Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Human Tornada posted:

Sausage and giardiniera tavern style first attempt.

Oh gently caress that's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
^^^ I need to get on the tavern style train, that pie looks so good.

I put the pizza hut pans to work tonight and made a regular cheese pizza and a Thai pie like I mentioned last page. Wife bought low fat mozz, so that's what went on the cheese, and she meddled a little with the sauce distribution so it was a little dry, but the kids still ate the poo poo out of it.

Now the Thai pie was pretty dang amazing.

48 hour dough, Thai chili sauce base, mixture of white cheddar & mozz, broccoli, red bell pepper and chicken (marinated in soy, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, and some other bullshit I can't remember).

The Old Chicago version has mushrooms, but we aren't mushroom people, so they stayed at the store. The wife really dug it, and I've got some ideas to improve it next time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If you like a Thai-ish style of pizza search my posts in this thread, I have a satay one I've done and posted about

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

margherita

felino salame

chorizo

salame + basil

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Some really tasty looking pizzas in these last few posts 🔥

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Krillin, I think you perfected pizza

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
So, let's just say that hypothetically, if you have an Ooni in your backyard, and you invite a bunch of people over for pizza, and it starts a hurricane-level downpour just as you start cooking your pizzas, these are a few hypothetical things that could happen!

-The oven won't maintain the proper temperature inside when being absolutely deluged with cold water on the outside
-The pizza will get very wet when launching and pulling, no matter how well you try to hold an umbrella
-The weird temperature issues due to all the water will lead to a very uneven bake

Ask me how I know!

On the good news side, I found that you actually can sorta cook neopolitan dough in a home oven, with some caveats. First, preheat a stone for a long time at 500F. Then, par-cook the crust for several minutes to get some crispiness. Then, cook the pizza with toppings for a bit after that, and use the broiler to get some color on the top.

It is not anything the same as doing it in the high-heat oven, but it was decent enough that we could eat dinner and people seemed to still enjoy it fine, even though I was disappointed. Basically, watch the weather or have your oven covered somehow if it is going to downpour.

That is all.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Forgot to mention in my last post I was showing off my latest Detroit pie to my buddies at my bottle shop/tap room on Friday after work and two of them used their phones to buy a Lloyd pan on the spot lol.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of making pizza dough out of nothing but flour oil salt and water. Yeah it's not authentic but it crisps up really well You can make it as thin as you want and it's tasty as gently caress.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
No yeast?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm a big fan of making pizza dough out of nothing but flour oil salt and water. Yeah it's not authentic but it crisps up really well You can make it as thin as you want and it's tasty as gently caress.

oh boy its time for some POSTS

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

St Louis geotag

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm a big fan of making pizza out of nothing but a bagel, sauce, cheese, and cheap packaged shelf-stable pepperoni

but for real though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm a big fan of making pizza out of nothing but a bagel, sauce, cheese, and cheap packaged shelf-stable pepperoni

but for real though

I’m a big fan of making beer out of water and chamomile myself.

Real post though I was making tavern style the other night when Human Tornada posted a sausage and giardinera in the dinner thread, so I made one too. Great flavor combo.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Eifert Posting posted:

Ancient Israelite pizza :hmmyes:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Ishamael posted:

On the good news side, I found that you actually can sorta cook neopolitan dough in a home oven, with some caveats. First, preheat a stone for a long time at 500F. Then, par-cook the crust for several minutes to get some crispiness. Then, cook the pizza with toppings for a bit after that, and use the broiler to get some color on the top.

This is my process exactly, except for with steel instead of a stone

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We got featured in an industry rag called Pizza Today, part of their “Rising Stars” piece they do once a year. Super proud of my team and what we’ve been able to accomplish.

Bonus Margherita

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hell yeah man! Congrats!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

that's really cool man, gonna pay you for your pizza one of these days

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that's so dank, you're pizza famous.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
So awesome! Hoping to make it out to Vegas this fall around my birthday and Yukon is top of the list of places to eat for sure.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

big thanks to whoever recommended adding a little spelt to your pizza dough a couple of pages back :discourse:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
For those of us using instant yeast, can I just fold unused doughballs into new batches ad infinitum like a sourdough starter?

Clark Nova posted:

big thanks to whoever recommended adding a little spelt to your pizza dough a couple of pages back :discourse:

What does spelt flour do to your crust?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it adds a lot of good bready flavor. though I've only tried a pretty small proportion so far, it doesn't seem to keep it from rising nearly as much as a similar amount of whole wheat would

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's not true for all spelt, but most spelt flour has a higher protein content than all-purpose flour. If you're already using a high protein wheat flour it is not immediately obvious to me what the benefit would be.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

For those of us using instant yeast, can I just fold unused doughballs into new batches ad infinitum like a sourdough starter?

What does spelt flour do to your crust?

Yes, to the yeast bit. However, you may find you need to add a specific amount to make it work well. You may also find that your pizza dough turns sour after a few generations, which is when you either just leave it to keep going as a sourdough pizza, or you toss it and start over with new yeast.

Spelt is a tasty grain related to wheat, but it has a nutty flavor. I'd add it for being delicious and not any gluten related things.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Another dumb pizza question:

Last week I learned about the proper storage of yeast, because mine went bad.

The recipe I use for my poolish is pretty simple: 198g water, 57g each of bread & whole wheat flour, and .2g of active dry yeast. And it occurs to me that it would be pretty simple to add a proofing step, to save myself some flour if it is bad, but I cannot find the proportions to proof by weight to scale for my miniscule mass of yeast. Google, even with +reddit, is useless. Anyone have that by weight?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The recipe I use for my poolish is pretty simple: 198g water, 57g each of bread & whole wheat flour, and .2g of active dry yeast. And it occurs to me that it would be pretty simple to add a proofing step, to save myself some flour if it is bad, but I cannot find the proportions to proof by weight to scale for my miniscule mass of yeast. Google, even with +reddit, is useless. Anyone have that by weight?

You can get a jeweler's scale, although somebody will inevitably wonder if you're a drug dealer when they see it. Another comedy option is to get 1/16th teaspoon (a "pinch"). If a teaspoon of yeast is 3 grams, then that gives you .1875 grams. If you don't want to get anything at all, you just spoon out a measureable amount of yeast on to a sheet of paper, and then divide off a proportion to get its share in the desired weight.

You could also just throw a little bit more yeast in than that little cute amount. I'm using 2 grams for 205 grams of flour.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I hosed up and made a 2+ kg batch of pizza dough using AP flour instead of pizza flour before realizing my mistake. It's way too sticky to use and I'm not sure what to do with it. Can I let it ferment for a bit, then fold it into another batch of pizza dough like a sourdough starter? I have a friend's recipe for sourdough that calls for a 1:4 mix of starter:everything else.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Make a focaccia or four

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can use a mature dough as a starter but an AP pizza dough can easily be turned into calzones or stromboli or or or. You may need to just use flour liberally when rolling

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Need a good focaccia recipe. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

slave to my cravings posted:

I use this one; it's easy and very flexible. I've used Sesame oil instead of olive, thrown everything bagel toppings on it, used sliced onions, and so on:

https://www.thekitchn.com/focaccia-recipe-261454

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I've enjoyed Brian's here:
https://youtu.be/OC2mbadj8gQ

I do the 24 hour version, it works very well for pizza too.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

I really like Samin Nosrat's one from Salt Fat Acid Heat - it's brined, which really helps each bite get that salty flavor.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I will give one of those a shot this week. I mostly just phone it in for focaccia with extra pizza dough and the result is always a bit lacking so it will be good to try something specific.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I made focaccia with my "whoopsie" pizza dough last night. It was tasty, but decidedly not focaccia.

I folded one of the doughballs into a new batch of pizza dough (this time with the correct flour), did a 3-hour ferment, and it made for passable pizza. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

blixa posted:

I really like Samin Nosrat's one from Salt Fat Acid Heat - it's brined, which really helps each bite get that salty flavor.

This is my go-to as well, it always gets rave reviews.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Since I'm still without a pizza oven, I've been looking up pan styles. Does anybody have any thoughts on bar pizza? Or, given it's Boston roots, "Bah Pizzah?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bar pizza will mean different things in different cities.

In general I enjoy a hint of oil in a high 60 to 70 percent hydration and use spray on the pan. 500 to start and drop the oven to 450 more cheese than I should