Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Very likely, since pushing the Adult Swim branding an hour earlier has already been really successful - so successful that Adult Swim is going to move forward again into the 6 PM hour starting in late August.

Linear cable ratings continue to sink like a stone, so anything making gains is going to be seized upon. That 6 PM start time is going to consist of an hourlong block of Millennial nostalgia shows like Dexter's Lab and Billy & Mandy. Kid-friendly programming, but airing under the Adult Swim banner. So yeah, any series in development with the potential for 18-35 crossover appeal is probably being funneled into the AS pipeline to air in the early evening/primetime and take advantage of this newfound ratings ploy.

lol I know traditional TV/cable is on its last legs but it's hilarious that AS is absorbing this much. I remember when Nick at Nite got pushed back to 8 in the 90s and I was like "this is the most awesome thing in the world". So even if the first block is just older cartoons I'm sure this would be child me's nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teen Titans Go is still airing episodes but I'm not sure what else they have going on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Is the regular cartoon network programming schedule still basically just one show? Its not very surprising that Adult Swim would do way better if that is the case.

No it's like two, because they run a shitload of Craig of the Creek now in addition to TTG. I think there's still a lot of Gumball reruns too.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think they have some kind of Tiny Toons builders show they've been pushing, but I lack any desire to check into it further.

My guess is Zaslav is of the mind that CN was only for small children and thus was easier to just shove into a streaming box for parents to put on whenever and fold it all into Warner animation, instead of actually investing in CN as a platform to air and distribute the first-run material for the streaming platforms to then act as archive for.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I think they have some kind of Tiny Toons builders show they've been pushing, but I lack any desire to check into it further.

My guess is Zaslav is of the mind that CN was only for small children and thus was easier to just shove into a streaming box for parents to put on whenever and fold it all into Warner animation, instead of actually investing in CN as a platform to air and distribute the first-run material for the streaming platforms to then act as archive for.

I get the sense that David Zaslav doesn't really understand anything beyond a financial spreadsheet and the ways to get the "balance owing" cell of the pivot table as close to $0 as he can, given that he tried to sell his new revamped streaming service to people on the backs of the by-then death spiraling DC movie franchise and the 90 Day Fiance Cinematic Universe of all possible things.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I get the sense that David Zaslav doesn't really understand anything beyond a financial spreadsheet and the ways to get the "balance owing" cell of the pivot table as close to $0 as he can, given that he tried to sell his new revamped streaming service to people on the backs of the by-then death spiraling DC movie franchise and the 90 Day Fiance Cinematic Universe of all possible things.

Bingo, this guy's got it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kids can watch 90 Day Fiance and Houwe Flippers.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TwoPair posted:

No it's like two, because they run a shitload of Craig of the Creek now in addition to TTG. I think there's still a lot of Gumball reruns too.

No idea if they're going to stick with it, but at least for some of the summer there went back to airing older shows like Clarence out of nowhere. So they might be trying to mix it up more. Still mostly Gumball, Craig of the Creek and Teen Titans Go though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

No idea if they're going to stick with it, but at least for some of the summer there went back to airing older shows like Clarence out of nowhere. So they might be trying to mix it up more. Still mostly Gumball, Craig of the Creek and Teen Titans Go though.

Yeah they seem to mix it up sometimes, especially earlier in the day. I was setting my DVR to record some stuff one night and noticed looking forward that they were actually going to play like, a few episodes of We Bare Bears and (for a real throwback) some Teen Titans '03 early in the morning like, right after the switch back from AS. So it's not totally three shows but they definitely do their best to hide everything else.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m glad it got a 2 season order, that’s enough to mix some villain of the week in addition to a larger arc. Course it would be cool if it runs for 50 or so episodes but I’ll take what I can get.

https://twitter.com/jakewyattriot/status/1678432470243606528

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

I’m glad it got a 2 season order, that’s enough to mix some villain of the week in addition to a larger arc. Course it would be cool if it runs for 50 or so episodes but I’ll take what I can get.

https://twitter.com/jakewyattriot/status/1678432470243606528

Season orders don't mean anything anymore in the age of media erasure. Don't get excited until it actually airs somewhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why, if we order 10 seasons and never show any of them, we could save billions! I'm a genius, I tell you!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why, if we order 10 seasons and never show any of them, we could save billions! I'm a genius, I tell you!

The Producers but for real.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

The Producers but for real.

Springtime for Luthor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Season orders don't mean anything anymore in the age of media erasure. Don't get excited until it actually airs somewhere.

TV show equivalent of the video game "ten year roadmap"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm all for the Supes show getting more episodes but I do worry about them making the "will they won't they" aspect play for that long. Hopefully they take it in one direction or the other and not make it a forever pseudo thing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm super late on this but did anyone else catch Zerocalcare's Tear Along the Dotted Line and This World Can't Tear Me Down on Netflix? I had no idea they even existed until recently but they're both very solid animated seemingly autobiographical miniseries.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Warbird posted:

I'm all for the Supes show getting more episodes but I do worry about them making the "will they won't they" aspect play for that long. Hopefully they take it in one direction or the other and not make it a forever pseudo thing.

I feel like given it's a relationship that has been done a lot, there will be less reason to drag it out and lots of stories of them together to source for ideas.

Also the current thing in the romance anime this show is clearly taking cues from is to actually get to the relationship reasonably quickly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Comics made it work for like 50 years! :v:

But no in all seriousness I can see them getting together but then the conflict shifting to being Clark struggling to decide if/when he's gonna tell Lois his secret.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Between some bits of the promotional materials, the opening, and the feel I've gotten from some of the advance non-spoiler reviews I can't see it going the full first 'season' without some kind of reveal. Possibly a lying one if they go into some of the stranger suff to draw from or Mxy's episode is something else, but at the very least it seems to imply that Lois and Jimmy are going to have some kind of idea about Clark, Powers, and the having thereof.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Mel Brooks actually had something like that happen to him where it turned out Warner Bros had secretly been making a Blazing Saddles TV show starring Louis Gossett Jr with no intention of ever airing it. It was part of a scheme to keep an option to make a sequel to the movie.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Mel Brooks actually had something like that happen to him where it turned out Warner Bros had secretly been making a Blazing Saddles TV show starring Louis Gossett Jr with no intention of ever airing it. It was part of a scheme to keep an option to make a sequel to the movie.

Funniest version of this was the bizarre play for Wheel of Time that had them make a terrible bare bones pilot and run it in a late night informercial slot to try and hold on to the rights.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sardonik posted:

I'm super late on this but did anyone else catch Zerocalcare's Tear Along the Dotted Line and This World Can't Tear Me Down on Netflix? I had no idea they even existed until recently but they're both very solid animated seemingly autobiographical miniseries.

A friend introduced me to Tear back in January and it hit like a truck. Good show and I'm super excited to check out the new one once Netflix stops being an rear end in a top hat and refuses to play it on my device :argh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Aces High posted:

A friend introduced me to Tear back in January and it hit like a truck. Good show and I'm super excited to check out the new one once Netflix stops being an rear end in a top hat and refuses to play it on my device :argh:

Other things working or is this a sharing gripe(valid but this wonr fix a sharing issue)?

Netflix uses local caches, report the broken episodes from your account on the website and they should get them fixed. When I needed to do this I just gave them the IP in the comment box, they probably have it already but they got it fixed without further contact other than try now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm not actually sure. It's probably a device issue because I'm able to watch on other devices in the house, but, you know, I prefer watching things on my TV instead of my tablet or laptop.

Doesn't make a difference since now I'm out of country for the rest of the month in a place with loving abysmal internet and wireless coverage (even watching YouTube is a fool's errand some days). I'm looking forward to the show since I've heard it is a continuation from the peeps in Tear Along the Dotted Line

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sardonik posted:

I'm not terribly fond of him since he started riding on a very high horse after his first few successful books but the animation seems competent with a decent budget.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

What's the difference between a single 20 episode season split into two arcs and two 10 episode seasons other than maybe contract bonuses?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

What's the difference between a single 20 episode season split into two arcs and two 10 episode seasons other than maybe contract bonuses?

Act breaks and animation budget based on pacing assumptions and release strategies.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Watched Spine of Night, it got recommended amongst others I've watched in this topic.

That movie started off okay and then kind of got bad, and then got really good in the last 30 minutes. Pretty rare for a movie to lose me and then get me back like that. You really can pack an epic story in a novel fantasy world into 90 minutes.

I could get into more of this full on fantasy animated movie stuff. Apparently this is considered a throwback to 70's-80's animation so I should start looking into that.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 16, 2023

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EEBAU8M6dc

Looks... not terrible?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They still pushing NFTs on that one?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

seems so

https://www.krapopolis.com

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How can anyone still be on the NFT train. It's so crazy to me

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they've already sold the NFTs so they might just be riding this one out rather than shutting the whole thing down and being accused of rug pulling

fox doesn't seem to be jumping at the opportunity to launch any more "NFT shows" after this one

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The 7th Guest posted:

I looked this up a few weeks back, when the news first came out that they were giving the premiere a cushy premiere slot after an NFL week 3 double-header on September 24th, a week before the Sunday Animation Domination season premieres. Shockingly, the network's press materials don't really mention the NFT aspect...but it's still a big part of the official website, and of course all the NFT corners of the web are still crowing about it. Looking at the collection on OpenSea, it looks like a handful of delusional people paying ~$250 for lovely chicken pictures and then listing them for $2k+.

repiv posted:

they've already sold the NFTs so they might just be riding this one out rather than shutting the whole thing down and being accused of rug pulling

fox doesn't seem to be jumping at the opportunity to launch any more "NFT shows" after this one

I also suspect that whatever contracts were signed between media and Web3 companies at the height of NFT mania preclude the producers from getting out of the game now, even when it's clear that the ship has sailed (and sunk.)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Go Team Venture!
https://twitter.com/CoreyBrickley/status/1682283801567789056 I wonder if this will be a weird case where it stays on Disney's Hulu but is gone from WB's Max?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Right on the day the finale movie premiered. loving typical. Glad I never stopped buying dvds and blurays. Maybe I won't feel as bad using a free trial to watch the movie before my hard copy gets here and canceling immediately once its over. gently caress MAX

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The source for that is IMDB though, they aren't exactly known to be reliable about these things. gently caress this year I found a Venture bros episode with the wrong title and made an account just to submit the change. (it's correct now)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MokBa posted:

Not sure why it's an Adult Swim show though. Everything in the first two episodes is entirely kid friendly. It's straight up a Saturday morning cartoon.

All the "kids" are now over 26, and want the hit of nostalgia.

The_Doctor posted:

But will we see the rest of the Dresden Dolls?

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh hey the Superman show did one of the two things. I imagine we’ll get the second one as the season closer.

Also go motherfucking Team Venture.