Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

keep leaving out water for the birds. no matter what happens in the future, you can look back at this time and know you did something to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i recently got out to the olympic peninsula and saw a bunch of very old trees

and the places where they used to be

stayed with a friend who lived there his whole life, and he's in his 60s. had never owned a sprinkler for his plants until a couple years ago. i had to ask because i showed up and there was a sprinkler and i was like 'wtf'

there is a drought now. no fires. no catching steelheads or coho salmon. there aren't enough.

i'm glad i got to see it all. i want to see the redwoods.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Unless posted:

anecdotally, from disaster relief work, folks with depression and anxiety tend to clarify in crisis situations

all that excess brain that’s sad is geared for an immediacy that’s uncommon in our present society

stay up everyone, don’t despair, check in with your neighbors before it gets too hectic
i was born with multigenerational apocalyptic panic brain and the calmest i've ever been was in the face of a pyrocumulonimbus. hineni, hineni

i even get weird nostalgia thinking about that day. like the world's wildest rollercoaster, all my stupid everyday fears just evaporated. you realise what's important: the loving fire.

more and more often nowadays i think how complacency and the ability to normalise was the winning trait for surviving in the daily grind of capitalism, but that is beginning to change.

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Jul 22, 2023

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WeatherSarov1/status/1682439983745867785?s=20

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

SixteenShells posted:

It's just air, air isn't toxic.

I have unfortunate news

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

rabble rabble posted:

it turns out the sea peoples were inside us all along

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i'd be curious to know how many people in phoenix have opened their houses to homeless people sheltering from the heat. that seems to be one thing modern life has crushed: people will still give food and water to others, will advocate for their better treatment, but under no circumstances will they allow anyone into their hermetically sealed private chamber, even to save their life.

as always, this post is brought to you by my own personal guilt and shame.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Now I know the only thing that really matters is posting

Yes.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
if you’re hot they’re hot, let them in.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

SixteenShells posted:

I actually had no idea it was in any consumer products! That's neat. For some reason I assumed it was still in the "only NASA can afford it in large volumes" stage.
Oh yeah, I got them in like 2017 for like $180. Aerogel has actually been around since the 1930s, IIRC.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/toundra-pro-climasalomon-waterproof-ld8639.html#color=29605

Aerogel is pretty cool. The cost is coming down enough that it's actually an alternative for high-performance building insulation (not really cost effective, but not crazy expensive).

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

a strange fowl posted:

i was born with multigenerational apocalyptic panic brain and the calmest i've ever been was in the face of a pyrocumulonimbus. hineni, hineni

i even get weird nostalgia thinking about that day. like the world's wildest rollercoaster, all my stupid everyday fears just evaporated. you realise what's important: the loving fire.

more and more often nowadays i think how complacency and the ability to normalise was the winning trait for surviving in the daily grind of capitalism, but that is beginning to change.

worth noting that “crisis addiction” is real, and it’s a good idea to find ritual practice in decompressing

for me it’s music, flossing and brushing my teeth, taking a stretch and a shower

skipped this last fall responding to an asphalt emulsion spill, replaced it with drinking, started consistently seeing/imagining paved roads melting into the surrounding nature

got a “hazmat trauma” therapist from an EPA criminal investigator

would recommend it to everyone

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/i/status/1682455882980904971

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

*Mutters* Thank God.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

love this guy

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hubbert posted:

things aren't that bad yet

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

legend

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

quote:

A brutal heatwave is persisting throughout much of the US, with cities across the south-west reaching all-time records for hottest consecutive days. Intense heatwaves are becoming more frequent as a result of the climate crisis, but alarmingly, these streaks of hot days are also lasting longer.

People living in cities in Arizona, California and Texas are entering their second month of days in which the temperature reaches 90F (32.2C) and above. Cities such as Phoenix, and Needles in California, have had no relief from this extreme heat in the past 70 days, with Phoenix recently experiencing three consecutive weeks of temperatures reaching 110F (43.3C) and above.

“It’s unfortunately becoming more common,” said Luis Ortiz, climate researcher at George Mason University. “These extreme temperatures are not unheard of in those parts of the country. But as baseline temperatures have been increasing, whenever there’s an event that’s making things hotter, temperatures are going to surpass that 100F threshold more and more frequently.”

The combination of a heat dome, which traps warm ocean air, and the switch from La Niña to El Niño, a climate pattern that draws in warmer-than-usual waters in the Pacific, is surging temperatures across the world. These heatwaves follow a rise in temperatures globally due to the burning of fossil fuels.

“This is a bad perfect storm of extreme heat right now,” Ortiz said.

Dozens of cities have had streaks of days with temperatures at 90F and above. These include Youngtown, Arizona and Blythe, California, which have each experienced 62 uninterrupted hot days, and Alexandria, Louisiana, and Laredo, Texas, at 54 and 52 days respectively.

A heatwave is defined as three consecutive days when temperatures reach 90F and above. Prolonged stretches of days at or above this temperature are a public health concern, because it poses a risk to human life.

“Heat is the number-one weather killer in the US,” said Lauren Casey, a meteorologist at Climate Central, a non-profit climate science news group. Prolonged exposure to high temperatures can cause a loss of consciousness and seizures, and if heat stress is not mitigated, it can damage organs and turn fatal. Even a slight temperature rise can increase the likelihood of illnesses; that risk is exacerbated further when combined with humidity.

El Paso and Palm Springs have experienced streaks of 35 and 27 consecutive days with temperatures at 100F and above.

“Our systems are not prepared to deal with this,” said Gredia Huerta-Montanez, a pediatrician and environmental health researcher at Northeastern University. “Our healthcare professionals need training in these heat-related illnesses because they’re becoming more and more common.”

Humid heat is particularly taxing, as warm air is able to hold more moisture than cold air, preventing the body’s natural ability to cool off through sweating.

Since 1970, average summer night-time temperatures have warmed by 3F across the US, increasing at nearly double the rate of summer daytime temperatures. The rise of overnight temperatures is alarming: at night, the human body rests and recuperates from the daytime heat stress.

“When the overnight minimum temperatures also don’t cool off, your body doesn’t get a break,” said Casey. For 20 consecutive days, night-time temperatures in Phoenix haven’t dropped below 90F. “With stretches of heat in the triple digits for such a prolonged period of time, the population is experiencing a very high risk of heat illness,” said Casey.

Children, the elderly and pregnant people are among the most vulnerable to heat stress, with outdoor workers at much higher risk for heat-related injuries.

When it comes to documenting heat-related illnesses and deaths, the US has a “gross underestimate of heat-related illnesses, injuries and deaths in the US”, said Rachel Licker, principal climate researcher at the Union of Concerned Scientists.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/21/us-heatwaves-longer-south-west

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Nothing more to say after reading the last few pages other then lol

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Only registered members can see post attachments!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I voted 2027 and now I’m thinking that was optimistic

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXuc7SAyk2s

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

a strange fowl posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] i was born with multigenerational apocalyptic panic brain

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Xaris posted:

i want to say its around ~20% have impaired fertility now, which is huge since that number used to be fairly low and people used to just get knocked up on a drop of watery precum. sperm concentrations have also plummeted in guys
proof that we are evolving into homo economicus: JIT sperm inventory

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

"I'm not your dad but," *gestures broadly* "I would get out"

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
the correct answer was 1980

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol at the shift in what is considered an optimistic view palatable to the media compared to a couple of years ago

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

we still have time* to secure a liveable** future*** for many****

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Crazypoops posted:

Everyone is so concerned but we haven't even used our most powerful weapon yet

VOTE
no need to vote, yet. i'll vote when its bad.

efb:

mags posted:

I think it might finally be time to vote

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Jul 22, 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

we still have time* to secure a liveable** future*** for many****

livable is not a high bar and many is not a large number

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

to the people saying 1.5°c is fine

lol

lmao

obama I'm looking at you

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hit Man posted:

to the people saying 1.5°c is fine

lol

lmao

obama I'm looking at you

im flashing back to the forum fights over the paris accords when they were announced

many brave posters were probated and banned

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
It gets to the point where you can feel very angry toward the generations that came before. We could have solved this. We didn't. None of our parents cared at all. Our grandparents, most definitely.

This is silly anger. What good does it do? The only thing that's sensible while living through a slow burning ending (or coming to comprehension the ending started before you were born) is, move past mourning the walking dead, bury the pit into your chest for processing when you have time to breathe, and try to build a community resilient enough to survive the next day.

Isn't that what folks did when the legions left, the last guy who knew how to fix the pipes died, the other guys who kept the recipe for the concrete also, the pipes stopped working, and the crops failed?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Then when the Angles Saxons and Jutes come across the channel and try to start some poo poo, you're prepared.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Car Hater posted:

I used to say I'd rather be right than happy

Then I spent some time away from society, meditating and observing nature and focusing on how wonderful it is to be alive, and how I'd wasted so much time being upset about the oncoming catastrophe

Now I know the only thing that really matters is posting

Climate apocalypsis

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

A Bad King posted:

This is silly anger. What good does it do?

It's part of the grieving process. Get mad! Don't push it away. You're right to be mad

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
massive hailstones soaring in frequency will be the only thing taht prompts any level of civic protest in the USA because they are what most damages cars, which are the real citizens of this country

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's part of the grieving process. Get mad! Don't push it away. You're right to be mad

The train is in the process of falling from the destroyed bridge. We have 5 minutes before hitting the ground. The rear most cars are going with us, but they have about 2 extra minutes.

PMJ starts throwing grandmas out the side doors.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Microplastics posted:

I finally analysed the thread survey results. I don't have time to make it a more readable image though, sorry

the response rate is about the same as last time (~100 responses) though with much less spam and poo poo, which made my job easier this time.

still, there's probably not enough data to draw any meaningful, statistically significant conclusions here, like whether a certain group is truly more or less hopeful about the future. but we can pretend. anyway hope you found it interesting!

edit: oh by the way, these are averages, not medians. i was comfortable using averages this time because there were no major outliers.

Are there any interesting differences in how doomer lurkers are versus non-lurkers? Edit: nevermind it's right loving there on the graph. my bad.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Hey I'm hollerin' here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I love how dumb this all is and how many chances we had to avoid it.