Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Akainu has been depicted as frustrated with the World Government a few times. I could imagine it coming to a head with him ignoring orders if they tell him to sit tight during the coming war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I disagree. I think he's been having doubts about absolute justice with the current state of things which is why we keep getting those great scenes of paper pusher sakazuki at his wits' end. I wouldnt be surprised if theres no big akainu fight the past two years seem to have changed him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elite posted:

When the WG decides to wipe a kingdom off the map on a flimsy pretext then Akainu doesn’t even blink.

I don't think Akainu would see the reason for destroying Ohara as "a flimsy pretext." The Ancient Weapons are a pretty big deal!

If you're referring to Lulusia, I'm pretty sure Akainu doesn't know about that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No Wave posted:

I disagree. I think he's been having doubts about absolute justice with the current state of things which is why we keep getting those great scenes of paper pusher sakazuki at his wits' end. I wouldnt be surprised if theres no big akainu fight the past two years seem to have changed him.

No, Sakazuki's frustrations are pretty clearly a mix of "THOSE GOVERNMENT CLOWNS AND THEIR RED TAPE ARE GETTING IN THE WAY" and there just being a bunch of world-shaking stuff happening that he has no realistic way of stopping (this was like 90% of Sengoku's scenes before Marineford.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yes, those are his frustrations. But the end meaning of those frustrations is that absolute justice isn't possible, the state just isnt powerful or competent enough. It's why lazy justice is better than absolute justice even if you dont care about the body count, the world is too messy and the WG is bad.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Akainu has been depicted as frustrated with the World Government a few times. I could imagine it coming to a head with him ignoring orders if they tell him to sit tight during the coming war.

Yeah, it seems more likely that rather than turning against the World Government entirely, he'll break ranks at a critical moment when they tell him to sit tight because there's a Situation right on their doorstep that he could personally resolve, and he either charges into battle unprepared against a foe he has no way to defeat (admittedly not a very long list at the moment), or a World Government stooge backstabs him because now that he's getting in the way of their carefully-laid plans he's just as disposable as the rest.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Well, Mariejois is going to have to fall by the end of the story, and my bet is that it’s going to be collateral damage to someone like him. I do think Oda ended Wano the way he did seemingly to set precedent that “no really, magma is still threatening.”

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Has Robin really only had two solo for real fights? Fat dude ducking with the ruins and Black Maria?

In fairness the last time those kinds of solo fights were happening was what, Thriller Bark or Fishman Island?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There are a lot of crew members it’s hard to involve them all. I think someone in this thread realized that there was a seven year gap where Luffy and Franky did not interact at all

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
How many solo fights Robin gets depends on how you define a "fight." Her powers tend to be all-or-nothing; she either wins instantly or loses instantly.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

God Ussop has Divine Haki, a level above mere Conquerer's Haki

"D" ivine Haki

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

hatty posted:

There are a lot of crew members it’s hard to involve them all. I think someone in this thread realized that there was a seven year gap where Luffy and Franky did not interact at all

but enies lobby happened 2 years ago in-story though

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Robin got to be Rebecca's protective umbrella for that fight with the flag fruit guy in Dressrosa.

That was a little lame.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CommunityEdition posted:

Well, Mariejois is going to have to fall by the end of the story, and my bet is that it’s going to be collateral damage to someone like him. I do think Oda ended Wano the way he did seemingly to set precedent that “no really, magma is still threatening.”

Mariejois is going to fall alright, down to sea level when the red line sinks into the sea

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

Robin got to be Rebecca's protective umbrella for that fight with the flag fruit guy in Dressrosa.

That was a little lame.

It was kinda cool realizing that she’s honestly pretty tough to take that level of abuse since all that pain transfers to her, at least.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bitmap posted:

why do you all think coby has conquerors haki? he did a big punch. not like he glared at the pirates and they passed out.

He has the lightning and presumably didn't physically touch the giant hand which are both properties of coating yourself in conqueror's

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kild posted:

He has the lightning and presumably didn't physically touch the giant hand which are both properties of coating yourself in conqueror's

yup. and the times that black lightning has appeared even when a character didnt have conquerers at the moment, they developed in within an arc or so.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nami has Conquerors so why can’t Coby

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Kild posted:

ah, missed the black lightning. I guess you can grow into the qualities of a king

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/carliwara/status/1682412694060650497?s=20

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ades3pQbeh8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HE SAID THE THING

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

honestly a much better trailer for the live action than the first one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was much better than the first trailer but I’m not a fan of that Arlong design at all (he’s just a guy painted purple with something strapped to the top of his nose). Everything else looks fairly decent though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 22, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
definitely better, i like the sea king

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Now hold on just one goddamn second!!!

That looked kinda good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So like those water slides

Is Arlong Park

a water park

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Arlong looks awful and Sanji looks straight up bizarre when hes flipping around

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will take a guy with a cheesy prosthetic over a bad CGI man any day

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll never watch it but it seems like they’re having fun making it. Happy for ‘em

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's a much better trailer but a weird mix of stuff looking really good and stuff looking REALLY bad (Arlong). Most importantly perhaps:

hatty posted:

it seems like they’re having fun making it.

Yeah, the spirit appears to be there at least.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

I will take a guy with a cheesy prosthetic over a bad CGI man any day

Yeah there was no world where fully CGI fish men would look good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

So like those water slides

Is Arlong Park

a water park

What kind of park did you think it was?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
trailer park

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

arlong looks like he's from tng and it owns

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also like people were wondering where the heck they would put Garp in East Blue and

oh yeah

Roger's execution

He'd probably be there huh

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

:bignews:

Big ups for the News Coo.

Arlong looks wonky, but overall I’m impressed with how they’ve appeared to rearrange some stuff. Really hoping the episodes are on the long side if there’s only 8.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
arlong looks horrible but they actually managed to sell luffys powers. it only took like 250 million dollars or whatever, but they made a stretchy person look good in live action. good job.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The devil fruit powers look way better than i expected, but honestly I didnt even imagine they'd look anything close to good, so that's a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also nice little touch: On the wanted posters they reference both Foxy and Bellamy