Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Burning_Monk posted:

The whole "clip" episode was predicated on the fact they all needed to update their phones. The gangs had to deal with similar stuff already too.

QR code menus are the bane of my existence I felt that one.

I completely forgot about that as the premise

I only ever remember Frank's legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Faucet Drinker posted:

I can see where some complaints are coming from regarding the season ender, but despite being irregular for the gang that episode was really good, and the twist at the end just keeps getting funnier the further I get away from it. Truly he is a Golden God.

Not too hard, not too soft

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

1glitch0 posted:

I was getting later South Park vibes like where Cartman was annoyed about musicians outside of Whole Foods or some other very specific rich celebrity southern California gripe where the rich, pampered out of touch creators just put their complaints in the mouths of dumb Denver kids and it feels dumb and off.

When I think of 5 idiot degenerates running a dying dive bar in Philly I don't think of such pressing concerns as linking up your Apple watch heart monitor to your phone, having problems with the cashier at the local boba tea place, complaints about your Tesla and phone store. These sound more like the problems of millionaire actors in Hollywood! Oh well.

Too bad we were stuck there instead of the better plot of 4 idiots trying to turn coal into diamonds in a pressure cooker.

"Frank has infinite money and will buy them out of any jam" is built into the premise of the show, I'm never concerned they're not correctly presenting the working class. None of these people have an actual job, the fact that they run a bar hasn't been relevant on an episode-to-episode basis since like season 6.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That is a Usual Suspects walkout :tviv:

Annabel Pee posted:

It’s funny seeing the turnaround from idea the story in real time, it’s clearly about Glenn’s story from the podcast a while back about his Tesla being stuck in the car park and getting stuck on customer service lol.

Also them all getting their blood and vitals tested.

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, seriously!?!

Edit: Holy poo poo it was. Last season was only 8 episodes too but I somehow forgot.

Well... see you all in a year I guess! :shrug:

Nah we'll still have the podcast to chat about every week. What? Hang on, I'm being handed some new information... oh goddammit.

Super Deuce posted:

Main complaint is that the season finale didn’t have the gang really.

Sensing some major schedule shuffling being worked around, or they're just paying Dennis back for skipping out on like 2 other season finales. Also seems like they'll use the last episode to save some cash. S13 was Mac's Dance which only had a few locations and not even the full gang appeared, and S14 was them standing around in an empty lazer tag room.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I flip back and forth on whether I think Waiting for Big Mo is art or garbage. Anyone know if the writer had a lovely life escaping Nazis or something?

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

I didn't really get Waiting For Big Mo the first few times and found it lackluster, and then something clicked and now I see it one of the few episodes that tries to scratch at an existential theme. The whole thing has a very Quixote way of talking about life while never really talking about it. There is something delightfully profound about taking fear of living and the merit vs the value of our actions and shoving it into a dialogue about some punk kid at lasertag.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Faucet Drinker posted:

I didn't really get Waiting For Big Mo the first few times and found it lackluster, and then something clicked and now I see it one of the few episodes that tries to scratch at an existential theme. The whole thing has a very Quixote way of talking about life while never really talking about it. There is something delightfully profound about taking fear of living and the merit vs the value of our actions and shoving it into a dialogue about some punk kid at lasertag.

I didn't read anything deeper onto it then a meta commentary on the show itself and especially at that time in the show where there were vibes they might be ending it.

I think it's a really great episode through that lens.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I like when frank goes pew pew with his mouth

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

FireWorksWell posted:

I like when frank goes pew pew with his mouth

He's the monster of the game.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I didn't think it was a bad episode but in a way it was also not fully a sunny episode, it was a Glenn Howerton flexing his Dennis, which was great to watch and of course the whole episode was in a way an easter egg for podcast listeners and kind of an invitation to observer the transformation from a concept to an episode although it wasn't really like, a sunny episode but more of a fantasy retelling of that time Glenn got stuck out of his car, kind of punctuating the differences between real Glenn and a Glenn who can't resist his worst tendencies (aka Dennis), the actual misstep here is that Dennis's outbursts are always better served by someone in the situation reacting to him, usually with a mixture of shock and pity, like the african american nurse when Dee has the baby, that was one of the best Dennis moments as the rage is answered in a way that contextualizes Dennis' actual impotence, other occasions like with the rich yuppie dad and the land rover where the guy just walks off mid monologue and Dennis is left there "high on his own supply" you could say, like this dynamic of Dennis being in a sense the most grounded of the gang and the only one who truly knows how sad everything they do is is part of the greatness.

So to contrast this episode really had little of that, Dennis' monologues were met by disinterested service folks but in an actual episode of sunny he would have been thrown out of at least one store, Dennis going into his own head never had such positive results for Dennis, usually he winds up sucking his own dick or something, so it was fun watching Glenn do his thing but it would have been better had it attempted to actually build a sunny episode around it and maybe also kind of laugh at Glenn in the process a bit?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Takes No Damage posted:

Nah we'll still have the podcast to chat about every week. What? Hang on, I'm being handed some new information... oh goddammit.

I gotta admit I stopped listening to the podcast when they shifted it to video and the first few shows I had to listen to audio of them talking about what they were doing on video or they were laughing/reacting to things they could see without explaining them. It's a pet peeve of mine, so I basically just kind of fell out of the habit of listening. I'm not mad at them though, I'm mad at the system. We're both victims here.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I didn't read anything deeper onto it then a meta commentary on the show itself and especially at that time in the show where there were vibes they might be ending it.

I think it's a really great episode through that lens.

Yeah that's how I felt at first two, and then it clicked that it's just Moby Dick. Big Mo is essentially the white whale for Dennis. Watching it through the lense of laser tag being life and all of us players and having our own choice to play the game however we want and finding joy in that however we please. Charlie Mac branches off and stops following Dennis with this vengeful and strategic fixation, and he's happier. He even gets others to follow. Waiting for the white whale, the Big Mo in our lives to come in and save us or give us that satisfaction or fill that void, we can't really bank on it. Dennis comes to terms with the fact at the very end that no matter how much waiting he does for Big Mo, he might never come and he would be wasting his life to do so and not enjoy it like Mac and Dee. What makes it god drat hilarious is how immediately they throw that lesson out the window and ambush the poo poo out of Big Mo.

Edit: and even that isn't their meaning, cause I just like getting high and watching TV, it's friggin art if its making me feel that

Faucet Drinker fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 21, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait wait wait, are a lot of goons unfamiliar with Waiting For Godot?

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

So I threw on the episode and pulled up the synposis and just came to edit that in. Yes, I was unaware. That's not Moby's dick at all.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Faucet Drinker posted:

So I threw on the episode and pulled up the synposis and just came to edit that in. Yes, I was unaware. That's not Moby's dick at all.

You make a good argument for it being Moby Dick, tho!

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Seems like a mish mash of tropes and such, I stand by my wishy washy take of the episode. There's a conversation in the middle with Dee asking in a very straight forward way about just playing the game and happiness, and now I remember that's where they are reeeally laying it on thick its allegorical.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Open Source Idiom posted:

lol so it would appear

loved the finale this season, especially the detail that dennis predicted the stupid sea-level question from charlie before it actually happened

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In this five point essay I will write which gags and jokes worked for me, which didn't, and why those that didn't work do not fit the central thesis of the show and furthermore

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I think my biggest issue with this season, and many of the most recent seasons, is that the actors are hamming it up way too much. Whatever odd traits or ticks the characters first displayed long ago are now turned up to 11. This goes for the core cast, as well as the actors playing Gail The Snail and The McPoyles (looking at the bowling episode).

Maybe that's just the natural progression of long running shows. In my mind, another great example is what The Office did with the character Kevin.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
they've been hamming it up to insane degrees for twelve years, really the only season that is in any way subdued is the first one and already in season five we have frank vomiting on himself mid conversation.

"tools I need my tools" is the season 7 finale, like really this was far from the hammiest season, in a sense they dialed it back a bit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hughmoris posted:

I think my biggest issue with this season, and many of the most recent seasons, is that the actors are hamming it up way too much. Whatever odd traits or ticks the characters first displayed long ago are now turned up to 11. This goes for the core cast, as well as the actors playing Gail The Snail and The McPoyles (looking at the bowling episode).

Maybe that's just the natural progression of long running shows. In my mind, another great example is what The Office did with the character Kevin.

Yeah I think that it just naturally happens with longer running shows unless you actively try to avoid it. The term describing it, “flanderization”, comes from the way it happened to Ned Flanders in the Simpsons

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ending going back to Dennis in fact having perfect control of his body is good (especially in the context of his body increasingly becoming a ruin) but I can't help but think it would have been funnier if it had ended with him eating the heart, cut to credits

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"tools I need my tools" is the season 7 finale, like really this was far from the hammiest season, in a sense they dialed it back a bit.

yeah I would say the show has been kind of oscillating between 'ridiculous person' and 'screaming cartoon' since about S4 with varying degrees of success, like S7 is also where they break into that Asian Texan family's house to steal a vase lol

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The ending going back to Dennis in fact having perfect control of his body is good (especially in the context of his body increasingly becoming a ruin) but I can't help but think it would have been funnier if it had ended with him eating the heart, cut to credits

I was kind of ready to call it a plot hole when he didn't simply will his blood pressure down in the first scene. Glad to see that the canon is preserved.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RBA Starblade posted:

for a dark ending, cut to him in the chair with a flatline beeee-- and the doc going wtf would be a wild sendoff

i liked the episode tho. once he started being able to walk everywhere my "this doesnt make sense even for sunny"-dar lit up lol

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lol goon literacy at an all time low

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Oh, I bet you read a lotta Gordon Wood, huh? You read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook and you think you're wicked awesome doin' that, And how 'bout' dem apples? And all that Gordon Wood business.”

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That episode was hilarious and awesome until Dennis stranded the car, then it was dumb.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 21, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was on track to be an all-timer before the entirely unnecessary rug pull at the end.

Still good, though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I think that it just naturally happens with longer running shows unless you actively try to avoid it. The term describing it, “flanderization”, comes from the way it happened to Ned Flanders in the Simpsons

The best example I always think of for it is Joey from Friends. In the beginning he's just kinda goofy and not very book smart. By the end of the season he's so dumb that surviving as an adult would be almost impossible.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

lol goon literacy at an all time low

It's not like it's Romeo & Juliet or something, can't be too shocked. I remember when Breaking Bad was wrapping up and a number of insufferable goons couldn't wait to let everyone know they knew the meaning of the Ozymandias episode.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

for a dark ending, cut to him in the chair with a flatline beeee-- and the doc going wtf would be a wild sendoff

i liked the episode tho. once he started being able to walk everywhere my "this doesnt make sense even for sunny"-dar lit up lol

I was waiting for a smash cut to reveal he was being defibrillated after suffering a heart attack or a stroke at the end there.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Cut to the not-tesla smashed into a tree as he wakes up to sirens and stumbles out

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

Vookatos posted:

Can't really say I've enjoyed the last episode. It didn't feel like Always Sunny at all. The first part felt like a stand-up routine, but, like, yeah, I get it. I live in that world. I know that all the apps are annoying. The second part was more chaotic but still didn't have any Always Sunny vibes, and with the ending this whole escalation felt like it'd be more at home in a South Park episode (at least from what I remember of that show)

Yeeeaaaahhh this one "felt a little too real" to me. I didn't really find it funny at all, more just a lil commentary on how gently caress all this technology is; I'm totally agreeing with. But like you said, just not really Sunny vibes for me either.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

We're way way WAY past that point now. The reason Always Sunny has managed to go on as long as it has it because it has embraced how sitcom characters become ridiculous caricatures once the show reaches a certain point.

Anyway, I thought this season was the best overall in a long time. No all time hall of fame episode for me, but not a single weak, or even average one either. Thoroughly enjoyed every episode.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ruddiger posted:

I was waiting for a smash cut to reveal he was being defibrillated after suffering a heart attack or a stroke at the end there.

lmao imagine waking up only to be getting choked with a pillow by jackie haha what a weird fantasy just ist*

e: itsg

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
They talk about the slip away from any realism as the show goes on in the podcast. Glenn seems to be the only person who was actively arguing against that in the editing room, but honestly, I don't think any of us care about the realism 16 seasons deep. If anything the characters continuing to regress every season into literal adult babies is very on theme.

Like I remember early on the show was pitched as Seinfeld on crack, and it's very much been that the entire time. And it was just the ONE time (but it was sooo good)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-ZRxeJIiU

Amazing to see Dennis transform from this into a boomer about technology over the course of the show

He's not wrong though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

The Flanderization makes sense in context. These are people whose toxic codependence has kept their lives stagnant since high school, and they double and triple down on this gang being their entire identities. They're growing old, having never gotten a real job or achieved anything with their lives. All they have are each other and their hairbrained schemes.

Each passing year, their situation gets more and more pathetic, and so do they.