Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joey Freshwater posted:

My gf got me a Stanley water cup thing because I said I liked hers and I took it to work with me and did you guys know that they’re for girls only apparently

I can't imagine such a form of fragile masculinity that has grown rear end adults going "your cup is for girls!!" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

I can't imagine such a form of fragile masculinity that has grown rear end adults going "your cup is for girls!!" lol

Well if it’s a menstrual cup

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

It’s not even girl colors either it’s grey and green!!!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Ehud posted:

There are full-grown men who won’t wash their rear end because touching it is gay

There was an article in the NYT recently about how young boys don’t know what it means to be masculine anymore (not for the “guys should eat meat and fart and watch monster trucks OORAH” set but for, like, average teens and 20 somethings) and while it’s easy to write that off as tiniest violin poo poo those are the kids that are getting turned by the Andrew Tates and Jorps of the world so it seems like a good idea to maybe try to give them some sort of framework for just being a decent human being before they start making fun of people for loving cup choices, of all things

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Personally I'm a VSCO girl (have a hydro flask with stickers on it, and it was a 20 something female coworker who said it)

You and me both bb :hfive:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s not even girl colors either it’s grey and green!!!

SORRY I'M GONNA HAVE TO TAKE YOUR MAN CARD!!!!!!!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have a cup that looks exactly like a Stanley cup but it's metal and made by Yeti who wants feel my biceps

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I got a bog standard Hydroflask and was made fun of because I didn't put stickers on it.

Joey Freshwater posted:

My gf got me a Stanley water cup thing because I said I liked hers and I took it to work with me and did you guys know that they’re for girls only apparently

Envious your girlfriend plays for the Golden Knights

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

I have a cup that looks exactly like a Stanley cup but it's metal and made by Yeti who wants feel my biceps

I’m not even a hockey fan but I want that cup.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Its Rinaldo posted:

I got a bog standard Hydroflask and was made fun of because I didn't put stickers on it.

Envious your girlfriend plays for the Golden Knights

This joke is why I specifically said water cup geez

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm looking forward to drinking my pumpkin spice latte from my Stanley mug in a couple months.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m not even a hockey fan but I want that cup.

I am a hockey fan (Go Panthers :rip:) and I want that cup.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

fartknocker posted:

I am a hockey fan (Go Panthers :rip:) and I want that cup.

I did some searching and I don't think it's a Stanley cup like the NHL trophy, it's a stanley cup like the cup made by stanley?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Joey Freshwater posted:

This joke is why I specifically said water cup geez

As if a goon would let such petty things stop them from shoehorning a poo poo post.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

JPrime posted:

I did some searching and I don't think it's a Stanley cup like the NHL trophy, it's a stanley cup like the cup made by stanley?

Boo, I want Lord Stanley’s cup!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This is pretty neat though.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Stein-oz-Hockey-Beer/dp/B01FRDKGX0/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I would 100% hit myself in the face with that as the night went on.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

C-Euro posted:

When my wife's sister moves out at the end of the year I'm turning her room into a fuckin sensory deprivation chamber for work. A desk, a chair, and nothing else.

Fixed.

Also am I the only one who doesn't get the hype for either Barbie or Oppenheimer? Where was the demand for these in the past decade?

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

25oz isn't enough. Needs at least 40.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Quiet Feet posted:

Fixed.

Also am I the only one who doesn't get the hype for either Barbie or Oppenheimer? Where was the demand for these in the past decade?

Ask yourself why you need a decade of mental preparation to see a movie about a toy, or a movie about a dude.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you're not a fan of either Greta Gerwig or Christopher Nolan (or interested in either Barbie or the history of the atomic bomb) then I understand not being into the Barbenheimer phenomenon.

I like both filmmakers and the subject matters, so this was right up my alley.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I hope we can trick them into rereleasing Battleship

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MaximilianK posted:

25oz isn't enough. Needs at least 40.

20.04oz, 20.20oz, or 20.21oz IMO

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

a sexual elk posted:

I hope we can trick them into rereleasing Battleship

That was actually a fun movie

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

That was actually a fun movie

Battleship would have been better with way less of the dude on the island subplot.

The central idea behind the movie was great.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Not really, the marketing is mainstream and innocuous enough that I know lots of (mainly older) people who have seen it and have varying opinions, but upon reading about it after the fact change their minds. But, its one of those things where if you are already down that path, its gonna be a Hyperspace lane to full blown.

It got wide audiences with the woo woo dipshit moms in our neighborhood Facebook. The one pushing it was talking about filtering “the NEUROTOXIN fluoride” from the city water a month or so ago.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

JPrime posted:

What the gently caress

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Dentists were bioterrorists all along.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

swickles posted:

I also noticed that trend with a lot of things that aren't girl related, but maybe girl-adjacent? Like my friend refused to tell anyone the name or sex of the child they were expecting until after she was born. He said when he first told people (family even!) the name of their first born, before she was born, some people had really negative opinions or reacted with "really?" And it wasn't like a Star Wars or Game of Thrones or some name ripped from pop culture, it was a normal regular name that plenty of people walk around with everyday! It seemed like a lot of other decisions they made about their child were suddenly in the purview of people who were not the parents of said child. I can understand having a serious and frank conversation with someone over something dangerous, but it was over poo poo like clothing choices and colors.

Also, people just judging like the smallest choices too. "Oh you are getting that flavor coffee?" or over other movie poo poo. I am so tired of it and it has become a quick and easy litmus test of people I just never willingly interact with.

Yeah, I've been guilty of making fun of pop culture that was popular with women in the past, despite my love of popular 90's shojo anime. Taylor Swift's been the butt of so many jokes for her entire adult life now, and any time something becomes popular with young girls, that instantly becomes a target of mockery and ire. It's pretty ridiculous, and sadly I don't think a lot of people notice it. I didn't at the time.

Also agreed about the choices thing too. It's tiresome. Yeah, I like this flavor, gently caress you, you're not the one drinking it

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Ask yourself why you need a decade of mental preparation to see a movie about a toy, or a movie about a dude.

You... don't? That's not what I was saying, but you did kinda stumble into the basic thrust of it. You have a movie about a toy and a movie about a dude. Neither of these has seemed to be something anyone has been clamoring for at any point that I can remember in the last ten (or more) years but suddenly they're both Big Deals that everyone wants to see and I don't get it. :shrug:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Prolly cause there’s no drat capes in them

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Is a Stanley mug or bottle or whatever the same Stanley that makes tape measures and levels and poo poo? Are they like Yamaha making dirt bikes and pianos?

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Quiet Feet posted:

You... don't? That's not what I was saying, but you did kinda stumble into the basic thrust of it. You have a movie about a toy and a movie about a dude. Neither of these has seemed to be something anyone has been clamoring for at any point that I can remember in the last ten (or more) years but suddenly they're both Big Deals that everyone wants to see and I don't get it. :shrug:

I think it is for a few reasons but obviously since covid there hasn't been a ton of big movies that have hit theaters only is a big one. Both have been heavily marketed for a while now is another. Barbie at least in the trailers we have seen looks to hit all the right notes and looks fun and appeals to adults. Nolan doing his practical magic and making a bomb plus him hyping the special IMAX has really helped as well.

When is the last time a non-superhero movie been hyped like these two?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

JPrime posted:

I looked and it’s not even the tool company Stanley. It’s some totally different Stanley? I don’t even know.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a company named Stanley that makes camping equipment. The “cup” is a Yeti style double wall metal one with a handle.

It wasn’t selling well until some lady influencer posted about them and then they blew up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s a company named Stanley that makes camping equipment. The “cup” is a Yeti style double wall metal one with a handle.

It wasn’t selling well until some lady influencer posted about them and then they blew up.

That was money well spent for them it looks like.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Quiet Feet posted:

You’re looking at it wrong. People don’t give a poo poo that the movies are about Oppenheimer or Barbie beyond the fact that the subject matter seem to be very much in their wheelhouses. Nolan and Gerwig are critical darlings and people are hyped about the stuff they make.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1682495862314790913

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I never liked the band Type O Negative whenever I heard them in the past, but a song came up on my Spotify playlist and I was listening to them some at work, and the album Bloody Kisses has a handful of pretty good songs on it. I tossed Black No. 1, Christian Woman, and Summer Breeze on my playlist. Christian Woman sounds exactly like some song I have on my playlist somewhere, but I am unable to place it, identical tempo/cadence or whatever musical terms I do not know.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

I don't get it nobody was asking for another Avatar movie either. Yet it made $2.3B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

That was money well spent for them it looks like.

For sure. Maybe it’s confirmation bias now that I have one but I feel like I see them everywhere now