Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

consumption == identity

- a cspammer :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's a little funny, because since television is lowbrow entertainment we remember movies as fine art, you know, cinema. When movies were lowbrow entertainment, people talked about theatre and works of literature. But then you go back, and most plays were absolute lowbrow trash, as were most novels. Which isn't to say any of these art forms can't produce great works, only that most people do not have good taste and aren't looking to develop it when they get off work. They want farts.

"The Farce of the Fart" and Other Ribaldries: Twelve Medieval French Plays in Modern English

Theater historian Jody Enders brings a dozen of the funniest French farces to contemporary English speaking audiences for the first time. This performance-friendly collection includes background information about the plays for medievalists, theater practitioners, and classic comedy lovers alike.

"Scurrilous, sexy, stupid, satirical, scatological, side-splitting, and probably something else beginning with 's,' Jody Enders's translation of twelve French farces is a real discovery that goes a long way to readjusting our perception of the Middle Ages. Enders is a great champion of comedy at its most vulgar and hilarious. She points out that however silly or banal these farces may appear to us, they nonetheless confront the real controversies of their day over the law, politics, religion, social order, or the battle of the sexes. Thoroughly grounded in her academic approach to the subject, Enders nevertheless writes with liveliness and humor and wit. She is unafraid to reference modern comedy in her translations and insists on the primacy of performance in assessing these comedies from half a millennium ago."—Terry Jones

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

consumption == identity

Nail on the head.
Listening to an audio lectures about the enlightenment and that is the discovery that split off "modern people" from medieval and Antiquity and Pre-history people is that so much of what a human being does is because of culture around them, and the division of art from previous culture/religion exaggerated how people are constructed.

And seeing the way people are influence by art (that was divorced from religion/culture) made it easier to see how people are constructed.

The Enlightenment - Invention of the Modern Self - T. Damrosch
https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/enlightenment-invention-of-the-modern-self

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Jul 21, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

It's a little funny, because since television is lowbrow entertainment we remember movies as fine art, you know, cinema. When movies were lowbrow entertainment, people talked about theatre and works of literature. But then you go back, and most plays were absolute lowbrow trash, as were most novels. Which isn't to say any of these art forms can't produce great works, only that most people do not have good taste and aren't looking to develop it when they get off work. They want farts.

"The Farce of the Fart" and Other Ribaldries: Twelve Medieval French Plays in Modern English

Theater historian Jody Enders brings a dozen of the funniest French farces to contemporary English speaking audiences for the first time. This performance-friendly collection includes background information about the plays for medievalists, theater practitioners, and classic comedy lovers alike.

"Scurrilous, sexy, stupid, satirical, scatological, side-splitting, and probably something else beginning with 's,' Jody Enders's translation of twelve French farces is a real discovery that goes a long way to readjusting our perception of the Middle Ages. Enders is a great champion of comedy at its most vulgar and hilarious. She points out that however silly or banal these farces may appear to us, they nonetheless confront the real controversies of their day over the law, politics, religion, social order, or the battle of the sexes. Thoroughly grounded in her academic approach to the subject, Enders nevertheless writes with liveliness and humor and wit. She is unafraid to reference modern comedy in her translations and insists on the primacy of performance in assessing these comedies from half a millennium ago."—Terry Jones

Oh god, he's doing the thing, but not in the Ukraine war thread!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

all quality sophisticated film should leave you feeling euphoric

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

jocelyn's right

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
im gonna go see the barbenheimer double feature while wearing a gasmask through both movies

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

yes you do

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

black and white movies from………… 1973??

they are obviously talking about the Eraserhead/Elephant Man double feature I'm planning

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
there was some celebrity that went on lovely lovely podcasts and youtube and twitch channels I wanna say it was like Zach Snyder or another superhero director and they just look miserable and are getting questions like the itchy scratchy bone xylophone joke except unironically. definitely fired their publicity agent

can anyone find it or know what I'm talking about its v funny

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
I just remembered there was some 100 year anniversary of the first motion picture camera in 1995 and so the camera heirs sent a replica to a lot of film makers, spike lee wim wenders zhang yimou etc. They had a sorta contest to see what famous film makers would make and put it all in an anthology.

I forget how it exactly works but the camera came already loaded with film and when you hit 'run' it just goes until rolling out, no motor probably just a spring that goes until it's spent. It has about 60 seconds of film in it. They were allowed to shoot 3 takes.

And so Lynch built a round set that had exteriors and interiors and the same set repeated so that he could do a close up and a wide shot with the actress running between the sets while the camera was covered up with black paper, smoke or flash paper in front of the camera, the flash paper burning to reveal the final shot. And he got accused of cheating and not doing it in one take because it rules too hard.

Premonitions Following An Evil Deed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7EJwCr5Yew

Big Bad Idiot has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jul 22, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

regime change is ok

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1682166258505076737?s=46&t=2TAq-bmW7vabKj6xLeOfnA

Oh, the most communist tv show is going on strike? Shocker

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Watched the Venture Bros Ending Movie - Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart. It was less of a movie and more of a weird abridged version of all the ideas the writers had for season 8.

Because of the runtime, they had to cut quite a few characters.No Molovov, Killinger, Underbeit, Wide Wale, Sirena or Professor Impossible.

Anyway, the reveal that The Monarch is actually a clone of Dr. Venture seemed half-assed. I was on board with him being salty that he thought Venture slept with his ex. The post credits scene where it was revealed that Dr. Venture brought the boys to term Death Stranding style was weirldy sweet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

No one told me that communism would take away my treats!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

I was hoping there won't be a season 2 because they'll gently caress it up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I still wanna see comprador jarjar

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
just got back from Oppenheimer

I came in with fairly low expectations, but they were greatly exceeded, and I will go so far as to say that the narrative takes a credible and sincere anti-nuclear-bomb position

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

just got back from Oppenheimer

I came in with fairly low expectations, but they were greatly exceeded, and I will go so far as to say that the narrative takes a credible and sincere anti-nuclear-bomb position
I like Oppenheimer's final quote: "If only I had known that the Soviet entry into the Asian theater of the war would break the resolve of the Japanese, them having only held out in the hope of the Soviets demanding a negotiated settlement. Now I must take into the grave the sin of having created a doomsday weapon and handing it to monsters. Monsters who used it not to end the war, but to signal their willingness to burn down the world if they did not get their way. In my folly I thought I was Death, but the true Destroyers of Worlds are the US military industrial complex.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ooh the venture bros movie is out!
Hell yeah

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I was hoping there won't be a season 2 because they'll gently caress it up.
I'm mostly optimistic because both seasons were written at the same time and hopefully Gilroy has enough pull to keep any meddlers at bay

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Barbie movie was perfect except it was missing a Wheelchair Barbie as a supporting character

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Hell yeah

It's perfect. A love letter to the fans and a beautiful goodbye.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Communist Thoughts posted:

Hell yeah

nice

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I like Oppenheimer's final quote: "If only I had known that the Soviet entry into the Asian theater of the war would break the resolve of the Japanese, them having only held out in the hope of the Soviets demanding a negotiated settlement. Now I must take into the grave the sin of having created a doomsday weapon and handing it to monsters. Monsters who used it not to end the war, but to signal their willingness to burn down the world if they did not get their way. In my folly I thought I was Death, but the true Destroyers of Worlds are the US military industrial complex.

Apparently the biography of Oppenheimer Nolan read is fantastic, as good as the Power Broker.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Does anyone ever get tired of lovely takes?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Just got out of Oppenheimer too. Very much anti-bomb and pro-lefty. Amazing in 70 mm and love Goransson’s score.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He concluded, ”My eye is a NUCLEAR EXPLOSION”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wakendoll Forever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Clip-On Fedora posted:

He concluded, ”start a nuclear war at the GAY BAR GAY BAR GAY BAR”

Segue
May 23, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently the biography of Oppenheimer Nolan read is fantastic, as good as the Power Broker.

Yeah, American Prometheus, besides having an absolutely perfect title, really dives into the motivations and mood of the era and is absolutely devastating in its depiction of Oppenheimer's persecution during the McCarthy era which I've read is the movie's second half. Required reading.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Segue posted:

Yeah, American Prometheus, besides having an absolutely perfect title, really dives into the motivations and mood of the era and is absolutely devastating in its depiction of Oppenheimer's persecution during the McCarthy era which I've read is the movie's second half. Required reading.

The last hour is a solid look at McCarthyism and how mental it was in trying to destroy Oppenheimer for having objections once the military took control of Little Boy and Fat Man.

Loads of people in pink around London today. Guessing Barbenheimer is going as planned.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Let's see some more culture war crap

https://twitter.com/DrTanyaRoth/status/1682460003943297025

https://twitter.com/anthonyocampo/status/1682406287555055618

also

https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1682654620470988801

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

The idea that movies have to cater to absolutely everyone is a plague

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

there are endless numbers of movies with women speaking in the opening seconds of a film

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MassTran posted:

the worst thing any american can imagine is media meant for someone other than themselves

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

loquacius posted:

the worst thing any american can imagine is media meant for someone other than themselves

That's a devastating blend of hyper-individualism and either liberal academic social justice or the conservative reaction to it depending on the context. Drives me loving bonkers

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oppenheimer is a 'flick'.' Films have the Joker in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MassTran posted:

The ultimate movie will simply be an electrical wire directly stimulating your brains pleasure centers. Every demographic loves it equally.