Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's a good fit for superhero open world games, because what other genre involves beating up the same handful of guys every few stories?

How many of those are there really? The Arkham games and some MMORG's spring to mind but I'd say that 80 or 90% of them are level based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's like 5 open world Spidered Men

Hulk Ultimate Destruction and The Incredible Hulk

Superman Returns

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

oh, yeah. Totally forgot about Spiderman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's a good fit for superhero open world games, because what other genre involves beating up the same handful of guys every few stories?

Especially the ones where you beat up a bunch of generic goons on the regular. Spider-Man could go from having to deal with cannon fodder, to having to deal with someone on par with the Enforcers, to someone on par with the Punisher, and maybe a final form as an actual villain with powers/super powered gear.

I think there are ways it could work but my hot take on that is well, why not just have the actual Enforcers, Punisher, and the other villain in the game to fight? There's always the development time and resources that will limit things but it seems like a big tease for fans of a character to fill the game with enemies that fill the role of lesser supervillains but not have them be any of that character's familiar bad guys.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Endless Mike posted:

It's *patented* not *copyrighted*. (Well, the games as wholes are copyrighted, but that's different.) But anyway, getting around patents can be fairly easy even if you go the route of "similar concept implemented directly" versus "just pay the patent holder".

derp. yeah, that's what I meant

OnimaruXLR posted:

Especially the ones where you beat up a bunch of generic goons on the regular. Spider-Man could go from having to deal with cannon fodder, to having to deal with someone on par with the Enforcers, to someone on par with the Punisher, and maybe a final form as an actual villain with powers/super powered gear.

The Wonder Woman game is confirmed to be using it, at least, though who knows when we'll see it again

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also what other genre lets you kill someone in a story, only to bring them back later with a different/scarred appearance, and maybe the conceit that "You can't beat me that way again. I learned from our last encounter." Hell, there's at least 2 characters I can name where that was their whole gimmick.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 12, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I personally just think it'd be a fun way to get villains into new costumes during the course of the game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Seems like a good fit if you wanted to put Doomsday in. A cross between the Nemesis system and actual Nemesis from Resident Evil

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I’ve been playing point and click games lately and it got me thinking about a monkey island style super-man game.

Levels like the Daily planet,fortress of solitude,weird alien planets,the farm,lex’s office.

Loads of doodads (clarks glasses,weird kryptonian stuff,keys to the fortress)

Puzzles like talking to Bizarro,using your powers to bend/melt/lift stuff.

And no combat!

Late, but I would play this. Except it needs to star Jimmy Olsen.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Jimmy olsen and how i ended up in this situation (it was superman being a dick,it’s always superman being a dick) : the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's like Alpha Protocol except all your dialogue options are Man of Steel/Man of Tomorrow/Last Son of Krypton/Metropolis Kid

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Homelander, Starlight and Black Noir skins have been added to Call of Duty. They've also added a Temp V powerup that gives you one of four powers for a limited time.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Genuinely blows my mind out my rear end we didn't get butcher

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's like Alpha Protocol except all your dialogue options are Man of Steel/Man of Tomorrow/Last Son of Krypton/Metropolis Kid

:( Don't make me remember that we're never getting another Alpha Protocol because Sega are squatting on the IP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

:( Don't make me remember that we're never getting another Alpha Protocol because Sega are squatting on the IP.

I think the reason we're never getting another Alpha Protocol is because it sold like nine kinds of rear end. AP isn't a unique enough IP you couldn't just make a similar-but-different game if you wanted.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

Orcs could rack up immunities but honestly the toughest part of fighting the strong ones was dealing with them in the middle of a dozen other orcs.

That was the fun part. That rear end in a top hat turning up AGAIN when it's not convenient for you at all!

And there were limits to their adaptability. No orc ever became completely immune to damage; there was always a way to defeat them, even if it wasn't your preferred way.

If nu-Zelda had a system like that maybe I would be forced to venture away from Muddlebud/Puffshroom/Bomb arrows.

HebrewMagic posted:

Genuinely blows my mind out my rear end we didn't get butcher

The average COD enjoyer thinks Homelander is the good guy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
most cod players are running the furry skins now

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That was the fun part. That rear end in a top hat turning up AGAIN when it's not convenient for you at all!

And there were limits to their adaptability. No orc ever became completely immune to damage; there was always a way to defeat them, even if it wasn't your preferred way.

If nu-Zelda had a system like that maybe I would be forced to venture away from Muddlebud/Puffshroom/Bomb arrows.

Yeah I remember some pretty annoying immunities but it was always do-able. Might have to fight your way through and around a camp full of arcs to blow up a fire barrel next to the big bad Remember Me? orc and it felt pretty awesome to accomplish it, although sometimes it would never end because a parade of revenge-seeking orcs would show up partway through.

Fitting that I'm watching a Mission: Impossible movie as I write this because it kinda felt like one of those sequences.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Fitting that I'm watching a Mission: Impossible movie as I write this because it kinda felt like one of those sequences.

Please tell me you aren't posting from a movie theater.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lol no, I was rewatching the old ones before going to see the new one.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
It's not a video game but they're making a Venom pinball machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7wCBblMoM

You can choose between playing as Eddie, Flash, Peter, or Gwen. Carnage is the main villain, Knull's the big bad. There's a tiny bell tower!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AzureFlame posted:

It's not a video game but they're making a Venom pinball machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7wCBblMoM

You can choose between playing as Eddie, Flash, Peter, or Gwen. Carnage is the main villain, Knull's the big bad. There's a tiny bell tower!

Can you honk a truck horn?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't played pinball since I was a kid, how do you play as different characters

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

site posted:

I haven't played pinball since I was a kid, how do you play as different characters

At the start you can choose a character and each one has different modifiers like easier multiballs, longer ball save time. The TMNT game did the same thing, but this one also changes the physical layout apparently (changes where the ball goes when certain shots are made) and alternate background music

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
drat, the last time I played pinball it was on some really old machines but I had no idea they'd gotten so complex

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

drat, the last time I played pinball it was on some really old machines but I had no idea they'd gotten so complex

There's a retro arcade that opened just up the street from me where you pay $10 to get in and all the games are free all day. My $7. I played Defender, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Pole Position, DIg Dug, Centipede, Berzerk, Ms. Pac Man, Star Wars and all sorts of poo poo all in their original arcade cabinets that, as a child of the 80's and mall arcades, really took me back. They also had a bunch of pinball machines.

It was pretty fun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a retro arcade that opened just up the street from me where you pay $10 to get in and all the games are free all day. My $7. I played Defender, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Pole Position, DIg Dug, Centipede, Berzerk, Ms. Pac Man, Star Wars and all sorts of poo poo all in their original arcade cabinets that, as a child of the 80's and mall arcades, really took me back. They also had a bunch of pinball machines.

It was pretty fun.

I built an arcade cabinet last year, has every video game you can think of from pre 2000. Spent hundreds of hours configuring it. It's awesome.

But I barely play it heh.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I'll give you ten bucks for it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

I built an arcade cabinet last year, has every video game you can think of from pre 2000. Spent hundreds of hours configuring it. It's awesome.

But I barely play it heh.

They market it as an "Arcade Museum" and it kinda was.

They had the sit down cabinets for Star Wars, Pole Position and some tank game I forget the name of (Battlezone?) that were an integral part of the experience. I made a typo up there and meant to say my son got in for 7 bux. Cost as much as a round of putt putt or a pizza at 17 dollars for the day.

I grew up with this stuff and, weirdly, had nostalgic memories of cigarette burns on the cabinet and also the row of quarters on the top for players who Had Next. Made me feel young and very old at the same time.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

TwoPair posted:

Jeff Bakalar was doing semi-regular pinball streams on Giant Bomb a while back where he'd show off modern machines on loan from a local arcade. It was impressive to see how much space for innovation there still is in something that's usually regarded as a 'retro' hobby.

The one downside is the modern machines are stupid expensive. The ones made by Stern start at like 5000 bucks and can go up considerably from there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Pinball is just card battlers for olds.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
It’s more like ball battlers

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How are this many characters in Batman's group (I assume New 52 is the most current series right now?) and I haven't seen half of them show up even animated still?

I'm not asking for Flashpoint Thomas Wayne Batman to show up and it would've been insane for Batman in any of the Arkham games to not be anything less than 180% a killjoy at any time. But still, would've loved something more akin to those small points where you were working with Red Robin and Nightwing in Arkham Knight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just based on what I remember, at least half of those have been in a cartoon or video game. and the only really notable ones that haven't are the Batgirls that aren't Barbara and Duke.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wanna see Cassandra, she seems fun. She was basically illiterate at one point, I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I wanna see Cassandra, she seems fun. She was basically illiterate at one point, I think.

And almost entirely mute

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I find adaptations have a recency bias but only in a limited way. Can't say I've seen a game or movie or TV show in recent memory acknowledge the actual state of things in comics.

Maximum Carnage for SNES did, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duke Thomas is Robin in that Batwheels cartoon. But then Barbara is Batgirl there too. I don't think we'll ever get a non-Barbara Batgirl in mainstream stuff. Most don't even know who Cassandra or Stephanie are.

Then again, most probably don't know who Duke Thomas is either and think that Batwheels just made him up.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Cassandra is Batgirl in Young Justice. Has a close relationship with Barbara, since in the show she accidentally caused her injury that leads to her becoming Oracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Too many Batpersons dilutes the brand, similarly to having too many Spider-Persons.

A multiverse thing is different and rad, obviously.