Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

really does seem like this year is the tipping point, trying not to panic and lol instead

Throw your hands up in the air and go wheeeeeeee like it's a roller coaster plunging down the big hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Maybe everything will turn out fine

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Maybe everything will turn out fine

matters how you define fine

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Throw your hands up in the air and go wheeeeeeee like it's a roller coaster plunging down the big hill

I'm of the Wile E. Coyote school of "Never Look Down And You Can Never Fall".

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Stereotype posted:

matters how you define fine

Ultrafine particles (UFPs) are aerosols with an aerodynamic diameter of 0.1 µm (100 nm) or less.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

Ultrafine particles (UFPs) are aerosols with an aerodynamic diameter of 0.1 µm (100 nm) or less.

oh yeah, things are definitely gonna be fine

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I think it might finally be time to vote

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

worst collapse ever

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
climate change is watching videos on your phone of more damaging and frequent weather disasters until it is your phone recording, except it's too hot so you can't record it and miss out on all those dank likes

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

current vibes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nsKDJlpUbA

best collapse ever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1682464536069300226

lmao

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

i love that human technology gives us such a historically unprecedented detailed view into exactly how we're loving ourselves over

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

netizen posted:

was gonna finally get my poo poo together this year too. Oh well.

2020 I decided to start smoking and that doesn't seem like a bad decision

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

2020 I decided to start smoking and that doesn't seem like a bad decision

smoking ftw

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

where is venus by tuesday :mad:

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Demon Of The Fall posted:

really does seem like this year is the tipping point, trying not to panic and lol instead

anecdotally, from disaster relief work, folks with depression and anxiety tend to clarify in crisis situations

all that excess brain that’s sad is geared for an immediacy that’s uncommon in our present society

stay up everyone, don’t despair, check in with your neighbors before it gets too hectic

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zodium posted:

smoking ftw

gaia agrees :thumbsup:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think I'd believe this plot if the target date were 2040 but 2100?? lulz

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"2 degrees" of warning is the average across the entire surface of Earth, including oceans. 2 degrees warmer means that the US corn belt becomes at least 5 degrees warmer.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

The ~worst case scenario we must avoid~ was 2C back in 1998.

It's the happiest, best case outcome we can expect in TYOOL 2023. Which means 3C will be the most optimistic outcome, with 4-5c just at the precipice by 2100.; a world that will not be comfortable for any macroscale life, at all, for the foreseeable future. A 6c world would be apocalyptic, even for any society that might survive 4c. Imagine a 6c world -- you can't. Industrial agriculture wouldn't exist in 6c. We wouldn't have any sort of major photosynthesis within the tropics, correct?

Hooray. :)

A Bad King has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Jul 21, 2023

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

HOLY

poo poo

PISS

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

faster than expected

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

THAT'S RIGHT MOTHERFUCKER I SAID "HAIL FLOE"

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fell Mood posted:

I'm thinking of a facility, powered by its own nuclear reactor, that pulls carbon from the air, compresses it into diamond bricks, and we dump the diamonds into the ocean.

diamonds are carbon, like trees, which float. the crystal diamonds covering the surface of the ocean then create millions of lens focusing the sun's energy into the ocean, boiling it within the year.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

There's cringe in the climate science

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
If it's ice and it's moving it's a glacier. The climate is healing

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

quote:

Power plants are churning across the United States and China, the world’s leading emitters of greenhouse gases, struggling to meet air-conditioning demand. Wildfires are raging in Southern Europe and Canada, with more than a month of peak fire season left. Explosive thunderstorms, torrential monsoons and extreme heat are sowing destruction and threatening lives across three continents.

And there is little relief in sight, from the mountains and megacities of Asia to the lakes and rivers of Europe or the plains, forests and suburbs of North America. In the short-term, meteorologists predicted more intense heat and extreme weather over the next month.

In the long-term, scientists say, climate change is making heat waves hotter, more frequent and longer; making wildfires bigger and more intense; affecting air quality, rainfall, and droughts — reaching every corner of Earth, driven by the burning of fossil fuels by humans.

“The hard part isn’t over,” Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis of Greece said on Thursday. In his country, wildfires have burned scores of homes and thousands of acres of forestland over the last week, and temperatures are forecast to reach 113 degrees Fahrenheit, or 45 Celsius, on Sunday in the central region of Thessaly.

A fire service spokesman, Ioannis Artopios, said that the intensely dry heat was creating “even more difficult” conditions for Greek firefighters. Similarly parched conditions have fueled the record fire season in Canada, where more than 25 million acres have burned so far this year.

Given the expectation that the heat will persist, parts of Southern Europe are bracing for the next wave even as the temperatures have ebbed — albeit just slightly — over the past couple of days.

Italian hospitals have reported a rise in heat-related emergencies as temperatures crept toward 100 Fahrenheit, or 38 Celsius. Unions, government officials and businesspeople met to discuss how to protect workers from the heat, which is creating dangerous conditions on construction sites, tarmacs, and city streets. One business leader compared the heat’s impact on workers to the Covid-19 pandemic and called for “extraordinary measures” in response.

In Spain, the authorities officially declared an end to the heat emergency on Thursday. But the nation’s weather monitor warned people not to “lower our guard,” given that the risk of wildfires in the hot, dry conditions remains high in much of the country.

Across Europe, the searing temperatures have taken a particular toll on older people, with southern European nations being joined by others as far north as Belgium in putting heat-relief plans in place, many aimed at safeguarding older populations.

Extreme heat can be dangerous for anyone, but older people and outdoor workers are at particular risk. Summer heat waves in Europe last year may have killed 61,000 people across the continent, according to a recent study.

Some health officials around the world have started to link deaths to extreme heat this year. Heat and humidity have been particularly devastating in northern Mexico, where more than 100 people died of heat-related causes this yearthe region, according to reports from the federal health ministry.

In Asia, the extremely high temperatures have been compounded by an intense monsoon season that has already taken more than 100 lives in India, South Korea and Japan, with the full death toll likely to be considerably higher.

Severe rainfall has replaced the intense heat in India in recent weeks, particularly in the Himalayan states of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh. The intense downpours have caused massive landslides and flash floods, killing at least 130 people in the past 26 days in northern India.

An April report by India’s government foreshadowed such an outcome, warning that “with unchecked global warming, the probability of compound extremes such as the simultaneous occurrence of droughts and heat waves is also likely to increase.” Droughts can make flash floods more likely because soil becomes less absorbent.

Heat waves in India normally occur before the monsoon season, from March to June. But this year, temperatures have remained extremely high for far longer, reflecting a steady warming trend in recent years. While a temperature of 91 degrees or more was recorded, on average, 70 days a year between 1961 and 1990, between 1991 to 2022 there were an average of 89 days hitting that mark.
Another heat wave continued to bake much of China on Friday, shattering records across the country.

The far western region of Xinjiang has been particularly hard hit. Temperatures on Sunday at a remote desert township hit 126 degrees (52 Celsius), reportedly breaking the record for the highest temperature in China. Parts of Xinjiang were expected to keep seeing three-digit temperatures, according to official media, and the authorities said they were on alert for potential wildfires.

Late July is historically the hottest time of year in southern China, and officials there warned that high humidity would make temperatures feel almost 20 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the actual measurements.

China’s largest freshwater lake, Poyang Lake, started its dry season on Thursday, the earliest since record-keeping began in the 1950s, according to the authorities in Jiangxi Province.

And in northern China, several cities, including Beijing, have broken records for the most days in a year above 95 degrees, although rainstorms that began Thursday night were expected to finally bring some relief.

But the storms brought their own concerns, as officials warned of potential flash floods around the capital. Two years ago, the city of Zhengzhou, in central China, recorded what state media said was the most rainfall on record ever to fall in a single hour in the country. The downpours killed at least 300 people.

Chinese power stations have recently their own broken records for generating electricity — burning more coal, an important contributor to global warming, to meet energy air-conditioning demand — and Chinese leaders rebuffed a U.S. overture this week to commit to tougher climate action.

There was similar demand for electricity in the United States, where more than a quarter of the population experienced dangerous heat on Thursday, according to a New York Times analysis of daily weather and population data.

Late Thursday, the operator of California’s power grid issued an emergency alert urging people to conserve electricity as high temperatures strained the system. In Phoenix, the temperature hit 116 degrees on Thursday, extending the city’s record streak to 21 straight days with temperatures of 110 degrees or higher.

Severe storms, particularly in the southeastern United States, have further battered the energy grid. Hundreds of thousands of people lost power as strong thunderstorms knocked out power lines on Thursday, leaving 150,000 homes without electricity in Georgia, and in western Tennessee, and causing blackouts in 52,000 homes and businesses.

Forecasters said the current heat wave was expected to last through the weekend in the Deep South and Southeast and into next week for the Southwest. Nearly 80 million Americans are expected to face temperatures above 105 in the next few days, the National Weather Service said.

Another U.S. agency, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, predicted unusually high temperatures in most of the country next month, almost everywhere except the northern Great Plains. On Thursday, NOAA reported that last month was the planet’s warmest June since global temperature record-keeping began in 1850.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/21/world/asia/record-heat-wave-flooding-climate-change.html

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
It took me a long time to come to grips with what a biosphere collapse with no definable inflection point looks like. I think the best mental analogy I've developed over time is that we're experiencing something like a global dementia or death by Alzheimer's. First we slowly forget what it was like to live in a hospitable world. Then we get angry at those trying to remind us that things were ever different. Then we forget all of the progress we built up - the medicine, the food production methods, the technology and tools. Then our collective memory is shredded by the extinction bottleneck itself until it's only passed down by whatever (if anything) remains of us.

Danru
May 23, 2022

lmao there's also this:
https://twitter.com/scottduncanwx/status/1682409494611886080?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg
And this lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYaSxDqPZus

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It took me a long time to come to grips with what a biosphere collapse with no definable inflection point looks like. I think the best mental analogy I've developed over time is that we're experiencing something like a global dementia or death by Alzheimer's. First we slowly forget what it was like to live in a hospitable world. Then we get angry at those trying to remind us that things were ever different. Then we forget all of the progress we built up - the medicine, the food production methods, the technology and tools. Then our collective memory is shredded by the extinction bottleneck itself until it's only passed down by whatever (if anything) remains of us.

no, it's increasing lmaos with your bros until you're the lmao

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

A Bad King posted:

We may collapse by 2030. We may collapse by 2040. Will Something Awful continue on beyond those years? I hope so, I want to keep on posting. I got another 10-20 years of posting left. That's an amazing, positive outlook. More charts! More dome! More lmao! The number is eternal.

best $10 I ever spent

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

there's that sudden temperature change lecture on youtube, posted in the last thread, that identified multiple periods through history of 5°-10° change in a single year for glacier samples

skip to around 20m in if you want the money shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRs4kIthJ9k

video is like a decade old as well by now lol
this video is ten years old

old news!!!! tricked again doomers!!!!!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's summer, it's suppsoed to be hot

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

gently caress

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Crazypoops posted:

no, it's increasing lmaos with your bros until you're the lmao

occasionally civilizations just take a pratfall and we happen to live in the biggest one that will ever exist

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
+1C per year for five years

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
it turns out the sea peoples were inside us all along

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

there's that sudden temperature change lecture on youtube, posted in the last thread, that identified multiple periods through history of 5°-10° change in a single year for glacier samples

skip to around 20m in if you want the money shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRs4kIthJ9k

video is like a decade old as well by now lol

this is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

rabble rabble posted:

it turns out the sea peoples were inside us all along

actually we are the C peoples, because we measure global temperature warming in Celsius