Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

What does it mean when something is a "a hurricane moment ever"?
I just assumed the character's name is "Hurricane" and it's just a spin on the "this truly was one of the moments of all time" format.

Update: the character's name is "Hurricane Dragon" and he's a type of wizard or something.

Breetai posted:

Watch Starship Troopers for exactly this (and also the whole movie whips rear end.
iirc that dude gets shot from an angle where having the helmet properly fastened would only have helped keep the head bits from spraying around as much, at best. Technically still a benefit on a battlefield I guess, if you were training to fight people with guns instead of bugs.

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

credburn posted:

That's Kamen Rider Wizard in his Dragon Hurricane form.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

Using context, I think it means either good or bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Breetai posted:

Watch Starship Troopers for exactly this (and also the whole movie whips rear end.

Dammit, I was so concerned with making sure the video played I didn't make my point. XDProtag is right, superheroes need their helmets on more often. Captain Marvel was an alright 7 or 6/10 IMO, but the helmet and power mohawk was a great look and the fact that we lost that in Endgame was a massive misstep as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATxnB3hdh5A

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Biplane posted:

Using context, I think it means either good or bad.
It's a different way to say "so, that happened" but specifically in a way that isn't a value judgment on "best" or "worst"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

credburn posted:

I think it just means 'Classic KR Wizard. Always getting up to shenanigans.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4s2jYcw2U4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ1PDjNNnUg

First wizard I've ever seen cast fire kick, that's for sure

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

https://twitter.com/XDProtag/status/1672448583746957314
https://twitter.com/theRealCappyM/status/1671722206722764800

This kicks rear end.

It's just not fair that Judge Dredd is the one character that can maintain wearing a mask all the time but everyone else is desperate to take theirs off like its a hydraulic press. I'm just waiting for someone in a Marvel movie to get sniped mid helmet-free banter scene.

Quantumania was the worst where characters would pop on helmets to do CG action and then as soon as they were done they would pop them back off.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Literally just finished watching Quantumania less than ten minutes ago and that annoyed the hell out of me.

A bunch of times they would put the helmet on for about two seconds of 'action'. It was so obvious that they were switching to a CGI animation that was obnoxious.

"Hey you!" Pulls arm back to punch someone. Helmet goes on. Throws the punch. Helmet comes off. "Take that!"

In a movie where 99.9999% of what was on screen at any time was CGI, they still found a way to make an effect look obnoxious. Almost an achievement, really.

edit: reminded me of the infamous scene from Blade 2

No, not the ones with the CGI eyes, the other one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3W6ignyBg&t=128s

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Jul 21, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Two years ago:

Keromaru5 posted:

That bugged me the last time I watched Avengers: Endgame. Not only does everybody take their masks off at every opportunity so the actor can get some facetime, but everyone seems to have that same mechanism where their masks crawl off their faces.
Only this time there's tokusatsu discussion, so yay!

I'm cautiously optimistic about Blue Beetle, because it looks like the closest an American movie's gotten to toku in a long while.

RareAcumen posted:

First wizard I've ever seen cast fire kick, that's for sure
Gotta admit, I loved that moment where even the split-screen border lit on fire.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tbf they might also go mask on for a stunt double lol

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
I enjoy this video on the whole "keep your mask on" subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptkYbL4tpko

A lot of people in the comments brought up the Tokusatsu/Kamen Rider actors as well.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RareAcumen posted:

It's just not fair that Judge Dredd is the one character that can maintain wearing a mask all the time but everyone else is desperate to take theirs off like its a hydraulic press. I'm just waiting for someone in a Marvel movie to get sniped mid helmet-free banter scene.

poo poo, it's not fair we didn't get more Dredd with Karl Urban, but that's more a rational irritation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well I'm being a little hyperbolic, it's not like every Batman movie is him taking off his mask as soon as a fight's over or anything. Mainly just a problem with Sam Raimi Spider-Man 1 because it's a full body thing they had to entomb him in and it was a first attempt with someone insanely enthusiastic to be making a Spider-Man movie and now most MCU movies because they've gotta get em in there if they're paying 10 Million a movie.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
They Cloned Tyrone is loving good but goddamnit can we get some loving lights in half the scenes!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cowslips Warren posted:

They Cloned Tyrone is loving good but goddamnit can we get some loving lights in half the scenes!

It's in 1080 for some reason, doesn't help it any.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

You are not alone. The whole thing was incredibly confusing. I can only assume it's from a show written for people that have a fetish about watching people in suits do washing or something? :shrug:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dr_rat posted:

You are not alone. The whole thing was incredibly confusing. I can only assume it's from a show written for people that have a fetish about watching people in suits do washing or something? :shrug:

Me watching Arrested Development: I don't get it, this some sex thing for people who like horrible people? What's going on?

the joke is he's doing washing without realizing that he could make it easier, you see Like come on I don't know a thing about the show either

Also see:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Me looking at Japan on a map: Huh, I wonder who that fetish is for

Remember when Morbius was a meme and people were very sarcastically enthusiastic about it?

That's what that quote is referencing. Partially.

https://twitter.com/Got_Boring_/status/1517473231284092931

https://twitter.com/Octaey/status/1585107254109384706

https://twitter.com/DC_moments/status/1660713161429852160

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
gently caress off, "You have failed this omelette" was funny.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the arrow guy looks drunk in those stills

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the arrow guy looks drunk in those stills

That's just kinda his face, he's a reasonably charming actor. I didn't love Arrow. Loved the Flash for like 2.5 seasons though.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Oppenheimer was just okay. I enjoyed it overall but doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Eclipse12 posted:

Oppenheimer was just okay. I enjoyed it overall but doubt I'll ever watch it again.

That's how I felt as we left

Apparently it was confusing if the chattering of the other audience members is to be believed

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Len posted:

That's how I felt as we left

Apparently it was confusing if the chattering of the other audience members is to be believed

So a Christopher Nolan film then?

How was the audio mix?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Harminoff posted:

How was the audio mix?

I'm either a genius or missing something because it seemed like a straight forward dramatized biopic

Seemed okay to me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

How else do you suggest you get the power for a laser cannon if not tens of thousands of people on bikes?
The star wars/black mirror crossover nobody was expecting.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Harminoff posted:

How was the audio mix?

There was one short scene of impossible to hear dialog in the audio but it didn't matter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People who have seen it:

Oppenheimer > Chernobyl

Or

Chernobyl > Oppenheimer ?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It always bugs me when a biopic decides to make real people characters into heroes or villains when reality was not like that at all

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Walk Hard is the best biopic

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It always bugs me when a biopic decides to make real people characters into heroes or villains when reality was not like that at all

people are dumb and child like and need easy good guys and bad guy messages/stories.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

RareAcumen posted:

People who have seen it:

Oppenheimer > Chernobyl

Or

I haven't seen it either but unless Jared Harris is in Oppenheimer, I'm calling this for Chernobyl right now :colbert:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

RareAcumen posted:

People who have seen it:

Oppenheimer > Chernobyl

Or

Chernobyl over Oppenheimer for sure.

Then again I saw the latter just after seeing Barbie so I was coming down from that emotional rollercoaster.

I may watch Oppenheimer again in 70mm to give it a fair shake.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Improbable Lobster posted:

That sounds like something a villain would say.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Chernobyl over Oppenheimer but Barbie over either if I want to be a little happier about humanity.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Oppenheimer is the first film I've seen that really captures how inevitable and unreal the development of the atomic bomb was. It lives up to the title of its inspiration, "American Prometheus". Chernobyl is a good illustration of what happens when atomic energy goes wrong, but I thought that Oppenheimer really captures why the application of that power is a break in history itself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

people are dumb and child like and need easy good guys and bad guy messages/stories.

Yeah it sucks and I hate it

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Megamind really was ahead of its time. The loving incel getting superpowers was legit terrifying.

And I liked the fact the news reporter wasn't dating the superhero. And the superhero was actually kinda meh about being a superhero.

I sometimes wonder if Pixar had done Megamind, would it be remembered more, and then I remember the flops Pixar has had. I'm still wondering who green-lit a lot of their recent poo poo.

That is the problem with being Pixar: people expect the best all the time. No one expects Dreamworks to be great every time.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Cowslips Warren posted:

That is the problem with being Pixar: people expect the best all the time. No one expects Dreamworks to be great every time.

This gets to why Puss in Boots: The Last Wish really surprised me, it's a Dreamworks sequel to a Shrek spinoff, it had no business being actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TaurusTorus posted:

This gets to why Puss in Boots: The Last Wish really surprised me, it's a Dreamworks sequel to a Shrek spinoff, it had no business being actually good.

There's a lot of movie sequels that get slept on because the first movie is unpopular. I love the Croods movies, but A New Age got completely ignored despite being infinitely funnier than the first movie (although I respect the first one for it's themes and character work)