Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oracle posted:

Yes they’re doing XBB only boosters instead of bivalent but likely not for you if Offitt gets his way (or you’re in Britain)

CNN

I can’t believe I used to think that guy was cool. Maybe you deserved that libel suit from Wakefield after all, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wish that Hilleman could visit Offit in a dream and talk some sense to him.

Then again, Plotkin is still kicking and unable to break through. (archive link)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can’t believe I used to think that guy was cool. Maybe you deserved that libel suit from Wakefield after all, buddy.

Agree with Offit or not, but no-one deserves that.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Why are people upset with Offit?

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 21, 2023

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Why are people upset with Offit?

Because he made a remark that the covid vaccines should really only be for the elderly.

Dr. Paul Offit posted:

“If the goal of the vaccine is the stated goal, which is protection against severe disease, do you really need a yearly vaccine for otherwise healthy people less than 75? I mean, is this the flu model? Because I would argue it shouldn’t be.”

It's entirely possible that this is being taken out of context because there is a possible interpretation that he is saying "we don't have to do it yearly like the flu if last year's version still provides some level of protection for people under 75"

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 22, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GutBomb posted:

Because he made a remark that the covid vaccines should really only be for the elderly.

It's entirely possible that this is being taken out of context because there is a possible interpretation that he is saying "we don't have to do it yearly like the flu if last year's version still provides some level of protection for people under 75"

I was under the impression that protection on these was basically gone after 6 months or something, so if THAT was his point then . . . yeahhhhhh . . . maybe he'd be better suited for a different line of work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zarin posted:

I was under the impression that protection on these was basically gone after 6 months or something, so if THAT was his point then . . . yeahhhhhh . . . maybe he'd be better suited for a different line of work.

I don't think it's that the protection is fully gone, it is not like code, it varies. But I think it's established that it definitely wanes, partly because the variant that is here now may not be similar enough to the variant that the vaccine was for for it to work well.

The 6 month booster schedule has generated a lot of "pop science" that sounds correct and has aspects of the truth sprinkled in.

Again, I don't necessarily think that was what he meant, that's just an interpretation I've seen, and the one the CNN article ( https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/15/health/fda-advisers-covid-19-boosters/index.html ) that the quote is from appears to be steering the reader to without outright saying it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has there been any news on that universal version of the vaccine that was being discussed last year? The US military was doing research for it. I can’t find anything more recent than last February.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Universal, nasal, and other Covid vaccines aren't being made under the 'throw most of the regulatory paperwork out the window' mad dash of Operation Warp Speed the first vaccines were made under.

So they need to find unvaccinated people who've never had Covid before AND willing to be a guinea pig, then test them for a while to see fi they're not going to keel over from the vaccine first (mRNA tests had the advantage of that being done years ago for other respiratory diseases that settled themselves without serious intervention.) THEN they get to test to see if they actually work. And go through the entire slog of creating a brand new medication. You can form your own conclusions on the demographics of 'never vaccinated, never covided, willing to be guinea pig for medical science' which will slow things down on its own.

Walter Reed Institute has had a promising vaccine that they were working on back in early 2021? that they were supposed to announce results on later that year that they've gone completely media silent on.

Those tests aren't going to be done for years. I doubt any of them have finished, or meaningfully progressed through, phase 1 'will this cause harm to the humans we put it in' testing.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

killer_robot posted:

the 'screw all the safety procedures, push push push!' the first vaccines were made under

You sound like an anti vaxxer when you make ridiculous claims like all safety procedures were abandoned.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GutBomb posted:

I don't think it's that the protection is fully gone, it is not like code, it varies. But I think it's established that it definitely wanes, partly because the variant that is here now may not be similar enough to the variant that the vaccine was for for it to work well.

The 6 month booster schedule has generated a lot of "pop science" that sounds correct and has aspects of the truth sprinkled in.

Again, I don't necessarily think that was what he meant, that's just an interpretation I've seen, and the one the CNN article ( https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/15/health/fda-advisers-covid-19-boosters/index.html ) that the quote is from appears to be steering the reader to without outright saying it.

Ah, gotcha. Still, sounds like an annual shot might not be a terrible thing, at least for the people that want it.

I dunno, the whole gatekeeping thing just rubs me the wrong way I guess.

Wahhabi Lobby
Nov 3, 2020
https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/local-news/ive-never-seen-anything-like-this-illegal-medical-lab-discovered-in-reedley/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What makes this illegal? Was it just like a regular biotech business without the right permits or was it some kind of weird secret poo poo like a larger criminal enterprise? There’s context missing in that article that leaves unclear whether this is some kind of mystery or people cutting corners on a conventional sort of operation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
quality of reporting on it seems to... vary

https://abc30.com/reedley-lab-hazardous-materials-medical-waste-prestige-biotech/13555300/

quote:

"There were some laboratory mice on-site at this location. What we heard from the business owner was that they were doing some type of testing with those mice to see whether or not their Covid test kits were actually effective in detecting Covid. So, that was one example of what they shared with the purpose of the laboratory mice were being on-site," said Assistant Director with the Fresno County Department of Public Health, Joe Prado.

In addition to the 951 mice that were either dead or in distress, a state medical waste investigation shows refrigerators and freezers with blood and containers labeled as "serum or plasma," and found Prestige Biotech is not registered with the department as a medical waste generator.

Court documents also show CDC staff found at least 20 potentially infectious agents from chlamydia to hepatitis.

City staff say those in the lab told them "they are making pregnancy and COVID-19 tests."

Zieba says they learned the company previously operated in Fresno.

"Our understanding is that this company was in Fresno, there was a fire that displaced them and for an unknown measure they just happened to Reedley that they stopped in for storage and interim operation," said Zieba.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officials-believe-fresno-warehouse-was-site-illegal-laboratory-rcna96756

quote:

According to court documents, city officials inspected the location at 850 I St. on March 3 for building violations and found various chemicals being stored. On March 16, an inspection by county public health officials allegedly turned up medical devices thought to have been developed on-site, such as Covid and pregnancy tests.

"Certain rooms of the warehouse were found to contain several vessels of liquid and various apparatus," court documents said. "Fresno County Public Health staff also observed blood, tissue and other bodily fluid samples and serums; and thousands of vials of unlabeled fluids and suspected biological material."

Hundreds of mice at the warehouse were kept in inhumane conditions, court documents said. The city took possession of the animals in April, euthanizing 773 of them; more than 175 were found dead.

An investigation found the tenant was Prestige BioTech, a company registered in Nevada and unlicensed for business in California. City officials spoke with Xiuquin Yao, who was identified as the company president, through emails included in the court documents.

Yao told officials that Prestige BioTech moved assets belonging to a defunct company, Universal Meditech Inc., to the Reedley warehouse from Fresno after UMI went under. Prestige Biotech was a creditor to UMI and identified as its successor, according to court documents.

"The other addresses provided for identified authorized agents were either empty offices or addresses in China that could not be verified," court documents said.

it is, at minimum, incredibly sketchy in perfectly normal ways for an apparently chinese biotech company :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
All of this is very illegal from several directions; test kits are regulated by FDA as medical devices and have a bunch of approval requirements (even though they were loosened for covid test kits for a time, they weren't loosened that much, and these people appear to have also been testing a number of other diseases), they were handling lab animals in violation of animal welfare law, they were handling disease specimens in violation of...well a bunch of things, they were storing their materials in an illegal space.

Universal Meditech, which sounded familiar, as a successor is also a bad sign, because:
Recall link here

This seems to have been the parent company from my limited research so far, which is just...wild:
https://pi-global.com/index.html

In practice this seems to have been a fraudulent/illegal/fly-by-night medical device setup which purchased the remaining assets of another fraudulent company (possibly it's the same people with both companies, setting up multiple shell entities), then moved it all into a storage warehouse in preparation for setting up another fake facility (I can't entirely tell whether they were actually using it as a lab). This is bolstered by the (now removed) ads I found for the company:

The address is an empty lot, and as you can probably guess the rest of that description isn't exactly kosher either.

If anyone can track down the court documents involved, I'd love to dig into it further. Usually when someone sets up a bogus device company like this, they just don't have documentation- they don't set up weird black labs to generate it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 30, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Discendo Vox posted:

In practice this seems to have been a fraudulent/illegal/fly-by-night medical device setup which purchased the remaining assets of another fraudulent company (possibly it's the same people with both companies, setting up multiple shell entities), then moved it all into a storage warehouse in preparation for setting up another fake facility (I can't entirely tell whether they were actually using it as a lab).
Christ, why can't these people just do smash-and-grabs like honest, dignified criminals?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

All of this is very illegal from several directions; test kits are regulated by FDA as medical devices and have a bunch of approval requirements (even though they were loosened for covid test kits for a time, they weren't loosened that much, and these people appear to have also been testing a number of other diseases), they were handling lab animals in violation of animal welfare law, they were handling disease specimens in violation of...well a bunch of things, they were storing their materials in an illegal space.

Universal Meditech, which sounded familiar, as a successor is also a bad sign, because:
https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...igen-rapid-test

This seems to have been the parent company from my limited research so far, which is just...wild:
https://pi-global.com/index.html

In practice this seems to have been a fraudulent/illegal/fly-by-night medical device setup which purchased the remaining assets of another fraudulent company (possibly it's the same people with both companies, setting up multiple shell entities), then moved it all into a storage warehouse in preparation for setting up another fake facility (I can't entirely tell whether they were actually using it as a lab). This is bolstered by the (now removed) ads I found for the company:

The address is an empty lot, and as you can probably guess the rest of that description isn't exactly kosher either.

If anyone can track down the court documents involved, I'd love to dig into it further. Usually when someone sets up a bogus device company like this, they just don't have documentation- they don't set up weird black labs to generate it.

Your recall link is broken, but that other link... yikes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Recall link should now be fixed. It looks like some sort of link shortening has been added to the forums that fucks up copying and pasting the shortened link; not great.

edit: what the hell, it's even converting it back into the shortened url and hyperlink when I remove the url tags.

edit 2: try now, if I attach the url to separate post text the shortnening shouldn't occur.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 30, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Recall link should now be fixed. It looks like some sort of link shortening has been added to the forums that fucks up copying and pasting the shortened link; not great.

and its still doing it. Send it through tinyurl?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mellow Seas posted:

Christ, why can't these people just do smash-and-grabs like honest, dignified criminals?

I'm guessing they're doing all sorts of below board testing through this shell company in the hopes that that'll allow them to produce an above board product through another company faster.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kennedy Jr has written so many antivax books (all of which appear likely to be ghostwritten) that I can't tell which to get and review for the thread. Does anyone have suggestions?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Kennedy Jr has written so many antivax books (all of which appear likely to be ghostwritten) that I can't tell which to get and review for the thread. Does anyone have suggestions?

check it out from the library so you don't give that idiot a dime.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Anything I get will be used, he won't be seeing any money.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the chuds on twitter are making noise like mandatory masking is coming back as part of biden's plan to ???

presumably no reliable source is saying this? because that would make the money sad.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Deviant posted:

the chuds on twitter are making noise like mandatory masking is coming back as part of biden's plan to ???

presumably no reliable source is saying this? because that would make the money sad.

Chuds from time to time work themselves up into a frenzy about something. There's nothing even tangentially real to get worked up to at the moment so they're defaulting to a prior panic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was there ever mandatory masking? I guess they’re talking about the rules for trains and buses?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was there ever mandatory masking? I guess they’re talking about the rules for trains and buses?

i'm not splitting hairs over the specifics, the chuds are just louder than usual today and i wasnt sure if there was a reason

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Deviant posted:

i'm not splitting hairs over the specifics, the chuds are just louder than usual today and i wasnt sure if there was a reason

The latest variant has started to spread quite rapidly in North America (I can’t figure out why, we’re so cautious!), so I’m sure it’s just them going into full panic mode that mandatory lock downs at gunpoint with forced microchip injections are coming back, or whatever weird reality existed in their heads over the past few years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deviant posted:

Didn’t mean to imply anything there other than that they’re stupid. I believe US wastewater numbers have been going up rapidly for the last few weeks, so they’re probably just giving the usual conditioned response to any mention of covid.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Deviant posted:

The reason is basically always the same: a chud media outlet or Twitter circulated some wildly inflammatory nonsense and told them to get loud about it. There's not much sense in trying to connect stuff like that to real-world events, because events in the universe of alternative facts don't actually need to have any connection to reality at all.

That said, if I throw "COVID masking" into Google, I get a couple articles about hospitals reinstituting masking requirements in the last couple of days, and a handful of news articles speculating about a return to general masking in response to a potential "summer surge" of COVID.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 19, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can we get masks on airplanes back that would be really sweet rn

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Masks aren't coming back. That ship has sailed.

Like, even if a totally different virus like bird flu really took off I doubt we could get people to mask anymore. The well is poisoned.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spankmeister posted:

Like, even if a totally different virus like bird flu really took off I doubt we could get people to mask anymore. The well is poisoned.

You’re prolly right. But poo poo I work in an airport and have cancer and my wife is a pregnant stewardess trapped in a tube with southerners most days

Then again back when we had rules, the people who didn’t bother were usually the people who flipped their poo poo about constitutional right to cough in your eyeballs if reminded of the rules :patriot:

Sorry I’m just kinda venting, here’s to round three most likely

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

The overlap of American chud and people who take buses or trains more than once a decade is going to be a very, very thin Venn diagram overlap.

Even from a European perspective I don’t see any way masks will come back on public transport. I think the US is more into COVID mitigation and treatment than anywhere in Europe at this point, eg i don’t have any idea where one could even get a vaccine here and they never did paxlovid.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Eh, the skies turning dark orange in New York City back in June from Canadian wildfire smoke seemed to trigger a noticeable uptick in high quality N95 masking among the population. If it becomes something even the most sheltered deliberate ignorant can't ignore, I can see it happening.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Europe is a patchwork anyway, vaccine availability and eligibility was wildly different between countries.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oracle posted:

Eh, the skies turning dark orange in New York City back in June from Canadian wildfire smoke seemed to trigger a noticeable uptick in high quality N95 masking among the population. If it becomes something even the most sheltered deliberate ignorant can't ignore, I can see it happening.

There's nothing stopping people from masking voluntarily, and I'm sure way more people are used to it and own N95 (or FFP2/3) masks than before the pandemic, but I am talking about mask mandates. I don't see those coming back pretty much ever. Maybe if enough time passes until the next pandemic for it to not be so politicized anymore.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Saladman posted:

The overlap of American chud and people who take buses or trains more than once a decade is going to be a very, very thin Venn diagram overlap.

This is very much not true on the Northeast Corridor.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

spankmeister posted:

Bring back smallpox, let's see if they're still such hardasses about masks then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Bring back smallpox, let's see if they're still such hardasses about masks then.