Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nep-Nep posted:

I agree that the 8-bitdo Pro 2 is good, additionally has gyro and can be used with other platforms. One note is it can't wake the console. For me the only downside I've run into with it is I find the trigger buttons to be way too sensitive for my liking. It's not an issue with actual gameplay but if I put the controller down at an angle sometimes I just slightly brush the trigger and it counts as input.
You can probably adjust that by hooking the controller up to a PC and using the remap software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Optimist Prime posted:

Speaking of TotK, a cave question: I've seen a few cave entrances covered by indestructible stone slabs. Are they tied to a side quest/special equipment? Frog boy needs his gems.

They can all be opened if you know how

Other caves have riddles

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I thought i was doing pretty good when I wrapped up the rewards of the Bubbul gem quest only to discover i still had 98 caves to find. It's crazy how much there is to do in this game.

My plan right now is to get the rest of the shrines. I'm jumping from the Depths and Overworld to match locations for ones I'm missing. That's like 100% fool-proof right?. I imagine there is some shrines linked to main quest stuff, but I'll get to that eventually. Or should I do them now... I would really rather clear the Shrines first.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Just got my last shrine

One well still out there, someplace.... I may finally resort to looking poo poo up on the internet at this point.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

maybealabia posted:

Just got my last shrine

One well still out there, someplace.... I may finally resort to looking poo poo up on the internet at this point.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-interactive-map/

You can start clicking them off on that map if you wanna just cheat.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I just wrote this whole thing about a game I wanted to recommend but my phone froze up and dumped it. Short short version: it’s called Afterimage. It’s a really pretty metroidvania type with nice music. It took me a little bit to get the rhythm for it as I am not great at MV style games but I did pretty okay at it for the hour and a half or so I played this afternoon. It was $25 at best buy (free since I did the buy 2 get one free).

I still have a lot to figure out but it explains the very basics for the most part in the beginning. Worth looking at. The reviews are lower on the switch version than other versions which seems to be a result of some bugs that had not been worked out at launch, which appear to be patched now. It had a bug that apparently kept you from being able to finish the game. It seems it’s about 30 hours of gameplay (which probably assumes you’re good at metroidvanias).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

maybealabia posted:

Just got my last shrine

Isn't there someone you can talk to that gives you a hint about missing wells? Or am I mixing that up with caves for gems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuligin posted:

Yeah its awesome to have unskippable tutorials that unfold at a glacial place. Absolutely love and want more of that poo poo

It wouldn't be so bad if so many weren't garbage at actually teaching you how to play.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In fairness i dont think Pikmin 4's has been too bad so far but maybe it lasts a really long time idk

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Sad Panda posted:

Isn't there someone you can talk to that gives you a hint about missing wells? Or am I mixing that up with caves for gems.

No, but you can set the sensor to search for wells.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lostleaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnFM3msATio

If anyone has an exploitable switch, here's some crazy stuff you can do. This guy put linux on the switch then overclocked it. Then ran Titanfall 2 at 20FPS, God of War PC at 10FPS. Nintendo left a lot of performance on the table here for docked mode. They showed benchmarks almost doubling with overclocking memory, GPU and CPU.

Hell yeah brother I definitely want to play triple AIDS game God of War on my Nintendo Switch at 10fps. That sounds amazing. Cheers bro.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuligin posted:

In fairness i dont think Pikmin 4's has been too bad so far but maybe it lasts a really long time idk

It's not usually a problem Nintendo games have, but the rest of the industry definitely has issues with tutorials that are there to check a box and either introduce game mechanics seperate from any context or are outright misleading and seem to be based on an earlier build.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

my launch pro controller is on its last legs and I'm gonna have to replace it soon. Is the official pro controller still the best option? Do they still have that d-pad issue that I had to fix with scotch tape?

You want the 8bitdo Ultimate. Has gyro, a good d-pad, and can wake the console. Most importantly, it has hall effect sticks, so it won't drift.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I want that hidden performance that lets it run PC games like poo poo and melts the processor
Great find

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'll just hold up my joycons near the monitor while I play youtube videos at 0.25 playback to simulate it and keep my Switch safe. Best of both worlds. :smug:

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

An Actual Princess posted:

Hell yeah brother I definitely want to play triple AIDS game God of War on my Nintendo Switch at 10fps. That sounds amazing. Cheers bro.

My appreciation for the video is not that you can play "triple AIDS" games. It's the same appreciation as the guy who put literal logic gates in TOTK or someone putting doom on a TI84. The technical skill behind it is just amazing.

Also if you actually watch the video, you'll gain an appreciation for how well engineered the Switch chip is for a 6 year old SOC.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I appreciate the switch already

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Some people just need to tinker with stuff

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Keep making games like TOTK and I could barely give less of a poo poo how the hardware limits the graphical performance.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a slight fever but Pikmin 4 is better looking than most high tech AAA games imo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hatty posted:

I have a slight fever but Pikmin 4 is better looking than most high tech AAA games imo

i started playing pikmin 4 around 9pm last night and then it was 3am

games real good

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Nintendo has almost always done more with art direction then everyone else could do with gigaflops of blast processing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

maybealabia posted:

Nintendo has almost always done more with art direction then everyone else could do with gigaflops of blast processing

Also fewer bugs in their entire catalogue combined, compared to even a single ubisoft, EA, or Bethesda title.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I appreciate the switch already

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Instead of making my Switch into a Steam Deck I instead bought a Steam Deck.

I love both handheld consoles.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mega64 posted:

If you have a steam deck you sort of already do have both consoles.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mister Facetious posted:

Also fewer bugs in their entire catalogue combined, compared to even a single ubisoft, EA, or Bethesda title.

Bethesda's cheating, but lol that you forgot speedrunning exists

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I don't think dumb half an A press things you can technically do to vibrate through walls if you're an obsessed speed runner really counts as the game being buggy when normal people will never encounter that poo poo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also the other games all have the same poo poo too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

BotW and TotK have bugs for sure, which is understandable, but to compare them to a Bethesda game is, well...lol rofl lmao.

Which is to say, good loving luck having a bug-free experience as an open world game, but god drat Bethesda/Obsidian games are in their own league of bugginess.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The Pyra and Mythra amiibos apparently released the other day. I dont remember them being given an exact release date but I guess I missed it along with my chance to not have my butthole and wallet molested by scalpers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Unless there's been a breakthrough since then I thought BOTW speedruns were actually fairly tame in that regard, it's mostly abusing how OP food buffs are and how not threatening the actual Ganon fight is. Physics-ing yourself into Hyrule Castle with a Stasis catapult is technically the intended game mechanics.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

My condolences for your unmolested butthole.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pikmin 4 has bugs. Birds too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

BotW and TotK have bugs for sure, which is understandable, but to compare them to a Bethesda game is, well...lol rofl lmao.

Which is to say, good loving luck having a bug-free experience as an open world game, but god drat Bethesda/Obsidian games are in their own league of bugginess.
I'm a Skyrim enjoyer (in fact, I'm doing a playthrough right now), but yeah, there's no comparison between Nintendo and Bethesda QA-wise. The last time I played through Skyrim I had to use a console command to move the game forward because a bug stopped a plot-essential quest from proceeding the way it was supposed to and got me stuck trying to do something. I was playing with the unofficial fan patch that does a lot of bug fixing. That didn't happen when I played Breath of the Wild!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Bethesda jank myself and spent a shitload of time in Skyrim. It's just, there's a good reason two of my top games of this gen is BotW and TotK.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mr.Acula posted:

The Pyra and Mythra amiibos apparently released the other day. I dont remember them being given an exact release date but I guess I missed it along with my chance to not have my butthole and wallet molested by scalpers.

It was Friday. I ordered mine and will get them on the 29th. If you want I can try to snag another set. They come in and out of stock. I still also have a spare set of the windwaker ones.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I pre-ordered the purple GameCube Nitro Deck and I can't wait

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
drat the new pikmin really do be showing off nice game design of letting you go at your own pace at the start and giving you the tools and walking you through it

and then tugging you out for a slow, poddling tutorial and characterization segment after taking everything away

why

give me the plants and shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mega64 posted:

I did too, as a present to myself for getting a raise at my job. Both are very good and I love them.