Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tulaytullah's is my most wanted weapon and I am putting 0 wishes on this banner. The dopamine of winning the gamble would hit really hard but I would probably quit if I had to log in and see the donut every day.

EDIT: Four kazuhas with 1 second cooldown and my computer doesn't explode? how?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
New banners are out and I don't really wanna review them. Are any of the newer players still here...? But then again it's not like I have anything better to do, so...

Wanderer/Kokomi
Yanfei/Rosaria/Faruzan
Bell/Donut
The other Bell/Fav Bow/Lions Roar/Dragons Bane/Wine and Song

Wander: A field hogging normal/charge attacker that deals minty fresh green physical damage. The biggest claim to fame green physical has over regular white physical is that you can use the VV set to sacrifice his personal damage and boost the damage of strong off-field atrackers like Yelan or Fischl. You shouldn't. But you can. Other than that it's not particularly useful as an offensive type. I had a few more paragraphs typed out but who cares honestly. He's a hypercarry that does hypercarry things and has a bit more team flexibility than characters like Eula and Itto, but not that much more. Notably he can use Layla and Thoma better than most, good thing we got a Layla for free and they put Thoma on his banner. Hey wait why is Rosa the cryo battery with phys res shred on this banner, wheres Thoma, whats going on

Overall, pick him up if you think he's fun to play. Fontaine craftable and Shime in strongbox should make gearing him to a decent level as f2p a bit less painful.

Kokomi: Did you know that Koko as burst transformation field hogger already has the most complete *color* physical team in the game? Koko as a tank/healer with decent damage, Xingqiu for more interrupt resistance/damage mitigation/res shredding/damage, Yelan for damage amp/weakpoint sniping/more damage, Kazuha for grouping/shredding/more amp and a little bit more damage. And yet people don't even use it because all the components are even better in stronger teams! That's messed up. That's a messed up balance decision.

Anyway, Kokomi has 3 main genres of roles:
-A quickswap healer with utility gear (usually feeding a TTDS and ToM boost to a freeze dps)
-An onfield driver with proto amber and clam in anything from monohydro to taser to hyperbloom and burgeon and all their variations
-And a flex sustain in a team consisting of a self-sufficient trio that doesn't need anything in particular, but also wants to not die. This is the one where you swap to Koko to heal the team and sometimes end up accidentally clearing the chamber.

Basides them, there are also Nilou teams where she can serve as a strong full EM reaction dps, and also miscellaneous weird niche teams such as the pet-summoning Sukokomon. There are many roles that she can fill in many different teams, with the downside that she tends to require many different builds as well. Thankfully, she works well with craftable weapons (and TTDS) and her Tenacity and Clam sets are about to be added to the strongbox, so you don't need to waste resin on pale flame or husk if you don't need them.

She does have a few notable issues. Most importantly, she struggles to apply hydro as a solo hydro in anything but a freeze team, unless she takes the field. In practical terms, no vape. She also has an annoying quirk of not being able to reposition her jelly, except by resummoning it with her skill after its full 20s cooldown is over. Her elemental burst does not resummon, it only extends duration. You can get around this somewhat by using a high-refine sacrificial fragments, but on most teams it's not really worth it and you need to either kite enemies or use anemo groupers. This isn't too bad in freeze teams but it does get a bit annoying sometimes in teams like hyperburgeon. And last of all, she can't crit!!!!!! This is terrible, not because of damage or whatever, but because it means Koko can't make use of the otherwise excellent fav codex. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Overall, pick her up if you like the strongest element in the game and also not dying by attrition.

Yanfei: A funky pyro dps that gets a brand new role as a bulky shielder when she reaches C4. What a weirdo! As an onfield attacker she's pretty ho-hum. Xiangling is usually more damage while not needing field time. As a shielder she's actually pretty decent tho! Is this why she's on this banner...? I've been trying to see if I can get her to hold ttds and still perform shielding duties on a Wanderer team, but the results aren't great so far :/
Overall decent, used to be more special before we got Layla and Catbox as f2p shielding options.

Rosaria: A functional f2p cryo dps that can transition to a more supporting role. Before hyperbloom she was one of the characters that could punch above their weight if you didn't have 5 star dps units, alongside Xiangling and Beidou. But while Xiangling is still going strong, Rosa and Beidou have taken a back seat due to their kits' limitations and the rise of Shinobu. Rosa in particular suffers from her damage coming from her immobile burst turret, which can get annoying to keep enemies within range of for its full duration. But even if you have a stronger dps option, she can still hold fav and noblesse to battery, buff, and deal ok personal damage as a cryo support. She is mostly outclassed by Shenhe in this role, though she can also make use of Shenhe herself if you picked her up despite not having a 5 star cryo dps for some reason???
Overall actually pretty good, I still use her from time to time even tho I have Shenhe, in teams like hyperfridge.

Faruzan: The designated support for raw anemo damage teams. Absolutely hideous energy situation at low constellations, but it's a solvable problem since you can just ignore her damage and build fav + ER + fates + ER substats or 2x exile or whatever. At high constellations you can give her a different utility set but that fav bow's stuck to her forever :[
Surprisingly fun to use her as an onfield shooter!
Overall a unit with a really narrow niche, but obviously strong in it. Annoyingly constellation locked.

Weapon banner: Do it, pull on the banner, I DARE you. Pull a donut and cry, I want to see it. The "dead dove, do not eat" of banners.

Bell: Good on Hat Guy, functional on everyone else. Definitively NOT the mistsplitter of catalysts.
Donut: Outclassed by TTDS in freeze and that one craftable Aranara fruit in bloom, a bit better than Proto Amber in teams that use it. Lol. Lmao.
The Real Bell: Why did they put this on Freminet's art? Dragon's bane Yun Jin all over again.
Dragon's Bane: If you refined all your copies for Hu Tao and didn't have one left for EMRaiden you might be happy...?
Lion's Roar: Used to see a bit of play in high-energy taser/overvape teams on Xingqiu but nowadays its just a marginal Keqing upgrade.
Fav Bow: Fav good
Wine and Song: ???? Had to look this one up. What in the world is this...

Anyway I started typing this about 7 hours ago, lets see how bad I got beaten lol

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Wonder if hat lad + my weirdly atk% stacked shime pieces + skyward atlas is enough attack that Benny's buff is diluted enough that Mika becomes a legit option :thunk:

Thats 35 crit rate with cryo resonance + infusion. Might work?

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Oh yeah, it one of the deleted hat boy paragraphs I lamented that it's harder to trigger healing effects with Benny because he doesn't actually have any healing ticks if you're at full health. This makes the fontaine craftable more annoying to use on Wanderer and others than you might think, even if they're still pretty solid even without the extra buff. Don't let it trip you up if you're planning to use these...

Tho Kokomi and Baizhu teams continue winning in this case :)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I was tempted to get the kokofish

but after accidentally wasting my pity on Klee I will have to hold strong until Fontaine

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Mika gives a ~22% atkspd buff and some healing from his burst, and literally nothing else of note for Wanderer. You'd probably get substantially more damage out of slapping VV on Faruzan and swirling the application from your actual-cryo-supports of choice.

Rosaria's burst can give 15% CC, which would put you at a much more comfortable 50% total (counting infusion+resonance). Something like wanderer/faruzan/rosaria/layla would do some work. With some constellations Layla's burst even buffs normal/charged attacks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wow that is a bad weapon banner. Maybe the worst they've done so far, unless I'm forgetting one from a while back. There's almost nothing worth pulling on it besides Hat Guy's weapon. :psyduck:

Tampa Bae posted:

I put up with Zhongli for a year how bad could it be
Zhongli's idles are long and annoying but at least you won't want to shove him into a locker.

"You think I've got a sharp tongue? I just tell it like it is. If someone can't handle it, maybe that's their problem. :mmmsmug:" x 500

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people who use the eng dub need help

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

wanderer is no less insufferable just because you can't understand a word he's saying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sorry to report that there are people who know languages that arent english

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i only play the game in the original Toki Pona Hilichurlian

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
you should change the language to whatever region is newest to truly immerse yourself, get ready for omelette au fromage

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Asimo posted:

Wow that is a bad weapon banner. Maybe the worst they've done so far, unless I'm forgetting one from a while back.
The only one I'm seeing that's quite as bad is from back in Apr 2021:

Summit Shaper / Memory of Dust (5*)
Lithic Blade / Lithic Spear / The Flute / Eye of Perception / Sacrificial Bow (4*)

Where the only "good" weapon in the entire banner was the SacBow.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean the current weapon banner is that bad. At least this new one has one good five star. Eula banner has Eula's niche claymore, a standard weapon, 4 trash 4* and the only actual weapon is Fav lance. Fav Lance is really good but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the lithic weapons are alright in a vacuum, their largest issue is just that there arent liyue claymore and polearm characters who care that much about crit rate/atk. hu tao and xiangling would largely rather EM, and beidou needs energy for her burst. and you don't really run Xiao with other liyue characters.

If they made the same thing but it was an inazuman sword, Ayato'd be a very happy camper - you could run Ayato/Yae/Kazuha/Kirara, for instance.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

I mean the current weapon banner is that bad. At least this new one has one good five star. Eula banner has Eula's niche claymore, a standard weapon, 4 trash 4* and the only actual weapon is Fav lance. Fav Lance is really good but still.
I think this current banner that ends in a few days may be the least appealing banner ever outside of those who were waiting for a Eula rerun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kale posted:

I think this current banner that ends in a few days may be the least appealing banner ever outside of those who were waiting for a Eula rerun.

I played myself by rolling on it. If I didn't absolutely love Eula's design I would be pretty loving miserable. :shepicide:

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

New event makes me think that cooldown-based gameplay is bad actually. I want to play turbo teleport Alhaitham for real. And also, sombrero dude should have just had infinite stamina to begin with. Maybe infinite stamina when X feet or lower above ground if you don't want to permanently break exploration forever.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

I played myself by rolling on it. If I didn't absolutely love Eula's design I would be pretty loving miserable. :shepicide:

Yeah I'm pretty susceptible to Ojou/Princess type characters and Dancing Butterflies of Doom as I call them which Mihoyo games seem to have a lot of so Eula and Ayaka were must haves if I was going to play it. Ayaka didn't really get her butterfly motif till her costume though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASm4zS22bWk

As for Eula while Western content creators were out creating drama and conflict again Bilibili and the Chinese community came out with this.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Despite needing to save for powerful characters since I still barely have a roster, I spent my guarantee on Eula after watching that fan video ^^^, and the vengeance vengeance vengeance vengeance meme song on youtube. Plus I like 2h sword users even if the trounce bosses refuse to give me a northlander claymore billet so far.

Then I saw her birthday voice line... :stare:
Today is a day worth observing, though you shouldn't mark your development in age alone. Accept my gift of a bone whistle, and allow me to teach you its secrets. When your day of reckoning comes, see how long you can fend me off with it... It'll make the whole thing much more exciting.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 21, 2023

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Don Sombrero doesn't speak Spanish and that makes me sad enough not to roll for him ever

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Traveller posted:

Don Sombrero doesn't speak Spanish and that makes me sad enough not to roll for him ever
if you change your game language everyone can speak spanish

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Isnt it impossible to see the name Don Sombrero without having spanish enabled? Or do we just mean voicework?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

No Wave posted:

Isnt it impossible to see the name Don Sombrero without having spanish enabled? Or do we just mean voicework?
You can change his name to whatever you want after you get far enough into the archon quests but idk if you can use spaces because I never tried

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Yeah, voicework-wise I mean. There's probably never going to be a Spanish dub.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tampa Bae posted:

You can change his name to whatever you want after you get far enough into the archon quests but idk if you can use spaces because I never tried
You can't use spaces. Which is kind of surprising given how many Inazuma PCs have spaces.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

No loving way.

Well I'm sure there must be some sort of unicode character you can enter that's functionally identical to a space.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

bagrada posted:

Despite needing to save for powerful characters since I still barely have a roster, I spent my guarantee on Eula after watching that fan video ^^^, and the vengeance vengeance vengeance vengeance meme song on youtube. Plus I like 2h sword users even if the trounce bosses refuse to give me a northlander claymore billet so far.

Then I saw her birthday voice line... :stare:
Today is a day worth observing, though you shouldn't mark your development in age alone. Accept my gift of a bone whistle, and allow me to teach you its secrets. When your day of reckoning comes, see how long you can fend me off with it... It'll make the whole thing much more exciting.

Yeah, the Lawrence Clan was something lol

No Wave posted:

You can't use spaces. Which is kind of surprising given how many Inazuma PCs have spaces.

Yeah, that's why he's "MamasBoy" in my game instead of "Mama's Boy"

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Just made him Don_Sombrero like we're playing Quake 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay fine, I'll swap to Japanese and pay attention to every line.

Really wish this game just had The World Ends with You or Persona 5 style text logs I could go back and re-read mid conversation.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It's a little odd that it doesn't, but unless you were hunting for a particularly amusing exchange to screenshot, I doubt anyone would actually use it.

Probably it would just hammer home how repetitive the drat text is, and they probably do not want that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zenostein posted:

It's a little odd that it doesn't, but unless you were hunting for a particularly amusing exchange to screenshot, I doubt anyone would actually use it.

Probably it would just hammer home how repetitive the drat text is, and they probably do not want that.

Sometimes I get distracted by something and want a refresher on what they were talking about or accidentally have the autoplay going when a new cutscene triggers. Just for small things like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Genshin does have text logs for old quests, it's the Travel Log in the Archive.

I think it might be limited to main story quests, but that should cover most of your interactions with Hat Boy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alright fine, I'm swapped over to Japanese and I've got complaints: I can't read Japanese, I wish VA names were in English. And because I'm so used to everyone's skill callouts I kinda wish those had been subtitled too?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

MoonCrab posted:

Well I'm sure there must be some sort of unicode character you can enter that's functionally identical to a space.
Assuming he uses the same allow/block list as the player's profile name does, there is yeah. I can't remember if I have a unicode halfspace or quarterspace as my player name, but it's allowed.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

RareAcumen posted:

Alright fine, I'm swapped over to Japanese and I've got complaints: I can't read Japanese, I wish VA names were in English. And because I'm so used to everyone's skill callouts I kinda wish those had been subtitled too?

Nope, you're gonna learn who the hell hokuto and gaeya are.

And still mash x when paimon speaks because goddamn.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Genshin does have text logs for old quests, it's the Travel Log in the Archive.

I think it might be limited to main story quests, but that should cover most of your interactions with Hat Boy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just archon quests.

Also, that entire UI is laggy as gently caress on playstation for some reason, so if you're using that, just don't loving bother.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If you're playing on a PS4, uh, don't. It only barely reaches the minimum of what could be called "functional", you can practically hear the poor hardware crying under the strain.

If you're on the PS5 though I've got nothing, seems as snappy as PC to me? :shrug:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

load times on PS5 are extremely good and the only time I've ever had a complaint besides how bad aiming with the bow is, is that sometimes when you're joining other people's worlds or someone is joining yours the game just full freezes for a couple seconds

The game looks incredible on PS5, almost no load times, the only things that suck are the obvious limitations by what you can do with a controller versus a keyboard & mouse (Like menus/online stuff/aiming/etc)

I'm half tempted to just grab a bluetooth keyboard so I don't have to use the controller to type out "Hey can I pick your flowers" when I pop into people's worlds

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've been lied to for years. Support Xinyan deals more pyro damage than phys damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/156czna/terrorist_attack_on_korean_genshin_festival/

Apparently some guy planted a pipe bomb at a Summer Genshin Festival event in Korea cause he figured Genshin fans were the worst and deserve to die for selling out to communist China or something according to his twitter account that was discovered by authorities. The bomb was found and safely dismantled and people are being allowed back into the event. Really takes hatred of a fanbase to a level I'm not sure I've seen before.

Wonder if I see this in more mainstream news as the day wears on as this seems pretty significant

https://www-globale-co-kr.translate.goog/news/articleView.html?idxno=24838&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Google translated article in Korean about the incident. This was apparently about 5-6 hours ago.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 22, 2023