing zone.

So that's one of my more memorable near death -experiences. The idiot of the story? Well that's me, I did four other jumps on the next day when the winds were practically still.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Its poo poo like this that makes me consider maybe jumping out of planes is cool and good if youre not doing it army style.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MORE DOTS

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

Its poo poo like this that makes me consider maybe jumping out of planes is cool and good if youre not doing it army style.

Consider: The Army has managed to make shooting machine guns and cannons almost no fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I did get some enjoyment out of firing an AT4, but that's because it was disposable and I didn't have to clean it afterwards. Not too much fun though because it was a range day after all. Still, it was the biggest boomy I ever got to fire so I was drat well going to enjoy it. If I had had to hump it around it would probably have been average army suck.